The Warring States of NPF

The Warring States of NPF (http://www.nuklearforums.com/index.php)
-   Hosted Discussion (http://www.nuklearforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   #1221: "Witnesses to our victory!" (http://www.nuklearforums.com/showthread.php?t=37312)

Astrobot7000 02-21-2010 09:37 AM

So what's left to wrap up?
The fate of the Dark Warriors, the fate of the Real Light Warriors, most likely we will have to see what Darko and Swordopolis have to say about the situation, and of course we need to find out the fates of the Light Warriors.

Oh, the return of Dragoon would be nice. He enters, too late and the epic battle is already open.

Super King 02-21-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meo (Post 1018175)
I think Brian would only use a second brick joke if nobody bothered pointing out that there is both a chocobo that can fly to the moon and Dragoon on the moon. Now Dragoon gets to die up there forever. Thanks a lot, Alipeewee.

Naw, that theory has been around for a very long time now.
So as far as loose ends are concerned, we have:
Darko and Swordopolis
Other Warriors
Dragoon and Chocobo
Bahamut and the end days
Dark Warriors

Anyway, I really don't think that the LWs are in any danger. The majority of the world are idiots, and will believe that it was them that defeated Chaos, probably after some of Theif's patented flawed logic and circular reasoning. Event if no one is fooled, Theif is still the ruler of the most powerful nation on Earth

Aldurin 02-21-2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefan (Post 1018121)
so, White mage just killed chaos.

I've already said, Chaos died when Black Mage sneezedokened his head off.

Solus 02-21-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

I mean, I know about the reference to four white mages and nintendo power. But, what was in that issue? An actual strategy to beat the game with four white mages?
That is why I am saying it is not a normal issue of Nintendo Power. It is just a strategy guide for the game, no matter what classes you pick. It lists every item, every town, the monsters, and so forth. Its not for a specific class. Its like a normal strategy guide for any other game. A reference book.
The white mage comment in the book was just something random the editor said. (And I don't think he even tested it out, since four white mages is actually one of the easier ways to beat the game once you get to the midway point thanks to the exit spell and items like Thor's hammer.)

Quote:

Other Warriors
They were Sarda'd.

Quote:

Bahamut and the end days
Dark Warriors
I wouldn't mind seeing more of them, but after Bikke's brilliant attack, they ran off, so that could be considered their end.
As for the prophecy, it was because of the enlightened warriors that Chaos was able to manifest himself. The end of days may have just been adverted.

Veho 02-21-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solus (Post 1018190)
The white mage comment in the book was just something random the editor said. (And I don't think he even tested it out, since four white mages is actually one of the easier ways to beat the game once you get to the midway point thanks to the exit spell and items like Thor's hammer.)

:O_o: Did you say "exit spell"?

Could it be?

Domestibot 02-21-2010 12:23 PM

Yeah, there's some wrapping up to do for sure. SOMETHING happens to the light warriors, at least based on a prior statement made by Sarda.

"I still know I win because my past self grows up in a world no longer terrorized by you!"

Or something to that effect.

Faythoffenrir 02-21-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alipeewee (Post 1018174)
I have a feeling that somebody might be coming back. Sure, he might be a little far away, but I can think of a way he could get back.

Never saw the connection before. Now I do.

Nightshine 02-21-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faythoffenrir (Post 1018217)
Never saw the connection before. Now I do.

Guys, we now have to read through all the archives again and see exactly what Brian will pull out of his ass from the past.

Ecks 02-21-2010 01:54 PM

NO! I WON'T DO AN ARCHIVE BINGE AGAIN, I JUST CAN'T!

Amake 02-21-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

his ass from the past.
But where is his ass. . .?

Nah, too easy.

By the way I just realized something about the joke: Black Mage is wrong again. Heeh.

UndrDog 02-21-2010 01:59 PM

So bitter-sweet. On one hand that was the greatest setup there has ever been. On the other hand, this can only mean the series is nearing it's close. Don't end it Mr. Clevinger sir!

S-seriously, this is like the only Webcomic that actually updates. Not to mention it's also the best.

