The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Dead threads
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 10-16-2005, 05:14 AM   #1
Darshendros
Dracolich Superstar

Darshendros is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via MSN to Darshendros Send a message via Yahoo to Darshendros
Default Necropolita - City of the Damned, Ch. II

Valas groaned with annoyance as he heard the Mad Lich's message, choosing to respond to it later, if ever at all. He had more important things to handle right now, the most important of them being to stop the ravaging Hollows from destroying everyone. It was one thing to live in a city full of dead people, and a completely different thing to live in a city full of Hollows. It was almost as bad as living with gods damned vampires.

Since nobody answered his question, it either meant that nobody knew, or nobody was speaking up. He chose to believe the former, since this city's history has been forgotten by all but the scholarly types, relating it to his audience.

"Before this city was ever called Necropolita, an army of the undead waged war upon the living mortals that once ruled this land. This army was led by seven liches, called the Lich Kings, and each were masters of a particular school of magic. Yes, yes, I know; there's eight schools of magic, so how're there only seven? Since each of them were undead, Necromancy was an additional focus for each of them, and thus none were the sole master over the school that truly dominates them all."

"As such, each of the Lich Kings had an armament of spirit-imbued weapons and artifacts, as well as spells. When they suddenly disappeared from the city several millenia ago, leaving it for the vampires to take over, they brought with them all of their possessions. Where they all went has been a mystery... until now. I've found the location of one of the Lich Kings' tombs, where I'm sure we will find at least some of the weaponry we will need against the Hollow invasion. All I need now are some individuals who willingly want to go and retrieve them."

"So, any volunteers?"

Shendaros Multi-Planar Network - Won't you be our neighbor?
Worlds currently linked to Shendaros Prime: Draconis, Earth, Eden, Faerun, Gaia, Io, Krynn, Pangeia, Shards, Sol, Terra, Uerth, Zanzibar

The world is Square.

Click my links, and I'll give you a cookie!*

* Offer limited only to those who join sites linked.
Darshendros is offline Add to Darshendros's Reputation  
Unread 10-16-2005, 09:49 AM   #2
Arhra
Ara ara!

Arhra is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Arhra is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Arhra is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Arhra is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Arhra is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Arhra is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Arhra is like Reed Richards, but prettier.
Send a message via AIM to Arhra

Meros sits in his tower, carefully studying a scroll recently come into his possession. It is an intriguing text about the interaction between the spiritual and physical planes. It's writer has some very interesting and unorthodox theories despite his unfortunate tendency to overextend them and a somewhat bombastic writing style. Still, quite worth the not inconsiderable price he had paid for it. His musings are interrupted by a knock on his door.

"Enter."

The door swings open and Kaupar enters hesitantly. The ghoul had been serving as one of his apprentices for almost four years now and had proven to be a good choice, unlike his predecessor. Meros looks up from the scroll on the table and eyes the ghoul.

"What is it Kauper?"

"Master, your Watchers have seen something in the scrying pool. Hollows are attacking in an arena in the city and I was not certain if they'd informed you." Kauper shifts uncomfortably - Meros isn't the most reasonable of individuals at times.

Meros' voice is mellow with just a hint of amusement as his eyes turn back to the scroll, "Of course I am aware of it Kauper. It is simply not yet the time to take any action. While I fully intend to deal with them, I am waiting for one final sign. Jaris will undoubtedly be asking for my assistance but in case he does not, I would hardly wish to risk interfering with the government's response."

Kauper nods in understanding. He's quite aware that his master has been making certain negotiations with Jaris, the head of one of the major magical academies for his support in gaining a seat on Necropolita's parliament. He bows and turns to leave.

"Kauper, one last thing."

"Yes master?"

"Doubt can be a useful quality as long as it is not taken to extremes."

The ghoul hurries out, thinking about Meros' last words. Was it mild praise or a gentle rebuke? Probably both. The mage liked being damnably indirect at times.

Meros doesn't have long to wait when he feels a spell slide into his mind. A message from Jaris. He opens himself to it and listens to the vampire's slightly flustered voice.

