The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Dead threads
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 04-30-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
Vulcan
Destroyer Of Pies!!

Vulcan is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via MSN to Vulcan
Flawed genius

I've recently been playing Sonic 3, for the obvious reason that it's still a very fun game.
But something struck me just moments ago as I was zipping through Dr.Robotnik's multiple bases, defenses and legions of robots.

The Doc has made a most fatal error in all his defences.

Why the hell did he think it wise to include hundreds of holes, tubes and lifts that are all suspiciously hedgehog sized. They also move you effeciently closer to his central base.
For a man who can build thousands of robots, giant spaceships and an infinite mount of useless contraptions he seems to have forgotten the use of a front door key.

Or at least he should place some trip mines in those damn tubes. Sonic and Tails would explode into a bloody pulp of fur and spikes quicker than you could say 'Shadow sucks'.

How many other so called arch-nemesis's of the gaming world have such flawed genius as Robotnik?
Unread 04-30-2007, 06:04 PM   #2
lazy man
Harrumph!

lazy man is like one of those neat quartz stones you find at the beach.
Send a message via Skype™ to lazy man

In all honesty, I think the space pirates from Metroid have a lot of kinks in their system. Although this shows more in Prime I still think that, with all of their technology and the fact that they've gotten metroids MULTIPLE times in Metroid history, it seems pretty strange that they haven't even CAPTURED Samus yet.

Although I guess that just says something about Samus and how versatile the Power Suit can be.
lazy man is offline Add to lazy man's Reputation  
Unread 04-30-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
42PETUNIAS
helloooo!

42PETUNIAS is a glorious beacon of painfully blinding light. 42PETUNIAS is a glorious beacon of painfully blinding light.
Send a message via AIM to 42PETUNIAS Send a message via MSN to 42PETUNIAS Send a message via Skype™ to 42PETUNIAS

Well, this pretty much goes for any game that has a single path you need to take through it. I think there will be a decrease in this kind of game, and how obvious and unrealistic it is as time goes on, but it will never completly dissapear.
Unread 04-30-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
Used_Potato
Avatar relevant to username? HERESY

Used_Potato is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

MegaMan Classic Series.

I dunno if Wily's putting putting some sort of fortress-locking mechanism on his Robot Masters, but however beating all eight of them allows you access to his fortress, he really needs to rethink that.

Why doesn't he just have all his Robot Masters GANG THE FUCK UP on MegaMan? It doesn't even have to be just eight either; he could send an army of Robot Masters right at him to get the job done.

Seeing as MegaMan has proven himself a dire threat to Wily's schemes, why doesn't he just go over to whereever he is and nuke him off the face of the planet? Of course, the same can be said of Robotnik as well, and pretty much any evil video game scientist.
Used_Potato is offline Add to Used_Potato's Reputation  
Unread 04-30-2007, 11:16 PM   #5
BitVyper
History's Strongest Dilettante

BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday!
Send a message via AIM to BitVyper

Quote:
it seems pretty strange that they haven't even CAPTURED Samus yet.
Not really. How could they capture her? Obviously, they can't try to use any sort of computer locking mechanism, or anything computerized, for that matter, so high technology is pretty much out. Mechanical locks can be blown apart, frozen, melted, etc, so no dice there. They could try to just drop a bunch of big metallic blocks on all sides of her, but the woman has more destructive power than God. The only real option is trying to KO her and then get the suit off. We've seen how well direct confrontation goes for them.

Samus getting through their security was explained very well in Metroid Prime: They just can't build anything she can't get into. The level of technology she possesses is so far above their's, it's basically magic.

I like the way Metroid: The Third Derivative (a comic) handled the matter of Samus' superior technology: http://www.bobandgeorge.com/Subcomic...Metroid413.png

The same thing pretty much goes for Sonic: It's not like Eggman intentionally builds hedgehog-sized holes in his bases; it's that Sonic busts through just about everything. He'll get into the piping, run on places that aren't designed for running, clear a thirty foot chasm, and whatever else is necessary. You just can't keep him out: He'll slip through any hole, clear any gap, grab any hand hold and smash any wall. Besides that, Sonic usually isn't infiltrating Eggman's bases. The zones generally range from tropical wilderness to factories. You only really see Eggman's base when you're getting to the end of the games.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea is asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace; we've got work to do!"