Red King 02-21-2010 02:01 PM

Well. I'm actually a little sad. The webcomic I've looked forward to every odd day has finally reached it's conclusion.

That was still rockin' awesome though. I didn't get it at first, and then it hit me. I dont care what some people are saying, that has got to be the best way to end 8bit. It is the only conclusion that is not only satisfactory, but downright awesome.

I would like to see a few of the character plots wrapped up (Like Bahamut and Trickster, etc.) but I'm content if it ended here.

Also, for everybody complaining about filler. Stuff it. You complain now because it keeps you from getting things read faster, but once you start re-reading the comic(I know you do it.) you'll be glad, because without filler this would be an infinitely shorter and less funny comic. The filler is what makes 8bit great. I don't want to see an epic battle with the fiends. I want to see Drizz'l "Break the Ice". (I think I spelled his name wrong.)

Truec 02-21-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domestibot (Post 1018210)
Yeah, there's some wrapping up to do for sure. SOMETHING happens to the light warriors, at least based on a prior statement made by Sarda.

"I still know I win because my past self grows up in a world no longer terrorized by you!"

Or something to that effect.

Considering they're all level 0 and can't do anything to terrorize the world, I don't think Onion Kid is going to have to worry about them.

mad2physicist 02-21-2010 03:36 PM

Don't you just wish the Giant from Giant's Forest could have had something to do with this? I mean, why not go for the absolute record on 'longest time between opening and closing of a joke?'
Not that Brian didn't just SET that record. But he could have set it HIGHER.

... 02-21-2010 03:44 PM

No Solicitors

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad2physicist (Post 1018261)
Don't you just wish the Giant from Giant's Forest could have had something to do with this? I mean, why not go for the absolute record on 'longest time between opening and closing of a joke?'

The absolute highest record would be if the solicitors the Giant's Forest was trying to keep out showed up to do something in the very last panel of the comic. Or at least referencing that sign in some way.

Veho 02-21-2010 03:55 PM

The absolute highest record would be if the person to defeat Chaos were that old man in the blue robe that took all of Fighter's (and BM's) money in exchange for the info on the Cave of No Return.

Ecks 02-21-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veho (Post 1018274)
The absolute highest record would be if the person to defeat Chaos were that old man in the blue robe that took all of Fighter's (and BM's) money in exchange for the info on the Cave of No Return.

Unfortunately, he was only referenced, and never made an actual appearance. Dunno if that would count or not.

Green Spanner 02-21-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veho (Post 1018274)

I'll admit I would laugh if the last page of 8-bit was the old man living it up, telling people of the time he tricked some idiot into giving him all his money.

Art of Hilt 02-21-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UndrDog (Post 1018233)
S-seriously, this is like the only Webcomic that actually updates.

Not to diminish 8-Bit in any way but that's simply not true at all ever.

Also, people trying to set a higher record, those wouldn't be jokes. They would just be badly foreshadowed references or whatever. I don't know. They'd just be a random character from the past doing something that they have no business doing. 4 White Mages beating Chaos is an actual joke, since it was that very event that was dismissed by Black Mage ten years ago.

timemonkey 02-21-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad2physicist (Post 1018261)

I still say they'll run into a giant on the way out and get crushed again. They couldn't even handle them before they lost all their abilities.

Marinated-in-Sin 02-21-2010 04:38 PM

omg most clever joke of all time!!!!!!SHIFT1

of all time

no but seriously

nice cop out

i guess it saves you the trouble of actually writing something that doesn't suck.

Ecks 02-21-2010 04:52 PM

your thinly veiled criticism is thinly veiled
and not very subtle

Nuklear Waste 02-21-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super King (Post 1018180)
So as far as loose ends are concerned, we have:
Darko and Swordopolis
Other Warriors
Dragoon and Chocobo
Bahamut and the end days
Dark Warriors

Eh...

The patron deities: I think it was implied that the Light Warriors kinda failed their gods' prophecies. Megahedron, Darko, and Swordopolis got all fed up with their guy's stupidity (and 2 of them were shown walking out), and Raven was outconned.

Other Warriors: As much as I like these guys, you can stick a fork in them--they're done (or worse).

