The Warring States of NPF

The Warring States of NPF (http://www.nuklearforums.com/index.php)
-   Roleplaying (http://www.nuklearforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Roleplaying Questions/Queries. (http://www.nuklearforums.com/showthread.php?t=413)

RaiRai 11-25-2003 02:35 PM

Roleplaying Questions/Queries.

Yeah, that's right. You can ask questions about the rules and regulations, about various aspects of roleplay or anything else relating to roleplay.

Neverwhere 11-25-2003 02:38 PM

I got one for you! What exactly does T1 mean?

RaiRai 11-25-2003 02:42 PM

'Type 1' fighting/roleplay. There are various different roleplaying 'rules' posted about the internet varying on site, but T1 and T2 are the most common rules around often used by roleplayers in chat rooms rather than message boards, but it all works on the same principal.

Forum participation roleplays, such as the ones this forum is meant for, are always built up of T1 roleplay. In depth roleplaying. Whereas T2 is based on speed posting, which is kept to chat rooms only. Shiney and I will not tolerate T2 roleplaying within this board, just to make sure you all know.

I'll post up a link to T1 rules once my internet stops fucking around with me.

CelesJessa 12-02-2003 10:33 PM

I'm not new to roleplaying, but I'm a little new to the rules here, so I just have a few questions:

-One of the rules said something about not using a character that is or is like another character (such as Cloud, Sephiroth, etc); I understand that, but what if somebody wanted to make a RP sequel to a game or some kind of RP that mixes together such characters?

and

-The rules talked about short posts. How short would be 'short'. Sometimes posts tend to get short when you are just replying to another character and all you really need to write is your response to the character... which can be short sometimes.

Well I was just wondering. ^_^

Flarecobra 12-03-2003 01:54 PM

I beleve I can get those ones.

1: It has to say that in the RP intro.

2: Try to make it more then a line in length.

RaiRai 12-05-2003 04:12 AM

Good job, Flare. I knew the oldbies wouldn't fail me. ^^

1. If the thread is made up for that purpose, then it is fine. What isn't okay is if someone is making a roleplay with their own characters and then someone steps in with a pre-made character (which also isn't there own.) It just ruins the theme of the roleplay and limits the gaming.

2. It would be handy for it to be a few lines in length. Short posts really put me off of reading, and I'm sure it's the same for others. Not only this, but just replying with one line doesn't really add depth or character to the roleplay.

Asakura 12-07-2003 09:06 PM

Uh... yeah. SinceI just joined, anyone mind givin me a basic rundown on what the hell roleplaying is? Ive been to sites with fighting arenas where u customize a character and have at it with others. is it like that?

Flarecobra 12-07-2003 09:37 PM

www.avariel.net is a good place to see what Roleplaying is. It's a RP site created by our very own RaiRai and Shiney that has it's roots in an RP that started in these fourms, back over at TopWebComics.

(Hope you don't mind the plug.)

RaiRai 12-08-2003 04:26 AM

Thanks for posting the link, Flare.

Avariel spurned from a roleplay started at the old forums and was thankfully advertised by Brian at Nuklearpower. Most of our members are 8bit fans.

The basis of roleplay is descriptive narrative storytelling, only using a lot of people instead of just one. Each person takes a character and plays them through just as if they were that person.

Dante 12-08-2003 10:13 AM

There is a problem with a few threads recently... When it comes to combats, everyone's rushing to post, and oftimes the action moves so fast unwary posters can be taken unawares. This is compounded by the fact that real life tends to get in the way of posting, and that there can be over ten people involved in a battle, which only causes more headaches for the DM.

The question is, is there a practical solution to this problem apart from having multiple DMs?

MC43 12-08-2003 06:01 PM

I think I can get this one, seeing on how as my first RP was this exact problem. MAKE THEM STOP! There really isn't anything as a DM you can do but tell them to slow it down. I remember the good ol' days of "Hunters of the Damned" Whoo-wee did we have some fun times with that. There you go, that's my answer.

IHateMakingNames 12-08-2003 06:12 PM

MC, that doesn't work... The DM(Of Hunters) tried to stop it, and it didn't work...

