The Warring States of NPF

The Warring States of NPF (http://www.nuklearforums.com/index.php)
-   Hosted Discussion (http://www.nuklearforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   #1221: "Witnesses to our victory!" (http://www.nuklearforums.com/showthread.php?t=37312)

Kurosen 02-20-2010 10:19 AM

#1221: "Witnesses to our victory!"

See how fast things move when you deal with characters who aren't pathologically incompetent?

Flarecobra 02-20-2010 10:25 AM

Techically, it isn't "4 White Mages"....but eh, beggers can't be choosers.

And it looks like Chaos was shrunk...

Sliths 02-20-2010 10:25 AM

1) Is that the first time anyone has ever referred to BM as "Black"?

2) Kudos on the long-joke, Sir Douglas Adams.

3) There's no way this is over, the real bad guys are still alive.

Oh wait. Wait.

wait, shit.

They're all still level 1.

They're useless.

This really is the end.

Dammit!

EDIT: Oh, and you spelled priest wrong. Not that anyone cares. Priests're dumb.
EDIT2: And BM said "Oh, godammit it"
EDIT3: Aren't you happy to have such a concerned reader?

Meister 02-20-2010 10:32 AM

jesus christ

A Zarkin' Frood 02-20-2010 10:35 AM

This was great. So great it should've never worked.

Sliths 02-20-2010 10:35 AM

Does this mean I get another warning?

Super King 02-20-2010 10:49 AM

Here's the comic by the way
Now, I really did not see that coming. I hope Bahamut comes back and gives them back their superpowers though :(

Si Civa 02-20-2010 10:55 AM

There's that one sentence which would nicely sum my feelings about this one, but I won't say it.Fuck you.

But like honestly, this was the funniest one in a long time.

Aldurin 02-20-2010 11:01 AM

I don't understand why they didn't figure out that Chaos was weak against sneezes in the first place.

What the white mage dudes (all of those are variants of the class) did was a simple color spell that was so confusing that Chaos came over to ask the Light Warriors what the heck was going on?

And 8-bit theater won't end, especially not on an irregular episode number.

Fractactical Genius 02-20-2010 11:07 AM

Holy shit.

That was awesome.

Curien 02-20-2010 11:07 AM

I just want to say that was freaking epic and I laughed probably way too long.

kudos to you, sir. :)

Gamer8585 02-20-2010 11:08 AM

Wow, it took a couple seconds for me to recall the joke. "Why did he say 'goddammit' and look in a Nintendo Power Maga----ahhhhh...I remember."

Yeah, that was a pretty long set up there. I think you may actually hold a record or something.

Sliths 02-20-2010 11:12 AM

I just realized!

Now the Light Warriors have to face the....White Mages.

Unless WM really does just decide they're useless and let's them go live normal lives in obscurity.

This comic should totally end like animal house and have little text that shows what happened to all the characters in the years ahead.

spiderbob 02-20-2010 11:13 AM

If this is the end I feel obliged to say, Thank You Brian! 8bit and NP have kept me coming back day after day. Warbot, HIKYM, and especially 8-Bit have brightened my mood time and time again. Sharp, dry, sarcastic humor at it's finest, and I love it. I have actually been dreading this day as I grew up on FF1 and am still a huge fan of the game. Was not looking forward to it ending, but all good... no, great things, must end.

If this is the end of 8-bit Brian, thank you for the years of hard work. I'm kind of dissapointed I didn't see the ending coming though. 4 white mages/by products there of, pure gold. Hopefully your furture endeavours are just as successful. Good luck.

Doc T 02-20-2010 11:13 AM

fuck's sake man

Roxas 02-20-2010 11:14 AM

Is 1234 going to be the last comic or something?

Definitely didn't foresee the White Warriors, but I like how you took something 1214 chapters ago and pulled it off. Definitely the ultimate Chekhov's Gun/Brick Joke.

How did Chaos go from Fomortiis to Sarda-with-Formotiis-head?

Deborah 02-20-2010 11:14 AM

Damn, when I saw the title of the comic I was already starting to dread whatever Brian would call the longest setup ever.

