PDA

View Full Version : A good MMORPG

EtherTap
11-19-2003, 08:48 PM
Im looking for a MMO to play, and I was wondering, is it worth it to start DAoC?? I have the game (it was a gift) but I havent played it. If there is anyone on here who plays, or knows a better alternative, let me know :)

Im really just looking for a game to play until the beta for WoW comes out, and hopefully I get accepted (god knows when).

If anyone can list the improvements to SWG from early august, that would be cool too. I know cities and mounts are in, but are they good? Have they made the game balanced or fun yet?

Misocainea
11-19-2003, 09:00 PM
*cough*FinalFantasy11*cough*

GatoFiero
11-19-2003, 09:05 PM
All MMORPGS are the devil. They are nothing but traps to steal your money. The verdict is still out on Final Fantasy 11, but it's a good bet the good ol' blizzard will do it right with World of Warcraft.

Edit - Although knowing blizzard's record it'll probably 2015 before they finally put out World of Warcraft.

Eleat
11-19-2003, 09:22 PM
*points to avvie* I play Anarchy Online, and it's quite a bit of fun. I've played Everquest, Planetside, and betaed Fung Wan Online, and it's definately the best of them all.

GatoFiero
11-19-2003, 09:25 PM
*points to avvie* I play Anarchy Online, and it's quite a bit of fun. I've played Everquest, Planetside, and betaed Fung Wan Online, and it's definately the best of them all.

EVIL!! *tackles Eleat to the ground*
Repent! *bashes Eleat's head into the ground*
Forsake your demonic slave drivers! *bashes Eleat's head into the ground*

Deathosaurus Wrecks
11-19-2003, 09:26 PM
yes, gato is definately on to something with his "MMORPGs are the devil" theory.

however, if you are willing to put up with paying for a game experience you can get for much less...DAoC is a good game (i have not personaly played it much, but ive heard nothing but goodness from those who have). Planetside i would strongly reccomend AGAINST, theres hardly enough content in that game to require a monthly fee. if you're looking for something star-shipy Earth and Beyond isnt too bad (i played it for a year and a half before stopping), and you can usualy get lots of free time from EA.

Eleat
11-19-2003, 09:36 PM
Well, ordinarily I'd go into my usual shpeal about how MMORPGs are always introducing new content and cost of operation and all sorts of other things, but you don't want to hear it and I really don't want to say it. You don't want to do it, that's fine... just don't tell me that I shouldn't. :P

Deathosaurus Wrecks
11-19-2003, 09:41 PM
Well, ordinarily I'd go into my usual shpeal about how MMORPGs are always introducing new content and cost of operation and all sorts of other things, but you don't want to hear it and I really don't want to say it. You don't want to do it, that's fine... just don't tell me that I shouldn't. :P

please, indulge us. i find the MMORPG genre and its workings quite interesting. and after playing EnB from beta to a year into it, i have quite a few thoughts on the topic myself.

GatoFiero
11-19-2003, 09:41 PM
With MMORPGs it's not releasing new content, it's fixing imbalances in the gameplay because everybody is constantly looking for a twink. It's also fixing bugs that the didn't get out in the first release, or fixing bugs created by the patches that fix the gameplay imbalances. The only thing that sets FF11 apart from all of this is the fact that it's been play tested by an entire country for an entire year before it was released to america.

Eleat
11-19-2003, 09:58 PM
Well, if you all really want me to I'll do my best.

MMORPGs: why they cost per month

1) Constant balancing, and new content. Oftentimes a game will be released, but fail to be any fun because of horrible balancing. A prime example of this is Dark Reign... the Freedom Guard is woefully overpowered by the Imperium in almost every way. More recent releases like Command & Conquer: Generals still have the same problem. MMORPGs are constantly changing, keeping the game balanced so everyone has fun. If some glitch in the code occurs that gives someone an unfair advantage, it's usually taken care of within 24 hours. The same with content... look at The Sims, for example. They have LOTs of new content... but you have to pay for it. MMORPGs (Everquest being the major exception) tend to release free content on a monthly basis, if not more often than that, always keeping the game fresh.

2) They gotta run the durn things. Think about all the Counterstrike servers there are. "Wait a moment," you say, "Counterstrike is FREE!"... well, yes and no. It's free to you, the gamer. The people who run the servers are footing the bill for you. Unfortunately, when there are thousands of players on a server at any given time, all the bandwidth and server costs really start to add up, and no company is going to turn a profit paying for all of that if all the customer does is pay $50 for the initial game and then play 30 hours a week for a year. It isn't going to happen.

3. They have to pay their staff. Constantly. Whereas a normal game's price includes all the hard work of programmers who dilligently code the software you are entertained with, once the game is on the shelves they're doing other things. With MMORPGs, being a developer or coder for the game becomes a career... so after the initial two years of development, their staff is going to keep on working adding new content, fixing bugs, balancing, and whatever else needs to get done.

4. Customer Service. This one's a biggie. When you're playing a game like Neverwinter Nights or Battlefield 1942 and some lamer's doing nothing but grief everyone else, what can you do? Nothing, unless you're a system administrator. MMORPGs have staff whose job is to make sure that you, the player, are having an enjoyable gaming experience. Someone constantly ganking you? They get reported and dealt with. Some bug preventing you from completing a quest? Often times a GM will come in to help you as needed.