Awesome art be here.

Last edited by BitVyper; 04-30-2007 at 11:32 PM.
BitVyper is offline Add to BitVyper's Reputation  
Unread 04-30-2007, 11:30 PM   #6
Seil
Super stressed!

Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana.

I thought about this in the Prince Of Persia series for PS2. I mean, the world is essentialy lost to time:

Sands of Time spewing around and demolishing and decaying everything in your path - but there always manages to be some sort of han-hold leading to a pole which leads to a platform which lets you continue on to the rest of your journey. Water was somehow always there for you after a Dahaka chase, while the older version of the Time Palace was somehow without a lack of handholds.
Seil is offline Add to Seil's Reputation  
Unread 05-01-2007, 06:42 AM   #7
42PETUNIAS
helloooo!

42PETUNIAS is a glorious beacon of painfully blinding light. 42PETUNIAS is a glorious beacon of painfully blinding light.
Send a message via AIM to 42PETUNIAS Send a message via MSN to 42PETUNIAS Send a message via Skype™ to 42PETUNIAS

And then theres also the fact that it wouldn't be fun to play if there wasn't a way to beat the game. It happens much more in old games, which didn't focus as much about plot and realisticness, as much as having a good time.
Unread 05-01-2007, 07:37 AM   #8
PyrosNine
Zettai Hero

PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier. PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier. PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier. PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier. PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier. PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier. PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier.
Send a message via AIM to PyrosNine Send a message via Yahoo to PyrosNine

THe funniest thing I remember was this comic from dueling analogs or something where they point out, rightly so, that the Space Pirates, in their ZEAL for reverse engineering Aran/Chozo weaponry have made a great many of the doors to their own SHIP and areas openable by the ice beam and the other beam weapons.

The only problem is, they don't actually have Ice Pirates (wasn't there a movie under that name?) until near the end of the game, so how the heck were they supposed to get around their ship? You could walk in, blast some Pirates, then go through a door and they couldn't follow you at all.

Technically, for Megaman and Sonic levels, it was BECAUSE Wily and Eggman wanted Sonic in that they put in things that Megaman could use. They are brilliant, geniuses in most uses of the word, and when they design a diabolical deathtrap run, they want to see it used.

Of course, ONLY Sonic and ONLY Megaman can navigate them, because they were made especially with them in mind. It's like a super powered version of the obstacle course the camp instructors build every year. They expect you to get through it, but to have as difficult time as possible so as to stroke their ego.

The only other input I have on this, is that Sonic is probably taking a backdoor route, as the 2D dimension we see while playing is only one path through Eggman's castle/dungeon, and for all we know the reason why there are pipes is because thats how Eggman's plumbing gets anywhere.

Current Works for reading: War Between them, Karma Police.

PyrosNine: Weirdo Magnet Extraordinaire!
PyrosNine is offline Add to PyrosNine's Reputation  
Unread 05-01-2007, 09:14 AM   #9
Tendronai
I will crush your economy.

Tendronai will become famous soon enough. Eventually. Maybe.
Send a message via AIM to Tendronai

You know, for the same reason, you would think that Bowser would start handing out those old WW1 German helmets to his Koopas. How many times does he have to see it before he realizes Mario's main weapon is his jumping?
Unread 05-01-2007, 09:51 AM   #10
Moogle0119
The REAL Lord of the Dance

Moogle0119 is like one of those neat quartz stones you find at the beach.

Talking about Bowser, he was bad in Super Mario World. Let's face it, despite the levels he placed between his castle and his enemy he still left Mario two entrances (front door and back door) and both were left unlocked. On top of this, the final battle happens while he is in his Koopa Clown flying above Mario at a height that Mario cannot jump on top of his head. Despite this clear tactical advantage as he can also rain down little lava flames from the sky AND being able to pound the ground with his vehicle, round after round he throws the wind-up enemies down at Mario, only to have them thrown right back at him to knock Bowser out enough to defeat him.
Moogle0119 is offline Add to Moogle0119's Reputation