PDA

View Full Version : Best Non-Anime

Hunter Lionheart
07-06-2004, 03:45 AM
Ok we have the Best Anime thread- What about the best Cartoon thats not an Anime?

Some Early thoughts-
Original Transformers
Original X-Men
The Simpsons
Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
Original Spidey
2nd Incarnation of Spidey
Rugrats
Recess
Ren and Stimpy
Rocko's Modern Life

Any more???

Mr. Wind-Up Bird
07-06-2004, 07:07 AM
Batman: The Animated Series
Batman Beyond
Freakazoid
Pinky and the Brain
Animaniacs
Dexters Lab
Samurai Jack
Teen Titans
Futurama
Mighty Max
GI Joe

Also, Rugrats isn't a good cartoon.

Iced Earth
07-06-2004, 07:41 AM
Family Guy
Batman Beyond
Animaniacs
Samurai Jack
Teen Titans
Futurama
The Simpsons
South Park
Beavis & Butt-Head
Aqua Teen hunger force

EVILNess
07-06-2004, 08:13 AM
Dude! The old TMNT!

Fifthfiend
07-06-2004, 11:47 AM
Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys was awesome.

IHateMakingNames
07-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Half of Hunter's list is just wrong...

And I remember that Space Monkies show... It was odd...

Also,

Gargoyles
Fairly Oddparents
Danny Phantom
Invader Zim

Everything else I can think of has already been mentioned.

Magic E-Mail Chicken
07-06-2004, 11:53 AM
I might as well say it first, Megas. There, i said/typed it.

Fifthfiend
07-06-2004, 12:21 PM
When I was 10 they used to run this cartoon called BotsMaster, it was about this 16-year-old outlaw with a secret subterranean robotics factory. It was pretty sweet.

TheZeroMan
07-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Does any one remember the "Subterranians" or "Subhumans" or whatever that show was pretty badassed for the mid 80s. About these guys fighting these vile monsters from underground and the monster would actually swallow and digest people. I remember the toy vividly. It was pretty sweet.

Did anyone Mention "the Pirates of Dark Water?" that was pretty solid cartoon show. Epic in fact the series had a beginning, middle, and end. As far as I can recall.

Remember the Maxx cartoon on MTV that was awesome as was Aeon Flux and most everything on Liquid Television... that was mind fucking show for a n 11 year old.

Go-Bots...

He-Man and the masters of the Universe...

Thundar the Barbarian...

Gem... kidding.

Hunter Lionheart
07-06-2004, 09:26 PM
Hey I was just throwing down suggestions, it was by no means a complete list or a definitive list- just a few ideas to help jog memories.

I remember Botsmaster- they were always wearing "3d shades" I think- I remember the theme tune the teen was named ZZ

synkr0nized
07-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Earthworm Jim

You've mentioned most of the others I typed at first.

And there are so many more cartoons, yet all very unworthy.

Mashirosen
07-07-2004, 04:09 AM
Just reading lists of show titles is kind of dull -- why not explain why you picked these cartoons?

Defcon
07-07-2004, 04:12 AM
Rocko's Modern Life - Loved this cartoon when it was on , Funny and educational! Ok not really but still
Inspector Gadget - Used to watch this everyday after school when I was little
Invader Zim - Was funny when it came out, Kind of stopped watching it after
Teen Titans - Obsessed with it currently
Family Guy - Damn funny
Futurama - Sometimes its funny
ATHF - Who doesnt like a wad of meat , a bag of fries, and a milkshake?
SL 2021 - Woot!
Transformers (old one) - Used to rent all the tapes as a kid and watch them at my grandmas heh
Animaniacs - Watched this after school when I was a kid as well
Courage the Cowardly Dog - Interesting cartoon, USed to watch it, not much anymore
Cow and Chicken - Stupid funny, occasionally too stupid
Dexters Laboratory (Old one before the new writer) - Old one used to be funny, New ones suck.
Evil con Carne - Not really that great, but funny at times
Two Stupid Dogs - Loved this cartoon when It was on
Ren and Stimpy - Who doesnt like this cartoon?
I am Weasel - Stupid funny, but annoying as well
The Simpsons(Sort of) - I liked the old ones, The new ones, not so well. They've had their run, It's time for them to die!
SouthPark - Current events + humor = win

Yes I used to be an avid cartoon watcher, Most of the new one's suck

There are lots of others I vaguely remember, Trying to look them up. Such as this one of some yellow guy with spikey hair and a big nose with blue shorts? I dont know, Maybe I'm just crazy.

Cannon
07-07-2004, 01:39 PM
-------- You forgot about the best Cartoon of all times...
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!

Toastburner B
07-07-2004, 02:02 PM
No one mentioned my two favorite shows as a little kid:

Voltron and Brave Star.