Dragoon: Again, I like him, but I don't think it really qualifies as a "loose end".

Bahamut: He was just supposed to usher in the end times, not necessarily participate in them.

Mirai Gen 02-21-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marinated-in-Sin (Post 1018304)
omg most clever joke of all time!!!!!!SHIFT1

of all time

no but seriously

nice cop out

i guess it saves you the trouble of actually writing something that doesn't suck.

This is the reason I love this comic.

Fantabulate 02-21-2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuklear Waste (Post 1018033)
Not sure if that's sarcasm, but I can think of a few reasons: the backgrounds stopped being 8-bit around the time they went to Elfland (and they weren't even that in the very first few strips); less custom sprite poses; different font (only in the first few) and the speech bubbles had thinner outlines. The different backgrounds are probably the most notable.

NO!!! That's not what I mean. I guess I'll be blunt, then.

I THINK HE CHANGED SOME OF THE TEXT IN THE EARLY COMICS TO FIT WITH THIS ONE.

He's been known to do such things before.

Archbio 02-21-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

This is the reason I love this comic.
That's a pretty sad statement, in itself.

I know it's not actually true, or else I would surely go mad.

Gadgeteer 02-21-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantabulate (Post 1018330)

AhHA! Here is my moment to be the shinning asshole I always knew I could be!

*ahem*

Why don't you PROVE IT?!

PsychicKid 02-21-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

That's just an urban legend.

Greenjolt 02-21-2010 06:04 PM

the most funniest, awsomeness, and just plain "did-not-expect-this-to-be-how-chaos-was-killed" ever! if this is the end or near end of the comic, then damnit bryan, you outdid yourself.

timemonkey 02-21-2010 06:18 PM

I don't think Black Mage failed Darko. Black Mage basically created Sarda and then filled him with super evil, which he obtained while earning his class change (maybe the reason Darko had to turn him into a Blue Mage is because him absorbing his ambient evil was the whole point of sending him there), which he then used to push Sarda over the edge and allow the coming of Chaos. All in all I'd say that was a perfectly executed plan until Chaos dropped the ball.

Even though they didn't personally defeat Chaos, they did bring about his coming which allowed the White Warriors to defeat him. Plus they did kill the four fiends, twice. Actually, the world is probably in the best shape it's ever been with Chaos and the Fiends dead and the Ligt Warriors depowered o the point of being nothing specil. Evil's lost a lot of ground because of the Light Warriors.

Drake XD 02-21-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

OOH I can prove you wrong ^^
This was made in 2003:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/79149
You don't have to watch far in before you hear Black Mage say "4 White Mages? It'll never work"

So that proves the White Mage joke was there before 2003 XD

CopperNinja 02-21-2010 07:05 PM

Black Mage is gonna die big time. I figure he is gonna hit on White Mage
and get his head smacked off.

Or maybe Darko(Assuming he actually exists)will plant his foot in Black Mages jewels.

Nuklear Waste 02-21-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

What are you talking about? Thief's class change was always black and there was never a Bard.

TimeSpaceMage 02-21-2010 08:11 PM

So ah... I wonder where the Orbs' power went. >_>

KoolKKid 02-21-2010 08:18 PM

FOUR WHITE MAGES??!! IT'LL NEVER WORK!!!

PWNED BM. PWNED.

Kirbyslaboratory 02-21-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EckScizor (Post 1018276)
Unfortunately, he was only referenced, and never made an actual appearance. Dunno if that would count or not.

Oh, no, he appeared for one brief strip. Black Mage roasted him swiftly though.
http://www.nuklearpower.com/2001/04/...-accomplished/

whereami 02-21-2010 09:21 PM

I hope they [Light Warriors] get their own restuarant now that the comic is almost over [presumably].

y10k_complient 02-21-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

I chuckled at the first mention and then again today... because I actually tried this. It took FOREVER to kill anything until you got into the sky castle, but then it was like a hot knife through buttah. My favorite setup was one BM and 3 WMs - which is disturbing in it's own special way.

