The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Dead threads
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 08-15-2004, 08:41 PM   #1
ChaosMage
Evil Makes Me Smile

ChaosMage is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Default Strange Encounters

People confuse me a lot. After telling a little story, I will pose you two questions. Lets see your answers.

So I was in my sister's apartment complex's laundry room waiting to pickup our laundry because our dryer is broken. I got there (I had to drive there) about 5 minutes early, so I walked over to the two vending machines and took a look at the selections, and bought myself a Mr. Pibb. Much to my surprise, I got a Pibb Xtra. Damn X. I opened it up and started drinking it, and sat down. About 2 minutes later, a woman looking to be in her mid 40s walks in in her pajamas and also takes a look at the vending machines. She's lookin pretty bedraggled, and more than a little crazed. I assume she's there to pickup the stuff in the dryer that just finished. How wrong I was.

She walks back and forth between the two vending machines, pulls out a bunch of quarters (while not saying a word) and walks back and forth between the two, eventually buying two cans from each machine. She's having some trouble getting one of them to accept her change, but gets it to work finally. I'm curious as to why she would buy four cans from vending machines, but not too concerned. Finally, she very quiety says "Excuse me" while looking at me. I assume she wants to know if I have some quarters to replace her dimes or something. Suddenly, she gets the crazed look again and says "I just went on a f***ing diet, yanno?" I nod my head, afraid of being attacked. "I've been on it for a week and now my boyfriend is f***ing hungry, yanno what I mean?" I nod again, afraid for my life as she grabs her four cans of carbonated drink and stalks out all pissed off.

My two questions to you:
1) What did she mean? Anyone got a clue?
2) Anyone else ever had any really wierd encounters with other people? Or maybe with yourself?
ChaosMage is offline Add to ChaosMage's Reputation  
Unread 08-15-2004, 08:58 PM   #2
Demon with a Glass Hand
Cyberpunk Detective

Demon with a Glass Hand will become famous soon enough. Eventually. Maybe.

Mayhaps she and her boyfriend are on some strange 'diet softdrink' diet.

Which actually makes more sense than a diet where I can eat 3 pounds of bacon, a pound of lard, a thick, juicy steak, and a spit roasted pig so long as I don't touch apples, pasta, grain products ...

Crazy encounters are pretty much the norm where I come from. For some reason (budget cuts most likely) when a couple of asylums shut down my home town became a dumping ground for 're-habilitated' crazy people*.

Suffuce to say it's always interesting to watch a 60 year old man try to eat his own face.

And don't get me started on the hookers ...

*I cannot entirely verify whether on not this is the absolute truth. A lot if people have told me its true (mostly elderly people who have been in the community a while), and it does explain why my town is 60% populated with loonies ... but it may be false. Maybe ...
Demon with a Glass Hand is offline Add to Demon with a Glass Hand's Reputation  
Unread 08-16-2004, 06:51 AM   #3
RaiRai
Check mate.

RaiRai is like one of those neat quartz stones you find at the beach.
Send a message via AIM to RaiRai Send a message via MSN to RaiRai Send a message via Yahoo to RaiRai

Maybe he can drink the sodas and she can't and thus is annoyed that she got sent downstairs to purchase 4 sodas from the vending machine for him?

Or he's hungry and can eat and drink while she has to starve herself?

OR SHE'S CRAZY LIKE A FOX!

(shiney)
Unread 08-16-2004, 09:34 AM   #4
Osterbaum
The revolution will be memed!

Osterbaum is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Osterbaum is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Osterbaum is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Osterbaum is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Osterbaum is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Osterbaum is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Osterbaum is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Osterbaum is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world.
Send a message via AIM to Osterbaum Send a message via MSN to Osterbaum Send a message via Skype™ to Osterbaum

Well propably she was on a diet wich did not allow softdrinks, but she still had to go and buy some for her boyfriend. Why she told it to you beats me.

I have to say, that these kind of encounters are rather normal here. Normally they occur with drunk people though...Two bar's in the neigbhourhood, you know.

