Nuklear Power Forums  

Go Back   Nuklear Power Forums > Social > Playing Games
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #71
MSperoni
Artist and Writer of Comics

MSperoni hacked the Gibson. MSperoni hacked the Gibson. MSperoni hacked the Gibson. MSperoni hacked the Gibson. MSperoni hacked the Gibson. MSperoni hacked the Gibson. MSperoni hacked the Gibson.
How I Killed Your Master

Okay so, I have had Super Street Fighter 4 for awhile, but I've only played it on and off (mostly online and the trial modes) and I actually haven't cleared Arcade mode with ANYONE (the fact that I only play Arcade mode on "Hardest" has a lot to do with this). I've started playing it more lately and so I have been paying closer attention to the mechanics of it.

The point of this post is: I noticed that you do less damage the more you hit with combos. Like, I can do an 11 hit* Combo with Sakura, and I can make it 12-13 hits** if I want, but it does less damage, so WHY would I do that? Is there a point outside of just showing off?

*Cross-over MK, Standing MP, EX-SpinnyKick, WP Shouken juggle, Ultra hadoken

**Same thing as above just with a couple more attacks added
http://twitter.com/#!/mSperoni
Check out my Deviant Art page if you'd like to see other pictures I've made!
http://exmile.deviantart.com/
Follow The Dreadful on Facebook!

MSperoni is online now Add to MSperoni's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #72
Kim
little

Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat].

So you're saying there's damage drop-off the longer a combo gets?

The point would still be to keep your opponent from attacking. As long as they're being combo'd, they aren't hitting you.
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #73
MSperoni
Artist and Writer of Comics

MSperoni hacked the Gibson. MSperoni hacked the Gibson. MSperoni hacked the Gibson. MSperoni hacked the Gibson. MSperoni hacked the Gibson. MSperoni hacked the Gibson. MSperoni hacked the Gibson.

Quote:
So you're saying there's damage drop-off the longer a combo gets?.
Yeah.

Well, like, I figure doing more damage = better. The quicker you end the round the better.

Like if a 3 hit combo hits for 250 and a 4 hit combo hits for 200, and they have 1000HP you'd only have to hit them four times with the former and 5 times with the latter. Not only that but the 3 hitter might be easier to do more consistently and come out faster.

That "one extra time" might be enough time for them to swing the fight in their favor and take you down. I always prefer ending things as soon as I can.

Extra hits in SSF4 do build your Super bar, so maybe that's the reason for them.
http://twitter.com/#!/mSperoni
Check out my Deviant Art page if you'd like to see other pictures I've made!
http://exmile.deviantart.com/
Follow The Dreadful on Facebook!

Last edited by MSperoni; 04-16-2012 at 08:48 PM.
MSperoni is online now Add to MSperoni's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #74
POS Industries
Argus Agony

POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them.
Send a message via AIM to POS Industries

Yeah, damage scaling is one of those things that's necessary to balance out long combos like that, so that you're not able to just complete destroy your opponent in only one or two combos. It's still safer to drag a combo as long as you possibly can in order to get the most damage out of it rather than to drop a combo after the damage stops being "worth it" and thereby giving the opponent the opportunity to regroup. It also forces you to be more judicious with things like supers and ultras, since you don't want to use them too late into a combo when they'd do fuck all for damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSperoni View Post
Extra hits in SSF4 do build your Super bar, so maybe that's the reason for them.
Yeah, that too.
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #75
Ryong
Professional Threadkiller

Ryong bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. Ryong bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. Ryong bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. Ryong bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. Ryong bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. Ryong bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted.
Send a message via Skype™ to Ryong

BlazBlue annoys me greatly on that regard.

Litchi has 236A236B236C as a combo that does ~1.6k damage.

ABC is also a combo, that does ~1k damage.

ABC236A236B236C does nearly 2.1k.

Ragna also ends up dealing less damage if you stick certain attacks to the end of your combos - specially the ones that steal HP - so it tends to be better to just do them separate.

I guess that's why I ended up using the characters that don't rely much on combos or have very short combos.
Ryong is offline Add to Ryong's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 01:29 AM   #76
POS Industries
Argus Agony

POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them.

I can't help but find a certain sense of irony that the custom assist feature in Skullgirls keeps inexplicably interpreting my SRK motions as Cerebella's QCF grab, but then whenever I try to do her QCF grab in a match the game decides I'm trying to do her SRK.

Also, near as I can tell, this game seems to be best played as 2v2. A single character team loses so many options and a 3-character team almost feels like it has too much to deal with. Plus, with the damage and health scaling, a 3v3 match seems to take about as long as 3 1v1 matches, making time outs more common.

That said, taking 3 characters in against Marie and beating her by time out was amusing.
Unread 04-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #77
Kim
little

Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Kim is [censored for Unusual use of a goat].

Does she have a special lose animation for being beaten by time out?
Unread 04-17-2012, 01:44 AM   #78
POS Industries
Argus Agony

Not that I could tell, no.

It's just always a bit surreal when a nigh-unstoppable monstrous force of evil just up and explodes because a minute and a half went by.
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #79
Gregness
Never give up. Never give in.

Gregness is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Gregness is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Gregness is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Gregness is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Gregness is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Gregness is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Gregness is like Reed Richards, but prettier.
Default This might be more appropriate for the Funny Picture thread, but it's pretty niche.

What would happen if Kirby had it out with the Soul Calibur cast?
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
- Robert Heinlein
Gregness is offline Add to Gregness's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #80
Kim
little

Checking to see how quickly I adapt to playing fighting games on the PS3.

If you wanna add me, my PSN username is NonContra4.