The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Games & Roleplaying > Roleplaying
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 01-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
Toastburner B
Toasty has left the building

Toastburner B is a name known to all, except that guy. Toastburner B is a name known to all, except that guy.
Send a message via AIM to Toastburner B Send a message via MSN to Toastburner B
Default Agents of Death Chapter 1: Unfinished Business

If you're gonna die, die with your boots on,
If you're gonna try, well stick around,
Gonna cry, just move along,
If you're gonna die, you're gonna die.

Iron Maiden - Die With Your Boots On

---------------------------------------------------------
“You should really stop doing that,” a voice with a French accent said.

Karen Dobson didn’t even turn around to see Jean Delacroix standing behind her. “Why not, it’s not against the rules, is it?” she asked.

Delacroix walked up behind her. “No, it isn’t, but it can’t be too good for your state of mind.”

Karen didn’t say anything, just nodded. Jean was her “trainer”, her shadow. He was supposed to make sure she could live up to the standards Death placed on his agents. He was alright, for a aristocratic jerk from the 1700s. He had every right to be worried about his charge. Every free moment she had been spent here…on a building overlooking the day-care where her daughter spent the day while her widower husband worked to keep food on the table.

“After all, it is not like you could go in there and tell them to take better care of your daughter, if it came down to it, no?” Delacroix added.

Karen snorted. “You do have a point there, I suppose.” Karen turned around, and looked at the taller man. “Did you ever check in on your family?”

Jean gave a dismissive shrug. “The only family I had was my wife…and as it turned out, she was the one who arranged to have the revolutionaries arrest me. Of course, I only found this out when the boss killed off the people who arranged my execution, as per my deal.”

Karen suppressed a sigh. It wasn’t the first time Jacque had regaled her with that particular story. “I suppose you didn’t come all this way just to chide me about keeping an eye on my daughter?”

“Indeed not. The boss has another job for us.”

Karen raised an eyebrow. “Undead or Immortal?”

“Immortal,” Jacque answered. “Very immortal. This one has been a pet project of the boss for quite for about a century. The boss is gathering a group of Agents to take this guy down, including us, so we better get going.”

Karen cast one last look back down at the daycare, and followed Jacque towards the nearest shadow. “Where are we going?” she asked.

“St. Petersburg.”

Karen scoffed. “Did Death arrange a plane for us or something?”

“We have the Veil,” Jacque said, entering the shadows, “We don’t need any flying machine.”

Jacque disappeared from the world. Karen wasn’t experienced enough to enter the Veil quite so easily. She concentrated for a few seconds, and followed Jacque in. The colors of the world faded, like washed-out watercolors. Light and shadow separated themselves even further, removing “soft shadows” and “dim light”. Jacque was waiting for her.

“Don’t look so worried,” Jacque said. “Traveling to Russia is as easy as it was for you to travel here from where we were.”

“Only with the minor inclusion of an ocean,” Karen said dryly.

Jacque said nothing, only looked around for a bit. Then, he decided on a direction. Karen did the same, until some instinct she never had while she was alive. “That way?” she asked.

Jacque nodded, “That way.”

Karen took in a deep breath, and let it go. “Alright, let’s get this over with.”

Jacque nodded. “Try to keep up, if you would.”

Jacque took a step off the edge of the building, and darted off into the air.

Karen sighed again. “Man, I wish there was a way to do this outside the Veil.”

She then jumped off the edge of the building herself, and followed her mentor into the wild grayish-blue wander.

((OOC: Surprise! You can fly in the Veil…AND ONLY IN THE VEIL! Really, I couldn’t think of a better way for Agents to be able to get around, and just makes your advantage in the Veil that much more decisive.

Again, fly in Veil: yes. Fly outside of Veil: no. Very no.))

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It had taken them some hours to fly to their destination inside the Veil, which meant that, outside the Veil, it had taken mere minutes. Karen landed next to Jacque on the rooftop of an old church, and followed him inside. Inside, standing in the loft, was a man with a black suit…and utterly average man.

Karen caught her breath as she recognized him.

“Jacque, Karen,” Death said in greeting.
“Bonjour, boss,” Jacque said. The Frenchman had had centuries to get used to the presence of Death. “Come to make sure we get our man.”