One of these weird encounters happened to be good once. We were about eight people sitting in one of the local bar's. After being there a while one of the elderly customers (propably early sixties) walk to our table and said he would offer us a pizza if we would keep it quiet. We offcourse agreed. So we got free pizza and everyone was happy. After we finished our pizza's though, the man said that now we would have to kiss his wife (the same age as he) at that point no one was too happy anymore. We slowly got out of the bar with some excuse.
Unread 08-16-2004, 09:52 AM   #5
Meister
Pure joy

Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay!
Send a message via AIM to Meister Send a message via MSN to Meister

There's an older guy here who can often be seen just taking a walk through town. Frequently he's asking people for cigarettes, and he's polite about it and all, too, so, why not, I figure. The thing is: he's asked me three times already on different occasions, and every time I told him, sorry, I'm a non-smoker. Mind you, I'm someone you learn to recognize fairly quick. And he lives two houses down the street. You'd think he'd know it by now. Puzzles me every time.
Meister is offline Add to Meister's Reputation  
Unread 08-16-2004, 10:12 AM   #6
adamark
typical college boy

adamark is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

These stories are very tame! I work at a bus station. I have for almost a year now. I've calculated that I've serviced about 15,000 people. I've seen all shades of people, dealt with all forms of psychotic tendencies, and seen thousands of instances of neurotic behavior. It's really a good job for me because I'll be studying sociology in college.

Anyways, looking back, I think maybe I've come across about two dangerously psychotic people. That's two authentically messed up, dangerous, murderous, unstable people - out of 15,000. Not too bad, right? Some people who only have one or two weird experiences with strangers would never know just how many shades of 'crazy' there are out there. One woman I know from work tells lies. She is compelled to lie. She we tell you the most out right looney stories about how she worked in the FBI and how her mom found a diamond mine in their back yard. Whatever, it's entertaining so I don't get angry.

We also had, um, sort of a sexual predator for a while. We think he was a homosexual. (And my coworkers and I are by no means homophobic people). But this guy would show up at five o'clock in the morning and stalk me around the office (I was 17 years old at the time). I think my boss told him to take a hike and he did. He was sorta scary, for me.

My town is situated right inbetween two small cities, so we get all sorts of element in there. One of my best buddies whom I talk with often travels on the bus, he happens to be a felon for attempted murder on a police officer. Pretty cool, huh? I love my job.
adamark is offline Add to adamark's Reputation  
Unread 08-16-2004, 02:41 PM   #7
ChaosMage
Evil Makes Me Smile

ChaosMage is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

Well, one good strange encounter we had was after the National Science Bowl in Washington DC. Our plane had been delayed 9 freaking hours. We were supposed to leave Reagan International Airport at 1 PM. We left at 10 PM. Fun stuff. Anyway, while we were at the airport a bunch of marines heading for bootcamp dumped like 50 bucks on our team of six (5 members plus coach) because apparently they take all your money when you get there anyway. It was cool. Our dinner was covered since we were stuck at the airport that long, and gave the rest to our coach to cover parking his car at Indianapolis Airport for a week.
ChaosMage is offline Add to ChaosMage's Reputation  
Unread 08-16-2004, 03:39 PM   #8
LordTobias

I am not entirely sure that this particular "encounter" has a place in this thread, but I'm putting it in anyway. Har har.

Anywho...Not that long ago my last grandmother died, and, as you all do or don't (I prithee you do!) know, there's a little thing called the "obituaries" in newspapers. Her name and brief life information were put in the paper...and a few days after, onto the funeral.

Everything seemed to be going normal....But, everyone, after saying hello -- a few people went inside to the casket -- seemed to not know who this little old woman was, smoking a cigarette standing on the corner... So, my dad walks over and asks her who she is, and she says she's here for the funeral. Sounds normal, right? Here's the strange part. She was there for a woman with the same name, a husband with the same name, with the same number of children (3 sons and 3 daughters) and the same age. I, being the cynic that I occasionally am, figured that she just made some excuse up to not look like a fool. She also said this woman worked at some particular church or hospital near a church.