Asakura 12-08-2003 06:13 PM

I thank you all, even though I feel like a newb now. :P o well

MC43 12-08-2003 07:18 PM

That's why I said that's the only thing you can do. It don't work... but it's the only thing...

RaiRai 12-10-2003 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante
There is a problem with a few threads recently... When it comes to combats, everyone's rushing to post, and oftimes the action moves so fast unwary posters can be taken unawares. This is compounded by the fact that real life tends to get in the way of posting, and that there can be over ten people involved in a battle, which only causes more headaches for the DM.

The question is, is there a practical solution to this problem apart from having multiple DMs?

Slow down.

If your players are too eager to post every two seconds, then maybe they need to learn a little restraint. Message board roleplaying involves time gaps, needed to make sure that all of the characters are at least aware of the events.

Flarecobra 12-10-2003 07:01 AM

That's one reasion I'm attempting to keep to a "60 posts and we make a new thread" thing. Marathon posting in the first thread of my RP happoned, and ended up hitting the limit extremely quickly, while I only had about 3 or 4 posts beforehand. Don't be afraid to put your foot down and say "Slow down, or I will have this thread locked."

Neverwhere 12-10-2003 04:01 PM

Rairai has already put a 100 posts/thread limit on it. I think so far we've kept to the rule. As for spamming of combat, if your a main combatant just dont post as much. Space out your replies and it will force the rest of the group to slow down also.

IHateMakingNames 12-10-2003 04:02 PM

You would think so... But they will more then likely ignore that your character has stopped, and finish off whatever they were doing, then replace your person.

BMHadoken 12-10-2003 06:10 PM

Can we have a sticky 'God-Mod-Free-Battle' place?

Flarecobra 12-11-2003 07:32 AM

I think that will be shut down rather quickly.

LilWhiteMage 12-11-2003 02:07 PM

I think maybe he was talking about a place where if they wanna come in for an' god mode for a bit they can, hopefully diverting them from doing it in an actual RP?

Of course, I could be wrong >_>;

BMHadoken 12-11-2003 03:27 PM

No, you pretty much got it, its just a place to blow off steam, no story, just random people jumping in and god-modding...

Mr. Viewtiful 12-11-2003 09:58 PM

I wonder how many "bullettimesupersaiyanhugekatanawieldingnukeusingm echandshotgunblowingupultrawinningstuff" people will show up to that...*mischievious grin*

Asakura 12-12-2003 05:17 PM

Right....
Anyhow, where do I go to make a character?

Mr. Viewtiful 12-12-2003 06:58 PM

Here's what I did for the roleplaying thread I go to:

I PMed the person that either started the thread or someone who visits a lot, and ask if you can join up, while submitting your profile. Usually, it doesn't hurt to ask for some filling-in on what's been going on, if it's been going for a long time. Then, post your profile in the thread, and politely PM someone to help you get your character in the story (or make your own entrance).

As long as you ask nicely, this should work just fine ;)

BMHadoken 12-12-2003 07:03 PM

Nah, as long as you follow the format (look at the first post) and the sign-up thread is the only thing with that title (i.e. Don't post in the sign up of "Cool Quest" when its three pages behind and "Cool Quest: Chapter 8" is at the top), then read the basic overview in the first post, copy and paste the format, then fill in the blanks.

Of course, the Casual Roleplayer's thread defies rules 1 and two, so do Viewtifuls thing there, but as long as your signed up before the actual RP starts, and your character fits, then your in like flint...and watch out for IHMN...

Dante 12-12-2003 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asakura
Right....
Anyhow, where do I go to make a character?

Everything they Mr. V and BMH said pretty much applies, though you may have to wait a while before the action can come to you, e.g. Tenjin in the Casual RP thread. He had to wait for almost 3 threads before we were even on the same planet (We *still* haven't had our characters meet yet... )

So don't be afraid to describe yourself and what your character does when there's no action. Also, in a modern world, cellphones/comlinks allow you to take part in the action even if you're not there/

Asakura 12-12-2003 10:32 PM

I have no clue why, but I feel like an idiot. lol Thanks anyhow to all of you who helped

RaiRai 12-14-2003 10:46 AM

This thread isn't meant for idle conversation. Remember that.

