The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Dead threads
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 07-13-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
Toastburner B
Toasty has left the building

Toastburner B is a name known to all, except that guy. Toastburner B is a name known to all, except that guy.
Send a message via AIM to Toastburner B Send a message via MSN to Toastburner B
Default Demon's Soul: For those of you complaining about how games are too easy.

Atlus is set to release an action-RPG that is reportedly one of the hardest games ever made.

More videos located here and here.

This game has been out in Japan for awhile, but has been a popular import item, as the game comes with a full English option. The handful of western sites that have reviewed it give is solid scores: 8s and 9s..

Normally, when a game's main draw is it's controller-breaking difficulty, I usually pass, but this game does enough unique things that it has me interested. I like the way they have the multiplayer layered into a single-player experience. I have no doubt, given my general skill level, that there will be plenty of Toastburner shaped blood stains populating people's games. At least this time I'll be able to comfort myself with the idea that I'm helping other people beat the game by dying all the time. And from the look of the gameplay it difficulty looks to be the "good" kind, rather than the "cheap" kind.

Does anyone else have their eyes on this?

I came, I saw, I got team-killed. A lot.
Toastburner B is offline Add to Toastburner B's Reputation  
Unread 07-13-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
BitVyper
History's Strongest Dilettante

BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! BitVyper will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday!
Send a message via AIM to BitVyper

Well at least we already know they're wrong.

That said; it looks pretty cool.

It looks like it has some really good ideas for putting the game online without actually making it an MMORPG, which is fantastic. Being pretty much in a fully online environment while retaining feel that what's happening in your game is actually important is double plus good. In fact, it seems like it's enhancing the plot and the epic feel here, rather than detracting from it to the point where it feels basically pointless to even bother caring. This looks like it gives the feel that the game world is populated by other people, but that you're still the hero.

I hope it's still feasible to play the game without other players though.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea is asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace; we've got work to do!"

Awesome art be here.

Last edited by BitVyper; 07-13-2009 at 07:46 AM.
BitVyper is offline Add to BitVyper's Reputation  
Unread 07-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Toastburner B
Toasty has left the building

Toastburner B is a name known to all, except that guy. Toastburner B is a name known to all, except that guy.
Send a message via AIM to Toastburner B Send a message via MSN to Toastburner B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
I hope it's still feasible to play the game without other players though.
From my understanding, it is. From what I remember, you need an item to be able to summon the "phantoms" of other players into your game (or to offer to be summoned into another players game), and what I understand, it is a somewhat rare item. Also, it looks like you have to have a body to be able to summon phantoms to help you, so I daresay during a good chunk of the game you won't be able to summon help anyways.

I came, I saw, I got team-killed. A lot.
Toastburner B is offline Add to Toastburner B's Reputation  
Unread 07-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
Doc ock rokc
...Really?

Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts

I like the concept but to bad its not PC or Xbox. Because i really don't want to buy a ps3 unless its absolutely necessary or i have alot of money to burn.
but I like it. I normally shy away from hard games but sometimes i play games that are made to be unnecessarily hard just to laugh at my misfortune
Doc ock rokc is offline Add to Doc ock rokc's Reputation  
Unread 07-13-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
krogothwolf
Fetched the Candy Cane!

krogothwolf bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. krogothwolf bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. krogothwolf bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. krogothwolf bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. krogothwolf bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. krogothwolf bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted.
Send a message via MSN to krogothwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastburner B View Post
From my understanding, it is. From what I remember, you need an item to be able to summon the "phantoms" of other players into your game (or to offer to be summoned into another players game), and what I understand, it is a somewhat rare item. Also, it looks like you have to have a body to be able to summon phantoms to help you, so I daresay during a good chunk of the game you won't be able to summon help anyways.
I hope its not that silly of a way to get people to join your game, I was totally hoping for co-Op slashing to [play with my friends.

Also you can apparently "force" your way into a game to play competitively. Weird.
║║║╔╗╣╚╝║║║╚╝║║║║╔╗║║║║╚╝║╚╣╔╝
╚╩╩╝╚╩══╩═╩══╝╚╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩═╩╝
krogothwolf is offline Add to krogothwolf's Reputation  
Unread 07-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
Arcanum
Strike the Earth!

Arcanum would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Arcanum would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Arcanum would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Arcanum would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Arcanum would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Arcanum would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Arcanum would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Arcanum would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Arcanum would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was.

Plus it's entirely optional to actually summon the phantasms and watch them die their horrific deaths. You just see the blood stain and have the choice to either activate it or go "oh gee somebody died here, that's neat."

On top of that what I find really interesting is how player phantasms will phase in and out of your world as other players doing their thing in their world. You occasionally see a random ghost run or swing a weapon before vanishing, and you let yourself decide the context of it. You can go with the practical "oh cool someone is at the same spot I'm at" or you can really get into the game and think "shit son this place is haunted."

But yeah, my interest has been growing steadily in this game.

Edit-- Ah yes the co-op aspects, forgot about those. From what I heard it's either up to three people or three other people (something involving three) can be in one world. I know that TB is referring to something I heard before where you can get help from complete strangers. However I'm pretty sure they have support for easy access co-op with friends. I'm not too sure about that though.

Last edited by Arcanum; 07-13-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Arcanum is offline Add to Arcanum's Reputation  
Unread 07-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
mudah.swf
Rocky Wrench

mudah.swf is so pumped up.
Send a message via AIM to mudah.swf Send a message via MSN to mudah.swf

By the way, to be able to be summoned for co-op play you have to die. Really. Dying in this game turns you into a spirit with your max HP cut in half. To get your body back, you have to beat a boss.
mudah.swf is offline Add to mudah.swf's Reputation  
Unread 07-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
Rokrin
Stupidity is an AoE

Rokrin will become famous soon enough. Eventually. Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudah.swf View Post
By the way, to be able to be summoned for co-op play you have to die. Really. Dying in this game turns you into a spirit with your max HP cut in half. To get your body back, you have to beat a boss.

That...actually sounds like an interesting mechanic.

So wait, after you die do they summon you for co-op play and you're at 1/2 HP, or do they summon you for co-op play, you kill a boss, and then you're in? Forgive me but the whole game is just confusing me and it's been a very long day as is.

Gamertag: T4CT
Rokrin is offline Add to Rokrin's Reputation  
Unread 07-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
Niveras
Shyguy

Niveras has a spectacular disco-style aura about.

It's a pretty awesome concept, but how does it fare in terms of scaling? If this thing has a lifetime of months or even years, will you see hundreds, dozens of bloodstains and notes everywhere? Or was that answered in one of the videos and I missed it?

I hope they port or develop a similar game for PC, because I'd love that style of game - no hand-holding, broad choices (in weapons, paths of development, and areas to explore), present circumstances altering the best choice of weapon, etc - but not if I have to buy a PS3 for it.
Niveras is offline Add to Niveras's Reputation  
Unread 07-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #10
mudah.swf
Rocky Wrench

mudah.swf is so pumped up.
Send a message via AIM to mudah.swf Send a message via MSN to mudah.swf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokrin View Post
That...actually sounds like an interesting mechanic.

So wait, after you die do they summon you for co-op play and you're at 1/2 HP, or do they summon you for co-op play, you kill a boss, and then you're in? Forgive me but the whole game is just confusing me and it's been a very long day as is.
As far as I know, when you die you're turned into a Soul, your HP gets cut in half and you lose all the Souls you currently had on you which hurts because Souls serve as both currency and the main way to upgrade your character. Then you can use an item to flag your availibility for Co-op. That's how I think it works. Otherwise play continues as normal.
mudah.swf is offline Add to mudah.swf's Reputation