But, an hour and a half or so later, the story was confirmed when a few fireman (oddly enough, my grandfather was a fireman), and a police officer (2 fireman, one cop) all stopped in to pay their respects, only to find out that this was not the woman they knew. Their story was identical to the old woman's.

Now that is weird, no?

Oh yeah. If you want other strange/weird encounters...Talk a stroll down a street in Philadelphia around midnight (and pray you don't find too many people! They like guns and demanding things like "empty your pockets!")

EDIT: I forgot to add this!

I was in the woods (Pennypack for those of you who don't live in Philadelphia) with my girlfriend and my friend. It looks like it's gonna rain. A lot. So, we're walking through as the clouds start forming in the sky, and we come across this guy...just, something doesn't look right about him. I could see it in his eyes plain as day. My girlfriend, being the oblivious one that she is (), didn't really pay attention to him, so I pulled her to the side away...Just had one of those feelings you get. The guy starts talking to us about all sorts of things. It was one of those attempts to draw someone physically closer. I know enough about those things to avoid them.

So, we walk on, and it starts to POUR. Like someone is dropping thousands of buckets of water at a time. Fortunately, there's an ampitheater towards one of the exits, which we got to and figured we'd wait there. Then, to none of my surprise, comes our local lunatic, looking even more disturbed than earlier.

The guy starts talking to me about his "powers" and how he created the storm and how people should believe him. The guy just goes on and on and on... Then I noticed something that I'm very glad I did. After the storm stopped, he had something sticking out of his pocket that wasn't showing early. The hilt of some sort of knife, and he was trying to get closer to me and the two I was with.

He also had a handy dandy little towel with him, likely for whiping off blood. But, yeah, I grabbed my g/f, pulled her behind me, had my friend go down the other steps and walked backward away from the guy, who kept trying to tell us more stories to draw us nearer.

Now THAT was a strange encounter. But yeah, if this ever happens kids, do yourselves a favor and keep away from a person like this, and don't let them get within an arms reach, or get behind you (the guy kept trying to get behind me and my friend....)

Yes, folks, Philadelphia has some weird people.

Last edited by LordTobias; 08-16-2004 at 05:39 PM.
Add to LordTobias's Reputation  
Unread 08-16-2004, 10:34 PM   #9
Dac
pilot of the brigandier

Dac is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

well nothing like that ever happened to me...except for probably one time i was traveling home after afterschool lessons and i was in a hurry and this one taxi driver was only bothering me to travel with him but i took another taxi that was already about to go... now when i reached back in my city i am walking home when suddenly i was walking pass this taxi and it was the same driver and he told me "you woulda reach home faster if yuh had travel with me..."After which i just slowly began to walk away thinking wtf?

then this happened to a friend of mine a couple days ago...we were attending church and during church my friend had sat in a 2 seater pew whereas i was in another place...during that time my friend seemed to have made another friend as this old guy who was apparently sitting across from him just went and decided to sit by hime...throughout the entire mass the old guy kept quiet and it was towards the end he started talking to my friend about how he is ah lonely guy and have no friends and asking him questions like wat was his name and where he was goin..it was when mass ended my friend decided to ditch this guy in a subtle manner saying how his mother was calling him and he hadda pass a certain way which the old guy responded that he hadda pass the same way. but eventually my friend get away...now after mass he was telling me this story which i was skepticall of at first but in the middle of our discussion the old guy comes back again and started talking to him saying how he will see him later and rested his hand on my friend's shoulder...
:bmage: i think i should 'up' the medication
Dac is offline Add to Dac's Reputation  
Unread 08-16-2004, 10:53 PM   #10
MP37a
Sacred Samurai Gunslinger

MP37a is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via ICQ to MP37a Send a message via MSN to MP37a

Wow that'd be scary LordTobias about that guy with the knife. It's a good thing you noticed it. I can't recall too many weird occurences with ppl but I do meet a lot of strange ppl. Like this one girl the other day that kept following me around at this party and like petting me. It really creeped me out.