The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Social > Media Consumption
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 01-08-2015, 08:43 AM   #1
tacticslion
Regulator

tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted.
TV Gravity Falls [Possible Spoiler Alert?]

So maybe I missed it and there is an active (ish) thread. I'm tired and sleep deprived, I dunno.

That said, WHY IS NPF NOT TALKING ABOUT GRAVITY FALLS. THIS IS A THING WE MUST DO.

Thank you.

Discuss.

(NOTE: I'm caught up, but others might not be. We maaaaaayyyyyy wish to use spoiler tags?)

You should watch this trailer! It's awesome! (The rest of the site's really cool, too!)

I have a small announcement to make. And another!
tacticslion is offline Add to tacticslion's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
Nique
Niqo Niqo Nii~

Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years.

No idea what this is. Did I miss a big premiere or something?
Unread 01-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
tacticslion
Regulator

tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted.
Default I know, right?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nique View Post
No idea what this is. Did I miss a big premiere or something?
Yes. When I did. In 2012.

Season 2 is currently in the making.

I really don't know why it's not bigger than it is.

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

I mean, holy crap, it's great.

To be clear, this is something I only recently came across.

Yes: it's a Disney cartoon.

Yes: it follows the "spooky" adventures of twelve year old twins who are with their great uncle Stan (a huckster, thief, and cheapskate), and yes, it's got all the hallmarks of "been there, done that a bajillion times in the past"... but it's done well, and is exceptionally fun.

The mystery is... well, it's fascinating, the ride is hilariously great, and the characters are downright lovable (especially Mabel, as she's secretly the best, as is Soos, and Grunkle Stan... also Dipper, though that's kind of not a secret, and Wendy's pretty cool, I guess, and certainly gets much better).

Also Bill Cipher.

Also, also MABEL CAN'T BE THE LLAMA, 'CAUSE SHE'S THE SHOOTING STAR, BUT SHE'S TOTALLY THE LLAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~~!!

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Here's the thing: the scripting? It's tight. I mean tight.

The entire first season was clearly planned from beginning to end. You can watch all the clues and tidbits from the last episodes from the very first episode. Nothing is wasted, and there are incredibly depths to mine little gems from. SPOILER: You can watch the "results" of episode nine way back in episode one (and two, and so on), for example... both of which are episodic in their own way.

The first episode is... well, it's hilarious, but it's not great - not great enough to be "AMAZING" kind of tv.

To me, that didn't happen until episode four.

Then I watched episode four. Holy. Crap. 'dat Ending.

... of course, it's an ending that, if you haven't been paying attention, doesn't really mean all that much, other than being kind of cool and a throw-away. If, on the other hand, you've been paying attention, and getting into "the mystery", it becomes a 'dat Ending...

The brilliance of the show, to me, however, is that it doesn't matter matter. You can watch it either way and leave entirely satisfied.

Beyond that, they actually have good morals to teach that are enjoyable instead of anvilicious or preachy.

... also, there's Animaniacs-style "totes for adults" stuff in there, but it's... much more subtle about it than that show.

As an example, it's got some pretty daggum dark elements to it for a kids' show (which, make no mistake, it's supposed to be), some of which are glossed over, but glossed over in a way that kids will agree with and feel good about but which are more insidious... for adults to contemplate, which is also encouraged by the show itself.

As the creator Alex Hirsch said, his favorite "jokes" are the ones that aren't really jokes - "the 'set-up' is 'life' and the 'pay off' is 'terror'." and that really does exist in the show... if you want it to. (Citation forthcoming. right now, suckah!)

Season 1 was created from June 15, 2012 through August 2, 2013. That... is a long time for 20 episodes to come out.

Season 2 started on August 1, 2014, and has gotten up to episode 9 (out of a presumed 20).

They've also released seventeen "shorts" - which are also amazing in their own way, and entirely worthwhile (they are entirely not-serious).

All of it highly recommended. If you want to wait until the mystery is resolved... I'd understand, but I recommend against it.

EDIT: Guess what I just found! Doug Walker Vlogs! (Spoilers, it seems! Big ones! Woof!)

EDIT: THEME SONG GOODNESS!

You should watch this trailer! It's awesome! (The rest of the site's really cool, too!)

Last edited by tacticslion; 01-08-2015 at 11:04 AM. Reason: tags and title - not for my car! :P; and later for links
Unread 01-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
Aerozord
So we are clear

Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Aerozord would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was.
Send a message via AIM to Aerozord Send a message via MSN to Aerozord Send a message via Yahoo to Aerozord

ok I only skimmed but I am told this show is great, but you know, unstable schedule. Is there any way to view this online? Yes I am asking about legal methods.
Unread 01-08-2015, 03:05 PM   #5
mauve
So Dreamy

mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. mauve has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare.

I've heard good things and have enjoyed the few episodes I've been able to watch, but haven't really pursued watching the whole series. I agree, it's got good writing and fun characters, and the shorts (which are on youtube) are a hoot (no maracca-owl pun intended). I've seen a lot of discussions about the deeper meanings to the mysteries of the show, with fans breaking down the clues, secret messages and mystical imagery scattered throughout.
Unread 01-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #6
Nique
Niqo Niqo Nii~

Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. Nique has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years.

Kriste Schal? Nick Offerman?