But a callback to the four white mage party? After all this time I've been wondering how 8-Bit could ever come to a satisfying end... (well, I still wonder that a little about how the very last strip will conclude things) this is honestly the one thing I never expected. Sure, people said "WM got sent to safety so she comes back and blasts him" but the dots never connected.

I just don't know how you do it, Brian.

Meister 02-20-2010 11:17 AM

So I guess the whole reason White Mage waltzed into the temple in the first place was to tell everyone the others were there and to make way so they could kick Sarda's ass. Or Black Mage's. Or most likely everyone's. Except Fighter maybe.

Faythoffenrir 02-20-2010 11:24 AM

Did not see that coming. Is 8 bit theater over now? I hope not.

Solus 02-20-2010 11:24 AM

'beaten by the most unlikely of heroes'
I didn't think Brian meant this when he said that over the years.

Good show. *applauds*

Warrioroflightfromanother 02-20-2010 11:27 AM

Wow awesome, funniest comic after Real Light Warriors appearance. And nice to see another 4-member team in this comic, so now we got:

Light Warriors
Dark Warriors
Other Warriors
4 Fiends
Real Light Warriors
White Warriors

So whats next, we get Lost Warriors, aka FF II heroes lost in wrong game?

Eman 02-20-2010 11:28 AM

Wow a joke that went on for nearly a decade

Meister 02-20-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eman (Post 1017799)
Wow a joke that went on for nearly a decade

Quite a good description of 8BT as a whole, actually.

e: Brian, new forum subtitle?

Art of Hilt 02-20-2010 11:32 AM

Oh my god.
Oh my god.
I actually laughed out loud.
I laughed out loud for several minutes.
Holy fucking shit.

Bravo. Bravo. I don't know what else to say. It's so good I feel like I should curse you. Goddammit. Wow.

I love you. I hate you. I love you.

Chocobo 02-20-2010 11:39 AM

my mind

my fucking mind

10/10 brian

Aldurin 02-20-2010 11:50 AM

Will you guys stop talking about this being the end!!! He might actually stop if you keep this up!!

So freakin' knock it off and talk about the comic instead of the lifespan of the series!!

Amake 02-20-2010 11:51 AM

Is this really a long setup? The time passing between the setup and the punchline is certainly some kind of record, and a landmark in the category "comedic timing", but unless you can show how everything that happened between then and now contributed to building up to the punchline, I don't think it counts as "setup".

Nitpicking aside, good job. Thanks for all the chuckles, giggles and deep-throated roaring evil laughs which I don't say enough. Is this the end now? We should have a wake.

Yes, a wake. 8BT (the publication of) is dead (or maybe not just yet), long live 8BT (the finished archives)!*
*Void where prohibited by law.

Meister 02-20-2010 12:01 PM

Brian, I'm going to take back some of the things I said about you.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6871/crunch.png

You've earned it.

Dauntasa 02-20-2010 12:05 PM

At first, I was like "What?"
But then, I was like "WHAT?"

Veho 02-20-2010 12:07 PM

I'm speechless... FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU... :O_o:

Ztrata 02-20-2010 12:10 PM

I must say, I've been wondering how chaos would be killed for several weeks now, and while I knew it wasn't gonna be by the light warriors, I honestly wasn't expecting -- even after I read the comics name-- well done, sir!

Codemonkey85 02-20-2010 12:10 PM

So this is the ending he always talked about having planned.

Do you guys realize how much license this gave him to make shit up in between? There didn't have to be any specific path the whole entire comic. It was set up in one episode, the joke was used in one episode. Everything in between could have been made up as he went and we never would have known the difference! Even right down to the class changes!

Damn. That's... that's pretty savvy.

Donomni 02-20-2010 12:11 PM

You know, I never really post here, but I have to come here to say this:

Bravo, Brian, bravo.

Seriously, it was funny when I first saw it, but now that I know what is actually being called back makes it spectacular.

Bright_Shadows 02-20-2010 12:13 PM

Guys, I'm pretty sure that Nintendo Power magazine is the most durable thing ever. Think about everything that has hurt Black Mage, and it's a long list, let me tell ya. Then, think about the fact that the magazine has been in BM's pocket the whole time.

o_o

Nintendo Power Magazine Headquarters: Real Final Boss?

