The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Social > Playing Games
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 05-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #41
Gregness
Never give up. Never give in.

Gregness can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Gregness can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Gregness can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Gregness can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Gregness can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Gregness can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Gregness can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Gregness can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithdarth View Post
I'm definitely way more motivated to get the 3rd edition books now. The lower lethality of combat makes me feel like there is more room for me to do interesting things. Also, I feel like I kinda want to try and break the initiative system at some point.
Heh, I've found the system to be fairly robust, given that the full rules have little GM sidebars that say stuff like 'no, your players cannot attack each other in order to get initiative, and you should thwack them with a newspaper if they try'. What're your first few ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauve Ma-- Wait No WIZARD Yeah Mauve Wizard View Post
I learned it's very hard to come up with sick combat/dodge stunts for a character who is very much [b]not [\b]a combat-focused character. But it was an enjoyable game nonetheless.
Honestly, I really liked your stunts! Even if Arcanum's 'Imma yell at the wolf' parry stunt ended up being my overall favorite of the night.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
- Robert Heinlein
Gregness is offline Add to Gregness's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #42
Sithdarth
Friendly Neighborhood Quantum Hobo

Sithdarth is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Sithdarth is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Sithdarth is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Sithdarth is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Sithdarth is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Sithdarth is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Sithdarth is like Reed Richards, but prettier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauve Ma-- Wait No WIZARD Yeah Mauve Wizard View Post
I learned it's very hard to come up with sick combat/dodge stunts for a character who is very much not a combat-focused character. But it was an enjoyable game nonetheless.
At least you didn't have to try to come up with a stunt for chanting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregness
Heh, I've found the system to be fairly robust, given that the full rules have little GM sidebars that say stuff like 'no, your players cannot attack each other in order to get initiative, and you should thwack them with a newspaper if they try'. What're your first few ideas?
Without spending some time with the core rulebook and a bigger selection of charms and artifacts I'm not entirely sure how things would shake out. However, it seems in general there should be an optimum combination of evasion and soak that'll minimize initiative loss and then from there it is just a matter or maximizing initiative gain. Of course the first step to high initiative is a high join battle roll which should be compatible with high evasion.

Another thing that would be potentially useful is mixing in some high mobility to move into and out of range quickly.
Sithdarth is offline Add to Sithdarth's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #43
Bard The 5th LW
Feelin' Super!

Bard The 5th LW can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Bard The 5th LW can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Bard The 5th LW can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Bard The 5th LW can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Bard The 5th LW can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Bard The 5th LW can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Bard The 5th LW can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

The session definitely got me interested in the system, and I hope to play/run it at some point in the future! A lot of the new systems seem really intimidating in the core book, but the module did a good job at breaking them down, especially combat. I kinda worried that I knew more than my character towards the end there, but it seemed to go well enough.
Bard The 5th LW is offline Add to Bard The 5th LW's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2017, 12:47 AM   #44
Gregness

Gregness can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Gregness can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Gregness can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Gregness can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Gregness can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Gregness can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Gregness can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Gregness can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithdarth View Post
Without spending some time with the core rulebook and a bigger selection of charms and artifacts I'm not entirely sure how things would shake out. However, it seems in general there should be an optimum combination of evasion and soak that'll minimize initiative loss and then from there it is just a matter or maximizing initiative gain. Of course the first step to high initiative is a high join battle roll which should be compatible with high evasion.

Another thing that would be potentially useful is mixing in some high mobility to move into and out of range quickly.
Hah! I was expecting you to be trying to make some pun-pun-esque rules abuse monstrosity. Where I come from we just call all that 'being heavily invested in combat'.

