The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Dead threads
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 05-24-2005, 04:07 PM   #1
Red Fighter 1073
Rocky Wrench

Red Fighter 1073 is a name known to all, except that guy. Red Fighter 1073 is a name known to all, except that guy.
the "REAL" fountain of youth

believe it or not, winning an oscar award or possibly any other very-hard-to-win award increases your life expectancy by around 2 years! there have even been some cases in actors where this has occured. scientists show that winning an oscar greatly increases your self-esteem(obviously..) which then sometimes gives you two extra years in life! you might think this is all bullshit, and i do admit i am A LITTLE skeptical.

also, if my teacher lets me, ill try and borrow the magazine in which the article originated. also, the magazine is called CURRENT SCIENCE.

so everyone, what are your thoughts??
Unread 05-24-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
pictish
I Wish To Become The Gentleman

pictish has a spectacular disco-style aura about.
Send a message via AIM to pictish Send a message via MSN to pictish

To win one of these awards, you gotta be someone famous, up there, big, well known.

Guess who gets treated really well and looked after better than the average guy?

So, why're they exceeding the life expectancy so easily? It's not the award, it's the same that got them the award ^^
Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? This value of science remains unsung by singers, you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age.
pictish is offline Add to pictish's Reputation  
Unread 05-24-2005, 04:15 PM   #3
ChaosMage
Evil Makes Me Smile

ChaosMage is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

Quote:
believe it or not, winning an oscar award or possibly any other very-hard-to-win award increases your life expectancy by around 2 years!
Notice he didn't say just Oscars...any other "hard to win award". Could you define for me? For example, would winning the Intel Science Talent Search extend my life by about two years? How about "Most Likely to Succeed" in my highschool yearbook? Just how hard are we talking, and what awards did they look at to test this correlation? I Googled for the article and couldn't find it, so I look forward to seeing what their methods were when get a hold of the article.
ChaosMage is offline Add to ChaosMage's Reputation  
Unread 05-24-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
Meister
Pure joy

Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Meister slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay!
Send a message via AIM to Meister Send a message via MSN to Meister

I'm thinking Off Topic, more. Moved.
Meister is offline Add to Meister's Reputation  
Unread 05-24-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
Red Fighter 1073
Rocky Wrench

Red Fighter 1073 is a name known to all, except that guy. Red Fighter 1073 is a name known to all, except that guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosMage
Notice he didn't say just Oscars...any other "hard to win award". Could you define for me? For example, would winning the Intel Science Talent Search extend my life by about two years? How about "Most Likely to Succeed" in my highschool yearbook? Just how hard are we talking, and what awards did they look at to test this correlation? I Googled for the article and couldn't find it, so I look forward to seeing what their methods were when get a hold of the article.
oh, sorry for the mix-up. in the article, it specifically states the oscar award as being the "fountain of youth" and is the only life-increasing example in the article.

i just assumed that this idea would work for more things because it seems that getting an oscar isnt the MOST hard-to-get(put any word you feel is suitable, i couldnt find a different/better word)award/achievement.

though, like i said before, the article only speaks of getting an oscar award as being a "life expectancy changer".
Unread 05-24-2005, 05:36 PM   #6
TheSpacePope
Gigity

TheSpacePope has a spectacular disco-style aura about.
Send a message via AIM to TheSpacePope

Maybe you have to go all of the way to the top. I.e. Nobel Prize, Congressional medal of honor, AVN award ;-p, et cetera.
Who knows
Sounds like bullshit to me
Unread 05-24-2005, 06:21 PM   #7
CHICAGO¤lollie
From Another World~

CHICAGO¤lollie is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

I'm with SpacePope on this one. Getting a couple of extra years just by revieving such an award... y`know, seems a little farfetched. Not that living longer because of higher self-esteem isn't possible, motivation to live and whatnot, but really.

Trophie Man: And the Oscar award goes to... THAT GUY WITH THE BOW TIE!
Bow-tie Man: Yes! I win Oscar award!
Trophie Man: YOU LIVE LONGER NOW A+ ! :D

What, are the award trophies covered in Slow Down Dying Please™ spray or something? :B
Unread 05-24-2005, 07:18 PM   #8
Overcast
Cinderella

Overcast bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. Overcast bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. Overcast bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. Overcast bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. Overcast bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. Overcast bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted.
Send a message via AIM to Overcast Send a message via MSN to Overcast Send a message via Yahoo to Overcast

Basicly it's like the oppisite to that of stress and depression. If you have seen a person with alot of stress or depression they age at an accelerated rate. While those with great happiness (hence self esteem) live far longer. Is this understandable?
Unread 05-24-2005, 07:47 PM   #9
ChaosMage
Evil Makes Me Smile

ChaosMage is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

Quote:
oh, sorry for the mix-up. in the article, it specifically states the oscar award as being the "fountain of youth" and is the only life-increasing example in the article.
This kind of science makes me sick. This is finding a correlation between life expentency and winning an Oscar. There is a correlation, not relation.
ChaosMage is offline Add to ChaosMage's Reputation  
Unread 05-26-2005, 11:23 AM   #10
adamark
typical college boy

adamark is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

How did they choose 2 years and not 1 year, 3 years, or 6 months? Did they average up all the actors that won oscars and those who didn't? who cares anyway?
adamark is offline Add to adamark's Reputation