“Indeed I have,” Death said, not looking up from his point of view. “Grigori Yefimovich Rasputin has evaded me quite long enough, and I am tried of losing reapers and agents to him.”

Death looked up at the pair. “I summoned a few others for this hunt. I am here to observe, not to interfere. Wait for the other agents to arrive, and proceed as you see fit.”

Jacque shrugged, and sat down, resting against a pillar. There was nothing to do now but to wait for the others to arrive.

((OOC: Ah, the much hated “role call”. Don’t you just hate it when GMs do that?))

I came, I saw, I got team-killed. A lot.
Toastburner B is offline Add to Toastburner B's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 02:28 AM   #2
rapter200
oi

rapter200 is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

Oroles was already in the fade when he got the message about a new mission from the boss. He knew exactly what to do, he had over two thousand years of experience. Time ticked by slowly while he waited, and then all at once he started to fly toward his destination. Death wasn't someone who you would want to tick off, even if he has the patience of a saint. How ironic, yet so fitting.

The trip took a little over an hour, and when he arrived he saw that the others had already started to gather. Oroles recognized death immediately, but the other two he didn't know very well. Delacroix he knew slightly, he has been with death for over two centuries and Oroles saw him here and there every once in a while. But the woman he did not know at all. Must be new.

“Hello boss, I see that your gathering an army. I know Sir Delacroix, but his young female companion... well I have never seen her before in my entire service.” Oroles then walked up to Karen and extend his right hand in greeting. “The name is Oroles son of Moskon, I am glad to make your acquaintance . I am going to assume you are new to the job, so I welcome you to the fold.” “So boss who else do you have coming, and why do you need so many of us to take out one immortal.” Oroles asked death.
rapter200 is offline Add to rapter200's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Bard The 5th LW
Feelin' Super!

Bard The 5th LW can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Bard The 5th LW can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Bard The 5th LW can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Bard The 5th LW can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Bard The 5th LW can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Bard The 5th LW can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Bard The 5th LW can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

'Ah look at 'at, I ain't late' Maxwell thought to himself as he made it to the church. He had never been to Russia before, but it seemed that he had made it in time. He was always taught to be punctual, so being late was not something he wanted. There was also the matter that Death itself was the one who was the one who was waiting for him.

Maxwell made his way into the church to meet with the others. It was an odd sight, seeing a man walk into a church with a bow,rifle, and a quiver adorned across his back. He also seemed used to carrying them, as he didn't falter as he made his way to the loft

When he made it to where the others were, Maxwell took a moment to make a brief bow towards death. It was hard to tell whether or not he was actually being reverent about it though. He then turned to the other agents in the room with him, "'ello, my name's Maxwell," he told them, his manner of speaking was odd, he spoke with a rather southern accent, but it seemed he was trying to speak like a New Englander, or at least what he interpreted a New Englander to sound like. He then decided to introduce himself further, as he felt he would be working with these people awhile, "but you can call me May I suppose,"he told to them. He then turned to their employer, but he remained silent. He figured that Death wasn't the kind of man to skimp on details, so questions wouldn't be needed.

Last edited by Bard The 5th LW; 01-09-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Bard The 5th LW is offline Add to Bard The 5th LW's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
Fantabulate
Troopa

Fantabulate is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

Silence. The vast silence of the sky in the viel; That's all there was.

It was very calming for Richard Lendandi after his last job. It had been a chaotic affair regarding a coven of vampires in southern France, and he knew of no better way to reover than to enjoy the silent sky here...

He had always enjoyed silence, ever since he made his deal. After all, his life had been filled with the noise of the battles throughout the empire, and it had never meant anything good; but now...

Of course, he knew it was to be short lived. It always was. He had even eventually identified a pattern of how long he got off... down to an hour. Almost always. So when the message came 2 hours early, he knew something big was happening.

He was in flying over greece at the moment, so it took him a few uneventful hours to get North to St. Petersburg. He didn't like Russia... never had. However, there was nothing to it but to be where it was appointed.