Flarecobra 12-23-2003 09:41 AM

Hey Rai, I've got a question for you. What's your take on people advertising MMORPGS in the RP forum?

RaiRai 12-31-2003 04:20 AM

Advertising is fine...in moderation. If too many posts occur advertising someone elses site I'll have no choice but to delete the post. As Mash had said in the rules section, this site isn't for free advertising.

dragonglove 01-01-2004 02:26 PM

I know I have a long signature but the link goes to another page on this forum. Is that all right?

RaiRai 01-04-2004 03:32 PM

Not a question about roleplaying, as such. Your sig is fine. Considering the size of some of the sigs back at the old 8bit EZboard, yours is very tame.

BMHadoken 01-12-2004 04:22 PM

Can we have a sticky thread to announce when a particular RP has actually finished story-wise?

It wouldn't be anything big, just the name of the RP, maybe who was in it and how long it went on for...and it would only be added to if an RP was finished...

RaiRai 01-12-2004 05:06 PM

The only problem I see with that is that it will be filled with useless spam that I have to filter out because people insist on disregarding the rules.

BMHadoken 01-12-2004 05:10 PM

You could make it so that only you could post in it, and the creator of the RP could send you what they want in it?

Raiden 01-12-2004 05:15 PM

I second that motion. It would be nice for people to have the RPs that had actually managed to finish (because God knows that not many do) to get some recognition. You know, get the name, the names of the characters, and MAYBE a small summary. Have it locked, and then unlock for only when YOU or another mod decided to put one in. That would handle any spam, and people would enjoy reading through their and getting ideas for other RPs.

Forever Zero 01-12-2004 05:25 PM

I...um... Third this opinion. I have seen the first RP since I've been RPing for about a year now, that has actually come to a succesful close, instead of one of the small army of dead RPs, and I feel that a little recognition for completing it, and giving the info behind the RP, doesn't seem like that hard to do.

Tor 01-13-2004 02:56 AM

It is a good idea, maybee there would be more people actualy trying to complete the RPs then... or maybe not

BMHadoken 01-13-2004 01:27 PM

I don;t think any of the tournaments should count though...seeing as they have no story and are only one thread long...

RaiRai 01-13-2004 02:18 PM

As much as I agree the idea is worthwhile, it still involves a lot of work on my behalf to have to update this thread with the relevant information every time a roleplay closes. Isn't it enough for the players to have fulfilled their roles and aknowledged the life of the roleplay? When all is said and done, it remains as a closed thread anyway, so people can look back if they want to read the roleplays of old.

Tor: As much as people may be more likely to speed up and finish their roleplays for this idea, it would increase the amount of small posts/spam to attain this. As it is, many of the roleplays currently taking place would have never been allowed in the old forum because of the lack of description and depth. Perhaps if I see a change in the roleplaying behavior, I'll consider this idea further. But at the moment, I'm choosing against it.

The Mirror Emperor 01-25-2004 10:51 PM

I'm new here so I need a quick rundown of the rules of roleplaying. It seems fun and I'd like to see what I can do.

RaiRai 01-26-2004 05:39 AM

Your best bet would be to read the rules/guidelines thread and take a look at some of the roleplays.

Smashlink 02-29-2004 01:12 AM

Well, this applies to roleplaying, so here goes- Does anyone know of a site or national chain of shops that has D&D books and/or materials for cheap?

StormRider 02-29-2004 01:20 PM

I've been into D&D for a few years now, but I'm somewhat new to online RPing. Is there a level-up/stat system similar to D&D or other tabletop RPGs, or is it more open-ended than that? Or does it simply depend on the person running the particular RP? I could really go either way, but is there a universal system everyone adheres to?

Rhuhael 02-29-2004 01:54 PM

To Smash: You can buy used books off of amazon.com they've got good prices on those and usually they're in good condition.

To Storm: One rule that's always present, No God-Modding. Besides that usually it's open ended but it all depends on the GM.