Seriously though, It's possible to make some really, really beastly combatants, especially once you get into higher essence (which is 5 for most purposes in Ex3 now. Essence 6+ is explicit ST permission territory), but each combat ability kind of has its own 'thing' that it's best at, with other abilities being able to exploit different niches. Brawl has the best single target damage potential and specializes in killing the everloving shit out of giant monsters, and dodge gives you the absolute best defense against a single person. Melee tends to be a solid generalist tree, plus has really good clash-enhancing charms and penalty negators. Resistance has the stuff you want if you're getting mobbed on by a ton of opponents, and just in general makes actually killing you ridiculously difficult (in fact, the newbie advice from previous editions of 'buy an Ox-Body' that was always kind of a trap purchase is actually a solid idea now with the way extra health interacts with initiative). Thrown really rewards dropping a huge alpha strike out of stealth and Archery gives you range, efficient damage adders, and one of the few withering clashes in the whole charmset.

And all that is even ignoring the fact that non-dawn castes can make up some pretty mean combat builds in their own right. Zeniths have a ton of familiar-enhancing charms in Survival that can enable a pretty mean beastmaster style, and nights and eclipses can be annoying as hell with a ride focused build that kites almost forever.

You can certainly buy your way into a big chunk of that, but at that point you're an Essence 5 master combatant of the Solar host, which is exactly the kind of being that is explicitly intended to be dunking rings around the vast majority of the setting. As far as I know there's no weird loophole abuses a-la kobold sorcerers or infinite wishes or anything like what existed in past editions of D&D.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
- Robert Heinlein

Last edited by Gregness; 05-16-2017 at 01:06 AM.
Unread 05-16-2017, 04:40 AM   #45
Sithdarth

Sithdarth is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Sithdarth is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Sithdarth is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Sithdarth is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Sithdarth is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Sithdarth is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Sithdarth is like Reed Richards, but prettier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregness View Post
Hah! I was expecting you to be trying to make some pun-pun-esque rules abuse monstrosity. Where I come from we just call all that 'being heavily invested in combat'.
That would be a feat for me to accomplish without having really seen the entire ruleset. However, there might be something along the lines of maybe Hulking Hurler level lurking in the rules especially as the amount of content grows. Once you've got an artifact book, a dragonblood book, a sidereal book, an alchemical book, an Infernal book, and an abyssal book (maybe a first age book as well) then you've definitely got some room to play with the really really broken stuff (i.e. characters that can move at relativistic speeds).

But honestly I don't enjoy going that far usually. I like to limit myself to things I think I could realistically sneak by the person running the game. I guess "break" might have been too strong a word. I'm definitely interested in testing the outer limits of what can be accomplished when you specialize a character in initiative.

I'm more for choices that are maximally efficient and highly synergistic that when combined with the right strategic play make me basically as powerful as a full circle of characters at my level. I'm not usually looking to build starting level characters that can complete end game content. I'm looking to build starting level characters that will face roll starting level content and could probably handle things meant for characters a few levels higher.
Unread 05-17-2017, 06:50 PM   #46
Gregness

Ooh, we've got new previews for the Dragonblooded! They did the first of these previews a few weeks back to show how they're giving charms elemental keywords, rather than just have each tree be 100% one element or another, and now part II is showing how they'll be able to manipulate 'aura states' to power up their skills (also, combat charms this time!).
- Robert Heinlein
Unread 05-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #47
Sithdarth

Dragon's hidden treasure could be good for shenanigans. I'm thinking store a bunch of dangerous things (possibly that explode) in a boulder then chuck it very hard near an enemy to destroy it and release all that stuff to damage the enemy. Basically tactical nuke if done right.
Unread 06-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #48
Gregness

Another preview for Dragonbloods!

I like the direction they're going with the charms so far. One thing I've seen from people who are fans of Dragonblooded is tension between people who want them to be Avatar-style benders, and people who really like the more metaphorical effects like fire-aspected 'my eyes smolder seductively for extra successes'. There was a quote that went something like 'It's stupid that my elemental supersoldier can use the constancy of earth to hold fast to his principles, but not build a wall'. It looks to me like they're threading the needle and delivering both.

Also, as someone who's a total strategy nerd, that War charm is the shit.
- Robert Heinlein