The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Dead threads
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 04-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Shin Amakiir
First Axeman of Awesomeland

Shin Amakiir is so pumped up.
Default Considering a PS3

So, I was looking around my gaming area today, and I noticed I haven't treated myself to anything lately. Via a discussion with a friend of mine, I'm intrigued about purchasing a PS3. Now, it's PS3 or 360, 'cause I'm pretty tired of the Wii at the moment (friend has a LOT of parties -.-). Why I'm thinking of a PS3 is because of the Blu-Ray player built in, i.e. more bang for my buck. But what does NPF have to say?
Unread 04-19-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
Sky Warrior Bob
bOB iZ brOkeN

Sky Warrior Bob is a splendid one to behold, except in the mornings. Sky Warrior Bob is a splendid one to behold, except in the mornings. Sky Warrior Bob is a splendid one to behold, except in the mornings.

Well, while there are few fun games on the PS3, right now its more potential than meat, I'm afraid. Looking at titles down the pike, such as the God of War title, two games from the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus guy, a new Jak (& Daxter) game, and of course Metal Gear Solid.

There are system considerations to be made as well. If you go with a 60GB PS3, you'll be nearly 100% compatible with all things PS1/PS2. The 80GB is also backwards compatible, but unlike the 60GB it accomplishes it via software emulation, but it isn't fully up to scratch just yet. Unfortunately, the 60GB has been discontinued because its cheaper to make the 80GB.

Go here to search on the compatibility status of any particular game you're interested in.

The 40GB doesn't offer any backwards compatibility, and can only play PS3 games & Blue-Ray.

There is also a 20GB model out there, and I think it might be backwards compatible (but don't take my word on that). However, its got ports taken off it (can't except SD cards, memory sticks & CF cards), and has fewer USB slots (2 instead of 4). I really don't know much about it, sorry to say... (Like the 60GB, it also has been discontinued.)

I do know that you can replace the HD of any PS3 model, without invalidating the warranty, I just don't know exactly how.

If you do get a PS3, if you're stateside, it might be worth your time to ask if it isn't too late to get the pre-order bonus, with a pre-order of Metal Gear Solid 4. They still had 15 available at my Gamestop store, which I was told was more than they had pre-orders for.

What is the bonus? Well, basically you can pick up a code which will let you download a beta version of Metal Gear Online. It doesn't go live until April 21st, but you can download it now. I think its available at all major retailers, but it might just be Gamestop/EBGames. You also get a stupid DVD, but it isnt' that great & has very minimal new stuff.

Kevin

You are in error. No one is screaming. Thank you for your cooperation.
Yes I know the breakdancing BM link doesn't work, and I don't care.
Sky Warrior Bob is offline Add to Sky Warrior Bob's Reputation  
Unread 04-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
Seil
Super stressed!

Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana.

I like my PS3 for all the things it allows for me to do, the simplified, user-friendly design, and the amount of fun stuff and games that's coming out for it. I'd go for the PS3.
Seil is offline Add to Seil's Reputation  
Unread 04-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
NMR
Whoa...

NMR is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via Yahoo to NMR

I agree with Seil. Get it for everything it offers, unless you want to shell out additional money on the now dominant blue ray. That and if you feel like it, you can install another OS. That and all the titles that are coming out make it even better.

EX: MGS4, LittleBigPlanet, and so on.

But try to get the 60gig model. It has full backwards compatibility, unless you're willing to wait with the 80gig model.
Unread 04-19-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
GARUD
Demon Slayer and Ass Kicker

GARUD has a spectacular disco-style aura about.
Send a message via AIM to GARUD Send a message via MSN to GARUD Send a message via Skype™ to GARUD

The backwards compatibility thing isn't an issue, simply because it still plays PS1 games, and the PS2 is still on the market.

