The Warring States of NPF

The Warring States of NPF (http://www.nuklearforums.com/index.php)
-   Hosted Discussion (http://www.nuklearforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   #1221: "Witnesses to our victory!" (http://www.nuklearforums.com/showthread.php?t=37312)

Donomni 02-20-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyanbu The Legend (Post 1017908)
Brian this was truly genius! Almost shocked that I didn't even expect that to be a possible end!

If he wanted to, Brian could extend the comic and still use RM, BM, Thief, and Fighter. Simply by having RM come up with a scheme to make them selves heroes by traveling to the multi verse and attempting to save another 8-bit FF universe. (anything from FF2 to FF4).

I'm pretty certain he'd rather do everything on his plate at the moment sans 8-bit or another sprite comic.

I mean, yeah, continued FF spoofs would be sweet, but having done this for nearly a decade and only adding more work, it's not much to assume he'd say "Screw it" and leave sprite comics.

For good or not is obviously his choice, not ours.

Ggolbez 02-20-2010 04:38 PM

Preist? Godammit it!

Although, return of Nintendo Power Magazine? Haven't seen that gag for a long ass while.

Organism X 02-20-2010 04:58 PM

The only setup bigger than this is if Fighter and Black Mage end up searching for the Armor of Invincibility.

Truec 02-20-2010 05:07 PM

Why does everybody assume Brian's been planning this since the original mention of the 4 white mage team? That would be stupid. It's obviously something that recently occurred to him that it would be funny to reference.

Nique 02-20-2010 05:09 PM

I didn't even expect an update today - is Saturday an update day? It's so hard to remember in my old age, anyway - and this is what I get? There are no words. I mean, no one waits 8 years for a punchline.

Reaperz-XIII 02-20-2010 05:13 PM

Wow Brian you just blew my mind, you completely blew it, my mind has never been blown like that.

But WM still have some enemies left: King of Evil Black Mage, King of Thieves Elf, King of Overelaborate Plots Red Mage and their pet meat shield Fighter.

You know the embodiment of all that is evil in this world moreso than Chaos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truec (Post 1017932)
Why does everybody assume Brian's been planning this since the original mention of the 4 white mage team? That would be stupid. It's obviously something that recently occurred to him that it would be funny to reference.

The possibility that he did have this all planned though is just...no words can describe it

SSSS 02-20-2010 05:15 PM

I actually had that Nintendo Power, back in 1990 or so. It was a strategy guide, not a magazine. There really was a little sidebar near the end discussing the feasibility of a party of four White Mages. I somehow remember it from when I was 9 or 10 years old. So in reality, this was closer to a 20-year set up than a 9-year set up. Also, I just realized I'm about to turn 30, so that's a nice bonus "fuck you". Good show.

EDIT: I found the guide but I can't find the four-white-mage bit that I definitely remember was in there. I thought it was in the part at the end about giving the Masamune to your White Wizard, but it's not. Retcon? It was definitely in there and anyone who says otherwise is an evil liar.

Green Spanner 02-20-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Considering how long he's been doing this, it would be a miracle for him to remember something so otherwise insignificant from almost 9 years ago.

Kurokun1293 02-20-2010 05:26 PM

Uh. Sarda never completely absorbed the Orbs, and the Dark Warriors are still afoot...though partly maddened. And I think there would be an uproar if our "Light" Warriors were to die now.

BROTHERS! ITS NOT OVER YET! ITS TIME FOR...

EXPOSITION!

Meister 02-20-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Spanner (Post 1017936)
Considering how long he's been doing this, it would be a miracle for him to remember something so otherwise insignificant from almost 9 years ago.

I can totally see Brian going over those first few comics he made for fun, catching the "four white mages" line and going "wouldn't it be fun to run a comic for years, covering the entire game only to make this throwaway comment the actual ending?" Actually I can see just about anyone make some sprite comics for fun and doing this, but going through with it is a different league entirely.

Kurokun1293 02-20-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meister (Post 1017941)
Actually I can see just about anyone make some sprite comics for fun and doing this, but going through with it is a different league entirely.

Incidentally, the last few years of Bob & George was done on account of a bet between two godlike authors.