Anyone else remember Brave Star? That was my favorite cartoon, with Voltron in a close second. Everytime we went to the video-store, my mom would let us rent a video (it was cheaper back then), and I always picked Voltron.

Ah...memories.

Fifthfiend
07-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Just reading lists of show titles is kind of dull -- why not explain why you picked these cartoons?

All I can say is that if you can't figure out for yourself the appeal of a show called "Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys," well, then there's just no helping you.

Voltron and Brave Star.

Wouldn't Voltron count as anime?

Toastburner B
07-08-2004, 10:25 AM
Wouldn't Voltron count as anime?

Yeah...good point. Sorry, guess I had a :fighter: moment.

Still...anyone remember Brave Star?

Lycanthrope
07-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Family Guy
Batman Beyond
Simpsons
Samuri Jack (at least what I've watched of it)
South Park (newer episodes)
Animaniacs
Pinkey and the Brain
Freakazoid

BMHadoken
07-08-2004, 06:00 PM
I like Fairly Odd Parents cuz it seems more tuned to the older audiences than little kids. How many seven year olds are gunna chuckle when the Dinkleburgs admit that they like not having kids, or super roaches, or the whole charades episode.

"Doctor, I thought she was spelling plumber, its even worse than I thought!"

Fifthfiend
07-09-2004, 03:57 PM
I remember back in eigth grade, it was very much the fashion to be able to quote extensively from Animaniacs.

One girl could go through the theme song, including every known variation of the second-to-last line (citizen kane-y!), and Yakko's entire Goddamn State Capitals song. Seemed bloody near superhuman at the time.

Then all of a sudden one day Animaniacs wasn't on Fox, and someone was like "There's this new network called the WB," and everyone else was like, "well, fuck that."

And thus ended an era.

Defcon
07-09-2004, 04:28 PM
I remember back in eigth grade, it was very much the fashion to be able to quote extensively from Animaniacs.

One girl could go through the theme song, including every known variation of the second-to-last line (citizen kane-y!), and Yakko's entire Goddamn State Capitals song. Seemed bloody near superhuman at the time.

Then all of a sudden one day Animaniacs wasn't on Fox, and someone was like "There's this new network called the WB," and everyone else was like, "well, fuck that."

And thus ended an era.

It seems WB gets everything Fox throws away where it goes into a dormant state of "What the hell is the WB?!" then Cartoon Network gets all the garbage thrown away from them.

BMHadoken
07-09-2004, 04:57 PM
And once CT gets it then we can watch and actually enjoy it again.

But, in the case of Family Guy, its on Fox, skips WB to directly enter CT, then becomes so popular Fox wants it back. A very twisted circle is the life of a cartoon.

Hunter Lionheart
07-09-2004, 06:43 PM
I miss Animaniacs now...

And I say Cap'n Planet! heheheh

MasterOfMagic
07-10-2004, 12:46 AM
Heart guy = useless. All i'm sayin'.

(in no particular order)
Family Guy. More specifically, the y2k episode. There are so many qoutes I love from that episode, I can't even choose.

Futurama. Its funny. It has a robot that uses beer for fuel.

Fairly Odd Parents. "Yey rabies!!"

Teen Titans. I too am currently obsessed with this one.

The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. "This is getting boring... Let's go torture the Grim Reaper!"

Pinky and the Brain. Two mice try and take over the world. What else do you want me to say?

Can't think of any more, so there obviously inferior. That, or I'm having one of those amnesia episodes agian.

Hunter Lionheart
07-10-2004, 08:21 AM
Lmao yeah, the heart guy was a bit of a gimp really

Fifthfiend
07-10-2004, 09:50 AM
Teen Titans. I too am currently obsessed with this one.

Without getting into a discussion of Teen Titans' overall merits, I don't think it can reasonably be included in a "Best Non-Anime" thread. C'mon, who's kidding who?

MasterOfMagic
07-10-2004, 11:38 PM
Ah, I see your point, and had the same qualms myself, but no one else had any objections so I put it up anyway. *shrugs*

Lycanthrope
07-11-2004, 09:04 PM
The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. "This is getting boring... Let's go torture the Grim Reaper!"

most of the time I agree with you, but Billy gets on my nerves. I know he's supposed to, but every once in a while it gets overwhelming.

Xellos
07-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Teen Titans is weird. Its like, an American cartoon that tries to be an anime....................And fails horribly.

MasterOfMagic
07-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Ah, Billy doesn't bother me that bad. I'm watching the Brain episode right now. That song! It'll never get out of my head! :D

Stabbitty Death
07-14-2004, 02:46 PM
I love that song, but I can't remember anything other than "Brains, brains, brains, brains."