PS3 has a great setup of games, all of which I'm looking forward to, or have already gotten. It has most of the good cross-platform titles like Enchanted Arms and Call of Duty 4, plus with Metal Gear 4 coming out, it's worth it. The Xbox 360 has good points, but the PS3 is very hard to beat, especially since the price has dropped on it, PS Home is coming out, and the library of games has expanded greatly.
Unread 04-19-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
Demetrius
In need of a vacation

Demetrius is like one of those neat quartz stones you find at the beach.
Send a message via AIM to Demetrius Send a message via Yahoo to Demetrius

I would go with the PS3 as well, the benefits are massive and the ability to linux or windowfy it is huge.
~DFM

Wii bishie bishie kawaii baka! ~ Fifthfiend
Demetrius is offline Add to Demetrius's Reputation  
Unread 04-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
Lord of Joshelplex
Sent to the cornfield

Lord of Joshelplex is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via AIM to Lord of Joshelplex Send a message via MSN to Lord of Joshelplex

Plus, it has Uncharted, whis is awesome
Lord of Joshelplex is offline Add to Lord of Joshelplex's Reputation  
Unread 04-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #8
Seil
Super stressed!

Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana.

Quick question - I'm not that great with technical stuff, but I'm wondering about installing another OS on my PS3. Now, what would that entail, and what are the benefits?
Seil is offline Add to Seil's Reputation  
Unread 04-19-2008, 10:59 PM   #9
DFM
Om Nom Nom

DFM can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. DFM can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. DFM can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. DFM can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. DFM can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. DFM can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. DFM can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. DFM can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
Send a message via AIM to DFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Amakiir
So, I was looking around my gaming area today, and I noticed I haven't treated myself to anything lately. Via a discussion with a friend of mine, I'm intrigued about purchasing a PS3. Now, it's PS3 or 360, 'cause I'm pretty tired of the Wii at the moment (friend has a LOT of parties -.-). Why I'm thinking of a PS3 is because of the Blu-Ray player built in, i.e. more bang for my buck. But what does NPF have to say?

I kind of think you should look at the kinds of games you want to play rather than what kind of media it's on unless you seriously fucking need to count the pores on Ricky Bobby's face and you need to do it right the fuck now. But I mean I don't understand why anyone cares about all this HD crap and it's going to be a few years before it takes off, when the majority of people have a high definition TV and want to plunk down the money to replace their DVD collections. At which point you'll be able to pick up a Blu Ray player for like twenty bucks.

If you want to play a lot of JRPG's and like third person action games, you should pick up a PS3, while keeping in mind that there's not actually a whole lot on the system for you to play right out the door.

If you want first/third person shooters and western RPG's then you should get a 360 while keeping in mind that I think basically every game released on it is also released on the PC at some point or another.

Before you buy either you should also remember that 80% of their libraries overlap.

If you're gay you should get a Wii.
[14:26] ManoftheRus: YOU GODDAMN SNEAKY DEE
DFM is offline Add to DFM's Reputation  
Unread 04-20-2008, 12:17 AM   #10
bluestarultor
Blue Psychic, Programmer

bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two.

First off, as the new owner of a 40-gig PS3, I'd recommend the 80-gig model simply to take the guesswork out of emulation. Yes, the PS2 is still being sold right now, but that may not always be the case. Also, Sony is pretty quick to say that not all PS1 games are fully compatible, which means that they haven't tested every last one and need to cover their asses in case some uber-geek sets out to do so and collect when some obscure game from Mars has a pixellated intro.

Aside from that, the fact that it holds more is good in general, and it has more ports. 40-gig only has the two USBs. Overall, the 40-gig will get you there, but it comes off as a disappointment for what it doesn't have, rather than giving you a feeling of triumph for what it does. If you're making a major investment anyway, it's better to have the best, because I can tell you right now that while the second-best is amazing, much more than simply adequate, it just isn't as satisfying emotionally.
I'm gone from here for good. This place gave me many memories to take with me and shaped me greatly. I still care about you guys. I just can't stay.

Journal | Twitter | FF Wiki (Talk) | Projects | Site
bluestarultor is offline Add to bluestarultor's Reputation