The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Dead threads
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 12-13-2003, 02:34 AM   #1
Lycanthrope
Deus Lupus

Lycanthrope is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
For those who were there...

Hello, I'm writing an article about the rise of nerd culture, however I was kind of gone for most of the late 90's boom, and really didn't see how much of it came to be. I need some general answers, about how long has being a nerd been socially acceptable, and does anyone have any idea of the extent of it?
"Death to All Fanatics!"

Official RP Action God
Lycanthropic Poem

"FOR YOU THE CAKE IS OVER. YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF CAKE."
-Death

Krylo and BMG are apparently my bitches.
Lycanthrope is offline Add to Lycanthrope's Reputation  
Unread 12-13-2003, 12:15 PM   #2
synkr0nized
synk-ism

synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law.
Send a message via ICQ to synkr0nized Send a message via AIM to synkr0nized Send a message via MSN to synkr0nized Send a message via Skype™ to synkr0nized

You were (and are) what you were/are, and the people who could not accept that were actually the ones with the problem.

However, when considering society as a whole, you may have some evidence to support yourself in that perhaps "nerdy" labeled activities have popped up in more noticeable and public places. I'm thinking it's just like anything that becomes somewhat popular - enough people are doing it that the media and other such cultural outlets pick up on it. Hanging onto what the people like is a sure way to get attention. The more this happens, the more people accept it as part of culture.

If you want to know how that occured, maybe you could try to focus on one such area. Maybe it's due to shifts in management - younger officers of companies/firms. Maybe certain portions of the population are mature enough to get off the high-school clique trend and be more accepting. Maybe there truly has been a shift in what the majority considers normal. Maybe I am not helping, as I just woke up, instead babbling incoherantly! Yaay!

Find love.
synkr0nized is offline Add to synkr0nized's Reputation  
Unread 12-13-2003, 03:24 PM   #3
C-dog
Soft Machinist

C-dog is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

Ack, don't post in such a small font. I'm getting a headache here.

I just guessing as I don't know much about it, but I would say geekiness/nerdiness became acceptable when computers went mainstream. It used to be that computers were for eggheads, and didn't perform any function that normal people would find interesting. As computers became more advanced they were able to process sounds, pics, music, etc, and normal people started to get into it. The media caught on and made it popular.

"Overprotecting intellectual property is as harmful as under protecting it. Culture is impossible without a rich public domain. Nothing today, like nothing since we attained fire, is genuinely new. Culture, like science and technology, grows by accretion; each new creator building on the works of those who came before. Overprotection stifles the very creative forces it's supposed to nurture." - Judge Alex Kozinski
C-dog is offline Add to C-dog's Reputation  
Unread 12-14-2003, 11:53 AM   #4
Muffin Mage
Not quite dead yet!

Muffin Mage is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via AIM to Muffin Mage Send a message via MSN to Muffin Mage

Bill Gates and Windows 95. That's all you need to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS Industries
Here in Hellmouth, OH, the temperature started off at around 60 degrees this morning before suddenly realizing "Oh snap! It's December!" at which point it instantly dropped to 30 degrees and began snowing.
Muffin Mage is offline Add to Muffin Mage's Reputation  
Unread 12-14-2003, 03:54 PM   #5
Patricoo
The Wasteful Mind

Patricoo is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via AIM to Patricoo

Magic: The Gathering

just....Magic: The Gathering

Check out what kind of avatars I can do on DeviantArt.com!
Patricoo is offline Add to Patricoo's Reputation  
Unread 12-14-2003, 10:09 PM   #6
Jack of Spades
Lady Luck is on my side.

Jack of Spades is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Spades

I think that it was Pokemon.
Those mutant freaks made anime a well known genre. (so there's one nerd thing)

They also made a card game that was popular and most of its fans became addicted to other TCG and RPG games because they saw them while shopping for cards.(there's 2 more nerd things)

When kids found out that pokemon and other anime were manga(comics) before they got into manga and comic books.(and that's the big three)
Jack of Spades is offline Add to Jack of Spades's Reputation  
Unread 12-14-2003, 10:21 PM   #7
Mike McC
That went well. Didn't it?

Mike McC is the wind beneath your wings. Mike McC is the wind beneath your wings. Mike McC is the wind beneath your wings. Mike McC is the wind beneath your wings. Mike McC is the wind beneath your wings.
Send a message via ICQ to Mike McC Send a message via AIM to Mike McC Send a message via MSN to Mike McC Send a message via Yahoo to Mike McC Send a message via Skype™ to Mike McC

One cannot discount the role of Final Fantasy 7 in all of this. It made Console RPGs more acceptable to mainstream. Or something.

Whatever.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible." - T. E. Lawrence
"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane." - Nikola Tesla
"Words calculated to catch everyone may catch no one." - Adlai Stevenson
Mike McC is offline Add to Mike McC's Reputation  
Unread 12-14-2003, 10:27 PM   #8
Krylo
The Straightest Shota

Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat].

So far you've all pointed out how each type of nerd each became more mainstream.

The more powerful and more fun computers brought computers into the mainstream.

Final Fantasy 7 made console RPGs more mainstream.

Pokemon, DBZ, the Kids WB, and Cartoon Network, all brought Anime into the mainstream, and the internet allowed people to view other kinds of anime/magna... and as that THAT was already mainstream, more anime phased in over time.

The fact that internet nerds/geeks/whatever you want to call them also had great numbers that played tabletop RPGs on the internet before it became mainstream. This exposed the 'normal' people to tabletop RPGs, and as that the leap from console RPG to tabletop is not that great, it became more accepted (if not to the degree of everything else mentioned.)

You can't really pin the rise of 'nerd culture' on any one thing. Many things, including--but not exclusive to--all of the things already listed here by both myself and others, have accounted for it.
Unread 12-14-2003, 10:33 PM   #9
In Hindsight

And let's not forget the media blitz of the late nineties on 'hackers' and whatnot. The mere fact that the label was mentioned so often opened up a lot of interest, even if the real hackers were misrepresented.
Add to In Hindsight's Reputation  
Unread 12-14-2003, 11:55 PM   #10
synkr0nized
synk-ism

synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law.
Send a message via ICQ to synkr0nized Send a message via AIM to synkr0nized Send a message via MSN to synkr0nized Send a message via Skype™ to synkr0nized

Heh, different examples of how the media exposure given to these things, for their respective reasons/catalysts, have helped propel them into the limelight.

Here's to the power of the media.

Find love.
synkr0nized is offline Add to synkr0nized's Reputation