WhiteMage112000
07-14-2004, 04:08 PM
The Simpsons
Fairly Oddparents
Danny Phantom
TMNT
Reboot(awesome old show)
The old Spiderman(w00t)
The old X-men
Ed, Edd n' Eddy
Futurama("Dude, this is the city of bums! No, I'm thinkin' of Eugene, Oregon." -Fry)
The old Powerpuff Girls(yes, either that or the old Winx Club, I can't remember which)
These are the ones I really liked, especially Reboot. reboot was AWESOME, even htough I watched it when I was 4 years old. Then it got kinda boring. :wmage: :bmage:

WhiteMage112000
07-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Oh, and Pinky and the Brain. I loved that one.

WhiteMage112000
07-14-2004, 04:11 PM
I keep forgetting mt all-time fave, Courage the Cowardly Dog. Darn it!

h4x.m4g3
07-14-2004, 04:17 PM
Whitemage112000 I suggest you use that little edit button in the bottom right corner of your post before the mods come. The mods hate double and triple posting. So edit the stuff into your first post and delete the others.

As for some of the best non-animes
Spiderman on FOX from the 90s
X-men on FOX from the 90s

You can't beat those

Edit:I just realized you were banned. oh well too late to warn you

Lycanthrope
07-14-2004, 04:40 PM
Reboot(awesome old show)

YES! I loved that show! Katzedecimal here will give you hugs as well.

Ed, Edd n' Eddy
You know, sometimes this show is good. Other times its bleh. I've never quite figured out the writers.

Pinky and the Brain
Classic

Courage the Cowardly Dog
Its like Scooby Doo, except good *ducks and hides from countless fanpeople*

Nosferatu
07-14-2004, 11:17 PM
Don't care if theyve been posted before but...

Ren & Stimpy
Rocko's Modern Life
Pinky n da Brain
Simpsons
Futarama
Family Guy
South Park
Shorties Watchin Shorties(comendy i know but hey..)
Courage Cowardly Dog

oh and btw...

It's pinky and the brain! Pinky and that brain! One is a genius! The others insane! They're labratory mice! they're gene's have been spliced! They're pinky...pinky and the Brain Brain Brain Brain Brain BrianBrain Brain...Brain... bum dun dum...DUM!

h4x.m4g3
07-15-2004, 12:32 AM
I think they meant the one on Billy and Mandy about the Brain who sucked out other people's brains. It was a good song.

Otaku Son
07-15-2004, 01:43 AM
Did my post here get deleted by a mod or somethin'? Anyway, I agree to Transformers(though, semi-technically, it's an anime; it was drawn by people from Japan, but produced here in the States), Reboot, '90s Spidey, '90s X-Men, Freakazoid, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Pinky and the Brain, and that's really about it. Aqua Teen Hunger Force is the only "new" cartoon I like; I think everything else sucks. Though, back in the old days, I did like Batman, Superman, TMNT, Animaniacs, Rugrats, Ren&Stimpy, Doug, Dexter's Lab, Cow&Chicken, and Simpsons, but they just haven't stuck to me.

Anyway, going with Mashirosen's suggestion of explaining why I like said cartoons...
Transformers - My older brother was into them, so I watched them, also, and just kinda grew to 'em. Transformers is just one of those shows that people like because, well, it's there.
Reboot - The CGI is what got my there. Then as I became a geek, the computer terminology("nanoseconds," "Mega/Gigabyte," "Hexadecimal," and Enzo's ever-famous scene: "All this studying...it could take me a whole minute!"). And of course Season 3, with the godmoder Matrix instead of that wimpy Enzo, and the total babe AndrAIa. Ironically, Season 3 is the only one that ever got commercially produced.
'90s Spidey and X-Men - There were the good versions of these Marvel comic-cartoons. I just always liked Spider-Man and X-Men(hell, my friends at the time and I would always pretend we were the X-Men).
Freakazoid - He was just a superhero that was a dolt. That's pretty much all I liked about him.
Aqua Teen Hunger Force - The only new cartoon I like and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just all these fast food menu items that are personified, and somehow a wad of meat can swim in a pool without dissolving. Or maybe it's just Frylock.
Pinky and the Brain - I got into this show when I was in the science phase of my life. All Brain's technobabble about things, and his attempts to take over the world, only to be failed partly due to Pinky's incompetence...

What wasn't mentioned that I do like: the older episodes of Donkey Kong Country. Not the later ones, where they supposedly have a graphics upgrade that looked like crap. The older ones looked more like cartoons even though they were CGI, and since it was based off one of my still-favorite game series, I liked it.
Megaman: Dude! It was based on the ever-popular Megaman game franchise! I can't believe no one mentioned this one! But, it was action-packed, like almost every other '90s cartoon at the time.