Bite the Wax Tadpole 02-29-2004 02:45 PM

I don't know where I read/saw it, but (Storm) the best way to think of RPing online is to forget anything that vaguely concerns actual RPGS (Console or tabletop or otherwise) and just think of it as writing a stroy from one point of view. That way you won't have to concern yourself with stats or hitpoints or anything like that, and instead just think of it in terms of *would my guy do this, would he like SoandSo's character* instead of *Well, I have thirteen Charisma, and I'm aligned to the dark yadda yadda*

So in closing, RPing online is writing a story, not playing a game.

StormRider 02-29-2004 04:00 PM

Ah, OK, that was what I thought. So, when you join an RP, you type a short blurb about your character, and then introduce him/her/it into the setting, right? That's my previous experience from this sort of thing (which I admit was not very extensive).

IHateMakingNames 02-29-2004 04:01 PM

No, you join sign ups. None are on now, so you would post in a discussion and ask first. If you just walk into the middle of an RP you will be ignored (And some people will flame you).

StormRider 02-29-2004 04:04 PM

Ah, OK. Then it's a good thing I asked first.

Smashlink 02-29-2004 06:32 PM

Yes. Also, be sure to paticipate as much as posible without dominating the thread.

Element_man 02-29-2004 06:51 PM

I'm not sure if you've had a lok at my Gods Under the Bleeding Sun, but I am personally taking the role as the main character who's gonna have to bind everything togther, and all that junk, and it's one of those 'He's the only one of his kinda, and thus has a few things that put him above others' and stuff, And I'm trying to nail down whether I'm being fair or not.

IHateMakingNames 02-29-2004 06:54 PM

People won't like that you just made your guy smarter/stronger and basically better then everyone else... And also, you're basically having it that your guy is the only important person, which will make other people not post as much sense everything revolves around him.

Element_man 02-29-2004 07:06 PM

I know, but that was the original storyline. I mean, he is the only one of his kind, so the more enemies he has, the less power he has. And he's certainly not the strongest guy. In fact, not that I htink abou tit, the only thing that is slightly unfair, is the fact that he is the main character. However, that really doesn't make him to different than others. I mena, it's possible for him to die, and the dragons never go bakc to ruling, and the war continues. If that happened, (And it very well could) Then I'd jsut create a new character,a nd try smeting else.

I dunno. You'd probalby have to read what we've got so far to understand it.

Biran 02-29-2004 08:06 PM

Just a little something before I add in my bit: Element man, why did you ask if your character was fair or not, and then when IHMN said that you should maybe tone it down a little, you said that it was completely fair? Isn't the whole point of posting here to ask questions and get answers, instead of argueing with the answers you get?

Anyways, I think it would be a lot easier if you changed the story around a bit. Personally I'd say something like, the royal blood was passed down generations to your character, and he was the first to stand up for the rights of other species. He'd be the only one to take the throne because he is the only one with the royal blood, and it could be him taking a band of various people to try and persuade the humans into peace, sneak in and take control of the kingdom somehow, or just go full-out war with humans.

Element_man 02-29-2004 08:32 PM

I understand what you mean. >.< I pretty much contradicted myself, which was pretyt stupid, but I guess there were things that I never really thought about until after I posted, but my main point was that the main character could, in fact be killed, and the dragon's side of the story woudl then just kinda fall apart, and then the humnans and everyone else would still be warring.

However, you're ideas for the storyline is pretty good. I personally had the whole: Sneaking through the humans, and finding the dragon city, then re-tkaing the throne, giving the dragons all their powers back, then all out war, ya'know. So that's good. (Though I still like the idea of him not knowing about his heritage until... well, something. X_x)

Sam the Samurai 03-07-2004 11:31 AM

Hey, I heard from a friend about D&D prestige classes like Back Mage :bmage: , Red Mage :rmage:, etc., and I cant find them. Does anybody know where I can find them? If you do, please mail the link to the exact place to klugein@aol.com, or justy post it here on this board, and Ill read it eventually.
Thank you,

Endovior 03-11-2004 12:44 AM

They'd be in Sosa's column, 'Twinking Out with Red Mage'.

