View Single Post
Unread 09-19-2015, 08:39 PM   #2
phil_
Just sleeping

phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops.
Send a message via AIM to phil_ Send a message via Skype™ to phil_

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinStarwing View Post
What is it's current state in how it and it's fans are perceived by those outside of it.
I wouldn't know, not being on the outside and not having any perception of those outside. Nerdy hobbies have become so connected to mainstream culture that there's really not a dividing line anymore. I say this pretending that mainstream culture even exists anymore in this world of infinite on-demand entertainment choices on the TV and internuggets. I'm not sure if the previous zeitgeist of culture being the stuff on TV was a better culture, but it probably wasn't. I didn't participate in that culture much either, so again, I don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinStarwing View Post
My take as an Anime fan is this...there has been a slow march towards blandness/sameness in Anime. Way too many Harems and the studios seemingly trying to one-up each other with their offerings in some way shape or form.
Then don't watch stupid crap you won't enjoy. More anime is being made now than ever before. Even if I cut out not just "I won't like this" but also "I might not like this," I still end up with more than a dozen new shows every three months, plus watching old stuff. To take what is probably a cliched example, let's cut out every show in the Fall season set in high school, because who wants to watch yet another high school show, amirite? (I still watch high school shows if I think I'll enjoy them; Euphonium was great). Out of fifty new series, FIFTY, actually half of them have even a slight connection to any school (counting magic and middle schools as well). That's still twenty-five series that escape that filter. So even the most arbitrary filter still leaves more to watch every four months than Japan used to get in a year and America used to get in half a decade. And you can (almost) get it all for free, legally if you're so inclined.

So, to sum up, the anime's pretty good right now if we can be annoyed about getting GuP skins on one platform and not another. Looking forward to the movie. I am a hermit who cannot speak for the social consequences of watching anime while being a member of society.