The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Social > Drawing, writing, and other art
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 12-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #111
Kyanbu The Legend
Local Rookie Indie Dev

Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero.
Send a message via MSN to Kyanbu The Legend

Thank you for the feedback RPG.
Unread 01-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #112
Kyanbu The Legend
Local Rookie Indie Dev

Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero.

Update:

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

I have spoken with someone last week week who is willing to help me out with the music. And maybe even compose a few tracks for the game!!!

I'll keep his identity a secret for now, till everything is finalized.

Also I have another question for you all.

How many different types/kinds of enemies do you like to see in each level of a plat former? 5 or 7?

Also here's the current update schedule.

On Wednesday I'll be posting a few rough sketches of some more enemies in the game. Mainly enemies that will appear in the level "Waking Forest". The stage that will be used in the engine test later this summer.

On Thursday I'll be posting Sarina's jogging animation.

And on Friday I'll be posting some more rough sketches of enemies.

Till then Later_

~Kyanbu
Unread 01-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #113
phil_
Just sleeping

phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops.
Send a message via AIM to phil_ Send a message via Skype™ to phil_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyanbu The Legend View Post
How many different types/kinds of enemies do you like to see in each level of a plat former? 5 or 7?
It really depends on how much individual enemies are capable of, how much the player is capable of at a given time, and how strong the theme is for each level. Like, Mario tends to have five bad guys per level, give or take two, but Mario doesn't have many obvious ways of dealing with baddies (jump on, fireball, avoid) and the monsters tend to move back and forth, serving mostly as dangerous scenery. Muramasa has maybe two bad guys per level, but the player has lots of different ways to approach monsters (though they all boil down to "hit with sword at different speeds") and the monsters tend to have lots of special moves, so it stays fresh for a while. Ragnarok Online has maybe three monsters per map at most, but there's a lot of variety between maps (as one would hope after ten years) and players have lots of ways of approaching fights, plus some monsters are so cute you just want to go out and slaughter them by the thousands to be around them.

So I got nothing useful after all that. Balance surprises and strategy against random bullshit bird knocked me off a cliff what's a bird doing in a cave? But keep in mind that too much monster variety might be a pain for players if they have limited powers at a time (although you might want that for strategy, like Monster Hunter). And cute can be good if you want weirdos like me playing your game.
Unread 01-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #114
Kyanbu The Legend
Local Rookie Indie Dev

I see, thank you for the feedback Phil.
Unread 01-10-2014, 01:34 AM   #115
Kyanbu The Legend
Local Rookie Indie Dev

Update:

Enemy Designs and the stages they are planned to appear in:

Enemy# 007

Enemy# 008

Enemy# 009

Enemy# 010

Like with before, I have not came up with a name for any of these Phantasms. They will each have a name by the time of the final build. I'm also more focus on drawing all 65 to 96 Phantasms for the game at least once before going into greater detail with their appearances.

Last edited by Kyanbu The Legend; 01-10-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Kyanbu The Legend is offline Add to Kyanbu The Legend's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #116
Kyanbu The Legend
Local Rookie Indie Dev

Update:

Sarina's Jumping Animation WIP

Tomorrow I'll have her fixed jogging animation ready along with a WIP on her starting running animation.

And I might also have a few more enemy phantasms up as well. Most likely only 2 though.

Unread 01-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #117
rpgdemon
Not a Taco

rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years.

I used to do high jump back in the day, so I paid a lot of attention to how jumping works, and she's not really going through the motions of jumping.

She should be coming down before she goes up into the air. The leg she's going to jump off of should bend down, and she has to get low on it, in order to have any driving force jumping off of it. When she's jumping up, the knee opposite her leg that she's taking off on should come driving up when she's going up, and the two arms should come up simultaneously, not staggered like you have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard The 5th LW View Post
RPG has total "I told you so" privileges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard The 5th LW View Post
RPG still has total "I told you so" privileges.

Last edited by rpgdemon; 01-11-2014 at 08:13 PM.
rpgdemon is offline Add to rpgdemon's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #118
Loyal
Making it happen.

Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare.
Send a message via AIM to Loyal Send a message via MSN to Loyal Send a message via Skype™ to Loyal

More to the point, in terms of animation, the word of the day is "Anticipation." In short, any action should be preceded by movement in the opposite direction, appropriate to the strength/speed of the action. With jumping, you have what RPG described, but this applies to pretty much anything whatsoever, from throwing a punch to making some grandiose gesture for an audience.

See here for more info.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Tumblr. Twitter. Feel free to follow.
3DS Friend Code: 4441-8226-8387

Loyal is offline Add to Loyal's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #119
Kyanbu The Legend
Local Rookie Indie Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgdemon View Post
I used to do high jump back in the day, so I paid a lot of attention to how jumping works, and she's not really going through the motions of jumping.

She should be coming down before she goes up into the air. The leg she's going to jump off of should bend down, and she has to get low on it, in order to have any driving force jumping off of it. When she's jumping up, the knee opposite her leg that she's taking off on should come driving up when she's going up, and the two arms should come up simultaneously, not staggered like you have them.
I thought about that. And decided not to include that due to the delay it would cause in her motion. For what I had in mind with platforming and bosses. That quarter second delay could be lethal in some scenarios.

I understand what you mean but, this may have to be a necessary break from reality for the player's sake.

That bolded line aside, thank you for the feed back RPG and Loyal. I'll check out that link and make changes to the jumping animation once I get back around to it.

Ultimately she might end up having a separate animation for jumping while moving and jumping while stationary anyway.
Unread 01-12-2014, 12:42 AM   #120
Loyal
Making it happen.

Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare.
Send a message via AIM to Loyal Send a message via MSN to Loyal Send a message via Skype™ to Loyal

Quote:
I thought about that. And decided not to include that due to the delay it would cause in her motion. For what I had in mind with platforming and bosses. That quarter second delay could be lethal in some scenarios.
This is not nearly as big a deal as you're making it out to be. When it comes to video games running at 60fps, most characters have pre-jump animations of at least a few frames. Between 6 and 8 frames, usually. Since you have hand-drawn sprite animations you'd probably be running at 24-30 frames per second and scale down appropriately. A quarter of a second is gratuitous and unnecessary to convey the animation of jumping.

Point is, even in lightning-fast fighting games, players adjust to these delays and work it into their muscle memory. It's not going to cause any fatalities that weren't already going to happen due to a failing on the player's part.

---------- Post added 01-12-2014 at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-11-2014 at 10:55 PM ----------

I've slapped together a simple jumping animation to demonstrate.

There are two frames added between the standing pose and the start of the actual jump. Considering the framerate I could probably have gotten away with 1, but the point is that those two frames help sell the jump, by communicating to the audience that he's put energy into it. This simple gesture takes so little time to elapse that it couldn't possibly be a significant hindrance to the player.

Relatedly, you should spare a frame or two to have the character squish down a bit when they land, before they straighten back up, since this sells the impact of the landing. If you like, you can make the animation cancelable by any action and only have it play out when the player lands without further input, so that it doesn't freeze the player in place, but it's still a good idea to have it in there.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Tumblr. Twitter. Feel free to follow.
3DS Friend Code: 4441-8226-8387

Loyal is offline Add to Loyal's Reputation   Reply With Quote