5. Profit. I'm going to be honest, every game is designed to turn a profit... that's just the way things are. Some games are more about profit than others... *cough*Planetside*cough* However, when you consider all of the costs that MMORPG companies have over standard games, of course they're going to put a little extra on that cost... it's common business sense.

All in all, though, MMORPGs aren't for everyone. If you don't like that style of game or simply don't like the concept of paying every month, don't do it. Just make sure you know why there's a monthly fee before you start slamming those games for them.

Sstryk72
11-19-2003, 10:09 PM
I'm still trying to find a good MMORPG for building, and not just, "I build new weapons/items." I mean, yeah combat is all well and good, but I like to play a game where I can build, or help build up, like a whole kingdom or something, not just my own little group or whatever.

Eleat
11-19-2003, 10:11 PM
If that's what you're looking for I think Dark Age of Camelot or Star Wars Galaxies would be best for you.

transcend
11-19-2003, 10:11 PM
I understand the monthly fee, but as I understand it, these companies make a killer profit off of them. There's no reason they can't drop it.

Moreover, I think that all MMORPGs should be burned.

Deathosaurus Wrecks
11-19-2003, 10:14 PM
very good points, and i am in 90% agreement. the other 10%? mainly point four.

this is more of a personal experience with the MMORGPs i guess, but i have seen very little controll on behalf of the GMs in the games that ive played (granted, thats only 2). in EnB, there was literaly no end to the griefing (or whining, for that matter), and it seemed that there was little that the GMs could do/were willing to do. i dont know if thats just the quality of people they hired, the leagal restrictions from EA, or what. AFAIK, there are no GMs or controlling authorities in Planetside (just the grief point system).

when playing a game like BF1942, or Wolfenstien: Enemy Territory, ive seen much higher standards of player controll enforced by the people running the servers. Especialy in W:ET, where greifing/problem players can be voted off the server.

Eleat
11-19-2003, 10:18 PM
From what I understand Anarchy Online is at the top of the others in terms of customer service and whatnot... it's quite good... though that's largely from the ARK program (ARKs are volunteers who help the GMs by taking care of minor problems... heck, there's even an ARK program for introducing new players to the game)

Illuminatus
11-19-2003, 10:46 PM
My two bits:

Star Wars Galaxies. But only if you're the patient type. It has issues, but they don't bother me. Plus SOE is doing a fairly good job of adding new content and fixing things. It really gets better with every update. Plus if you're a builder type...this is THE MMORPG for you.

I normally agree with MMORPG's are evil...but it's Star Wars...you know?

GatoFiero
11-19-2003, 10:52 PM
MUDs provide the same gameplay experiences without the cost. Granted they don't have graphics, but that is a good thing because it allows anyone's system to play and requires the player to use their own imagination (not to sound too corny but that's the best graphics ever). Although i do admit that i have been tempted by MMORPGs before i have always been drawn away from them for because:

1. They are designed to fleece the player for cash.
2. Not enough Immortal Involvment (Immortals aka mods aka GMs). There is just something personal about it when an imm decides to have some fun and makes you invulnerable/immobile/don't act and then puts you in the middle of an enemy race's town.
3. Glitchy and susceptible to lag.
4. Player killing is screwy...if there is even any player killing. What's the fun of an online RPG if you can't pk. And allowing pk of noobs is a good thing cause it generates jobs for bounty hunters to hunt the murders.

Personally i like MUDs, and i would play MMORPGs (and gladly pay for them) if they were more like MUDs. But their not, they are there to take your money.

Edit - But i might try some of the newer MMORPGs after awhile, to give them time to progress and become playable. SWG in a year, WoW a month after it comes out, and FF11 if there's a demo with some free time so i can check it out.

EtherTap
11-19-2003, 11:00 PM
I played AO for about a year before I burned out, the biggest reason being the horrid imbalances in the game. I mostly played a MA and a Fixer, with the MA being a god in PvM but worthless in PvP, while I found the fixer to only be ok.

I was thinking about FFXI, but I really dont feel like paying 50$ for a game right now, and on top of that 15+ a month to play, while I like MMOs, I have to keep costs down (college is expensive). I played SWG this summer, and it was OK, but I picked really gimped classes (Squad Leader/Carbineer) and most everything was broken, and there was no content to speak of. I wanted to be a crafter, and the crafting system kicks ass, but it takes to much time and money to manage harvesters.

Ill probably give DAoC a try, but Im really looking forward to WoW.

I, Jack the Pumpkin King
11-19-2003, 11:14 PM
Star Wars Galaxies just realesed a new profession- politician-where you can build up your own cities. I haven't looked into the proffesion much, but you said you were looking for something that you could actually build with. SWG is definitely the best choice for that, but you must be patient.

Very Patient.

Edit- You must also be a chronic liar to take this proffesion as well. :D

Spyder_God
11-19-2003, 11:28 PM
Hmm... what do you guys think of Shadowbane (http://www.chronicle.ubi.com):cool:

Deathosaurus Wrecks
11-19-2003, 11:40 PM
as far as MUDs go, the Unofficial Square Soft Mud was pretty fun. i remember my ninja-monk-dragoon character, that was crazy.

Yoshi
11-20-2003, 12:50 AM
Here's the best thing to do. Search for a game in open beta, or open alfa. Play the game to death, reporting any bugs as you move across, any glitches and such. This should sate you, and generally beta tests are free.

Conquer Online is still in Alfa, and is still free. It's a fun game, and I have no problems with it(except for the unhandled amounts of PKing.)