Green Spanner 02-20-2010 12:16 PM

That was one hell of a brick-joke.

And an anti-climax.

All this page needs is some random violence and it would be a neat sum-up of 8-bit.

Nuklear Waste 02-20-2010 12:18 PM

I don't know what to say except...

...Healer is a dumb name. Dumber than everyone else's name. And s/he uses the dumb geomancer sprite. Therefore, Healer is dumb.

EDIT: Also, I went digging and found when White Mage said she was part of a secret cabal of healers who are going to save the world and when Black Belt said they were going to follow the LWs and actually save the world.

Sliths 02-20-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meister (Post 1017802)
Quite a good description of 8BT as a whole, actually.

e: Brian, new forum subtitle?

God, yes, do it. Get rid of that stupid ass comment I made.

InsanityBringer 02-20-2010 12:32 PM

Out of all of the possible scenarios that could have happened, I totally did not see this one coming. If it wasn't for the fact that their weapons were stolen, I would have guessed that the real light warriors would have caused it.

The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk 02-20-2010 12:36 PM

4 White Mages....

Fuck you Brian. Fuck youuuu!!!

Nah but seriously, that was pretty good.

PsychicKid 02-20-2010 12:41 PM

I'm in tears from laughing so hard.

Nexus 02-20-2010 12:43 PM

Not so impossible NOW, is it BM?

Faythoffenrir 02-20-2010 12:46 PM

Exactly eight years eleven months after the Nintendo Power first appeared.

Aldurin 02-20-2010 12:46 PM

The sad part is that there will have to be something to explain this. I want black mage to terrorize the world. It'd be cool.

The Wandering God 02-20-2010 12:54 PM

Well played, my good man.

Well played indeed.

http://www.puppiesandflowers.com/blo...4/applause.gif

The Green Mage 02-20-2010 12:55 PM

For some reason, this is the hardest I've ever laughed at an 8-Bit Theater strip.

Well-played, Brian. Well-played.

Dauntasa 02-20-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilEarl (Post 1017830)
The sad part is that there will have to be something to explain this. I want black mage to terrorize the world. It'd be cool.

That's easy. They're level 1. They couldn't terrorize a chipmunk, let alone the world.

Nightshine 02-20-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dauntasa (Post 1017841)
That's easy. They're level 1. They couldn't terrorize a chipmunk, let alone the world.

I beg to differ considering what has happened in 8 years and 11 months.

Green Spanner 02-20-2010 01:26 PM

A thought occurs!

Surely by stalling Chaos for a day and giving the White Warriors enough time to...do whatever it is they did, the Light Warriors had a hand in saving the world.

Bard The 5th LW 02-20-2010 01:32 PM

This just blew my mind. They should rename the Brick Joke the Clevinger joke or something.

Brian basically planned the start and finish like 8 or 9 nine years ago? You magnificent bastard. You have my applaud. You have about everyone's applaud good sir.

Veho 02-20-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightshine (Post 1017842)
I beg to differ considering what has happened in 8 years and 11 months.

But they're much weaker now than they were at the beginning of the comic. And who knows how much it would take them to reach that level again.

PyrosNine 02-20-2010 01:45 PM

Oh Sum of a Witch!

CDRW 02-20-2010 01:51 PM

Oh wow, it's almost over isn't it? feels so strange with a comic that I've been reading for years and years.

Either ways, I half-saw-half-didn't-see this coming. Well played Brian.

It does kind of remind me of the ending to Mother 3, where the main villain is alive and perfectly safe, but unable to harm anyone else forever.

And that was a very good 8 year long setup. I guess this means that now, everything that BM has ever said in the comic has either been wrong or a lie?

CaviosDaryll 02-20-2010 01:56 PM

I'm going to have to contradict basically everyone else in this thread... While it was kind of cool that this was planned out from the start and all, I didn't really laugh or anything. It might be that it's because I didn't realize that the main joke was four white mages saved the world, and at first I thought it was simply that they weren't the ones upon which the world's fate rested.

I dunno, I probably would have found it much funnier if my confusion after reading it were assuaged by you making a link to comic #7 rather than reading about why it was funny in someone else's post. Either way, congratulations for pulling off the joke you've been working at for nine years.

