Thread: Games in 2018
View Single Post
Unread 01-18-2019, 11:18 PM   #2
mauve
So Dreamy

mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare.

Haven't done this in a few years (I think??) so... Sure, why not!

Wuppo
A weird, charming little RPGish thingie that reminds me a bit of Paper Mario. Purchased on a whim in the last Steam Sale after having it recommended to me by one of the people in my D&D group. It's not something I find myself strongly drawn to play, but when I do pick it up I enjoy it. That said, it hasn't held my interest long enough to really get very far in it, but maybe I'll get back to it once I've burned through some of my other games.

Just Shapes and Beats
Another recentish Steam Sale buy. Fantastic music and a fun premise, plus a really charming story mode. Most of the levels I've played so far are a decent challenge level, but there's one or two that I've found frustratingly difficult, meaning I'm currently stuck in the story mode on Cool Friends and haven't been able to progress. Oh well, eventually I'll get back into it.

Middle Earth: Shadow of War
Oh dang, this stupid game is fun. Yeah, it's nonsensical and it makes Celebrimbor super unlikable, but the gameplay is great and it's a ton of fun just wandering around and seeing what the AI throws at you. I'm pretty sure I'm near the end of the actual story at this point, but I don't want to finish what will likely be a depressing ending, so I'm just chasing down orc captains and causing trouble and I'm still enjoying it immensely.

My computer is like 5 or 6 years old and as a result the game runs like garbage, but despite the lag it's still a ton of fun. The Nemesis System is great, and I really appreciate that there are so many different personalities and behaviors for the many, many random uruk captains. They all stand out as individual characters despite having the same 3 voice actors.

Divinity: Original Sin
I really wanted to like this game, but I just can't get into it. Maybe it's just me, but I find it alternating between confusing, frustrating and boring. There's a TON of options for everything from transportation to interacting with objects to quests, but there's often little information presented about those options, or it's explained once and then buried somewhere in some inexplicable place in the menus.

Pillars of Eternity
I prefer this one to Divinity. I've owned it for just a month and I already have twice as many hours logged than Divinity, which I bought in the Summer Sale. PoE has less confusing gameplay, more interesting characters, a better realized world, and somehow just appeals more to me. Amusingly, several main characters are voiced by the same actor, so you can hear Snobby British Matt Mercer arguing with Charmin' Southern Gentleman Matt Mercer and Feisty Scottish Matt Mercer. Honestly though he's such a good voice actor I wouldn't have known they're all voiced by the same person if I didn't watch Critical Role. As a sidenote, many of the other CR team provide NPC voices as well.

I also like all of the notes from Kickstarter backers littered on tombstones throughout the game.

Dishonored 2
I'm on the fence with this one. It's fun, and the Clockwork Manor level is fantastic, but I often felt like this one lacked the substance and plot of the first one. The original game felt like you were uncovering a conspiracy one thread a time, whereas 2 just seems like the NPC Team did all the detective work and you're just here to stab/subdue whoever they tell you to. Plus it's a little disappointing that the most interesting enemy in the game, the inventor Kirin Jindosh, ends very anticlimactically no matter how you choose to deal with him. There's no option to converse with him or do anything other than "kill or permanently maim and remove from the storyline forever."

Plus the fact that my computer is old means the lag and loading times were BRUTAL. Still haven't finished it, as a result.

Jackbox Party Packs 2 & 3
Bought these to play with family during Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. They really enjoyed them.

I think that's it for new games in 2018. There's a lot of RPGs, and I don't think I've finished ANY of these games yet. Jackbox packs don't count.

Last edited by mauve; 01-18-2019 at 11:21 PM.
mauve is offline Add to mauve's Reputation   Reply With Quote