PDA

View Full Version : Outdated technology = Worthless

Hawk
02-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Wow so I just realised how slightly older technology has become almost completely and utterly worthless within a few short years. A friend of mine was looking at buying a psp 1000, with firmware no higher than 4.00, so he was asking around trying to find someone who might be willing to sell one.

I have such a psp, and I haven't used it for about a year, so I was more than happy to consider selling it and earning some much needed cash. Then he offers the money... somewhere in the region of 50-60 pounds. This thing cost me 180 back in 2004, not counting the 100 memory card that I also got for it. And quick look on ebay reveals that this is a generous offer; on there these things are going for around 30, or even as low as 2.50 for the card!

I mean... daamn! How did this thing become so obsolete within half a decade?? If I keep hold of it for another year or 2 would it be half the price again, or less? It's madness.

So yeah, anyone else had anything similar happen to them when they've come to sell what was once an expensive piece of hardware, only to find it's now about as worthful as a paper weight?

Azisien
02-25-2010, 11:36 AM
It's not really technology, but in my adolesence I'm sure I spent around $500 on my Pokemon card collection.

It's still in a box somewhere, and I think last I checked ebay, the collection would fetch a solid $5, on a good auction.

Loki, The Fallen
02-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Just about any PC I've built suffers from this, and as such I have yet to sell any of them. I look at some of my older builds that cost me a few thousand at the time to build, and by the time I consider an upgrade/replacement, I find that the best someone will offer me is a c note. So instead of re-sale I just hold on to them for projects or to run old software.

I have found, however, in the PC realm, ya just have to know who to sell it to. I work daily around 1980's PC and other computer technology, and we pay out the backside to get replacement parts. Several of our pieces of test equipment still run on 486 processors. It's kinda sad.

Technology just ain't a long term investment.

Funka Genocide
02-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Psh, you just need to sell to the government. Shit that was developed 50 years ago is still selling for a huge premium as long as Uncle Sam is buying.

Consumers are a bit more savvy than the American government though, so don't ever consider consumer electronics as an investment of any sort, they depreciate faster than automobiles.

Hanuman
02-25-2010, 07:43 PM
I love outdated technology, it's just technology that people have put so much of a down-payment on it up front I basically pay nothing for it later.

Heh

Nique
02-26-2010, 04:45 AM
My gaming has, generally, about a three-to-five year delay. Has saved me a lot of money.

synkr0nized
02-26-2010, 09:45 AM
You have to be reasonable with anything that's old and has much better counterparts on the market currently.

If you buy something for 200 dollars or pounds that has X, Y, and Z stats, it's silly to expect to get close to that much for it years later when 100-200 dollars or pounds can get you products with two or three or whatever times those stats. Unfortunately for you, I guess, you're looking at an electronic device, one of the faster areas of product upgrades and replacements. It's also very visible in the automobile market (like how they say your car loses value as soon as you buy it and drive it off the lot).

Other markets and items aren't as bad, if they don't change much over time. For example, a book you bought a decade back is probably not very different from the version sold now [aside from textbooks with edition changes] and can be sold for a similar price if it's not in terrible condition. Audio equipment, while a type of electronics, isn't as harsh as computers and gaming devices as long as it sounds good and is competitive. I've also successfully sold an older hard drive-based digital music player for a decent amount even though it wasn't new by a few years since its features and capabilities were still competitive. However, I had to be mindful of current prices at the time for comparable devices -- if my buyer could just go and buy a new one for only a little more, there was no motivation for him to take the used item.

But really computer hardware of all types isn't easy to fetch a high price for the more years that have gone by since it's been bought. I am constantly amused by ads on Craigslist for laptops that the seller bought for 700-800 dollars a year or two ago and wants to sell for 500-600****. For that much money, anyone could just go out and buy a current laptop that has better specs and is in new condition. You have to be aware of the market your item belongs to; it's the same for any used item you sell. It's just that what one can currently buy is usually much greater of a difference when it comes to computer hardware than other markets.

e: re-reading the OP, I suspect that you know this and are posting to complain/talk about the fact that electronics are upgraded so often rather than posting to express surprise or something. Oh well, this all is still relevant.

**** e2: This is actually a hobby of mine. In addition to looking for crazy deals I might want to take a stab at, I love all the fail postings. For example, I just read one that lists the machine as having "almost all Intel inside" with a Core Duo processor and chipset yet an "AMD QL-60 Athlon motherboard" (pst, that's not possibe; also, that's a Turion processor). Or this laptop for 250 with a 1.7 Ghz single-core processor, paltry 40 GB hard drive, and DDR memory. Just a little bit more (300, maybe 350) and one can get a new laptop with twice as much DDR2 or DDR3, a hard drive many times as large, and a more recent processor, even a dual-core. I guess people don't want to wait and save a little bit more money before buying.

Loki, The Fallen
02-26-2010, 10:51 AM
I guess people don't want to wait and save a little bit more money before buying.

In my case, it isn't as much that as having the coolest/latest/greatest PC hardware (within reason). I usually plan on an replacement every 2 to 3 years, and I want to remain competitive for that long if possible. I think it about balances out though, I upgrade every 2-3 years for 2-3 times as much money then if I upgraded every year or so.

Also in my case, I find it difficult to sell electronics I recently purchased at significantly lower then my purchase price, not that I find the market unfair in this situation, but the monetary gain of resale is tiny compared to having a functioning (albeit older/nearly obsolete) piece of equipment. The usefulness of the machine outweighs the money i could recoup. But then again, I am a huge pack-rat. :p

Did you end up selling it Hawk? I'd say keep it if you haven't, in a few years when you want to try playing one of those classics, you'll be able to do so without searching high or low for another one.