"Meros, as I'm sure you already know, there are a number of hollows causing a disturbance in the Lower Wards. I request you lend your aid for removing this threat in the interests of minimising any further bloodshed. As a token of my appreciation, and considering your other generous actions before, I am willing to back your request for a position on Necropolita's parliamentry council."

Meros replies equally formally, "I will readily give you my assistance in this matter and thank you for your most kind offer." He calmly puts a paperweight on his scroll, stands and walks out the foor, heading for the stairs. As he reaches the gates, his personal guard step out with him: a complex, hulking assemblage of bone. These wild hollows should not pose a significant threat. He sets off.

Last edited by Arhra; 10-17-2005 at 05:32 AM.
Arhra is offline Add to Arhra's Reputation  
Unread 10-16-2005, 11:00 AM   #3
Squishy Cheeks
Cheers!

Squishy Cheeks is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via AIM to Squishy Cheeks Send a message via MSN to Squishy Cheeks

Charon completed the salt ring and started to draw a strange star shaped symbol inside.

"Don't let them break the circle."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silky Johnson
I hate you, I hate you, I don't even know you and I hate your guts. I hope all the bad things in life happen to you and nobody else but you.
Squishy Cheeks is offline Add to Squishy Cheeks's Reputation  
Unread 10-16-2005, 12:34 PM   #4
The Mighty Penguinhead
powerful poultry

Location: I am beyond such trivial concepts as life and death
The Mighty Penguinhead is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

Eff leapt from the window ledge and barked a command word. The huge bat-like wings on the harness strapped to his back unfolded, and he flexed his shoulder blades, flapping a couple times to gain altitude. Clutching his enchanted staff tightly in his right hand, he swooped towards the stadium, wind whistling through his eye sockets and what was left of his sinuses. He pulled up several hundred yards short of the stadium, flapping frequently to maintain a stationary position. There were more hollows than he'd thought! The interior of the stadium was completely over-run, and the surrounding area was getting worse by the moment. It wasn't just a disturbance, it was a full-scale invasion!
Eff thought for a moment. He had one meteor swarm prepared, and while it would be immensely satisfying to bathe the arena in searing flames, his gut feeling was that someone somewhere would end up charging him for the damages. Also, it was doubtful it would do any lasting harm to the invading force. There really wasn't much he could do here, and that made Eff angry.
"Da damages can kiss my rotten undead ass!" he bellowed at nobody in particular as he landed on a rooftop overlooking the stadium.
The thought briefly crossed his mind that their might still be some 'survivors', as much as the term could be applied in Necropolita, inside the arena. It was quickly followed by the thought that he really didn't care.
Holding his staff under one arm, he began to chant and weave a series of grand gestures through the air, his fingers leaving glowing red lines in their wake.
Unread 10-16-2005, 12:37 PM   #5
Sprinkle_Death
What burrito?

Sprinkle_Death is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

"Easy," said Taiki to the other fighter, "just don't be on my shadow at all. Use ranged attakcks." As she said that, she extended her shadow around the circle. When the shadow made a circle around the circle of salt, she extended it to make it wider. Now, it was about six feet wide at any spot. The hollows started to rush at them. When several of the hollows were over the shadow, she shouted, "Shadow caltrops!" Spikes shot out of the shadows and impaled many of the hollows. The hollows that got damaged disintegrated and the spikes receeded. "I can only do that one or two more times," she said.

Ishimaru created shuriken after shuriken as he lobbed them at the attacking hollows. But, small shuriken were far less than fuuma shuriken, so he started making those instead. He made about five, then lobbed them all at once. Each shuriken took its own path, and destroyed about two hollows each before returning to Ishimaru. "Crap," he said. The hollows wouldn't stop attacking. "It would be a little nice if you HURRIED UP!!" he shouted to Charon.
Sprinkle_Death is offline Add to Sprinkle_Death's Reputation  
Unread 10-16-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
Inbred Chocobo
Bitches love the crown

