PDA

View Full Version : So There I Am In The Campus Store, Ready To Support My School

Seil
01-27-2010, 11:16 AM
So there I am in my campus store, ready to support my school (http://www.viu.ca/) and get a school sweatshirt and I was like "This one looks neat." and then I looked at the price and was like "For $68.79 I could just get a shirt and scribble VIU on it all neat-like."

Don't the people in the cafe and the bookstore and the student shops know that we're all poor, unemployed students? The reason we're paying tuition and textbook fees is that so hopefully down the line we can afford to pay outrageous sums for clothing. Now, I like hoodies as much as the next guy - in fact, I just bought my first hoodie this month, and it's really comfy and warm. But I dun wanna spend upwards of $50 for one.

What happened along the line for universities to start charging so much for clothing? Between tuition, student fees, textbooks and transportation, not to mention some students are living on campus, trying to support themselves and get food and such... Gee whiz.

CelesJessa
01-27-2010, 12:13 PM
What happened along the line for universities to start charging so much for clothing? Between tuition, student fees, textbooks and transportation, not to mention some students are living on campus, trying to support themselves and get food and such... Gee whiz.

Huh that's weird. At my college they practically give you free school t-shirts any chance they can get, especially freshman year. I'm super stingy with money but about half of my t-shirt collection is university-clothing. (I'm pretty sure the bookstore had a "buy one, get two free" deal going on at some point.)

Although I imagine the sweatshirts and stuff are more expensive to the point of what you're talking about.

Funka Genocide
01-27-2010, 12:16 PM
That is pretty ridiculous. I have bought just as much over priced clothing as the next guy (well... as the next clothing obsessed metrosexual guy) but I'd never spend that much on a hoodie.

Hoodies are meant to be tossed on when you just don't give a fuck, they're super casual clothes for super casual times. Like playing football in the mud or whatever. I could never understand why people would pay such exorbitant prices for trashy looking clothes. Same thing with sports jerseys and stupid t shirts. Or sports shoes that are only worn for the sake of "fashion."

It's utilitarian clothes, its not designed to look good. I only pay high prices for clothes that makes me look like I pay high prices for my clothes.

bluestarultor
01-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Actually, schools need all the money they can get. The textbook industry pretty much screws them as much as the students and I'm pretty sure most of the money they get in goes to paying their giant staff and utilities and stuff. A lot of schools are trying to cut back now because of the economic crisis and I think I heard some talk that Wisconsin schools were getting less funding this year across the board.

Osterbaum
01-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Classical liberalism and capitalism happened.

TopHatAssassin
01-27-2010, 06:51 PM
T-shirts at my school are fairly cheap (but then again judging be feel the material may not be so hot either, I donno). I'm not sure about sweaters and the heavier things, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were in a similar price range upwards of $50.

Don't the people in the cafe and the bookstore and the student shops know that we're all poor, unemployed students?

Of course they do! They just don't care. :p

Funny story! Last year the school bookstore actually had an online quiz-type thing where you had to answer questions about what the bookstore was doing with your money, and every answer was about how they were trying to help the students. It was pretty much a campaign about how they're not trying to screw us all over with book prices. There was a prize, some sort of scooter or something, but I didn't win. :(

DarkDrgon
01-27-2010, 07:25 PM
It even haqppens in High school. My classes senior sweats minimum package was $70 for a crappy T-shirt and aweful hoody.

I beat the system by buying a $10 hoody, $1 carboard box, and $3 spray paint can and stenciling up my own.

Hanuman
01-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Sounds like Dark Drgon got gouged on the cardboard. Dude, walk around alleys and find a bin saying CARDBOARD on it (behind 1/10th the high traffic shops aprox), there is like 200LBS of cardboard in there free to anyone all the time.

School advertisement is counter-intuitive. You spend extra money on clothes, the money goes to the school but the advertisement only supports school spirit. What would be MORE awesome is to have party funds, get together an awesome group of like 25 people, all chip in $10 every week and go nuts, that'd be dishing funds back into the students AND raising school spirit.

OR

Just donate directly to the school and then go to a swap party.

DarkDrgon
01-27-2010, 07:54 PM
It was a big box, I made like 10 elaborate stencils and the school one, so I dont feel too bad.

phil_
01-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Just donate directly to the school and then go to a swap party.I'll donate to my school as soon as they donate a few classes my way.

Mike McC
01-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Now, I like hoodies as much as the next guy - in fact, I just bought my first hoodie this month, and it's really comfy and warm. But I dun wanna spend upwards of $50 for one.Around $50-$70 is not all that uncommon of a hoodie price range.Huh that's weird. At my college they practically give you free school t-shirts any chance they can get, especially freshman year. I'm super stingy with money but about half of my t-shirt collection is university-clothing. (I'm pretty sure the bookstore had a "buy one, get two free" deal going on at some point.)My school used to do this as well, but it's dropped off in the last year as they've been more strapped for cash.

stefan
01-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Around $50-$70 is not all that uncommon of a hoodie price range.

that's ridiculous. I bought my favorite leather coat for seventy bucks, a hoodie is made of cotton.

bluestarultor
01-27-2010, 08:29 PM
that's ridiculous. I bought my favorite leather coat for seventy bucks, a hoodie is made of cotton.

