The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Social > Computers & Technology
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 06-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Aerozord
So we are clear

Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was.
Send a message via AIM to Aerozord Send a message via MSN to Aerozord Send a message via Yahoo to Aerozord
WTF Why are Macs so weak?

now just to be clear, this is not about the OS or any of the software or pros and cons of one over the other for actual use, this is strictly about the hardware specs between the two systems.

So I had to get a Mac for work reasons, and while I was shopping I noticed that a PC for the same price completely eclipsed the Mac in hardware. I just cant understand why since the hardware components were from the same companies, intel ATI ect. Suppose the OS could be so incredibly advanced its the reason, but 500 dollars more advanced seems to be stretching that argument.

I am legitimately confused as to why this is, can someone explain?
Unread 06-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
synkr0nized
synk-ism

synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law.
Send a message via ICQ to synkr0nized Send a message via AIM to synkr0nized Send a message via MSN to synkr0nized Send a message via Skype™ to synkr0nized
Default Consider what you are buying, I guess.

Apple thinks quite highly of them, and a lot of consumers are willing to perpetuate that idea.

In fairness, the hardware they do choose is of good quality, and their higher-end devices are decidedly higher-end. If you're looking at the regular Macbooks, the iMacs, and Mac Minis, then yeah they are all kind of a waste of money considering what you can get for that price elsewhere. But their i5/i7 Macbook Pros and Mac Pro towers are quite a different story specs-wise.

So in a sense, you are correct in that you can easily put together a similar machine without the large price tag OR take that same budget and buy better hardware to build a PC or get a PC laptop in many cases. Welcome to being an Apple customer. It's why it's so advantageous to try to get educational discounts, purchase through a department in an institution, and/or sign up to be a "developer" for the one-time discount.

Think of it like Photoshop. It's a quality program, for sure, but so friggin' expensive compared to similar products/competitors. And yet folks always buy it. Apple computers are similar. They run a fairly solid and stable OS built upon a reliable foundation, are made up of solid hardware, and are quite durable and reliable.

Apple's displays are also quite expensive, but they are also some of the nicest displays available.

Find love.
synkr0nized is offline Add to synkr0nized's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
Seil
Super stressed!

Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana. Seil is like, the Tom Brady of NPF.  Okay.  Joe Montana.

I think it's more about buying into the brand than anything else.

That being said, I do prefer PCs moreso than Macs, because I find a PC to be better suited for my purposes. Both are tools and both are meant to serve a purpose. However, the crowd that the Mac attracts are (stereotypically - that word is my insurance policy here) elitist, and willing to pay more for a logo on their MP3 player/Pad/Computer than for Accer, Compaq or any other manufacturer.
Seil is offline Add to Seil's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
synkr0nized
synk-ism

synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law.
Send a message via ICQ to synkr0nized Send a message via AIM to synkr0nized Send a message via MSN to synkr0nized Send a message via Skype™ to synkr0nized
Default Not the best insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seil View Post
However, the crowd that the Mac attracts are (stereotypically - that word is my insurance policy here) elitist, and willing to pay more for a logo on their MP3 player/Pad/Computer than for Accer, Compaq or any other manufacturer.

Let's just not go down that road -- with any brand -- and keep this about the hardware and prices. I will come down on that just as I will if anyone ever uses "M$".

Find love.
Unread 06-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
Aerozord
So we are clear

Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was.
Send a message via AIM to Aerozord Send a message via MSN to Aerozord Send a message via Yahoo to Aerozord

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkr0nized View Post
they have those? crap, I specifically bought this thing to develop on it.
Unread 06-13-2011, 11:58 PM   #6
rpgdemon
Not a Taco

rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years.

I misread this title as "Why are Maces so weak?". I was prepared to come in here, with examples of EXTREME MACE POUNDINGS. Or mention that they were awesome for my priest in WoW before I quit. Way to disappoint.