So anything is now possible in terms of a plot I guess :whee:

aceina 02-20-2010 05:40 PM

just registered soley to say this

only 2 things left now

1.to explain fighters master plan (we all know he has 1)

2. to learn evill princess saria's goal (after all she did ask fighter for all there weaknesses way back when she was rescued)

Kurokun1293 02-20-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceina (Post 1017945)
just registered soley to say this

only 2 things left now

2. to learn evill princess saria's goal (after all she did ask fighter for all there weaknesses way back when she was rescued)

Last post before I go get lunch.

1. It will involve swords or hugs. Or swordhugs.
2. ...Incidentally I didn't think of that, nor of all the other plot-threads that may still be hangin around, such as Corneria's King Steve and his kick ass bridge...

ScarletIce 02-20-2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScarletIce (Post 1011033)
I still think it's going to come down to White mage showing up in the end, not dead... Doesn't the universe still technically obey her commands?

Called it... sorta

Meister 02-20-2010 05:54 PM

I've been following these threads for years and I'm 99% sure no one has ever called this. White Mage returning yes, "four White Mages" hell no.

That's actually one of the best things about it.

Solus 02-20-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

I more-so half think it. Plus, it does add a little humor if you consider it this way & remember Brian has repeatedly said this was a story about the 4 most unlikely of heroes.

Quote:

EDIT: I found the guide but I can't find the four-white-mage bit that I definitely remember was in there. I thought it was in the part at the end about giving the Masamune to your White Wizard, but it's not. Retcon? It was definitely in there and anyone who says otherwise is an evil liar.
I remember it as well. Was it maybe in the beginning of the book? (Even of the very first page before the guide started? (or maybe around Tiamant itself. I thought it was something that looked a bit out of place when I read it.))
(I thought 4 white mages would actually be pretty easy. You get the extremely useful exit spell(after all, in the old FF games, random encounters were a true threat, unlike in the new games) & around mid-game, you start relying primarly on the magic weapons like Thor's hammer instead of actual attacks.)</babbling>

Quote:

After BM, RM, and Thief revealed they were going to become a great evil upon the world for their own sake, Fighter also revealed his goal, to open a guild to teach people to be heroes to rid the world of all the evil in it. (So he has no evil plan, unless he forgot it... Then again, what about Fighter, Fighter, or Fighter?) :)

Quote:

2. ...Incidentally I didn't think of that, nor of all the other plot-threads that may still be hangin around, such as Corneria's King Steve and his kick ass bridge...
No Cones. :P

But yeah, I too have been wondering what Sara would be up to. Maybe she is gonna be a decent ruler. (In comparison to King Steve.)

Meister 02-20-2010 06:22 PM

I think the Princess Sara thing is either an idea Brian set up, but later decided to drop, or just a plot device to show how gullible Fighter is, but nothing more. Then again I just saw him turn a throwaway joke into the thing that saved the world so who can say.

e: if there's one thing about 8BT I could pick to get it would be Creator's Commentary

timemonkey 02-20-2010 06:36 PM

This is the most satisfied any webcomic has ever made me. And the best part is that the evidence was there in front of us the whole time. We were told White Mage's plan, her goal in life, her order's goal, what kept her going and we all ignored it.

Nuklear Waste 02-20-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

While I agree it's probably likely he went through the early comics recently to find throwaway gags that would work making a comeback (hence the recent inn time shift jokes, I presume), it's not entirely impossible. Like I linked earlier, it seems that White Mage killing Chaos anticlimactically while the LWs acted all dumb was something he planned from the beginning.

Plus, look how far ahead the Atomic Robo timeline goes: Up to volume 11. (Unless that's supposed to be some kind of hidden Spinaltap reference.) That's probably a good half-a-decade from now.
Then again 8BT's more of a "whatever joke comes to Brian's head" kind of thing, whereas Robo is his main/dream project where he cares much more about continuity (and is not the sole source of creative input).

So...either way, I'm impressed.

Mirai Gen 02-20-2010 07:04 PM

I can't tell if this is the best joke as Brian, a reader who just read the entire archive, or a reader who has been a fan of 8bit ever since they were standing outside Garland's castle, lured inside by the "Free (Noun)" signs.

