The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Social > Media Consumption
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 06-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #1
walkertexasdruid
I am the One

walkertexasdruid is a glorious beacon of painfully blinding light. walkertexasdruid is a glorious beacon of painfully blinding light.
Books What books are you reading?

I had taken a break from reading my books because of my addiction to Netflix and my Directv DVR. I have, however, returned to them in the last month. I have recently read Outlander by Dianna Gabaldon, which was good and I am looking forward to season 3 on Starz, as well reading the other books in the series. I also finished Warheart by Terry Goodkind, and it was surprisingly hopeful considering how dark and depressing the previous three books had been in that series. I am currently reading the Defenders of Shannara trilogy.

Yes I am a fantasy nerd. So what books are you reading?
Unread 06-18-2017, 04:21 AM   #2
MuMu
Rocky Wrench

MuMu can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. MuMu can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. MuMu can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. MuMu can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. MuMu can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. MuMu can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. MuMu can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. MuMu can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Previously Previously: Furiously Happy, by Jenny Lawson. Having previously read her sort-of-memoir Let's Pretend This Never Happened and greatly enjoying it, I decided to try Lawson's next book. While the first largely deal with her parents - specially her taxidermist father - her unique upbringing in rural Texas, growing her own family and learning about her myriad of disorders, the second has a much more firmer grip on her mental illnesses and dealing with it. While most writers would make such issues seem "quirky" in a Hollywood Manic Pixie Dream Girl way, Lawson drives the point that being her is not easy and even when drawing humor from her escapades she still let's us know that this is a serious issue that needs to be dealth with accordingly. Even then, it's a very entertaining read and highly reccomended if you want to laugh and then feel sad and then laugh again.

Previously: Welcome to Night Vale, by Joseph Fink & Jeffrey Cranor. I guess I should preface this by saying I never listened to the original podcast; maybe if I had I would not have given this a chance because wow, this is bad. About the story, it takes place on the titular Night Vale, a town like no other. Jackie Fierro, owner of a Pawn Shop receives a visit from a weird man one day. Despite being very uneasy at dealing with him - even with decades of experience at handling trades - she accepts his item: A single piece of paper with the words KING CITY written on it. Soon she realizes she can't get rid neither of the paper neither of the idea of what KING CITY could be. Somewhere else, Diane Crayton is having issues. First from her shapeshifting son, who insists on asking about his absent father, and second from the fact that she seems to be the only one who has noticed one of her coworkers, Evan, has gone missing; no one at her department can remember such a person or even anybody named Evan. All in all, the premise is interesting. Except the writers entire schtick is that the town is the weirdest town in the world. Every single thing has to be as bizarre as possible, every single line has to mention something unusual, every single character either has something odd about them or happening to them at any time. It's just freaky situation after freaky situation, which makes it very hard to care about what happens to any of the characters in the story; deep down, it is a story about family and what brings it together but it's covered by a mile high dump of off-the-wall instances. Unless you're absolutely starved for a modern fantasy setting, skip it.

Currently: Look at me, by Jennifer Egan. After a car accident, the model Charlotte has to go through extensive and radical surgeries that reconstruct her face - while it takes some time to recover, it leaves her intact, but unrecognizable. While recovering from her wounds, she stays in her hometown, reminiscing her past in the peaceful city and her times spent with her then bestfriend, Ellen. She also has a brief meeting with Charlotte - Ellen's teenage daughter. The story spirals from there, changing point of views and focusing on multiple characters and their struggles, which are almost always more erratic than they let on.

I'm still early on this one - around 150 pages in - but it is pretty good. The panoramic view of the story is great for fleshing out characters and seeing things from each one's point of view also helps us understand what each one is hiding from everyone else.

Next:Stories Of Your Life and others, by Ted Chiang. A collection of sci-fi short stories, including the one that inspired the movie Arrival - which I still have not seen :V .
MuMu is offline Add to MuMu's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #3
mauve
So Dreamy

mauve sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. mauve sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. mauve sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. mauve sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. mauve sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. mauve sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. mauve sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. mauve sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. mauve sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. mauve sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. mauve sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops.

My guilty pleasure is reading Laurie R. King's Holmes and Russell novels. They are basically Mary-Sue fanfiction starring a retired Sherlock Holmes and his apprentice-turned-wife (disturbingly MUCH younger than he is-- he's in his sixties and she's in her twenties) Mary Russell. They are horrible trashy fanfiction and I love them. The earlier novels are actually quite good; they get more blatantly more mary-sue-fanfictiony as they get later in the series.

When I'm NOT reading my beloved absolute garbage, I'm working my way through a bunch of Agatha Christie mysteries.

I'm​ currently listening to an audiobook of Truckers by Terry Pratchett while driving. I've only ever read his Discworld novels (and Good Omens), and Truckers is the first in a trilogy about gnomes living in a store. Hadn't heard about it before. It's fun so far.