I even knew that the Mac thread existed, which is why the misread was so silly UTTERLY DISAPPOINTING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard The 5th LW View Post
RPG has total "I told you so" privileges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard The 5th LW View Post
RPG still has total "I told you so" privileges.
rpgdemon is offline Add to rpgdemon's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #7
synkr0nized
synk-ism

Default I look forward to being able to make a company pay for my stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerozord View Post
they have those? crap, I specifically bought this thing to develop on it.
Oh, bummer! It's not there anymore, anyway.

It seems Apple has changed their developer programs at some point in the last year or two (sorry, I haven't kept up with it for a little while). It appears that now their focus is on helping developers get apps in their store(s) and providing technical and similar support instead of maintaining a separate developers' store. I guess a person's best bet now is to hope for a sale or use their university's/institution's store (either through Apple's EDU store or on-site at your local university/college/department).

Find love.
Unread 06-14-2011, 05:11 AM   #8
Fifthfiend
for all seasons

Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare.
Send a message via AIM to Fifthfiend

So far as I can tell the Mac value proposition relies on relatively more qualitative factors like system reliability, OS experience and build quality.

Many people are willing to pay a heavy premium in exchange for Apple's attention to those factors, so Macs cost mo' money.

Also, good and distinct design don't exactly come cheap on Apple's end; a part of that difference in cost is assuredly the result of Apple spending more on those factors than its competitors do. While just as assuredly, a part of it is just the markup you get when you buy a premium brand.

Last edited by Fifthfiend; 06-14-2011 at 05:21 AM.
Fifthfiend is offline Add to Fifthfiend's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 05:17 AM   #9
Professor Smarmiarty
Sent to the cornfield

Professor Smarmiarty isn't just above the law -- they are the law. Professor Smarmiarty isn't just above the law -- they are the law. Professor Smarmiarty isn't just above the law -- they are the law. Professor Smarmiarty isn't just above the law -- they are the law. Professor Smarmiarty isn't just above the law -- they are the law. Professor Smarmiarty isn't just above the law -- they are the law. Professor Smarmiarty isn't just above the law -- they are the law. Professor Smarmiarty isn't just above the law -- they are the law. Professor Smarmiarty isn't just above the law -- they are the law. Professor Smarmiarty isn't just above the law -- they are the law. Professor Smarmiarty isn't just above the law -- they are the law.
Send a message via MSN to Professor Smarmiarty

Like my mum owns a mac because she is a writer and what she needs from a computer is that it always works, it is very simple to use and it is portable as fuck. And Macs provide that pretty well. And that's relaly want you are paying for.
Professor Smarmiarty is offline Add to Professor Smarmiarty's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
Aerozord
So we are clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthfiend View Post
So far as I can tell the Mac value proposition relies on relatively more qualitative factors like system reliability, OS experience and build quality.

Many people are willing to pay a heavy premium in exchange for Apple's attention to those factors, so Macs cost mo' money.

Also, good and distinct design don't exactly come cheap on Apple's end; a part of that difference in cost is assuredly the result of Apple spending more on those factors than its competitors do. While just as assuredly, a part of it is just the markup you get when you buy a premium brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty McBarrelpants View Post
Like my mum owns a mac because she is a writer and what she needs from a computer is that it always works, it is very simple to use and it is portable as fuck. And Macs provide that pretty well. And that's relaly want you are paying for.
I am not talking about the OS, I am just talking about the hardware. Unless you mean to say you feel apple's OS is worth about six or seven hundred dollars.

edit: sorry not worth, I mean did it cost apple about five times as much as microsoft to warrent its excess price tag. again I'm not trying to pick on them, if their system was such a money sink that this is a fair price and not just them trying to appeal to the "its more expensive and thus better" crowd I'm perfectly fine with it. But if its simply a better made system that means they are charging more simply to increase their profit margin.

Last edited by Aerozord; 06-14-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Aerozord is offline Add to Aerozord's Reputation   Reply With Quote