I'm the latter obviously and I still think this is fucking hilarious.

OmniShadow 02-20-2010 07:18 PM

But White Mage... I thought killing was wrong?

SSSS 02-20-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solus (Post 1017955)
I remember it as well. Was it maybe in the beginning of the book? (Even of the very first page before the guide started? (or maybe around Tiamant itself. I thought it was something that looked a bit out of place when I read it.))
(I thought 4 white mages would actually be pretty easy. You get the extremely useful exit spell(after all, in the old FF games, random encounters were a true threat, unlike in the new games) & around mid-game, you start relying primarly on the magic weapons like Thor's hammer instead of actual attacks.)</babbling>

Hmm, I still can't find it. Maybe it wasn't actually in the Nintendo Power strategy guide, maybe it was in the instruction manual or something?

I tried Google and other people seem to remember it as well I found no useful additional information.

I downloaded a copy of the instruction manual and it didn't seem to be in there, either. All I found was this early example of Fighter being Fighter:
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/4751/fighterf.gif

Faythoffenrir 02-20-2010 07:35 PM

What will happen when Onion Kid grows up into Sarda again?

Brian can not possibly end the story here.

And SSSS, would you mind if I used that pic for my sig? It made me lol.

POS Industries 02-20-2010 07:43 PM

I don't get it.

Kisai 02-20-2010 07:54 PM

The very moment I laid my eyes upon the panel with Black Mage holding the Player's Guide, my eyes immediately widened in shock. Instantly, my mind shat bricks, and I was left starring dumbfounded at the screen, mouth gaped open in a shocked smile for half a minute.

I can't fucking believe this. Absolutely INCREDIBLE.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/me...lute_super.jpg

SSSS 02-20-2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faythoffenrir (Post 1017976)
And SSSS, would you mind if I used that pic for my sig? It made me lol.

You want to use materials copyrighted by Square for the purpose of entertainment? Outrageous.

For reference, here is a download of the FF1 instruction manual and here is the Nintendo Power FF1 strategy guide referenced in the comic.

Truec 02-20-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faythoffenrir (Post 1017976)
What will happen when Onion Kid grows up into Sarda again?

He'll go back in time, be too late to create the universe in his own image, wiat a few billion years, dick around the Light Warriors while they get the orbs for him, abosrob their power, absorb Black Mage's evil, and become Chaos. Stable Time Loops 101.

Venath 02-20-2010 08:30 PM

That...dear god, that was freaking epic. This is probably one of my favorite comics (Hell, probably THE favorite) in the entire thing so far. Referring all the way back to the "Four White Mages" joke from the beginning definitely makes this the longest setup that I've seen in any webcomic.

I really don't have much else to say besides this: Awesome job.

Art of Hilt 02-20-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilEarl (Post 1017806)
And 8-bit theater won't end, especially not on an irregular episode number.

Quote:

Will you guys stop talking about this being the end!!! He might actually stop if you keep this up!!

So freakin' knock it off and talk about the comic instead of the lifespan of the series!!
Quote:

This is making me sad, stop talking about this like it's the end!!
Dang dude I don't know what to tell you but they just killed Chaos.
You know. Chaos. Final boss. He's dead, the credits roll, and you turn off the gaming system. Also the TV.
Sorry, man, but if it ain't the end then it's pretty damn close.

Faythoffenrir 02-20-2010 09:23 PM

Something we have not thought of:

Could this be another one of Brian's fake endings?

timemonkey 02-20-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art of Hilt (Post 1018005)
You know. Chaos. Final boss. He's dead, the credits roll, and you turn off the gaming system. Also the TV.

Considering there was no travelling thousands of years into the past only to discover that Garland had become Chaos, Bahamut hasn't done anything yet, and it can take months to acomplish tasks that should only take a few minutes I'd say the whole following the game thing isn't exactly the plan.

Kirby Pufocia 02-20-2010 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faythoffenrir (Post 1018009)
Something we have not thought of:

Could this be another one of Brian's fake endings?