Inbred Chocobo is the wind beneath your wings. Inbred Chocobo is the wind beneath your wings. Inbred Chocobo is the wind beneath your wings. Inbred Chocobo is the wind beneath your wings. Inbred Chocobo is the wind beneath your wings.
Send a message via AIM to Inbred Chocobo Send a message via Yahoo to Inbred Chocobo

The shadow ones told him to use ranged attacks. He glanced at his crossbow, and took a quick moment to replace the string. He yanked a spare string out of the pouch he carried, pulled off the old one and started to tie the new one on. He had done this thousands of times before, a lot of those time in similiar pressures such as this. Just as the one known as Ishimaru shouted to hurry it up, he finished the repairs. He stuck in the first bolt, aimed at an incoming hollow, then a quick pull of the trigger. The bolt that struck the hollow in the head was glowing feircly as the hollow stumbled backwards and fell down dead.

He was very quick to load the crossbow and continued the process in picking off hollows. He made quick glances constantly to check how Charon was doing as Razma made a quick reload of the crossbow. "How much longer we got Charon?" Razma said as he finished loading another bolt and launching it at a hollow.
Inbred Chocobo is offline Add to Inbred Chocobo's Reputation  
Unread 10-16-2005, 01:22 PM   #7
The Mighty Penguinhead
powerful poultry

Eff continued to chant, his gestures becoming more complex, weaving an ornate pattern of glowing red mystical symbols into something that resembled a stylized coin. Then he stopped. His completed pattern hung in the air before him. He stuck his right hand through the center of the pattern and pointed at the arena. With a loud "Ka-rack!" the glowing symbols collapsed forward toward the tip of his finger, which began to glow. Gargantuan balls of fire began to materialize in the air before him, some of them splitting into smaller globules and some remaining the size of large draft horses. Eff's finger glowed white hot. The angry lich uttered the final words of the spell, a phrase derived from an ancient, extra-planar tongue.
"Deis Lacrimat!!"
The fireballs began to spin, rising higher into the air, then streaked forward in the direction of the central arena, rapidly picking up speed as they roared through the atmosphere...

Last edited by The Mighty Penguinhead; 10-16-2005 at 01:25 PM.
The Mighty Penguinhead is offline Add to The Mighty Penguinhead's Reputation  
Unread 10-16-2005, 01:38 PM   #8
Darshendros
Dracolich Superstar

Darshendros is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via MSN to Darshendros Send a message via Yahoo to Darshendros

"What in the Nine Hells?" Valas inquired as he, and perhaps everyone else in the room, heard the thunderous explosions outside, coming from the direction of the arena. The lich shot a glance to Lord Scoth, who gave a nod and stepped out into the hall, then stepping out of the tower.

The Death Knight would return some moments later, armor clinking as he marched down the hall and back into the room they were all in. "There's some crazed lich flying around, hurling meteors down at the Hollows," he stated.

Valas groaned, knowing exactly who that could be. There weren't many liches in Necropolita, so they generally knew of one another. Valas only knew of one who was insane enough to use devastating spells in the middle of a city. "Eff."

((OoC: Next part will come after the others respond, just incorporate it into your post. Whoever gets the map is whoever posts that they got it first, I guess.))

"There's very little time. You must get moving now, before more Hollows come." Valas produced a rolled up parchment from one of the pockets inside his robes, handing it to one of the assembled personnel. "This is a map of the Lich King's crypt, as well as the tunnels that lead to it. Take care not to get lost underneath the city, as there are horrors that lurk down there that are far worse than anything up here. Lord Scoth and I shall hold the Hollows off as much as we can while we await your success. Perhaps even the Mad Lich, Eff, will join you for the ride."

Shendaros Multi-Planar Network - Won't you be our neighbor?
Worlds currently linked to Shendaros Prime: Draconis, Earth, Eden, Faerun, Gaia, Io, Krynn, Pangeia, Shards, Sol, Terra, Uerth, Zanzibar

The world is Square.

