The Warring States of NPF

The Warring States of NPF (http://www.nuklearforums.com/index.php)
-   Dead threads (http://www.nuklearforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Recommend me some anime! (http://www.nuklearforums.com/showthread.php?t=34587)

Magni 05-10-2009 01:06 AM

Recommend me some anime!

So, I'm gonna be internet-less in about a week for a month or so. I would like to stock up on some decent anime for the duration. I'll throw up a list of what I've seen (to the best of my memory), hopefully you guys can build up a good list for me. If it's been on Adult Swim and isn't on the list, it's safe to assume I didn't care for it.

Cowboy Bebop
YuYu Hakusho
s-CRY-ed
Darker Than Black
Hajime no Ippo
Full Metal Alchemist
Kenichi TV
Fate/Stay Night
Black Cat
Ah! My Goddess Season One
Rurouni Kenshin
Mushi-shi
RahXephon (The only mech anime I've liked, really)
Gurren Lagan movie (hated anime, liked movie, cause it summarized anime)
Berserk
Busou Renkin
Basilisk (Kinda eh)
Elfen Lied
Black Lagoon (season 1, was meh)
Fumoffu
Chobits
Fruits Basket
FLCL
Death Note (gave up half way through)
Pumpkin Scissors

Currently watching: Asura Cryin', Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Kim 05-10-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magni (Post 924360)
Gurren Lagan movie (hated anime, liked movie, cause it summarized anime)

I am surprised as hell that anyone holds this opinion. I'm not going to argue with it; it's just so opposite to any opinion about TTGL that I'd expect that I'm in shock.

Here is what you need, or, rather, what I say you need:

Hellsing Ultimate
Yakitate!! Japan (At least until the end of the Monico Cup)
Pani Poni Dash
Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei
Eden of the East
Gunbuster
Diebuster
Evangelion: You Are (Not) Alone
Trigun
Paranoia Agent
Tokyo Godfathers
Paprika
Metropolis
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (But only if you watch it in the order it aired)
Afro Samurai

I've got more, but that should do you for a while. I might remove/add some later.

Drownball-Champ 05-10-2009 06:19 PM

Yakitate! Japan - anime about baking bread... With Solar HANDS!

Monster - about a killer

Ultimate Survivor Kaiji- but it involved rock/paper/scissors, gambling, and 'star chips'( not really star chips, i just can't remember what these were called in the series).

Trigun - it was shown on AS, but isn't on your list. Just putting it here because there is absolutely no way anyone can think FMA is better than this. <Don't mean to cause any kind of argument with this just stating my opinion>

Ronin Warriors - old-school sentai anime, although maybe sentai isnt the right word

Gundam Wing
Azumanga Daioh
Outlaw Star
Ranma 1/2
X
Fighting Foodons
Ghost Stories (ENGLISH)
Duel Masters (ENGLISH)
Ai Yori Aoshi
Soul Eater
Chrono Crusade
Shaman King
G-Gundam
Digimon
CardCaptor Sakura
Sailor Moon
Lupin the 3rd
Detective Conan
Rune Soldier
Death Note (live action movies 1 & 2, first half of the season but way better)

EDIT: I second these ones that NonCon posted:
Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei
Paranoia Agent
Tokyo Godfathers
Paprika
Metropolis
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (But only if you watch it in the order it aired)

Kim 05-10-2009 06:36 PM

I can totally understand people liking FMA more than Trigun, it just so happens that whether or not I agree with them depends on which I was watching most recently, and my mood at the time.

Monster is good, but I'm hesitant to recommend it as it feels very slow to some, a problem exacerbated by the length, and the villain feels inconsistent to me.

One thing I want to bring up in regards to Yakitate!! Japan, other than it declines after the Monico Cup, and debatedly during said competition, is that you really have to watch until the Newcomers Competition before it really starts to become super duper awesome.

bluestarultor 05-10-2009 07:04 PM

My brother's been watching some that are pretty good.

Buso Renkin is one about alchemy and magical weaponry. Before anyone goes screaming "FMA CLONE!" at the idea of alchemy in anime, I can tell you, it's handled completely differently, and makes a good go of it.

Aquarion is a comedy mech show. Now, I have to say, I've seen a lot of anime containing sexual humor, but this one is completely BASED on it in such a way that it's both incredibly innocent and absolutely side-bustingly blatant. It's not so bad, it's good. It's so terrible, it's compulsory. You will laugh until it hurts every episode as they find a new thing to say or show totally innocently that packs more innuendo than you'd think humanly possible.

Past that, if you're willing to go live-action, I highly recommend Super Sentai. TVNihon has several series fully subbed. For comedy, I wholeheartedly recommend Gekiranger and Dekaranger. They were ported over and totally ruined as Power Rangers: Jungle Fury and SPD, respectively. (Actually, I liked SPD for how intelligent it was, but Dekaranger is all that and a bag of chips.) I hear Timeranger is also very good, although I have yet to watch any of it, and I think that one's more on the serious side (don't quote me on it, though). I'd recommend Dairanger, as fans place it as the second best Sentai series ever made (after Jetman), but I don't think it's fully subbed. I watched it anyway until YouTube took it all down and have yet to find another full compilation.

synkr0nized 05-10-2009 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NonCon (Post 924558)
Here is what you need, or, rather, what I say you need:

So I wanted to come in and find fault with this list, but I'd recommend them all, too. Well, not Afro Samurai, but whatever. It's a list worth working through.

If you don't at least watch Haruhi, I will murder you.

Kim 05-10-2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synkr0nized (Post 924599)
Well, not Afro Samurai, but whatever.

I just like shallow, stylish, cliche action shows. It is the Achilles Heel to my taste. I mean, other shows I can generally give a pretty good justification for why I like it, but with Afro Samurai, and Hellsing Ultimate to a degree as well, the entire reason I recommend it is because it's shallow, puts style over substance, and tries to be as cliche as possible.

Magni 05-10-2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluestarultor (Post 924576)

Buso Renkin is one about alchemy and magical weaponry. Before anyone goes screaming "FMA CLONE!" at the idea of alchemy in anime, I can tell you, it's handled completely differently, and makes a good go of it.

Busou Renkin is a nice little gem I stumbled upon about a year ago. I enjoyed it rather thoroughly, and the alchemy in Busou is nothing like the alchemy in FMA.

Oh, I should add both seasons of Shakugan no Shana to the list.

I've seen bits and pieces of Trigun, mainly the end, and never got around to watching all of it, so I believe I will do that.

Also, thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Jagos 05-10-2009 11:31 PM

I'm surprised no one likes One Piece.

Or maybe The Combat Butler... Yeah, weird tastes here...

Drownball-Champ 05-10-2009 11:41 PM

Combat Butler I can agree with. I only saw the first few episodes(and read first manga) but I enjoyed them. One Piece though, I really really dislike One Piece. I liked Luffy but he wasn't enough to save it for me.