Mongoose 02-20-2010 02:08 PM

Fantastic! Good show!

But surely, the light warrior's deleveled status ailment will wear off now?

Aldurin 02-20-2010 02:12 PM

The light warriors caused a lot of trouble even when deleveled. They had already kidnapped a baby and put an innocent person to death.

And I don't think BM needs to level up to go on a stabbing spree.

Salganos 02-20-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veho (Post 1017849)
But they're much weaker now than they were at the beginning of the comic. And who knows how much it would take them to reach that level again.

Probably just long enough for Sarda to go back in time again.

The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk 02-20-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veho (Post 1017849)

About 9 years is my guess.

justice~! 02-20-2010 02:31 PM

That would be *awesome*! Sarda spends all this time building himself into the greatest wizard ever without knowing:

* he will have a moment of revenge that lasts approximately 8 seconds before he is destroyed
* that the LWs he "never heard from again" came to prominence *right after* he leapt back through time!

What a life of torment!!

Stoker 02-20-2010 02:36 PM

Shaman is the cutest thing ever.

Blackstream 02-20-2010 02:38 PM

That's a good place to end it. Nice setup. I've considered planning out jokes that'd take a couple of years to see light of day, but this takes the cake.

Aldurin 02-20-2010 02:41 PM

This is making me sad, stop talking about this like it's the end!!

Warrioroflightfromanother 02-20-2010 02:45 PM

Well Dark Warriors are probably still alive so who knows maybe comic continues a little while.

Spekkio 02-20-2010 02:49 PM

Nine years. You're what, 30, now? 31? You've been walking around occasionally giggling about this since you were like 21 or 22!? All the while, you've been knowing that every single episode was only giving that one joke a little more time to gain momentum; just a few milliseconds more that we'd have to dig through our brains going "where the hell have I seen that Nintendo Power, before?"

Good GOD! I've read those first few comics maybe four or five times over the years, and every time, I remember thinking there was something odd about him pulling out that magazine. I always ended up chalking it up to an inane attempt to be funny by someone who was, at the time, still developing his writing skill, and who hadn't yet found the single, unified style for the comic.

How wrong I was.

This might actually be the most awesome thing of which I've ever heard.

That took Draconic patience, Ascetic willpower, and a malicious, twisted sense of humor that stands entirely outside the normal scope of human experience.

This joke was entirely for you, wasn't it? Sure, it's funny to all of us, but you didn't make it for our benefit. It was all about a decade of huddling yourself in the cave of your own mind, fawning over that punchline like Gollum stroking the ring.

Wow. Just... Holy shit.

KillBill 02-20-2010 02:55 PM

It's all a little out there for me, not even leaving a good feeling for an anticlimax, but that's just me.

Panthera 02-20-2010 03:01 PM

What in the name of...

Dear lord of all the things I never saw coming, this has to be the biggest WHAT moment.

whereami 02-20-2010 03:03 PM

Tidbit: Anyone else notice that the sprites for Shaman & Healer are edited FF5 sprites?

stapler942 02-20-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spekkio (Post 1017876)
Nine years. You're what, 30, now? 31? You've been walking around occasionally giggling about this since you were like 21 or 22!? All the while, you've been knowing that every single episode was only giving that one joke a little more time to gain momentum; just a few milliseconds more that we'd have to dig through our brains going "where the hell have I seen that Nintendo Power, before?"

Good GOD! I've read those first few comics maybe four or five times over the years, and every time, I remember thinking there was something odd about him pulling out that magazine. I always ended up chalking it up to an inane attempt to be funny by someone who was, at the time, still developing his writing skill, and who hadn't yet found the single, unified style for the comic.

How wrong I was.

This might actually be the most awesome thing of which I've ever heard.

That took Draconic patience, Ascetic willpower, and a malicious, twisted sense of humor that stands entirely outside the normal scope of human experience.

This joke was entirely for you, wasn't it? Sure, it's funny to all of us, but you didn't make it for our benefit. It was all about a decade of huddling yourself in the cave of your own mind, fawning over that punchline like Gollum stroking the ring.