Xshu 02-21-2010 09:28 PM

I'm a little annoyed that the only epic fights were against Lich and Kary. I liked it when he pulled the rug out from under us with Kraken, and then it was kind of funny with Muffin since I didn't see it coming twice in a row, and the four fiends fight was replaced with the BM fight so I didn't mind it, and I got a chuckle when Sarda blew himself up, but now it's just disappointing. It's like Brian showed us he could do semi-serious plot with 8-Bit if he wanted to and then he just never did it again. The BM fight was heading there while it lasted, but that became one of the "payoffs that never happen". Oh well.

That having been said, this was the best setup ever. It's almost worth the lack of an epic fight.

orangejediman 02-21-2010 10:24 PM

I posted the record on the ultimate record database!

It will be up within the next seven days.

urdb.org

Faythoffenrir 02-21-2010 10:54 PM

What about an optional superboss for them to fight?

Deborah 02-21-2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Not this one, though. I was there. I remember reading this and loving the strategy guide appearance back in 2001.

Ah, those were good days. I got my roommate interested one day when she was looking over my shoulder and even though she'd never played FF before, she loved the strip just because Fighter was funny.

Art of Hilt 02-21-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirbyslaboratory (Post 1018373)
Oh, no, he appeared for one brief strip. Black Mage roasted him swiftly though.
http://www.nuklearpower.com/2001/04/...-accomplished/

No, no, that was an innocent old man in a red robe.
The guy who took Fighter's money was in a blue robe.
http://www.nuklearpower.com/2001/08/...er-in-the-eye/

Edit- "IT'S BLACK MAGE FROM THE FUTURE WHO STOLE FIGHTER'S MONEY"
There. I articulated the crazyass theory so nobody has to.

GARUD 02-21-2010 11:52 PM

Guys, guys, you are all missing the point.

Black Mage gets to be in a 5-some!

Mirai Gen 02-21-2010 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archbio (Post 1018334)
That's a pretty sad statement, in itself.

I know it's not actually true, or else I would surely go mad.

This specific comic, I mean.

tshadowdrag 02-22-2010 12:04 AM

White Mage proved her point in using the Light Warriors and like the most of us, we pretty much ignored the point that Evil Princess Sara was making about the male populous in what we wanted to see.

I wouldn't be surprised she made King Steve sell S'no cones so she could finally rule Corneria.

I have a feeling Dr. Swordopolis will send Fighter back on his quest for the Armor of Invincibilty and BM will just have to tag around or otherwise have to deal with 4 white warriors. That and I feel final comic will come on March 1st - 9 year 8 bit anniversairy.

Dragoon will stay on the moon despite everyone else wanting him off. Just leave it at that.

I was hoping for the white mage ending as it was the only one to fit, I wonder if I was one of the others that never wanted to mention it because secretly wanted to see it?

Dancing_Fox 02-22-2010 12:28 AM

Can't believe that no-one has mentioned that "Ashes Chaos" is in "Sarda/Chaos" form rather than "Big Scary Chaos" form.

Speculation on why the ashes form isn't in the big scary version?

Changed back when out of view?

Fantabulate 02-22-2010 12:41 AM

No, once more, I don't mean the page where he talks about the 4 white mages. That's always been there. I mean a couple of later pages where white mage and black-belt used to refer to them as "charges" and now refer to them as something else.

Specifically:

I don't remember THAT being the original plan:
http://www.nuklearpower.com/2001/12/...iting-to-suck/

Same in this one:
http://www.nuklearpower.com/2001/12/...ight-warriors/

This one I could be wrong about... but I don't remember the mentioning of war-mech before. But IDK:http://www.nuklearpower.com/2002/01/...t-dont-get-it/

Art of Hilt 02-22-2010 12:47 AM

The second one seems different from what I remember, but I remember Black Belt has always said something about them being decoys. The War-Mech... has also always been there, yeah. I remember that.

joshedis 02-22-2010 01:27 AM

As for the optional boss, Sephiroth is always a good option. Haha, just kidding. He would kill them just with his presence. For an actual boss, they could go up against war mech. Who is about the only other super powered enemy in this game. Oh! Better yet, the Omega Weapon! With Lazers! And Guns! AND BIG BOOM STICKS!

...Best. Boss. Ever.