Y'know, reflecting back on all these '90s cartoons, I really gotta know why you guys like stuff like Ed, Edd, 'n' Eddy and Family Guy and so on. Those shows don't have nearly as much action as the '90s cartoons did.

h4x.m4g3
07-15-2004, 01:47 AM
Megaman: Dude! It was based on the ever-popular Megaman game franchise! I can't believe no one mentioned this one! But, it was action-packed, like almost every other '90s cartoon at the time.
Megaman was awesome but the fact is it never came on where I lived so I only saw it twice while visiting relatives. AND BOTH TIMES IT WAS THE TOAD MAN EPISODE.

Oh and the Sonic Cartoon. Not the uber kiddy cartoon one, not Sonic Underground. But the one with the Freedom Fighters set in Mobieus that was slightly anime style but not really a true anime (if memory serves correctly.) With Sonic's Robotic uncle and what not. That was awesome.

Lycanthrope
07-15-2004, 02:39 AM
Family Guy is great because it is the best at the random aspect of things. I mean, they do something random, and then continue the joke much longer than you'd expect they did. Like the chicken scene in the Y2k episode. It had absolutely nothing to do with anything and it went on for a full action-packed overblown hollywood action scene! They do things you'd never expect, and its brilliant.

Otaku Son
07-15-2004, 02:40 AM
Megaman was awesome but the fact is it never came on where I lived so I only saw it twice while visiting relatives.
Well it's available now on DVD. $30 for 13 episodes; that's like the $120 I shelled out on 13 episodes of Hellsing, only for 1/4 the price!

Nosferatu
07-15-2004, 06:55 AM
Family Guy is great because it is the best at the random aspect of things. I mean, they do something random, and then continue the joke much longer than you'd expect they did. Like the chicken scene in the Y2k episode. It had absolutely nothing to do with anything and it went on for a full action-packed overblown hollywood action scene! They do things you'd never expect, and its brilliant.

"Gave me (pant) a bad (pant) coupon"

Hunter Lionheart
07-15-2004, 07:12 AM
Yeah, I know which Sonic cartoon is meant- It was more dark than the fiurst one, but GOOD unlike Sonic Underground

Mr. Viewtiful
07-15-2004, 09:15 AM
Here's some I remember fondly:

Pinky and the Brain
Who doesn't love this show? Nearly all the episodes had me rolling on the floor laughing (figuratively speaking), especially the one with the mouse named Larry in it. It's now on one of the Nickelodion (sp?) channels

Feakazoid!
The first super-hero/comedy cartoon I remember watching as a kid. The fact that he runs around with his arms out as if he's flying is worth watching alone. I don't know if they're showing this on any channel currently...

90's Spider-Man
Yeah, the one with the 3D buildings. This show rules! Probably the best superhero cartoon (IMHO). My favorite episodes were...crap, I liked the whole series! It is currently on Toon Disney on weekends, and I was lucky enough to catch a weekend-long marathon of it a few weeks ago.

Lycanthrope
07-16-2004, 02:30 AM
Freakazoid is apparently on really late at night on Nickelodion or something. But it kinda was dropped by Cartoon Network which means it is officially off the face of mainstream TV.

Tenjin Matsukaru
07-16-2004, 04:48 AM
Invader Zim!

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Viktor Von Russia
07-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Reading all of this makes me feel old.

Space Ghost anyone? Or that guy who gave up super-heroing to become a lawyer, whatshisface, uh, oh. Right.

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRD MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!

h4x.m4g3
07-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Reading all of this makes me feel old.

Space Ghost anyone? Or that guy who gave up super-heroing to become a lawyer, whatshisface, uh, oh. Right.

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRD MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!
Ahhhhh I remember those.
And you forgot Space Ghost gave up super-heroing to host a talk show.
And what about Thundar the Barbarian. I still have a tendancy to say "Ariel, Ooklah we ride."

Chahiero
07-16-2004, 03:08 PM
The best non anime show I can think of is probably Zim, although the style is similar I suppose.

Doomdy doom doom

Nosferatu
07-17-2004, 07:58 PM
Nacho"s!!

MasterOfMagic
07-19-2004, 02:15 PM
oh and btw...

It's pinky and the brain! Pinky and that brain! One is a genius! The others insane! They're labratory mice! they're gene's have been spliced! They're pinky...pinky and the Brain Brain Brain Brain Brain BrianBrain Brain...Brain... bum dun dum...DUM!
I can sing that whole song! I'm so proud of myself. :D

EDIT: And to answer Otaku Son:
Y'know, reflecting back on all these '90s cartoons, I really gotta know why you guys like stuff like Ed, Edd, 'n' Eddy and Family Guy and so on. Those shows don't have nearly as much action as the '90s cartoons did.
We like them because they are funny. At least, that's why I like them. *shrugs*

Nosferatu
07-19-2004, 05:45 PM
ditto :P