Click my links, and I'll give you a cookie!*

* Offer limited only to those who join sites linked.
Darshendros is offline Add to Darshendros's Reputation  
Unread 10-16-2005, 02:14 PM   #9
Incendius
Magikoopa

Incendius is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via AIM to Incendius Send a message via Skype™ to Incendius

"Che..." Mortis said in annoyance as he viewed the oncoming massive fireballs rushing down on the arena. He had come back here after talking to the General to see if he could find any items left behind by eaten hosts, and also if he was lucky a still uneaten one he could turn into a hollow stronger then the ones presently under his control. "Now I have to waste one of my strongest devices if I want to salvage anything..." He said as he reached behind his wing with his right arm and pulled out out a blue gem the size of his fist.

"This should work"He whispered examining the gem and apraising it. Looking upwards he raised his wing and extended it to its full wingspan. Flapping it backwards and downards he sent a draft of air that stirred up clouds of dust and proppeled him up into the air directly into the path of the oncoming fireballs.

He was a sight to behold. He seemed like a fallen angel as he held the blue gem out in front of him in his hand. The white silvery substance that covered him, and was in fact his skin gave an unearthly hue to his aura. The white feathered wing was remisicent of an angels in all its graceful beauty with its hundreds of long feathered pinions. His mask seemed to add to this image, at first glance. It's white material blended with the rest of his body, but that's where the similarity ends. The visage was terrible to look upon with red eyes glowing from underneath. Even the chip in the mask that showed a mass of brown hair only served to make it more demonic.

"Loserin" He whispered in command as he clenched his fist shattering the blue gem into hundreds of motes of glittering dust. The dust from the gem covered Mortis' body giving the image that he had an aura of blue gently light surounding him. The fireballs did a strange thing in reaction to this. Instead of rushing on haphazardly in all directions they started to roll inwards through the air to one point, that point being Mortis. The waves of fire splashed against him igniting the remains of dust flaring their blue light till it was blinding.

Suddenly with a puff of smoke it stopped. Both the rolling waves of fire had dissapeared along with the glittering motes of the blue gem. Mortis stood unharmed and unfazed with not a burn along his body. He was annoyed, very very annoyed. The device he had expended had been one of his strongest, one he had expent days of effort into creating. Mortis lifted his head looking up towards where the spell had came from. If he could turn the powerful being that had created that into a hollow, it might be worth the effort.

He spotted Eff floating in the air. A lich, a dammed lich. I severaly despise these creatures. He almost screamed in his mind. He should have known it would be a lich, not many other creatures could generate spells of this magnitute. Turning liches into hollows was abnormally hard, the hardest of all being, but he could handle it. No matter I shall make this creature into my minion, and if he proves powerful enough I will keep him. If not I shall simply obliterate him. It shall be worth it when I raid his tomb for all his undoubtable powerful items Mortis thought considerably calmer.

Reaching out his hand he swiped downards opening a rift in the air. He flew through it. Alighting in Hueco Mundo he closed the portal. Waiting a few seconds to regain his bearing he swept his hand downards again opening another portal, this one in the air besides Eff. Flying out he reached his hand forwards intent on touching the skeletal body of the lich, spreading his power through the magical connection into the phlyactery that holds his soul and turning him into a hollow.

- Sun Tzu The art of war

Last edited by Incendius; 10-16-2005 at 04:15 PM.
Incendius is offline Add to Incendius's Reputation  
Unread 10-16-2005, 02:47 PM   #10
The Mighty Penguinhead
powerful poultry

Eff had barely a second to react.
He did the only thing he could do.
He abandoned his mortal shell, his soul retreating to the safety of his phylactry deep within his tower, severing the connection to his body behind him, leaving only an ornately robed, soul-less skeleton falling from the sky above the city.

Damndamndamndamndamn!

It would take hours for his essence to assemble a new body from the spare parts in his lab, and he had left his best equipment behind. He knew the staff would survive, as would his robe and amulet, but those wings weren't exactly sturdy, and there was always the possibility that someone would grab his stuff in his abscence. Eff made a mental note to prepare defenses against the hollows' tranformative touch before venturing out again, and began the slow, arduous process of constructing a new physical form.

Last edited by The Mighty Penguinhead; 10-16-2005 at 04:30 PM.
The Mighty Penguinhead is offline Add to The Mighty Penguinhead's Reputation