The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Dead threads
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 08-25-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
PyrosNine
Zettai Hero

PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier. PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier. PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier. PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier. PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier. PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier. PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier.
Send a message via AIM to PyrosNine Send a message via Yahoo to PyrosNine
Default Let's Play: Golden Sun: Solid 24 Karat Action!

Last time, on the Golden Sun LP on NPF:

Forbidden ruins breaking and entering!

Weird mystical puzzle shit!

Community service for the elderly!

A kidnapping!

A (slightly predictable) plot twist!

The TRUTH. (Old Bastard!)

A giant floating rock!

It's a giant rock!

I know it's a rock, stupid!

Operation GTFO.

Held before a jury of our peers, parents, and some old guy who admitted to frequently seeing one eyed monsters in his time as High Priest.

Gotta Ketchum All! (believe it!)

Kawaii limbless fourth wall breaking!

We return to our heroes, who find travelling through the wilderness, though refreshing to their psynergy, was much harder than Lord of the Rings made it look.

Good Alchemy! how much further are we going to have to walk?

We have...to walk, *wheeze*, as far as the next town. Then, we can buy horse-like things!

And how *pant*, far away is the next town?

Since we haven't lost sight of vale yet, I assume it's a lot farther. The map....it shows an old trade route heading North/South that was around when the map was made 30 years ago, and the elder was sure there'd be a town where it intersects with the mountain pass.

He was sure!?

He also said that they're probably some backwards, non-psynergy using neanderthals, and that we should punch their mouth-breathing leader in the face and assert our dominance should we encounter any hostilities. Or if they don't speak good English. Or if we just want to, because they're different than us and therefore easily abuse-able with our mind-powers.

Right. One of them pulls a blade, I light a bush on fire and set us up as prophets. My only consolation is that traitorous dog, Why? is surely suffering as much leg pain as we are right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diary of Why?

God. This is awkward enough as it is, with those jerks at the lead, but it's bad enough Kraden and Jenna are taking the rear. At first Menardi was sure they were trying to be clever and walk slow for reinforcements from Vale to catch up, maybe even enact some daring plan to escape.

But...it's become clear it's nothing intentional. These two walk as if they were half snail, and run as if they were walking! And their constant complaints!

"Oh why, Why? are you letting them kidnap me!"
"Oh Why?, I'm too old for this sort of adventure!"
"Oh Why?, I broke a nail, and tripped over a particularly thick leaf!"
"Oh Why? My hip is giving me jip!"
"Oh Why?, let me put a saddle on you and call you Black Stallion!"

Though that last line was Menardi. Her idle threat totally not scaring the ever living alchemy out of me, I have thus attempted to keep my unwanted prisoners moving. I have seen the leather whips...

Man, who would have thought that a bunch of people living in isolation at the foot of a sacred mountain wouldn't have it in them for travel?

In some perverse sort of way, being forcefully "rescued" and forced to hike for hundreds of miles to a cold and desolate hellhole was doing me a favor.
-------

Outside Vale, things are obviously harder.

For instance, enemies that were in the Sanctum are appearing outdoors as well, and are a bit tougher. Like these goddam bats, who bite harder, and apparently earn a higher salary as generic assailants on the highway of life.

Furthermore, apparently the release of alchemy not only scatters marketable magical creatures, but also raises the living dead.

I'm doing alright as healer, but if despite my ability to pack mud on open wounds Beef were to suffer a painful "accident", I'd have to walk all the way to Vale and pay that old geezer to revive one of the chosen heroes of the world.

But fortunately, Beef managed to maintain his living status, whilst I managed to keep bat's bitey parts off my neck. At least long enough to reach the next town.

However, just as I was about to enter the town, i was nearly run over by a train of carriages, using suspiciously normal horses and feeling slightly out of theme.

As if to pardon nearly crushing my already aggrieved feet with horses and wheels, the leader of the bunch (I could tell by his snazzy hat) shouted out to us.

Then, I watched him go. He felt important, somehow.
-Then I had a weird vision.

30 miles away:

Yes, there must have been some awfully painful mix up while he was in charge of polishing it.

That disarming pouty face he makes when he's sad will get him anywhere!

Doesn't everybody?

Then, the real subject of my vision came into view. I could feel it, just as I could see the invisible 'hands' of psynergy, and the presence of the strange djinni, I could feel a massive Psynergy stone....

...Making a small crater, missing the caravan by a slim margin.

Seems the explosion of the mountain was far more than just a local event.

And that there's a town to the north of this one called Lunpa.

I wondered if Beef too had seen this vision-

Hey Fred, you know what would be even better than finding this town? GETTING THE FUCK IN THERE.

Apparently not.

Move it! I smell meat pies, taverns, and loose exotic women waiting for some mysterious stranger to mosey into town!

Next time on Golden Sun: The Let's Play:

Token creepy kid, or Token creepy 40 year old fan-service? You decide!

We Get Wepons! (mebbe)

Looting! (You have no choice in this. matter. Do not resist the allure of searching EVERY pot, jar, and barrel. It is inevitable.)

PLOT!

We find out they sold all their horses to some Asian dude!

Son of a BI-*!

Furthermore, as this is technically a restart of the previous, and i'm a new, new LP'er, technically, feel free to make demands! This is YOUR game, I'm just grinding it for you. That, and putting up pictures.

