The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Social > Playing Games
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 10-03-2015, 08:08 AM   #1
Overcast
Cinderella

Overcast bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. Overcast bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. Overcast bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. Overcast bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. Overcast bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. Overcast bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted.
Send a message via AIM to Overcast Send a message via MSN to Overcast Send a message via Yahoo to Overcast
Default Undertale is breaking my heart.

Since we have a pretty hefty group of at least former Homestuckers you folks may be familiar with Toby Radiation Fox, he was one of the most prolific and ultimately the leading man in many of the Homestuck albums and was pretty consistently my favorite dude on the tracks. Maybe you were aware of him before Homestuck, in that case good for you.

You'd know about his enjoyment of Earthbound, how he made a Romhack for it once upon a time, and has made music remixes of its tracks before.

Back in 2013 he tossed out a kickstarter for him to make a game called Undertale, wanted only $5000, met that very shortly after and worked all the way up to around 50k. It was delivered as a game where you didn't have to kill anyone, which had a unique combat system where you had to defend yourself by dodging like a Touhou topdown shooter. Attacking would still be an option, but would come with some measure of reflection on someone who uses violence to solve their problems. It also boasted some degree of 4th wall leaning, with the idea of EXP, LVL, and Saving being concepts that are more than just mechanics but a part of the world itself.

With no doubt they delivered on all fronts with their mission statement, and have put out a powerful RPG that if you can get into its mechanics may well touch you as deeply as it has touched me. As well as delivering that historically pretty damn good Tobyfox tunes.

I honestly don't want to say anything more about it, but the demo is free online at their main website, it is also hilariously tiny. So try it out, and for god sakes if you enjoy it drop some dollars on it.

This game deserves all the attention and praise I can toss at it.
Unread 10-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
Revising Ocelot
Douchebag

Revising Ocelot would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Revising Ocelot would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Revising Ocelot would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Revising Ocelot would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Revising Ocelot would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Revising Ocelot would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Revising Ocelot would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Revising Ocelot would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Revising Ocelot would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was.

Bullet hell and shmups are not my thing, so I'm avoiding. But I may have gifted it to a few people. I would pretty much describe it as a Homestuck RPG in how it gets meta about gaming concepts, but luckily with none of the actual bullshit of Homestuck itself. (plus, y'know, that actual Homestuck game will probably end up never getting made, chalk up another KS failure)
Unread 10-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
Loyal
Making it happen.

Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Loyal has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare.
Send a message via AIM to Loyal Send a message via MSN to Loyal Send a message via Skype™ to Loyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolving Ocelot View Post
(plus, y'know, that actual Homestuck game will probably end up never getting made, chalk up another KS failure)
Not to give any credit to the productivity of Homestuck, but allegedly the money was legit stolen. Which is rather unfortunate, to say the least.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Tumblr. Twitter. Feel free to follow.
3DS Friend Code: 4441-8226-8387

Loyal is offline Add to Loyal's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2015, 05:29 PM   #4
Revising Ocelot
Douchebag

Revising Ocelot would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Revising Ocelot would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Revising Ocelot would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Revising Ocelot would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Revising Ocelot would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Revising Ocelot would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Revising Ocelot would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Revising Ocelot would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. Revising Ocelot would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was.

Precisely what I was referring to, actually.
Unread 10-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #5
Overcast
Cinderella

Overcast bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. Overcast bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. Overcast bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. Overcast bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. Overcast bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. Overcast bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted.
Send a message via AIM to Overcast Send a message via MSN to Overcast Send a message via Yahoo to Overcast

To be fair to the game Ocelot, the bullet hell concepts therein are not quite like hard mode japan level stuff. It requires some thought and responsiveness, but overall with a few exceptions it isn't horribly difficult. Even if it isn't your thing I'd still suggest trying out the demo to see if it hooks you.

I'd try to distance it a bit from Homestuck if I could though it is just where I know Toby from. The way he executes his method of meta bullshit is less complicated and awkward on the surface, but includes a depth that is comparible to Dark Souls. Though instead of delivering it via relics and flavor textits presented as very floaty self awareness that comes across in multiple attempts and playthroughs. Only you and two other characters are particularly aware of the game elements after all, so a lot comes from the main character his or herself.
Unread 10-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #6
Nikose Tyris
Trash Goblin

Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday!
Send a message via AIM to Nikose Tyris Send a message via MSN to Nikose Tyris Send a message via Yahoo to Nikose Tyris Send a message via Skype™ to Nikose Tyris

I would like to personally and publically thank RO for ruining my life with this game.
Nikose Tyris is offline Add to Nikose Tyris's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #7
Overcast
Cinderella

See, you should totally play it.
Unread 10-04-2015, 09:03 PM   #8
Solid Snake
Erotic Esquire

Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way.
Send a message via AIM to Solid Snake

Unfortunately, I watched a Let's Play of it before adding it to my wishlist (and thanks for the gift, RO!) so it's a little frustrating to actually have a major twist in the prologue spoiled for me...I'd strongly recommend, well, *not* spoiling it if you can avoid doing so.

Regardless, I'm probably going to try a 'Dark Neutral' playthrough where I just barely skirt the line above pure evil first, then go back a second time and do all the right things.
The first time will be tragic, but it should be: I'll play it like I play every other RPG first for maximum impact.
Unread 10-04-2015, 09:31 PM   #9
Overcast
Cinderella

Pretty good. Mild spoiler if you end up seeing the words, "But nobody came." when you get a random encounter you have gone too far. This is important if you want to not go full evil, there are things about the genocide path that are...irreversible.
Unread 10-05-2015, 09:28 AM   #10
Arhra
Ara ara!

Arhra is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Arhra is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Arhra is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Arhra is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Arhra is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Arhra is like Reed Richards, but prettier. Arhra is like Reed Richards, but prettier.
Send a message via AIM to Arhra
Default Also 'Why aren't you smiling? You're going to be free.'

I definitely recommend going for a neutral playthrough first. Makes the Undyne fight INTENSE.

I... I'm a monster.