The voices!
Unread 01-09-2015, 02:10 AM   #7
tacticslion
Regulator

Default So I'm kind of obsessed right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerozord View Post
ok I only skimmed but I am told this show is great, but you know, unstable schedule. Is there any way to view this online? Yes I am asking about legal methods.
Yes, you can purchase them on Amazon instant video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauve Mage View Post
I've heard good things and have enjoyed the few episodes I've been able to watch, but haven't really pursued watching the whole series. I agree, it's got good writing and fun characters, and the shorts (which are on youtube) are a hoot (no maracca-owl pun intended). I've seen a lot of discussions about the deeper meanings to the mysteries of the show, with fans breaking down the clues, secret messages and mystical imagery scattered throughout.
The shorts are entirely worthwhile. They add so much to the universe without either detracting from or really adding to the plot. Thus, it seems like they'd be pointless filler, but... they're not. They're just really well made and hilarious shorts.

Everything else is... impressively thought out. Though there is a pretty great example of the creator, realizing a popular fan theory, "accidentally leaking" a scene that flat-out confirms the fan theory... only to show the same scene with altered art in the show, that entirely negates the fan theory. Heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nique View Post
Kriste Schal? Nick Offerman?

The voices!
Are GREAT! All of them! And Hirsch does two of them himself! ... a fact that I didn't realize until after I saw him at ComiCon! (Video only, I couldn't go there myself).

---------- Post added 01-09-2015 at 02:10 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-08-2015 at 07:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerozord View Post
Also, something I didn't respond to earlier: as I noted in my opening post (I know, you skimmed, that's cool, thus I'm repeating):

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Season 1 was created from June 15, 2012 through August 2, 2013. That... is a long time for 20 episodes to come out.

Season 2 started on August 1, 2014, and has gotten up to episode 9 (out of a presumed 20).
Episode 10 is expected sometime this month or the next. I'm guessing that season 2 is going to run until next year, around June to August. It's... an interminably long time, I've gotta say. I'm not sure if Gravity Falls is getting the support from Disney it needs, or if it just takes some time to create and plot the intricacies that they're doing - because they are doing some amazing intricacies.

My fear is that it may... ruffle too many Disney executives' feathers. They've already touched on a number of Disney-related tropes semi-critically, including (off the top of my head) "manufactured" pop-musicians, the National Treasure films, and others. While Disney has recently undercut some of their own messages in film and such, Gravity Falls has pushed that ever-so-slightly in other directions, which I hope that no one takes badly. Added to that is the fact that, in the cartoon, people actually die. Gruesomely (though often off-screen, or lacking gore). Fairly often.

Further fueling my concern is the fact that it was moved off of the Disney Channel proper, and onto Disney XD. That might not mean anything, but the fact that it was channel-moved makes me... worried, albeit not too much, as they do seem to be getting support from fandoms.

Still, I really like the show and hope it does well.

Last edited by tacticslion; 01-09-2015 at 06:10 AM. Reason: TEH TITLES
Unread 01-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
tacticslion
Regulator

TV Showing it to my wiiiiiiiiiiiiife!

She likes it a lot!

It's interesting to go back through it a second time and actually begin to pick up on things that I missed before.

It's worth noting that one of the cooler elements of the series is entirely ignored by me earlier because I don't work at it: it actually has hidden codes and ciphers within the show itself, with clues throughout that you can catch to decode the messages and find out what they say. Some are mysterious hints, some are simple jokes, some are relatively straightforward (such as the first episode's), and one notable one tells you that the particular episode you just watched is entirely non-canon.

Despite the fact that I don't have the time and energy to search through and decode the things myself, it's actually a really cool bit of work added to the series!

Unread 01-14-2015, 02:36 PM   #9
tacticslion
Regulator

TV Fan-fun, and the official opening

So... SPOILERS AHOY! Exceedingly minor ones, but still!

ANIME ADAPTATION (short scene)

COMPARISON WITH THE ORIGINAL

=======
The anime thing actually adds a few scenes at the end (the whole flashback sequence, and the eating of the taco, where the comparison ends); in the actual show, the scene ends where the actual show part ends, but transitions to actually dropping her off at her house. {it's a super-minor spoiler}
=======

TALK DIPPY TO ME!

16-BIT REMIX

ACTUAL OPENING IN HIGH DEF!

MEGA-SUPER-DUPER UBER SPOILER; NOT MINOR AT ALL:

Bill's Wheel decoded!

To let you know, not everything in the above video is 100% accurate - some things are guesses, and others don't make much sense (at least at present), but some of that is because, frankly, this was made really early in the show's run - they didn't have all the information to go off of, and yet it still mostly holds up now.

Basically, there are a few relatively minor (but potentially plot-significant) questionably notes on the wheel itself. The rest of it is great though!

Last edited by tacticslion; 01-14-2015 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Explaining the anime thing
Unread 01-14-2015, 03:15 PM   #10
Tev
Funka has spoken!

Tev INVENTED reputation, you know! Tev INVENTED reputation, you know! Tev INVENTED reputation, you know! Tev INVENTED reputation, you know! Tev INVENTED reputation, you know! Tev INVENTED reputation, you know! Tev INVENTED reputation, you know! Tev INVENTED reputation, you know!

Much like Nickelodeon tried its level best to kill off Avatar: LoK by shifting its viewing schedule around, moving it online, and soft-launching a whole season with no fanfare at all; Disney is handling Gravity Falls the same way. My wife and I have been avid fans since back in 2012, and it's getting ridiculous how hard Disney is making it to follow this series. We have a DVR and we still find we miss new episodes or go for months without new content.

Otherwise, yeah. Gravity Falls is pretty awesome. It has just the right amount of humor and positive messaging along with characters that are well developed and fun to watch. I look forward to owning it all at some point, once this season end and they start selling DVD box sets or something.

I have spoken.
Tev is offline Add to Tev's Reputation   Reply With Quote