A third one would be a bit much.

Then again, that would be right up his alley.

But he knows we'd think that.

Ad nauseum.

Carteeg_Struve 02-20-2010 09:46 PM

This is only the second time I've stared in shock at a web comic for so long.

(Note: the first time was for The Order of the Stick's when Roy came to a sudden *cough* stop.)

As soon as the "four white mages" were introduced, my brain clicked back to the exact scene. (I had recently ran through 8-bit Theatre Chaos on YouTube, so it was fresh on my mind.) I had the bottom of my browser lined up with that row of the comic so it took me a bit to notice the comic continued to the last line re-revealing the Nintendo Power.

My god. This made my day.

Aldurin 02-20-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art of Hilt (Post 1018005)

Can't . . . let . . . 8-bit theater . . . die. He has to keep going. In fact, if Brian stops, I will personally send him reports of suicides caused by the end of the comic. He should at least figure out how to revive the animation series.

And nobody seems to understand that it wasn't the WM squad that killed Chaos, is was when Black Mage sneezedokened his head off.

EDIT: And you don't turn off the game, you mod a second quest and play it.

capnchicken 02-20-2010 10:22 PM

*golf clap*

Fantabulate 02-20-2010 10:31 PM

Is it just me, or do some of the older comics maybe sorta y'know look different?

Like something has been... changed?

voodooKobra 02-20-2010 10:44 PM

Brian Clevinger, you are a magnificent bastard.

Nuklear Waste 02-20-2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantabulate (Post 1018025)
Is it just me, or do some of the older comics maybe sorta y'know look different?

Like something has been... changed?

Not sure if that's sarcasm, but I can think of a few reasons: the backgrounds stopped being 8-bit around the time they went to Elfland (and they weren't even that in the very first few strips); less custom sprite poses; different font (only in the first few) and the speech bubbles had thinner outlines. The different backgrounds are probably the most notable.

Aldurin 02-20-2010 11:15 PM

It became more refined as Brian got better at whatever he uses to make 8-bit.

joshedis 02-20-2010 11:16 PM

Four White Mages? It will never work.

At least, that was what I hoped. No epic battle scene, just the greatest anti-climax and brick joke of all time. Brian Clevinger. You are a sick sick man. Funny as hell. Yet sick. Although... For some reason. I think I am in love with this single comic more than anything else I have ever read. Good show old chap.

Kurosen 02-20-2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

Well, obviously I can't prove it to you, but I promise that I've been waiting all these years to drop this joke. I've mentioned in interviews for years and years I had the end planned since I began the comic.

This is what I planned.

It's not "done" done. There's some wrap up to tackle first. But, yeah. This was the plan all along. It's not the first example of a terrible joke planted years in advance in these archives. It's just the longest example.

Hetsurin 02-20-2010 11:32 PM

I thought it was pretty funny.

joshedis 02-20-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurosen (Post 1018036)
Well, obviously I can't prove it to you, but I promise that I've been waiting all these years to drop this joke. I've mentioned in interviews for years and years I had the end planned since I began the comic.

This is what I planned.

It's not "done" done. There's some wrap up to tackle first. But, yeah. This was the plan all along. It's not the first example of a terrible joke planted years in advance in these archives. It's just the longest example.

Ah, the mighty god of the internet has given us the knowledge. People of the internet! Our heroes' quest is not over! Brian, I am honestly impressed. Waiting all these years for a punchline. A mortal man would have gone crazy. Therefore, you are a god. I love you- your comics. Yeah, that's what I meant.

Super King 02-20-2010 11:32 PM

So do you have an estimated date for the end of the series? I'd imagine it would be pretty bitter sweet seeing the comic end after an entire decade.

joshedis 02-20-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super King (Post 1018040)
So do you have an estimated date for the end of the series? I'd imagine it would be pretty bitter sweet seeing the comic end after an entire decade.

NO! How dare you mention the end! Blasphemous fool! You will anger the god of the internet!

Although, jokes aside, I hope it doesn't end; but it will. Eventually. Since he wouldn't let any one else touch his decades worth of work, he will have to end it eventually.