Do you want a video? Do you know where nearby Djinni are? Did I MISS SOMETHING? Should I grind Fred and Beef up to insane levels? Should I explain something?

Have at thee!

Current Works for reading: War Between them, Karma Police.

PyrosNine: Weirdo Magnet Extraordinaire!
PyrosNine is offline Add to PyrosNine's Reputation  
Unread 08-25-2009, 03:22 AM   #2
Ravashak
hm?

Ravashak has a spectacular disco-style aura about.
Send a message via MSN to Ravashak Send a message via Skype™ to Ravashak

The previous version made me start replaying this game (6-5-6-6 Djinni atm), so I want to see what you make of this.

First off, start with the "Token creepy 40 year old fan-service", since I'm wondering what that is.

While there is a Venus Djinni in Vault, it's not possible to get it for quite a while (currently unknown Psynergy needed)
Are you going to make things a tad harder for yourself by adding a handicap?
Possible handicaps: No Artifacts, only Artifact weapons, strange Djinni combinations, no shopping
Ravashak is offline Add to Ravashak's Reputation  
Unread 08-25-2009, 03:32 AM   #3
PCD
Fate Averted

PCD can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. PCD can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. PCD can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. PCD can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. PCD can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. PCD can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch. PCD can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
Send a message via AIM to PCD Send a message via Skype™ to PCD

Using only Artifact weapons is a handicap? I always use those guys as soon as they become available. The extra cool bonus of having them unleash a special attack always made my early-teenage brain assume that they were better than any other weapon, so I just kept it up.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the LP back, regardless of new management. I recommend taking the time to grind your guys up a bit, just for your own ease further down the line. It's always a hell of a pain entering a new area and going "FFF WHAT IS THIS MONSTER OH GOD IT'S EATING MY FACE WHYYY"
PCD is offline Add to PCD's Reputation  
Unread 08-25-2009, 03:52 AM   #4
Ravashak
hm?

True, it's a minor handicap (using in my own game too, I like the unleashes), but there are points where ordinary shop-bought weapons have a pretty decent Attack increase over the artifacts you'll have at that point.

Personally, I'd wait with any significant grinding until the party's full, though. Few things as annoying as having one char die regularly due to being underlevelled compared to the other 3.
Unread 08-25-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
PyrosNine
Zettai Hero

PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier. PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier. PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier. PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier. PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier. PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier. PyrosNine is like Reed Richards, but prettier.

I don't know if we'll be able to get artifact weapons any time too soon, as I think the first town doesn't sell 'em, but when you say not using all artifacts, are you meaning only the non-plot important ones?

On the weapons, typically you'll always have more of an advantage with the special weapon, as the magical or critical that comes with it will always be greater than pure brute force. However, they will show their age pretty quickly. The best thing, I think, is that you can obviously keep multiple weapons, one artifact, one plain, and swap them when need be. On the subject of them sometimes not being powerful enough, near the end of the game, this one or the next, at one point you are given a ludicrously powerful sword while you also have a fairly decent relic, but there was a trick: The relic was several times more likely to "let out a HOWWWLLL!" than any other, so it was way better than a sword that was almost 2x normal damage

Yes, just like the Old Skool FF, and Phantasy Star, you take too many wrong steps down the road (as it's even harder to tell if you've wandered out of the safe zone) and you'll fight something that looks just like what you were just fighting, but a different color. And it will MAUL THE CRAP out of YOU. Furthermore, all new enemies you've never seen before are not to be trusted.

If you want me to try any challenge, everybody weigh in.

Unread 08-26-2009, 12:14 AM   #6
Kerensky287
Just That Good

Kerensky287 is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Kerensky287 is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Kerensky287 is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Kerensky287 is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Kerensky287 is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Kerensky287 is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Kerensky287 is like Reed Richards, but prettier.

I think the combined challenges of writing an interesting LP (which you seem to be doing, given the one chapter I've read) and keeping those messed up names straight are difficult enough. Normal playthrough ho!

...Does "continue into Lost Age" count as a challenge, actually? Because if so, do that.
Kerensky287 is offline Add to Kerensky287's Reputation  
Unread 08-26-2009, 01:14 AM   #7
PyrosNine
Zettai Hero

Yes. If typical forumite apathy can be fought off, Why? will get his own time in the spotlight, and Fred will get a livejournal.

Unread 08-26-2009, 02:51 AM   #8
Ravashak
hm?

Having to use the new names right is far more of a challenge than any equipment restrictions could ever be, so I'm fine with allowing all equipment anyway. Was just tossing a suggestion.

Pyros, do you already know how you'll set up the Djinni? If not, I suggest you just give the chars the Djinni of their own alignment (so Fred gets all Venus Djinni, Beef all Mars ones) until you get at least 4 of each, and at that point look at swapping around a bit.
Unread 08-27-2009, 11:40 PM   #9
PyrosNine
Zettai Hero

I will probably do as you just said, but I will have to swap them around for puzzle reasons eventually, such as special psynergy that can only be gained with certain combinations of djinni.

An update will come soon tomorrow.

Unread 08-28-2009, 02:57 AM   #10
Ravashak
hm?

True, you need to swap an a Venus to another, or a Mars to Fred for Growth, i think it was, to name one.