And, since I'm a benevolent random information giver, here's the links...

Fighter @ http://www.nuklearpower.com/redmage19.php
Black Mage @ http://www.nuklearpower.com/redmage20.php
Red Mage @ http://www.nuklearpower.com/redmage22.php

(Technically, the template is @ http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rs/20030402a , but that's Mystic Theurge, which Sosa adapted to Red Mage because he was too lazy to do so from scratch. :) )

Aerozord 03-19-2004 11:00 AM

I am still waiting for a Thief one

BlackMageLordofHell 03-23-2004 01:33 PM

Okay, might as well ask here... ahem.

I can't figure out what RP I should join. I know what character I want to use, but he wouldn't fit in anywhere, and everything already seems too far in motion to mess with. Any advice?

Flarecobra 03-23-2004 01:40 PM

Make up your own RP. If you want, don't be afraid to ask around for advice on how a good RP is made.

BlackMageLordofHell 03-23-2004 03:34 PM

Yeah, that's a good plan.

It just so happens that there is a serious lack of Inn RP threads here. Every RP forum or subforum needs an inn to hang out at and to spawn subquests.

Tor 03-23-2004 03:50 PM

We had one it was called cassual RP. It evolved into a full fledged Sci-Fi Rp with intruiges and a evil empire

Rhuhael 03-23-2004 04:07 PM

The biggest thing is the right title. I was really into the casual RP it's just the fact that we're on opposite sides of the globe kinda hindered it a little.

For beginners you really want to start a casual RP with a good name. Just include Casual RP in the title and you should get a nice group. Not too big but decent sized and usually pretty leinient to the noobs. These are actually my favorite when they get going because it's not all up to the GM and can be taken in multiple directions.

Just set up a scene and an implied time period/ level of magic/ etc. Like Science fiction, Feudal Japan, WWII, etc.

Please do something soon. I'm starving for a casual. It's all so formal around here. I mean it's good for a while but occasionally you just need a break.

Tor 03-23-2004 04:09 PM

I was talking about the original cassual Rp check out some of the oldest threads

Biran 03-23-2004 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackMageLordofHell
Okay, might as well ask here... ahem.

I can't figure out what RP I should join. I know what character I want to use, but he wouldn't fit in anywhere, and everything already seems too far in motion to mess with. Any advice?

Might as well put in my two bits.

First of all, you don't make just one character and then go looking for RPs you want to join. You look at sign-up threads, and all of those should have either 'sign-up' or something like 'how about this' in the title of the thread. You look at it if you're interested, and then the GM should have a bunch of information about the RP, including what it's about, and what kind of information you should have about your character.
The GMs will tell you if there's magic, different races, different equipment, and if it isn't anywhere in any posts and it's not obvious enough that you could guess if it was in it or not, then just ask.

Second, you say everything is 'too far in motion to mess with'. Chances are that you're looking at an RP that's already started. Most times, if you didn't sign up for the RP before it started, it's just better to leave that RP alone. Unless you really, just have to join, most RPs have a Discussion thread. Questions or anything like that are posted there. Just post saying something like, "This looks really interesting. Is it ok if I join?" Or if you are too nervous for that, (I don't see why anyone would, it's just an online forum) PM the GM (...) and ask if you can join. They may or may not let you in, but if they do, be ready with a character idea in mind, and post it so the GM can say if anything's wrong with that.
If you do start in the middle of an RP, have some way that your character can join the main group, but not so suddenly as, "Hi! I see that you guys are a wandering gang! May I join you?"

There, that about sums all I wanted to say. If you still have questions, just post here again about what you need help with, or PM one of the RPers already here.

IHateMakingNames 03-23-2004 08:35 PM

Other notes.

1) Use correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling. If you don't, people will hate you.

2) Be smart. No one likes stupid people.

Hamster of Doom 03-26-2004 01:38 PM

Okay. I've read this entire thing, and what with all these sign-ups and all, I was thinking that wouldn't it make just a smidge of sense to make a sticky where you post your main character so you can just link its bio into the sign-up thread when you...sign up? Yeah. Forgive me if I sound new. ^^'

EDIT: So this place is different than other places I've been to. Got it. Okay.