Haha! Look at me, I forgot he is a god. That means it doesn't need to end. Sorry for the false alarm folks!

Aldurin 02-20-2010 11:44 PM

What Brian needs to do is get the Scott Adams mentality on old age and comic writing. Scott believes that longevity technology will come out before he dies and he'll live several hundred years while waiting for immortality technology or something.

We just have to convince Brian that longevity medicine won't help if someone kills him for ending 8-bit theater. I need to find a mentally unstable fan (make that severely mentally unstable, since we all somewhat apply to the first) and convince him it's his destiny to make sure 8-bit keeps churning out until the world ends.

EDIT: Another reason Brian should keep going is that our failsafe is broken since the HomeStarRunner guys are MIA. We'd have to become normal if that happened.

joshedis 02-20-2010 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilEarl (Post 1018042)
What Brian needs to do is get the Scott Adams mentality on old age and comic writing. Scott believes that longevity technology will come out before he dies and he'll live several hundred years while waiting for immortality technology or something.

We just have to convince Brian that longevity medicine won't help if someone kills him for ending 8-bit theater. I need to find a mentally unstable fan (make that severely mentally unstable, since we all somewhat apply to the first) and convince him it's his destiny to make sure 8-bit keeps churning out until the world ends.

EDIT: Another reason Brian should keep going is that our failsafe is broken since the HomeStarRunner guys are MIA. We'd have to become normal if that happened.

EvilEarl. As a devout worshipper of Brian (Well, not really. That would be just a little weird) I would be willing to do this. Of course, I would be spending my life making longevity medicine before I made an immortality device. We cannot become normal. I will make someone commit suicide before that happens!

Though, quite honestly. I have no clue what the HomeStarRunner guys are. So, this failsafe doesn't quite work for me. Since I read Pokemon X I am still safe... For now.

Edit: Gah, the anticlimactisism (I am making that a word as of now) is making my typing and grammar sub-par. If you will excuse that.

Aldurin 02-21-2010 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshedis (Post 1018044)
Though, quite honestly. I have no clue what the HomeStarRunner guys are.

Prepare to watch your life spiral down the hole of flash cartoons.

Truec 02-21-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurosen (Post 1018036)

This is what I planned.

Well, okay. It's not like you've ever lied to us before or anything.

Ronfar 02-21-2010 12:17 AM

I'm not sure this is actually the longest joke setup ever in a webcomic.

Irregular Webcomic also has a claim.

Locke cole 02-21-2010 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronfar (Post 1018056)

Look at the respective dates on the Irregular Webcomic strips. That's only three years in the making.

Amateur. :p

Papermage 02-21-2010 12:30 AM

Wait a minute. What about Doctor Swordopolis and Fighter's "destiny"? I was completely waiting for him to show up and have Fighter use him to slice Chaos in half, or something.

Bob The Mercenary 02-21-2010 12:38 AM

I don't get it.

Solid Snake 02-21-2010 12:40 AM

The archives, Bob the Mercenary! Get thee to the archives!!

(Hint: Start at the very beginning.)

EDIT: I actually refuse to believe this is the very last comic because I have a strong suspicion that Brian would have a front page post (or at least, something unique to say on the forums) about it. This final insult to Black Mage may take us to an epilogue and there may be nothing more in terms of significant reveals, but I just have a hunch that Clevinger's ending will be obvious enough that we won't have to debate it.
(I fully await Mr. Clevinger bursting in here, laughing at my face and telling me I'm dead wrong...)

Still, if this was the official ending: there's a few unanswered questions that I'd want Brian to at least discuss with his fans in the forums or through a FAQ.

EDIT 2: Mr. Clevinger already beat me to it, and apparently there's (a little) more to come.

joshedis 02-21-2010 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 1018069)
The archives, Bob the Mercenary! Get thee to the archives!!

(Hint: Start at the very beginning.)

Idea come soon to you it will, young padowan.

Edit: EvilEarl. I would watch those videos, except South Park is on right now.

Bob The Mercenary 02-21-2010 12:44 AM

I mean, I know about the reference to four white mages and nintendo power. But, what was in that issue? An actual strategy to beat the game with four white mages?

joshedis 02-21-2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob the Mercenary (Post 1018072)
I mean, I know about the reference to four white mages and nintendo power. But, what was in that issue? An actual strategy to beat the game with four white mages?