Regulus Tera 02-22-2010 04:07 AM

Wait, I thought the "use cure/phoenix down/whatever" trick on the final boss only worked in Mystic Quest.

I'll shut up now!

PyrosNine 02-22-2010 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regulus Tera (Post 1018481)
Wait, I thought the "use cure/phoenix down/whatever" trick on the final boss only worked in Mystic Quest.

I'll shut up now!

No, the actual trick with four white mages is that there are magical staffs and weapons that can cast non white magic spells for free, that can use the White Mage's magic power to increase their attack. The white mages can also have at least a potent staff attack, use holy, and naturally have plenty of cure spells to keep themselves alive.

The battle ends up being a war of attrition, whittling down Chaos.

Of course, these aren't just white mages, as each of them has extra skills beyond that of a white mage. Healer probably can do stat buffs and regen, Priest can use paladin style healing and attacks, and Shaman can do debuffs and use simple summons. Of course, White Mage can use every white magic spell and is deadly with that hammer, and may have had a hand in the creation of the current universe.

(Of note, other challenges include an all Black Belt Party, One Black mage going solo, etc. The easiest, though harder in the end game, is four Red Mages.)

Fantabulate 02-22-2010 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art of Hilt (Post 1018437)
The second one seems different from what I remember, but I remember Black Belt has always said something about them being decoys. The War-Mech... has also always been there, yeah. I remember that.

Well, I said I wasn't sure about the last one. Really. That was just sort of thrown in there...

However, the first and second I think WHERE different at some point. I think. I thought they used to say stuff more along the lines of the light warriors being twisted into heros, not decoys, where they now are, well, decoys.

There's one other I saw with white mage and black belt wandering around where they refer to them as "Decoys" now and they used to refer to them as "Charges."

EvilFuzzy9 02-22-2010 08:20 AM

... Clevinger, you magnificent bastard!

Grognor 02-22-2010 08:53 AM

Sarda said that Onion Kid doesn't grow up in a world terrorized by the Light Warriors.

He'll grow up in a world terrorized by the Dark Warriors.

Also, I think the Light Warriors will end this comic dead. Not sure why I think that. Just do.

Leper Messiah TR 02-22-2010 09:47 AM

"black"? *roll*

"preist" :sweatdrop

but the rest... pure greatness

8BIT MUST NEVER DIE

tacticslion 02-22-2010 10:05 AM

Tautology?

Just four words: EPIC!

Kurosen 02-22-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantabulate (Post 1018435)
Specifically:

I don't remember THAT being the original plan:
http://www.nuklearpower.com/2001/12/...iting-to-suck/

Same in this one:
http://www.nuklearpower.com/2001/12/...ight-warriors/

This one I could be wrong about... but I don't remember the mentioning of war-mech before. But IDK:http://www.nuklearpower.com/2002/01/...t-dont-get-it/

Spoiler: you're wrong about all of this.

Warrioroflightfromanother 02-22-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xshu (Post 1018380)
I'm a little annoyed that the only epic fights were against Lich and Kary. I liked it when he pulled the rug out from under us with Kraken, and then it was kind of funny with Muffin since I didn't see it coming twice in a row, and the four fiends fight was replaced with the BM fight so I didn't mind it, and I got a chuckle when Sarda blew himself up, but now it's just disappointing. It's like Brian showed us he could do semi-serious plot with 8-Bit if he wanted to and then he just never did it again. The BM fight was heading there while it lasted, but that became one of the "payoffs that never happen". Oh well.

That having been said, this was the best setup ever. It's almost worth the lack of an epic fight.

Well I think its kind of hard to make epic fight with 8-bit sprites, it would look just too silly. Also what other episode has fake ending? I only know 1070.

Meister 02-22-2010 11:27 AM

Just to prevent any "of course you would say that" posts: I have a good chunk of early episodes on my hard drive from at least six or seven years ago, and checking those three reveals that, like Brian says, they're the exact same that are online today.

Kind of makes me wonder why I also thought something about the second one seemed unfamiliar, but I guess it was just some psychological effect caused by expecting to see an old episode with updated text.

tacticslion 02-22-2010 11:40 AM

Something Seconded

Also, just to back Meister up on this (and because I want it too):

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meister (Post 1017957)
e: if there's one thing about 8BT I could pick to get it would be Creator's Commentary

Seriously. I would love to get to know what goes on in Brian's head... the better to avoid getting any on me, of course.

