PDA

View Full Version : Stimulate my bird!

BitVyper
03-15-2010, 09:19 AM
So I have this parrot; a sun conure. He's surprisingly mellow for an adolescent, but very intelligent. One of the things he likes to do is take apart my nail clippers. There's nothing too special about that, but lately he's started putting them back together. He can't quite manage it all the way, but he gets all the way up to putting the lever back on before he can't manage it.

That in mind, I'm trying to think of some more small, mechanical things that he can disassemble. Preferably things he can lift (these are small-ish nail clippers) that have a few little parts and movement to them and are also shiny. Those big bird toys with all the boxes that can be unscrewed are kind of intimidating for a small bird, so I haven't had much luck with them, and I'm looking more into things that aren't bird toys at all. He's enjoyed things like old watches, playstation controllers, and computer keyboards in the past, but I prefer smaller things that actually have parts which are not too difficult to remove. The nailclippers are great because they have the lever so there's a lot of fun motion there for him. Pens are also fun, but I don't really like chancing him getting into the ink, because he will eventually.

Anyway, I'm having trouble thinking of things, so I thought I'd see if anyone has some ideas. Suggestions are appreciated.

greed
03-15-2010, 09:45 AM
One of those wire puzzles? You know those small wire things that you have to manipulate just right to pull apart and put back back together.

If you're worried about ink, one of those mechanical pens with replaceable ink cores, minus the ink core could work.

Kerensky287
03-15-2010, 10:22 AM
You could get him a mechanical PENCIL and remove the lead.

BitVyper
03-15-2010, 10:22 AM
One of those wire puzzles? You know those small wire things that you have to manipulate just right to pull apart and put back back together.

He has one of those, actually. Good idea though.

If you're worried about ink, one of those mechanical pens with replaceable ink cores, minus the ink core could work.

The problem is that taking out the ink core is the part that makes it fun.

Premmy
03-15-2010, 12:41 PM
I would imagine the mechanical pen with the spring and buttons and what not would be fun enough, but then I'm not a bird.

Melfice
03-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Have you tried getting some cheap LEGO?
It doesn't necessarily have things to take apart (though you could build stuff, so the bird can break it down again), but some of our past birds (budgerigars) simply loved playing with separate bricks. Especially the translucent parts, for some reason.

And it comes in several shapes, so there's variety for the bird?

Just one of those weird suggestions.

BitVyper
03-15-2010, 02:29 PM
That's actually a pretty good idea, and I have friends who have buckets and buckets of lego.

Edit: That's a really good idea, actually. Thanks. K'nex or something would be good too.

Hawk
03-15-2010, 03:31 PM
What you shoud really do is get him one of those Lights Out! games, and see if he can figure out how to play it, to really see just how intelligent he is.

Meister
03-15-2010, 03:44 PM

Authority on the subject posting.

Geminex
03-15-2010, 05:22 PM
If this thread ends up being the main catalyst for the creation of a murderous race of intelligent super-parrots, I just want you all to know that I WARNED YOU.

BitVyper
03-15-2010, 05:30 PM
If this thread ends up being the main catalyst for the creation of a murderous race of intelligent super-parrots, I just want you all to know that I WARNED YOU.

I thought it was pretty clear that this was my goal from the outset. The problem is that all we'd have to do is jingle our keys and they'd all become too entranced to fight.

Magus
03-16-2010, 04:13 PM
I, for one, welcome our new super-parrot overlords and look forward to working 18 hour shifts in the cracker factory.