Sorry, I had a Fighter moment :fighter:

BMHadoken 03-26-2004 01:48 PM

Well, newbie, thats because we all don't use the same character for all the RPs we have. Would it make sense to have a gun toting marine in a fantasy setting? Heavens to betsy no. And a mage in WW2? Good golly no.

Every RP has a sign up (usually), and these signups are there because the RPs vary wildly. We have about ten Vampire RPs, a boat load of Fantasies, and a 'smidgen' of Modern ones. If you used the same character for every different one, you'd be a moron.

We're not playing twenty ongoing games (or round or campaigns or what not) of D+D here *thank jeebus*. SO just read the sign up, if the story + setting appease to you, then sign up with a character that pertains to those ramifications.

Necro_Slayer 04-18-2004 09:54 PM

Hello,to anyone that owns Monster Manual II, I'm wonder what the statistics for Needlefolk are. So if you would be so kind and post them?

Royalspork 04-22-2004 09:58 PM

Sorry ive got a few questions of my own.
what are some good character personality building tips?
In my first rp my character's strenths will not do any good (the game isn't begun yet) for the game, but I have begun to like the idea of a disfunctional character, (my character is a army straigest but the guy who made it says there will not full head on battles) so am I stupid and I should dump him or is this a good way to play?
what if the creator is out of touch to make stat sheets for each character, which will take a while, how would he cotact us?

Elminster_Amaur 04-22-2004 10:01 PM

Big question for the Admins.: Who should we talk to about getting a permanent Open RPG server for Nuklear Power Forums, and if it's possible can someone sticky the location where you download it on this forum? If that is at all possible, of course.

Mage#27 04-23-2004 06:32 AM

High: This is the wrong place to post that sort of question.

However: what you are trying to do in Jads Elizabeathan RP is not "playing a dysfunctional charecter". It's playing a charecter who's skills have nothing whatsoever to do with the RP. You are a military figure and not a noble. The RP will take place in and around the court of the queen. Your charecter has no reason to be there for an extended period of time and nothing to do if he were. Thus I would suggest changing your charecters focus if you intend to be in the RP.

You can keep the military bent if you like but maybe make him a high ranking general (or equivelent rank) who spends more time at court than in the field. You could ask if a "supreme comander" type position is still open.

However I'm not sure if this RP is the best place for you to start. It's not going to be combat based or simple. It's looking to be a complex game with charecter development and subtlety and as you said you're new at this. You might be better off starting out with somthing a bit more straightforward.

Necro_Slayer 04-24-2004 10:24 PM

Ummmmm, Needlefolk? Stats?
Please?

AndyBloodredMage 04-24-2004 11:05 PM

As Mage said, this is NOT the place, in any way, shape, and/or form for you to be posting a request such as this. If you really need it, start a new thread, but don't post it here, for it is known as spamming. Read the RULES

BMHadoken 04-24-2004 11:45 PM

I think I have the stats lying around...oh yeah...

Name: Needlefolk
Who gives a crap: No one important
If you really feel a burning need to get useless D+D facts: Go to Google like the rest of the world, not spam in these forums.

The MAJINMARINE 04-30-2004 04:31 PM

hi i just became a member, and although i have experince rpging, im not quite sure how to enter one here. should i contact the creators of the specific rpg, before writing or should i just jump in and post?

Sir Minimus of Lakshmi 04-30-2004 10:33 PM

A few friends and I were trying to decide if we should start a table top RPG of our own, but we live in a small town and have no access to any stores besides a crappy Wal-Mart. Is it worth the effort to get into RPG's? And if so, is there an internet site that is a good place to look for one?

GatoFiero 05-05-2004 01:09 AM

*wanders into the RP section of the forum*

Well, it's been awhile since Iíve been here and even longer since I participated in an RP. Any good RPs recruiting right now? From what i see they're all full up.

Dante 05-06-2004 01:18 AM

Forever Zero's WoD RP might be looking for new blood.