I am pretty sure it just mentioned the plausability of doing it with 4 White mages.

Bob The Mercenary 02-21-2010 12:50 AM

Well...huh.

Now I feel like a dick for being absolutely unaffected by that conclusion. Good job anyway, Brian. Here's looking forward to the denouement.

:(

Mirai Gen 02-21-2010 12:51 AM

My dumbfounded, mid-laughter confusion aside, I have to say the possibility that this or the big, epic, final confrontation were both perfectly possible all along during 8bit's lifespan was really what made the comic a treat to read.

EDIT: This is, of course, if you know Brian's style of anticlimax.

justice~! 02-21-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papermage (Post 1018065)
Wait a minute. What about Doctor Swordopolis and Fighter's "destiny"? I was completely waiting for him to show up and have Fighter use him to slice Chaos in half, or something.

I second this...what was this actually referring to? Will we ever know?

Solid Snake 02-21-2010 12:55 AM

The only thing that lessened the impact of the joke for me was the fact that three of the four characters on White Mage's team simply haven't been factors at all in the plot (I can't say for certain that they haven't appeared before now, but I certainly don't remember them.) A little more foreshadowing as to their existence would have led to a bigger narrative payoff.

But then again, I don't think Brian cares about narrative payoffs: he's just looking for yet another way to take Black Mage down a few more pegs, and this kind of unexpected development is the worst kind of pill for BM to stomach. So, I can't blame him for having the story (at least temporarily) take a backseat.

Mirai Gen 02-21-2010 12:55 AM

man 8bit theater really has gone downhill since it ended

Panthera 02-21-2010 01:06 AM

I'm guessing something to do with Swordopolis and Darko will be part of the loose ends Brian says he's still going to wrap up before the end of the end.

PyrosNine 02-21-2010 01:07 AM

The comment about a celestial cigarette butt in Black Mage's eye was important: the world exists to hurt Black Mage, and when the world needed his power the most, he had utter failure.

He failed to properly work for chaos, he failed in making Chaos's goals succeed, he failed as a nexus of chaos, and he failed as a light warrior, and as a main character. The LW's were decoy protagonists in a long line of Decoy protagonists.

This is also the most epic anticlimax ever, so it definitely works, and ends with the boss's total death by BM doing something stupid- a sneeze.

But I think one thing Brian has got going on is that war, war never changes. Oh wait, I mean, that life goes on, with or without you. The time loop made pretty sure that Chaos would never succeed in his plans, and that Sarda's goals were ultimately pointless and futile, and that if the LW's hadn't gone down the road, the world would have been fine, and since they have gone down the road, the world's going to end up fine anyway. Chaos would have been defeated irregardless, and the world would go on.

Obviously there's gonna be some epilogue, as level 1 or not, they have stilled accrued more atrocity in their entire lives for 3,502 Nuremberg trials, a few of which are for breaking laws of time and space, and the sole strongest party around isn't going to let them just walk away from it, All of the Kingdoms are still existing (except maybe dwarfland) and there are still hundreds of crazy people dotting the landscape.

I expect the next few comics to feature a cameo from every recurring character EVER. I mean it. Brian. Kurosen. Do it. If it ends up being cool as a wallpaper, extra points.

Oh well. Assuming they aren't killed on the spot or incarcerated, Thief has a princely life back at his Kingdom, Red Mage has a clan of reality warping mages to restart, and Black Mage and Fighter have a life of being wandering adventurers to return to.

Solus 02-21-2010 01:27 AM

Quote:

That issue of Nintendo Power was just a strategy guide that covered the entirety of Final Fantasy I, and only that game. It was not focused on a specific party.
It listed weapon stats, info on towns, bosses, secrets, tips, and so forth.
The comment on 4 white mages was just an editors remark randomly tossed in there along with a few other comments.

waddle2120 02-21-2010 01:36 AM

I seem to remember that at the end of each magazine they would list a "challenge" to complete, and I remember that one of the challenges was beating the game using 4 white mages.