Obviously, you are a peon who doesn't wear name brands. *hotiy-toity sniff*

Seriously, though, I agree with this. People pay WAYYYY too much for designer clothing. Put the holes in the knees yourselves, you rich saps!

Mike McC
01-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Actually, expensive jeans tend to last longer, fit better, and are generally more comfortable. I mean, I wear the cheap-ass $20 pairs I get at Walmart, because I am a cheap-ass, but they suffer crotch disintegration fairly rapidly. Sometimes things are more expensive for a reason.

But seriously, when a cheap printed T-Shirt is $15, what do you EXPECT a hoodie to be priced at?

Hanuman
01-27-2010, 09:15 PM
tend to last longer
Go to a work clothing store and get some rated for roofing.

You pay extra, but at least your light wallet doesn't empty for fashion's sake.

Seil
01-27-2010, 09:17 PM
I got my good solid color t-shirts at Walmart for like, five bucks. I frequent thrift stores, and find great deals all the time. (http://forum.nuklearpower.com/showthread.php?t=28376) Most of my wardrobe has been purchased from a thrift store, and I've got a really nice silk shirt, a few pairs of jeans and a few white and black collared shirts all less than five dollars apiece.

The only thing I don't buy at thrift stores are my undershorts and my other t-shirts. The Reservoir Dog one, or the Curious George ones.

CelesJessa
01-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Actually, expensive jeans tend to last longer, fit better, and are generally more comfortable. I mean, I wear the cheap-ass $20 pairs I get at Walmart, because I am a cheap-ass, but they suffer crotch disintegration fairly rapidly. Sometimes things are more expensive for a reason

Although there is a HUGE difference between expensive jeans and expensive jeans. (http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2920279?cm_cat=datafeed&cm_pla=bottoms:men:pant&cm_ite=diesel%28r%29_%27zathan%27_bootcut_jeans_%2 8the_clean_uncleaned_wash%29:170465&cm_ven=Froogle&mr:trackingCode=17E3CFFD-D981-DE11-B712-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA)

Honestly I don't think there's a huge difference between cheap clothes and expensive clothes, in quality. I wonder if the quality is actually better or it's because you're going to treat your expensive clothes nicer than your cheap clothes.

I mean, at least for girls. T-shirts from Abercrombie or something are, like, paper thin in comparison to cheapo t-shirts from Wal Mart.

Wigmund
01-27-2010, 09:35 PM
I've gotten plenty of cheap clothes from Walmart that wear just fine. Hell, I've had some pants and shirts for years. They look fine, and they last plenty long enough when you're spending 10 bucks for a button-up shirt and $15 for a pair of khaki-jeans.

As for college gear, I've actively avoided buying anything with my school's mascot on it.
http://www.bbvrazorbackclub.org/images/Razorback%20Logo.gif

But I did buy a shirt for about 20 dollars with the school's seal on it.
http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikipedia/en/3/34/UniversityofArkansasSeal.png

Mike McC
01-27-2010, 09:37 PM
I got my good solid color t-shirts at Walmart for like, five bucks. I frequent thrift stores, and find great deals all the time. (http://forum.nuklearpower.com/showthread.php?t=28376) Most of my wardrobe has been purchased from a thrift store, and I've got a really nice silk shirt, a few pairs of jeans and a few white and black collared shirts all less than five dollars apiece.Yes, unadorned and second-hand clothing is cheaper.Although there is a HUGE difference between expensive jeans and expensive jeans. (http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2920279?cm_cat=datafeed&cm_pla=bottoms:men:pant&cm_ite=diesel%28r%29_%27zathan%27_bootcut_jeans_%2 8the_clean_uncleaned_wash%29:170465&cm_ven=Froogle&mr:trackingCode=17E3CFFD-D981-DE11-B712-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA)Well yeah, there is a limit. That's well beyond it.Honestly I don't think there's a huge difference between cheap clothes and expensive clothes, in quality. I wonder if the quality is actually better or it's because you're going to treat your expensive clothes nicer than your cheap clothes.I find that there is. And really, once I own clothing I treat it like my other clothing and I wear the HELL out of it. And yes, more expensive clothing does tend to last a significant amount of time longer than the shit I buy in Walmart.I mean, at least for girls. T-shirts from Abercrombie or something are, like, paper thin in comparison to cheapo t-shirts from Wal Mart.Honestly, the thickness of the fabric means jack if the seams are shit. And I've had some shirts that were thin fabric last a good long while, longer than my Hanes Beefy T's.

