PDA

View Full Version : The Sandwich: The platform of mankind's greatest achievements

TDK
02-15-2010, 06:43 PM
From the top down: Toast, spinach leaves, diced tomatoes, salsa, slow-barbecued pulled pork, mozzarella cheese, a steak, and then toast.

I saw GOD.

I believe the sandwich, while in and of itself not THAT amazing, provides a platform upon which mankind shows its greatness. The sandwich is not the greatest thing man has ever made, but the greatest thing a man has ever made was a sandwich.

Amake
02-15-2010, 06:54 PM
It's not for nothing the Swedish word for sandwich is our most internationally used word. Truly an amazing achivement. I like to get these two foot long baguettes from the nearby store, hot out of the oven, and fill them with mushroom-flavored or some other interesting cheese, a variety of meats, hard cheese, cucumber, pickled cucumber, olives and fresh spinach.

On reflection, most of the great foods of the day are mutations of the sandwich. Kebab, hamburger, pizza, taco, burrito. In the middle ages we were infamously subsisting on bread for 80% of our meals; I think we still do.

Great Cartoonist
02-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Seeing as how I like steak, and I also like sandwiches, one day I went for the logical result.

A slice of roasted garlic bread with melted goat cheese and caramelized onions between two slices of prime rib.

Professor Smarmiarty
02-15-2010, 07:21 PM
We made a sandwich once that was 50 cm high without cheating and resorting to bread in the middle. Sandwichs are indeed tapestrys on which we weave our magic.

Krylo
02-15-2010, 07:47 PM
That's 1'7.5" for us Americans.

Damned impressive, Smarty. What was on it, and how the hell did you fit it into your mouth?

Jagos
02-15-2010, 09:24 PM
All I can think of is "OM-NOM-NOM-NOM!"

Premmy
02-16-2010, 01:59 AM
Damned impressive, Smarty. What was on it, and how the hell did you fit it into your mouth?

Too easy, just far too easy.

Krylo
02-16-2010, 01:59 AM
Too easy, just far too easy.

I honestly thought about making that joke instead of asking, but... yeah. That.

Archbio
02-16-2010, 03:22 AM
Proust approved. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croque-monsieur)

But really, all you need is grilled cheese with Jarlsberg cheese.

Satan's Onion
02-16-2010, 03:44 AM
Apparently Proust had damn good taste in sandwiches, because the sandwich described in that link Archbio provided looks really tasty.

I respectfully posit that rye bread is one of the best breads for almost any kind of sandwich you could care to make, particularly if your sandwich includes onions of some kind.

Also great: fried eggplant and tomato on sourdough. I can hardly wait until the weather gets warmer and the farmers' market reopens so I can make those again with nice fresh ingredients.

Professor Smarmiarty
02-16-2010, 03:55 AM

It was mostly various bits of meats and cheese- we had just had a bbq and had lots of meat left over.
We couldn't actually eat it properly- we pretty much just tore bits of it off to eat.

Geminex
02-16-2010, 04:10 AM
You should have sacrificed it to the gods of... college? Beards?

BitVyper
02-17-2010, 12:20 AM

Bigger mouth. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLfTjGC_MnY)

Funka Genocide
02-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Recent sandwiches I've made: Turkey breast sauteed in onion, garlic and olive oil with roasted asparagus and swiss cheese on sourdough.

Steak on toasted rye with baked brie cheese.

both have been extremely delicious.

I need to get my hands on some goose liver pate and maybe some truffle oil. nomnomnom

Wigmund
02-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Ham, Provolone, Swiss, Sauteed Onions on Garlic Focaccia bread with Chive & Onion Cream Cheese spread.

And today: Pepperoni, Genoa Salami, Provolone, Tomato & Basil Cheddar Cheese, Mayo & Honey Dijon Mustard on Sourdough. Cooked on a Foreman Grill until the cheese was all melty.

Foreman Grills & Sandwiches are an unbeatable combo.

Julford Hajime
02-17-2010, 11:06 PM
You fuckers and your fancy sandwiches.

Bread. Cheese of any variety. Mayonnaise/Mustard/Both. Ham/Turkey/Salami/Bologna/RoastBeef/Any combination of the two.

DONE.

Locke cole
02-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Last summer, just about every lunch I made myself was a panini; see, we have a panini maker (a George Foreman grill-type dealie, with the distinctive ridges to press and toast the bread just right), I would pile roast beef, cheddar cheese, and sauerkraut onto good old rye bread with mustard.

A simple sort of sandwich, to be sure, but grilling it made it just amazing

Funka Genocide
02-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Grilling is the best method of sandwich production. LET NONE CHALLENGE THIS TRUTH!

Also, your plebeian tastes are of no consequence Julford.

The Sevenshot Kid
02-18-2010, 11:31 PM
The Reuben is by far my favorite sandwich.

Smarty, you're gonna need a bigger mouth.