I unfortunately don't have my old issues anymore so I can't go back to find out which one it was... Although I am pretty sure it was not a strategy guide persay, just a normal issue.

waddle2120 02-21-2010 01:37 AM

Quote:

mean, I know about the reference to four white mages and nintendo power. But, what was in that issue? An actual strategy to beat the game with four white mages?.
I seem to remember that at the end of each magazine they would list a "challenge" to complete, and I remember that one of the challenges was beating the game using 4 white mages.

I unfortunately don't have my old issues anymore so I can't go back to find out which one it was... Although I am pretty sure it was not a strategy guide persay, just a normal issue

AngelFoodBB 02-21-2010 02:01 AM

not saying this in a joke manner like everyone else. The ending was lame.

stefan 02-21-2010 02:43 AM

so, White mage just killed chaos.

perhaps its just my religious beliefs speaking, but I have a strong suspicion that killing the personification of chaos is going to have horrible, horrible ramifications upon the 8bit world.

It would also fit into how white mage has more or less had every task she's set for herself come to ruin through various means.

... 02-21-2010 03:17 AM

To everyone who says none of these characters but White Mage have appeared before...

:rmage:FALSE!

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you....

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2005/04/...n-recognition/

PS This is pretty much the best ending I've ever read. Brian Clevinger I take back anything bad I've ever said or thought about this comic.

meo 02-21-2010 04:23 AM

So, like, is his name Preist and he's a Priest?

... 02-21-2010 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meo (Post 1018140)
So, like, is his name Preist and he's a Priest?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preist Now that would just be silly, as everyone in 8 bit theater has the same name as what they do. Obviously, he was meant to be a municipality in Western Germany.

POS Industries 02-21-2010 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelFoodBB (Post 1018111)
not saying this in a joke manner like everyone else. The ending was lame.

You're just mad because it didn't appeal to your obsession with crossdressing.

Like always.

Geminex 02-21-2010 04:56 AM

It took me quite a while to realize what comic this was a refrence to. And I don't even feel bad. Really, Brain? 1114 comics? I mean, really? Do you have a mental image of a readership that re-reads the entire comic every sunday, just to make sure that they can quote every panel in casual everyday conversation?

Still, once I realized, it was hilarious. And mildly impressive. Though couldn't you have skipped 3 pages of filler along the way? 1111 would have made for a much more satisfying realization.

Neni 02-21-2010 06:28 AM

WIN!!! WIN !!!!
GIANT EPIC SUPER WIN!!!
WHITE F**CKING MAGE SET UP SINCE EPISODE 2 OR 5 OR SOMETHING I DON'T KNOW EPIC SUPER DUPER WIIIIIN!!!!

AND AERITH WHITE MAGE LIIIIIIIIIIIIVES!!

Nightshine 02-21-2010 08:56 AM

"Oh Goddammit It"

Veho 02-21-2010 09:03 AM

Hey Chaos!

http://i46.tinypic.com/2ds4hfo.gif

Alipeewee 02-21-2010 09:25 AM

I have a feeling that somebody might be coming back. Sure, he might be a little far away, but I can think of a way he could get back.

meo 02-21-2010 09:33 AM

I think Brian would only use a second brick joke if nobody bothered pointing out that there is both a chocobo that can fly to the moon and Dragoon on the moon. Now Dragoon gets to die up there forever. Thanks a lot, Alipeewee.

I do hope for the final few strips of the series, Brian goes through each character introduced in the run to show what became of them. Bahamut, King Steve, the Dark Warriors, Princess Sarah, even Black Belt. Black Belt's can be either of his rotted corpse and the words 'Black Belt died and stayed that way. Forever'.

Kurosen 02-21-2010 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truec (Post 1018052)
Well, okay. It's not like you've ever lied to us before or anything.

Like I said. I can't prove it to you because I kept it a secret FROM EVERYONE except for a few people very close to me whom you wouldn't believe if you don't believe me anyway. But it's the way that it is. I gain or lose nothing by lying about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronfar (Post 1018056)

You're kidding right? Onion Kid = Sarda was longer than that.