Rich arrived at the location soon enough, and found 5 people assembled. Surprisingly, the boss himself had shown up. "Interesting." he mumbled. One of the others he'd never seen in his... well, he couldn't call it life. One was Sir Delacroix, the aristocratic man whom Rich had always seemed slightly at odds with these last 150 years. "Darn Aristocrat," he thought. Another was Oroles, son of Moskon, who had just met young woman whom Rich had never met. There too was a man with a hunting vest as his jacket. As Oroles then asked death a question, Rich waited. It was a good question, and in his experience, it'd probably be better not to interupt the Beserker...

Last edited by Fantabulate; 01-09-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Fantabulate is offline Add to Fantabulate's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Astral Harmony
Don't Hate Me 'Cause I'm Moe

Astral Harmony will become famous soon enough. Eventually. Maybe.

"Padre nostro che sei nei cieli
sia santificato il tuo nome
venga il tuo regno
sia fatta la tua volontà
come in cielo così in terra.
Dacci oggi il nostro pane quotidiano
Rimetti a noi i nostri debiti
Come noi li rimettiamo ai nostri debitori.
E non ci indurre in tentazione
Ma liberaci dal male.
Amen."

Crocetta stood up after praying before the graves of her parents and brother and slipped into the Veil. She usually waited for her friend, a priest who frequented the graveyard, to talk about this and that, but today there was a more pressing issue.
Inside the Veil, Crocetta took to the sky. Her mother's soul had been aimlessly wandering around here for about a week long ago, but it had been collected. Maybe, Crocetta hoped, her family was all together, eating and talking and laughing and just waiting for the day when Crocetta would eventually join them.

She arrived at the church in St. Petersburg and found the space where the others were gathered, then exited the Veil from the shadows. "Hey everyone, good morning or...wait, what timezone is this?" Crocetta falted, looking around. "Anyways, I'm so excited! I've never hunted an Immortal before."
For a dead person, Crocetta sure had a lot of energy.
Astral Harmony is offline Add to Astral Harmony's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
Red Mage Black
Sent to the cornfield

Red Mage Black is a splendid one to behold, except in the mornings. Red Mage Black is a splendid one to behold, except in the mornings. Red Mage Black is a splendid one to behold, except in the mornings.
Send a message via AIM to Red Mage Black Send a message via MSN to Red Mage Black Send a message via Skype™ to Red Mage Black

Frederick, always preferring himself to be fashionably late when the time came to arrive. He was often busier with his antique weapons, polishing and cleaning them constantly to keep them in shape. 'Married to his hobby', they told him, which he just scoffed at. 'Weapons enthusiast' was a more preferred title for his trade. The Veil often offered silence and alone time to baby his weapons. Though this time, they had a job to do.

In Russia it was, a place with a rich and often violent history. The target was a man with a pretty risque history. It was no wonder how he had survived so many attempts to be murdered, he was an Immortal now. Frederick didn't mind the job, in fact he always wanted to meet the man people had so desperately wanted dead.

It wasn't long until his arrival at the church, still a little late as usual. "To those of you I do not know, Frederick Dubois at your service." He said with a curt bow. "This job is very interesting indeed. Grigori Rasputin, the 'Mad Monk' they called him. At least that was one of his titles." He said, stepping towards the group. Frederick gave a respectful bow to Death and stood there, hands behind his back. "Are we missing anyone or is the team assembled?"

Last edited by Red Mage Black; 01-09-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Red Mage Black is offline Add to Red Mage Black's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk
War Incarnate

The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk's Avatar

The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier. The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier. The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier. The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier. The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier. The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier. The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier.
Send a message via MSN to The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk

Outside the church, in the shadow of a great oak tree, a man appeared, seemingly from nowhere. Stealthily he made his way up the steps towards the church, then immediately lost all sense of solemness when he opened his mouth.

"Yikes it's cold!! Bloody Russia, I hate Russia!" He let out a long sigh of freezing breath, checked that nobody had seen a man with a machinegun walking into a church, then quickly slipped inside. Just as quickly he wished he hadn't; it was even colder in here, the ancient stone walls seemingly amplifying the complete lack of heat.

"You sure do know how to pick a meeting spot Death." He heard voices above him and he began to make his way upstairs, entering the room just in time to hear someone ask, "are we missing anyone or is the team assembled?"

"Ah now, you wouldn't want to start without me would you?" He asked jokingly. He scanned the assembled group, recognising a few faces here and there, some he hadn't seen before, others not for some time.