Seil
01-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Yes, unadorned and second-hand clothing is cheaper.

I prefer my clothing unadorned. Most times I just want a plain black t-shirt, a regular pair of dark blue jeans or jest a regular, plain white collared shirt. I usually find grandiose patterns of skulls or flames that just look tacky and awful. What's wrong with a plain, white shirt?

I refuse to buy sweatpants because - although I do own a pair and they are comfy - I can't find any decent plain ones. They all have "Juicy" or something else written on the butt. The ones I own I actually got for free at fire training when I was getting my S100 license, and they've got the title of the camp and the sponsors, and it actually looks pretty cool. Still got that t-shirt, too.

Mike McC
01-27-2010, 10:06 PM
I refuse to buy sweatpants because - although I do own a pair and they are comfy - I can't find any decent plain ones. They all have "Juicy" or something else written on the butt.Maybe you should stop shopping in the girls section.

Phantom7
01-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Maybe you should stop shopping in the girls section.

I agree, seriously, where do you think you are when all of the sweats are labeled "spoiled" or "princess?"

bluestarultor
01-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Honestly, the thickness of the fabric means jack if the seams are shit. And I've had some shirts that were thin fabric last a good long while, longer than my Hanes Beefy T's.

Just to point this out, but you can always repair a popped seam quite easily. A rip in the fabric means it's totally ruined.

Also, I've found that buying name brand isn't always the best choice, anyway, since a good deal of it simply is not built to last. I had a pair of Nikes that lasted all of one week before the rubber pulled away from the toes, and when I bought off-brand shoes, I wore them from the time I was in 8th grade to just this past year until my mom finally threw them out for being old and a bit dirty. There was nothing structurally wrong with them.

Seil
01-27-2010, 11:36 PM
Eh, I was making a point. The trouble, at least in a small town like mine, is finding something simple. Everything around is like has some sort of emblem or slogan or badge or whatever, and it always looks terrible. I just want a plain, white sweatshirt.

Mike McC
01-27-2010, 11:59 PM
Eh, I was making a point. The trouble, at least in a small town like mine, is finding something simple. Everything around is like has some sort of emblem or slogan or badge or whatever, and it always looks terrible. I just want a plain, white sweatshirt.Bleach.

Seil
01-28-2010, 12:06 AM
It just seems like too much trouble, and with my know-how, I'd end up reducing the thing to a splotchy, tattered mess.

Funka Genocide
01-28-2010, 12:56 AM
We all suffer for fashion, yeah or whatever.

synkr0nized
01-28-2010, 07:34 AM
Yo school stores charge all this because they know you can get mom and dad to buy you one.

ba-zing

Darth SS
01-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Ha! Sucker, the UofS hands out a free t-shirt to every new student at Orientation! So for one day, everyone wears the logo and gets indoctrinated. They're also ugly shirts, so everyone wears them in the gym. It's...um...kind of freaky in practice actually. It looks like some kind of Saskatchewan army training centre.

Magus
02-04-2010, 03:30 PM
If you're going casual clothes from Wal-Mart, Faded Glory jeans are superior to Wrangler, and Fruit of the Loom is superior to Hanes as far as unmarked t-shirts go. If you're looking for print t-shirts, I'd recommend Faded Glory again. Oddly enough, Puritan dress pants are more durable than the more expensive George ones. Finally, if you have size 14 feet you'll have to go to another store, as Wal-Mart doesn't carry anything bigger than 13, the jerks. I recommend Sears, as they usually have quite a few shoes on clearance. I was able to buy four pairs of Reebok sneakers for around forty dollars, for instance, and they sometimes have dress shoes on clearance as well.

Keep in mind that you get what you pay for, but if you are poor, Wal-Mart is not bad, you just have to know which brands to buy there. Sears is another good store to shop at, as is JC Penny to an extent.

PyrosNine
02-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Pyros has had to purchase an Umbrella on campus because I don't like getting wet at all, especially with things I own that can get wet.

But the only local place that sold them was the NCSU Bookstore. A NCSU umbrella costs more than Modern Warfare 2.

Eventually after a rainy seasons, the local convenience stores wised up and I could get an umbrella for the cost of Quest64.

Magus
02-04-2010, 06:30 PM
I don't know, I got Quest 64 for like four bucks. I think we're talking a more expensive copy of Quest 64, possibly with cover and manual. In any case, I wouldn't pay more for an umbrella than the cost of a Greatest Hits game, really.

Although I don't think I've ever bought an umbrella. Hmmm...

Hanuman
02-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Quest 64 was awesome... but broken.
MAGIC SHIELD
MANA DRAIN
AVALANCHE
???
PROFIT

PyrosNine
02-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I got my umbrella for like 4 bucks. It's cheap and threatens to be ripped apart in strong winds, but the way I see it, I can always buy another one.

It also has a innovative battle system that could have been revamped and improved for greater fun and a party system.