Meister 02-22-2010 11:43 AM

95% of episodes:

"Yeah in this one I stretched the joke as far as it would possibly go so the final reveal about the four white mages would come another tiny bit later."

tacticslion 02-22-2010 11:45 AM

Tru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meister (Post 1018561)
95% of episodes:

"Yeah in this one I stretched the joke as far as it would possibly go so the final reveal about the four white mages would come another tiny bit later."

QFT

Kolgax 02-22-2010 12:03 PM

You know, last I remember Chaos he was huge and had arms and legs. Is it possible that the ashen thing the white mages blew up was kind of like the dead skin of a snake?

Faythoffenrir 02-22-2010 12:35 PM

I think I just figured 8 bit theater out. Queen Jayne is the true big bad. That is the only reasonable explanation. Chaos/Sarda was just her pawn. Every thing bad that has happend was her fault. She did not stop King Steve from seeking the "Light Warriors", and BM and Fighters stay in Corneria led to the Onion Kids first scarring for life. Thus leading to Sarda becoming Chaos. She also could have stopped King Steve from chosing our "heroes" as the Light Warriors. She secretly wanted to cause as much evil as she did. And where do you think Sarah got her evil, hmm?

Veho 02-22-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meister (Post 1018561)
95% of episodes:

But I like that about 8BT. Probably because Brian manages to pull it off. The filler is funny. The tangents are funny. The plot-halting constant bickering is funny. All the random useless sidequests are funny. The "meanwhile" comics are funny. Some of the best jokes were in the filler comics, and without it the whole of 8BT would be a hundred comics long.

And somehow, it fits the main characters. They all seem like they have an attention span of five seconds, and the fact the comic meanders and goes off on tangents and asides and that everything seems to be taking one step forward, two steps back and one to the side, fits them perfectly. It's what these guys would do.

Meister 02-22-2010 01:20 PM

I never said I considered it a bad thing. :)

tacticslion 02-22-2010 03:47 PM

The Arts of Stealth and Subtlety... and Quotes For Truth

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veho (Post 1018578)
A valid point and mild rebuttle to my own and Meister's vaguely amusing (to me) banter

So, after pondering the ways in which he could ninja'd me, while I slave laboriously at studies...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meister (Post 1018584)
I never said I considered it a bad thing. :)

So, yeah. QFT and Ninja'd.

Syzygy 02-22-2010 04:15 PM

Ok, I don't really get the whole white mage thing. I don't remember priest, shaman, or healer ever showing up in previous comics, or even being mentioned. And what's with the nintendo power black mage is looking at?

Mirai Gen 02-22-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meister (Post 1018553)
Just to prevent any "of course you would say that" posts: I have a good chunk of early episodes on my hard drive from at least six or seven years ago, and checking those three reveals that, like Brian says, they're the exact same that are online today.

He says the same thing about Bard.

timemonkey 02-22-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syzygy (Post 1018639)
Ok, I don't really get the whole white mage thing. I don't remember priest, shaman, or healer ever showing up in previous comics, or even being mentioned. And what's with the nintendo power black mage is looking at?

The Nintendo Power is a reference to a challenge that was put out to beat the game with four white mages, Black Mage was seen reading it while Fighter was getting beat up by the first giant they encountered stating that the four white mages party would never work. Ever since the quest got under way White Mage flat out said she was going to just follow the Light warriors around so they could take care of the monsters on the way to destroy Chaos, which was the goal of her Order of White Mages. Granted, a LOT of this stuff was done near the begining of the comic, Black Belt was still alive and well and they hadn't even mentioned the elemental orbs yet.

Xubble 02-22-2010 05:40 PM

Good lord, I think I just jizzed in my pants. Kudos to you, Brian.

Magic_Marker 02-22-2010 05:55 PM

Goddammit, Brian.

