The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Dead threads
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 04-22-2004, 09:46 PM   #1
Cyclone231

Default Violent Video Games...again

Alright, I know the horse has been beaten to death with a mace, and pretty much everyone on these forums agree that violent video games are not the cause of social malajustment or outbursts of violence. I just want to quote a comment to a weblog, here.
"The study also found that the videogames are most likely to lead to violence if played in a brothel while a drunken pimp is shouting at your mother." by JNelson.
Can't you just laugh and laugh at that?
Anyway, those of you who haven't already beat the horse with the mace, nows the time!
Add to Cyclone231's Reputation  
Unread 04-22-2004, 10:04 PM   #2
The Tortured one
Bullet Bill

The Tortured one is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via AIM to The Tortured one

the way I see it:

If a man murders his wife, and cites that she nagged him to no end and pushed him around, does it mean he shouldn't be punished? of course not, he commited murder, thats the plain black and white truth. If a girlfriend cheats on her boyfriend, then says that she was unhappy with the relationship and that she felt trapped, does that make the crime justified? no, A is A.
they call that kind of behavior the victimization of the criminal.
same applies to video games and violence. If a person didn't know any better and let video games influence us, does that mean that its the video game manfufacturers' fault that he picked up a gun and shot his school bully? nope, it doesn't.

Unless there was a physical coercion involved, then no, video game manufacturers are not responsible, just like a gun manufacturer isn't responsible for a man who commits suicide with their gun.

I think that yes, it does cause desensitization, but because I think a person should be allowed to live a self-destructive life, then if they don't have a problem de-sensitizing themselves, then by all means, as long as they ain't hurting me.

EDIT: let me make it clear, i don't use the word desensitize very strongly. the way I see it, the news is far more desensitizing than any video game could be, especially America's "shock" news.
Ethics: Self-interest
Politics: Capitalism

She then translated those terms into familiar language:
“Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed.”
“You can’t eat your cake and have it, too.”
“Man is an end in himself.”
“Give me liberty or give me death.”

Last edited by The Tortured one; 04-22-2004 at 10:09 PM.
The Tortured one is offline Add to The Tortured one's Reputation  
Unread 04-22-2004, 10:05 PM   #3
Bob The Mercenary
Bob Dole

Bob The Mercenary is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Bob The Mercenary is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Bob The Mercenary is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Bob The Mercenary is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Bob The Mercenary is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Bob The Mercenary is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Bob The Mercenary is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Bob The Mercenary is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world.
Send a message via AIM to Bob The Mercenary Send a message via MSN to Bob The Mercenary Send a message via Skype™ to Bob The Mercenary

*beats horse with mace*

Yeah, we talked this one to death and beyond a while back. If you want some meaningful, insightful commentary, you can check out the thread I made on this as well as the thread with my letter to the editor in it.
Unread 04-22-2004, 10:26 PM   #4
Klyco
Look'nForAGood WhiteMage

Klyco is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via AIM to Klyco Send a message via MSN to Klyco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone231
"The study also found that the videogames are most likely to lead to violence if played in a brothel while a drunken pimp is shouting at your mother." by JNelson.
If your in a brothel with your mom and a pimp, there are bigger problems than videogames

:bmage: check out my page at klyco.1up.com
Klyco is offline Add to Klyco's Reputation  
Unread 04-22-2004, 11:03 PM   #5
Otaku on

BLLLAAAARRRGHH! I ARE VIOLENT BECAUSE I PLAY VIDEO GAMES! I HATE ALL!

But seriously, I'm actually doing this topic for a research paper. And, The Tortured one's statement is basically my proposal statement: People who commit crimes should be punished, reguardless of the "influences." People need to take responsibility for their actions. After all, if someone who plays violent video games behaves like the normal law-biding citizen and gets treated as a law-biding citizen, then why can't people who play violent video games and commit crimes like the common criminal be treated as a common criminal? I think another issue is that parents, the ones who buy the freakin' M-rated games in the first place since their children can't, aren't taking responsibility for their kids. In fact, I was playing Wolfenstein 3D when I was 7 and my parents would always preach to me about how it's okay to do it in a video game because people don't get hurt, but if I do it in real life then someone will get hurt and I'd go to jail. Granted, I was and might go to the d-home rather than jail, but I was a little kid and scared as [censored] about it.
Add to Otaku on's Reputation  
Unread 04-22-2004, 11:43 PM   #6
Luna Santin
Returned from the Nether

Luna Santin is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

The argument that I generally ascribe to is that people who fail to distinguish between video games and real life were probably unstable to begin with. That and "Where Are the Parents?"
Unread 04-22-2004, 11:48 PM   #7
StormRider
I should be sleeping now.

StormRider is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Santin
The argument that I generally ascribe to is that people who fail to distinguish between video games and real life were probably unstable to begin with. That and "Where Are the Parents?"
I could not have said it better myself.

"Your star burns. I require frozen treats." ~Tycho, Penny Arcade

Riders on the storm
Riders on the storm
Into this house we’re born
Into this world we’re thrown
Like a dog without a bone
An actor out alone
Riders on the storm
~Jim Morrison of The Doors, Riders on the Storm (now guess where my handle comes from)
StormRider is offline Add to StormRider's Reputation  
Unread 04-23-2004, 02:12 PM   #8
h4x.m4g3
Lakitu

h4x.m4g3 is a glorious beacon of painfully blinding light. h4x.m4g3 is a glorious beacon of painfully blinding light.

I've beat it with a mace, a staff, a rock, a stick and everything else.
Its time to pull out Weapons of Mass Destruction

Video Games dont cause violent behavior. I've said that way too much to say that again. Where the parents at? Thats what I got to say. The kind of parent that buys there 7 year old kid Grand Theft Auto is the same kind of parent that takes their seven year old to a strip club, or to go see R rated movies with extreme violence, gore, sexuality and nudity.
h4x.m4g3 is offline Add to h4x.m4g3's Reputation  
Unread 04-23-2004, 08:49 PM   #9
The_Bear
Using the same avatar since 2003

The_Bear is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

Yeah, I agree that the problem is partially with the parents. I especially hate it when you here about a kid being sent to jail or dying, and the kid's parents say, "it must have been those video games." If they knew about the "evil" games, why didn't they stop their kid from playing them? Some people are just completely unbelievably dumb at times. While on the topic of blaming, I blame rap for all of the youth problems. Rap is unintelligent, violent, pointless, sexual, profane, and mostly just a bunch of lies. But do little kids see that? No, all they see is some guy singing songs and having lots of money and stuff because of it, so they imitate.
Unread 04-25-2004, 04:02 AM   #10
Mirai Gen
We are Geth.

Mirai Gen can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Mirai Gen can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Mirai Gen can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Mirai Gen can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Mirai Gen can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Mirai Gen can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Mirai Gen can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Mirai Gen can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

"I blame rap, and I blame video games. They're the cause, aren't they? I also blame movies, music in general, DND, cults, taxes, George Bush, Hell, uncomfortable chairs, hard beds, bad sex, lousy cars, socks, leather wallets, water bottles...."

OK maybe I'm exaggerating.

Anyway, to say that video games inspire violence and therefore promote killings is to say that, not the gun and the bullet to blame for JFK's assasination, the hammer of the gun is to blame.

Well it makes sense! If the hammer hadn't moved back and slammed viciously against the bullet's gunpowder and therefore inspired movement, JFK would still be alive! DOWN WITH HAMMERS!