"Hey Jacque, long time no see. Last time I saw you was... what, Venice 92? That sure was one hell of a day! Good times." He gave another smile as he reminisced, before suddenly noticing a figure he should have seen straight away, if it weren't for the fact of how forgettable he was.

"Oh hey boss, didn't see you there. I cleaned out that African village of zombies you wanted, but er, next time you say there's a dozen Undeads that need deading, might wanna mention the other eighty or so that were also running around. Well they weren't really running, they were zombies, so they were more kind of shambling, but yeah, things got hectic." He said all of this very fast, like he was still amped up on the adrenaline of what was apparantly quite an interesting day for him. He also didn't bat a eyelid at telling Death how to do his job.

Most people would usually back down or be intimidated or scared by meetings with Death, but after the first couple of decades Mark had gotten used to him and had started to become quite cocky in his dealings. The way he figured it, he was already dead, there was nothing more that Death could do to him, so there was no need to be afraid or even formal with him. What Death felt about this cocky attitude of one of his underlings was anyones guess.

"So anyway," Mark continued speedily changing the subject, "why on earth are we in the freezing colds of Russia Bossman? Don't tell me it's more zombies!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azisien View Post
"ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAR I AM A GIANT SPACE TURTLE!!!"
PSN - Hawk_of_Battle

Last edited by The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk; 01-09-2010 at 05:35 PM.
The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is offline Add to The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
Dauntasa
Goddamn Commie

Dauntasa is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

Andrew came flying into the church, very much ruffled. "Christ," he said, "Sorry I'm late. Hello, everyone." He straightened his coat, and looked around the room. "I guess I lost track of time." He leaned against the wall, and began checking over his rifle. "Well," he said, "Keep going."
Dauntasa is offline Add to Dauntasa's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
Astral Harmony
Don't Hate Me 'Cause I'm Moe

Astral Harmony will become famous soon enough. Eventually. Maybe.

"Oh, right. Introductions." said Crocetta, scratching the back of her head. "Kind of rude of me to forget about that. Well, my name is Crocetta Russo, a Sicilian girl from the mid-1900's and I got killed in a mafia crossfire over some missing heroin. I guess those substances have the ability to get people killed who aren't even involved in them. But what can you do, eh? Although my mom was completely heartbroken about it."

After her introduction which lacked any kind of bitterness about her own untimely demise, Crocetta followed Delacroix's example and found a place to relax against a wall, sitting down and letting her head hang. Given time, she was likely to start dozing.
Astral Harmony is offline Add to Astral Harmony's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 03:21 AM   #10
Arcanum
Strike the Earth!

Arcanum would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Arcanum would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Arcanum would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Arcanum would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Arcanum would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Arcanum would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Arcanum would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Arcanum would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Arcanum would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was.

Izuko sped along a desolate road, flying only a few feet from the ground. Sure he could fly higher and not have to worry about buildings or other objects, but despite nearly 200 years of service he still found flying odd, of all things considering his job. Still, Izuko enjoyed his job, and found it similar to the samurai life he had always envisioned but never lived. Taking orders from a respectable master instead of some crook with the right amount of money probably had something to do with it.

Izuko noticed the church rapidly approaching and he dropped to the ground and skid to a stop. He took a few moments to make sure he was presentable, found a suitable spot to exit the Veil, then entered the building and went upstairs to the loft. He was a little startled to see so many Agents already gathered, very rarely were so many needed for a single task. Still, Izuko was sure Death had his reasons, and upon forming that thought he noticed Death himself standing at the other end of the loft. Izuko reached up and shifted his samurai mask so that it rested on top of his head, something he only did while in the presence of Death as a sign of respect.

Izuko noticed the others making introductions and decided he might as well do likewise for the sake of those who had never met him before.

"I'm Jinuske Izuko," he said, his voice containing only the slightest hint of a Japanese accent. Two hundred years of speaking English had a tendency to do that. "Izuko is my first name, by the way, for those unfamiliar with Japanese custom. Am I the last one to arrive or is this mission even more dangerous than I first anticipated?"

Izuko silently hoped he was the last one. If they really needed any more agents then this was going to get real messy.

Last edited by Arcanum; 01-10-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Arcanum is offline Add to Arcanum's Reputation   Reply With Quote