The Warring States of NPF

The Warring States of NPF (http://www.nuklearforums.com/index.php)
-   Dead threads (http://www.nuklearforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Why The Playstation 3 Is Better Than The Wii And The 360 (http://www.nuklearforums.com/showthread.php?t=27474)

Seil 02-24-2008 04:45 PM

Why The Playstation 3 Is Better Than The Wii And The 360

According to EGM, which I'm reading 'cause I'm on break and at the library, the PS3 is doing better than everyone thought it was:
Quote:

Even though the console had a slow start in North America and Japan, it's been doing better in Europe. It has sold 1.6 million units in Japan, but with sales much higher in France, Italy, Spain and Belgium, it's not unreasonable to expect more and more developers wanting to go PS3.

Remote Play. This might seem insignificant, but the sheer amount of stuff you can do when you connect your PSP to your PS3 is just... wow. Play PS1 games via a WiFi network from your PS3 anywhere you want? Done. Play select PS3 games via Remote Play? Done. Sooner rather than later Sony is going to allow users to download television shows and watch them via RP, as well as watch your Blu-Ray flicks on the go.

"Rushing the X-Box 360 to the market required a premature euthanasia of the original X-Box, while the Wii shattered industry paradigms with its unique controller and defiantley antiquated graphics." Both of these paid of big for the consoles, but "industry insiders" believe that they're headed for trouble. Incidents like "Red Rings Of Death" my hurt 360 sales are more than expected, while the Wii's immense popularity will wane while people look for a more substantial food for their gaming diet.

Ports. Instead of the PS3 getting watered down renditions of things like the Orange Box, which was ported from the 360 version, the PS3 will begin to shine with better versions of the games. Now that the PS3 has had a nice holiday sales boost and its hardware has been looked at more closeley, designers are beginning to get the idea that they can do more with the PS3's hardware than the 360's.

Blu-Ray is winning. Congratulations, you now have a high definition DVD player.

User Created Content - with games like LittleBigPlanet poppoing up that makes its players into pseudo-level designers, the PS3 will stretch beyond user created levels to more community driven content. Take SingStar for example - your own virtual American Idol.

Home sweet home - the interactive community parallels the Sims, but it allows PS3 users to meet, share and generally enjoy each others company. Home will have its full launch this Spring.

The games:
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
  • Gran Turismo 5
  • Resistance 2
  • Killzone 2
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • SOCOM: Confrontation
  • Infamous

I dun wanna start a which is better war here, (Which probably will happen) but I just wanna put this out there for all the PS3 owners to see and appreciate and say to their friends - especially Lynx and Dyreth - that the PS3 is not an expensive doorstop.

*This is all in my own words, but I copied the info from the magazine accurately. Of course, it could be a Kane & Lynch thing all over again.

Mike McC 02-24-2008 06:30 PM

Well, yeah, with games actually being made/released for it now, it looks quite a bit more useful than it did a year ago.

And as for the 'more substantial diets' comment for the Wii, that's awfully presumptuous. Especially since the Wii is getting more and more hard-hitting titles on it.

Remote play sounds a lot better until you realize, hey, I need WiFi to use it! Which is great if you're in a WiFi enabled area, but as far as I know, WiFi isn't yet blanketing every inch of inhabitible areas.

Developers will be lazy, so direct ports will probably still be very common.

In essence, this seems a rather fanboyish article. It brings up many good points, but fails to mention the drawbacks of said points.

Lord of Joshelplex 02-24-2008 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seil
PS3 is doing better than everyone thought it was

You mad fool! Youve doomed yourself to Oblivion!

Ryong 02-24-2008 06:56 PM

Since the start of the current gen I always thought Xbox360 would die down and it'd be basically a battle between Wii's inventive use of the controller and PS3's raw power. I'm still wondering what console I'll get in this gen, if I ever do get one. I'd really like to get a Wii for some specific games ( Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, SSBB and such ) but I'd also like PS3 for other ones ( the new FFs, new KH, littlebigplanet and more ) so it's a difficult battle. And heck, I don't think PS3's a more "substantial food for a gaming diet" compared to the Wii. They're both awesome in their special ways.

Raiden 02-24-2008 07:17 PM

I'm with Fencer. This was a PS3 fanboy talking about why he thinks the PS3 is better.

I don't want to kick off another console battle either. But really. The "Red Ring of Death" hasn't really hurt the XBox 360. It gets a ton of great games every round, it has a solid Wireless Controller set-up, the undeniably best online capabilities of all three systems, and just damn fun to play. The PS3 is JUST NOW starting to get some decent games, and from the looks of it, not many more in succession.

And really, if anyone wants to play Home? Go look at some of the IMVU adds. It's the exact same stuff. And hey, you can cyber immediately instead of having to wait to do it on the PS3.

bluestarultor 02-24-2008 07:51 PM

Really, the RRoD bothers me. These are brand new systems. They have no business dying this quickly. You wouldn't accept it from a new computer; you shouldn't accept it from a new console.

That goes for any system.

However, past that, I'd love to get a Wii if they'd JUST PORT OBLIVION.

Otherwise, most of what I'd like is on PS3. Except SSB. But I'll live.

Lord of Joshelplex 02-24-2008 08:25 PM

I dont believe the Wii could handle Oblivion. If it was like, 16 bit maybe, but not in its current state, even with reduced graphics.

Seil 02-24-2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

Remote play sounds a lot better until you realize, hey, I need WiFi to use it! Which is great if you're in a WiFi enabled area, but as far as I know, WiFi isn't yet blanketing every inch of inhabitible areas.
You'd be surprised. I spend the bulk of my time at work, at home, or at friend's places, and all of them have wireless internet. (=3) So that means that wherever I am normally, I can be playing MGS1 via my PSP.

Mike McC 02-24-2008 09:37 PM

Yeah, but the place where I would most likely play it, namely, at the bus stations or on the bus rides/car trips between places, guess what? No WiFi! There's a lot of places without open WiFi still. So it really isn't as useful as it seems yet.

Believe me, I've looked when I was trying to download puzzles for my copy of Picross DS.

Seil 02-24-2008 09:38 PM

You can get access via T Mobile Hotspots - so you would halfta pay for WiFi, but you'd still be able yo use RP which is pretty cool.