Aldurin 02-22-2010 06:13 PM

All of your theories are obviously wrong. Dragoon will come back on the golden chocobo and Black Mage will get credit for killing Chaos with his sneezedoken. King Steve will continue on an endless cycle of giving away the kingdom to inanimate objects before "killing" them. Black Mage will also show his insensitivity to timelines and kill the Onion Kid. White Mage will be pregnant (the father is anyone's guess) and will give up her vows so she can hammer at will with top priority.

And Brian will be the true final boss (anybody who's played Dink Smallwood knows the best final battle is fighting the creator.) And Red Mage's plan to kill him will be so elaborate and stupid that reality will start to tear until one of the "rip rifts" hits Brian, after leveling half of the world.

UndrDog 02-22-2010 07:07 PM

[QUOTE=Art of Hilt;1018284]Not to diminish 8-Bit in any way but that's simply not true at all ever.[QUOTE]

Well, the only webcomic that I care about then. ^_^

Signal11 02-22-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veho (Post 1018578)
But I like that about 8BT. Probably because Brian manages to pull it off. The filler is funny. The tangents are funny. The plot-halting constant bickering is funny. All the random useless sidequests are funny. The "meanwhile" comics are funny. Some of the best jokes were in the filler comics, and without it the whole of 8BT would be a hundred comics long.

And somehow, it fits the main characters. They all seem like they have an attention span of five seconds, and the fact the comic meanders and goes off on tangents and asides and that everything seems to be taking one step forward, two steps back and one to the side, fits them perfectly. It's what these guys would do.

It's approaching 9 years now.

I'm tiring of this. The jokes, while still funny, aren't that fresh anymore.

Brian needs to stop while he's still in Calvin and Hobbes territory, before it veers into undead zombie Garfield/Peanuts range. I hope it's nearing that, instead of just dragging this on and on.

Anyway, registered after about 8 years of reading, just to say that.

Link_991 02-22-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuklear Waste (Post 1018033)
Not sure if that's sarcasm, but I can think of a few reasons: the backgrounds stopped being 8-bit around the time they went to Elfland (and they weren't even that in the very first few strips); less custom sprite poses; different font (only in the first few) and the speech bubbles had thinner outlines. The different backgrounds are probably the most notable.

All that and the humor kinda changes along the way, or it seems that way to to me.

tshadowdrag 02-22-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilEarl (Post 1018674)
All of your theories are obviously wrong. Dragoon will come back on the golden chocobo and Black Mage will get credit for killing Chaos with his sneezedoken. King Steve will continue on an endless cycle of giving away the kingdom to inanimate objects before "killing" them. Black Mage will also show his insensitivity to timelines and kill the Onion Kid. White Mage will be pregnant (the father is anyone's guess) and will give up her vows so she can hammer at will with top priority.

And Brian will be the true final boss (anybody who's played Dink Smallwood knows the best final battle is fighting the creator.) And Red Mage's plan to kill him will be so elaborate and stupid that reality will start to tear until one of the "rip rifts" hits Brian, after leveling half of the world.

Just no. I think you have a very difficult time of letting go. It's been 9 years and the final battle's been fought. Get ready for the epilogue of epilogues and be ready to move on.

RaphaŽl Lafarge 02-22-2010 09:39 PM

Best boss fight EVER. :D

Aldurin 02-22-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal11 (Post 1018713)
It's approaching 9 years now.

I'm tiring of this. The jokes, while still funny, aren't that fresh anymore.

Brian needs to stop while he's still in Calvin and Hobbes territory, before it veers into undead zombie Garfield/Peanuts range. I hope it's nearing that, instead of just dragging this on and on.

Anyway, registered after about 8 years of reading, just to say that.

Maybe it will go in the direction of a Atomic Robo/Marx Brothers plot features and get better. Just sayin'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tshadowdrag (Post 1018723)
Just no. I think you have a very difficult time of letting go. It's been 9 years and the final battle's been fought. Get ready for the epilogue of epilogues and be ready to move on.

It's 8-bit theater. How can I? I actually think that ending 8-bit is bad for the country. What if it demoralizes the troops in Afghanistan? What if it sabotages our national defenses because the key people are demoralized? I don't want the terrorists to win, especially if it's caused by that.