Wow. Just... Holy shit.

I too thought that the Nintendo Power reference was just the comic finding its style, as it's never mentioned again...For nearly a decade.

I was reading through some of the earlier comics a while ago, and the question did cross my mind about whether we'll ever see this "order of white mages" that WM keeps talking about...

But this...GREAT GOOGILYMOOGILY.

And if you think about it, practically every reference in the comic to white mages, healing, the pros and cons of non-damage-dealing magic, BM's continual ignorance of these issues as he tries to get with WM, the character growth WM goes through in finding out she's the creator of the universe, all the work she does to rebuild what evil and the Light Warriors have destroyed, and finally her sudden appearance, "demise", and disappearance within the space of only a few comics (And probably some things I haven't thought of)...All build up to this.

Needless to say after a few pauses to reflect on this I laughed out loud (which I normally don't do much on the internet; it's more of a silent laugh usually).

Who knew an anticlimax could be so well thought out?

Now let's see what BM's next line will be...Or if he will even get a chance to make a pass this time.

Mirai Gen 02-20-2010 03:15 PM

...what...

I...

Goddamn it.

krogothwolf 02-20-2010 03:20 PM

Goddamn it indeed.

Just man...totally awesome. Does make sense. Light destroying chaos though. Totally awesome.

Masam 02-20-2010 03:20 PM

I started this towards the begining. I've been reading ever since. And when I read episode 7 I smiled to myself and thought, Hey, that'd be funny if that happened. Then Brian introduced WM. and I thought Hey, that's even funnier. I read both in the same day so I saw a minor connection. Then nothing happened for 8 nearly nine years. And I wondered if brian had forgotten...and he didn't disappoint me. Thank you brian, thank you for not throwing away that opportunity, with all the short forshadowing you did through out. And doing it spectacularly. I can't wait to see the ending, because I hope your not so evil that you'll deny us an epilouge. and the writing doesn't feel finished either. We have yet to see BM lose his mind in a final psychotic episode that leaves him a gibbering mad man...well more of one.

Meister 02-20-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whereami (Post 1017883)
Tidbit: Anyone else notice that the sprites for Shaman & Healer are edited FF5 sprites?

FF3, actually. :) Check it out here. (Easy mixup though, considering those were the two job system games and FF5 even had that silly Geomancer with his hat.)

meo 02-20-2010 03:21 PM

Oh.

Well.

That's that, I guess. I was hoping it would be a really kick-ass battle so we could get another version of Fighter vs Fire Elemental Guardian made in flash, but this works too.

purpleemoranger 02-20-2010 03:25 PM

I dont get it.

Mirai Gen 02-20-2010 03:28 PM

There's also the fact that White Mage has been talking about her secret cabal of healers the entire time but nobody ever thought to go hey you know we've never seen them, just who are they?

Goldenfleece 02-20-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuklear Waste (Post 1017817)
I don't know what to say except...

...Healer is a dumb name. Dumber than everyone else's name. And s/he uses the dumb geomancer sprite. Therefore, Healer is dumb.

EDIT: Also, I went digging and found when White Mage said she was part of a secret cabal of healers who are going to save the world and when Black Belt said they were going to follow the LWs and actually save the world.

But at least Healer isn't a ginger like the rest, amirite? ;0)

Waiting for snark 02-20-2010 03:37 PM

You magnificent bastard.

Veho 02-20-2010 03:38 PM

So.... how many of you guys think Brian had it planned the whole time, and how many believe he reads through the archives every now and then, picks up on a throwaway gag and ties it into the latest comic?

Just a thought. Because if I was an author, I would so do the latter. I'd be dropping Chekhov's guns all over the place.

Kyanbu The Legend 02-20-2010 03:46 PM

Brian this was truly genius! Almost shocked that I didn't even expect that to be a possible end!

If he wanted to, Brian could extend the comic and still use RM, BM, Thief, and Fighter. Simply by having RM come up with a scheme to make them selves heroes by traveling to the multi verse and attempting to save another 8-bit FF universe. (anything from FF2 to FF4).

Organism X 02-20-2010 04:12 PM

Well played, asshole.

Archdeco 02-20-2010 04:17 PM

goddammit it?