The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Dead threads
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 12-18-2004, 01:12 AM   #1
miickEe
Goomba

miickEe is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Default How to stay clean of Trojans.

hey hey

I am still really pissed off about this. I have many, many antivirus and firewall programs protecting me, including taking that extra precaution of replacing IE with Mozilla. To name one, I am running BitDefender Professional Plus 8, which is one of the best programs I have come accross. It blocks all of the other viruses, without infecting my pc, which sounds bloody obvious, hence "Anti-virus", but every other program I have used puts it's tail in-between it's legs and cries "YOU'RE FUCKED!".

Anyway, my computer specs are pretty good, and should not be running sluggish. Its an AMD 64 3200+ with 768MB RAM. What pissed me off, was that the only programs I was running was MSN and Winamp, and it started huicupping and fucking itself over. It was running at least at 97% CPU usage. I quickly checked all my virus updates, all updated. Somehow, after scanning all my drives, I've been infected with 8 trojans. HOW?!

Anyway, getting rid of them is easy enough, but I would like ot know how any of you keep these mutant-trojans from reaching your PC, as they seem to infect it even with the protection I have incorporated. If anyone could help me, I would be very thankful.

miicKEe.
miickEe is offline Add to miickEe's Reputation  
Unread 12-18-2004, 10:10 AM   #2
C-dog
Soft Machinist

C-dog is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

I don't know how to keep them off. The thing is, viruses evolve first, then someone identifies it and puts it in an update. I run AVG antivirus and I scan (manually) every couple weeks. There's always one or two damn viruses on my drive. It's just something you have to deal with. The only way to keep them off is to stay off the net (yeah right). It'll help if you stay away from illegal sites (program cracks, etc.) and pr0n sites. I don't use P2P filesharing that often, but I bet that's high risk too. You could also go all out and run Linux. Hardly any viruses attack Linux.

Defragment your drive. That causes a lot of slowdown. A LOT of slowdown. You probably knew that already though.

"Overprotecting intellectual property is as harmful as under protecting it. Culture is impossible without a rich public domain. Nothing today, like nothing since we attained fire, is genuinely new. Culture, like science and technology, grows by accretion; each new creator building on the works of those who came before. Overprotection stifles the very creative forces it's supposed to nurture." - Judge Alex Kozinski
C-dog is offline Add to C-dog's Reputation  
Unread 12-18-2004, 10:39 AM   #3
ChaosMage
Evil Makes Me Smile

ChaosMage is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

First off, this probably belongs in the Computer Help Thread.

Second, preventative measures are what it needs. (See my signature). Also, make sure you're using Firefox and not the Mozilla Suite, the Suite can be just as bloated as IE.

Third, I'd recommend dumping BitDefender for Norton Anti-Virus or McAfee Anti-Virus, using Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware for your Trojans, and Zone Alarm for your firewall. A quick look at Bit Defender's reviews leads me to believe its not great as a Firewall or Antispam, and its anti-virus qualities are only bare bones.
ChaosMage is offline Add to ChaosMage's Reputation  
Unread 12-19-2004, 01:51 AM   #4
Omega
Back from the dead

Omega is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via MSN to Omega

When i read this title all i could think of is
1: Dont travel back in time
2: Use another condom brand.

but seriously use zone alarm .. it works
Omega is offline Add to Omega's Reputation  
Unread 12-19-2004, 07:18 PM   #5
ganon
HA! This time *I* win!

ganon is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via AIM to ganon Send a message via MSN to ganon Send a message via Yahoo to ganon

When I read the title what I thought of was that one time Trojans came to my house, I was all, "What the...why are you guys here?" And they were like, "We're heard you don't use an antivirus, so we came to pay you a visit, along with some friends." They proceded to wreak havoc on my comp until I gave in and downloaded a free antivirus. It was then that I realized that the Trojans didn't bring a few friends, they brough about 60 of them. The moral of the story? Trojans are very popular people, but they realy don't like computers, and they use everything at their disposal to destroy every last one of them.

If I had a dollar for every time I had sixty cents I would be Canada $_$

Best site EVER!!!
ganon is offline Add to ganon's Reputation  
Unread 12-20-2004, 01:55 AM   #6
Michael Morris
Usually Lurking

Michael Morris has a spectacular disco-style aura about.
Send a message via ICQ to Michael Morris Send a message via AIM to Michael Morris Send a message via MSN to Michael Morris Send a message via Yahoo to Michael Morris

Quote:
Seven Steps to Safer Computing:
1) Spybot Search & Destroy
2) Ad-Aware
3) Zone Alarm
4) Firefox, and never use Internet Explorer again. (except 7 *grumble*)
5) A decent anti-virus package, such as Norton or McAfee.
6) Stop using Outlook. Thunderbird is better.
7) Windows Update
Five Steps to safer computing
  1. L
  2. I
  3. N
  4. U
  5. X
Michael Morris is offline Add to Michael Morris's Reputation  
Unread 12-20-2004, 03:12 AM   #7
Elder_Monkey
Lord of all Monkies

Location: in the densest part of the void where the demon monkies dwell
Elder_Monkey is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

ppl Zone Alarm and Mozilla or Firefox... get them...

theres nothing u can say to justify still using IE, IE sucks thats the simple matter of fact and ppl STILL using it and wondering why they have trojans on their com are the dumbests piece's of shit the world has ever seen, really if ur gonna use IE these days its like getting a big sign plastered above ur computer saying "HEY LOOK IM A TURD FOR BRAINS WHOS STILL USING IE COME ON HACKERS FILL ME WITH VIRUSES TO COMPLETELY FUCK UP MY COM I OBVIOUSLY DONT CARE OR ID HAVE STOPPED USING THIS PIECE OF FILTH THAT PASSES FOR A BROWSER A LONG TIME AGO"

if you use IE u WILL get hurt, and those of you who continue to do so even AFTER u know of firefox... well you shouldnt even ba allowed access to the internet... also i just hope u dont get ur come fucked up... too badly...

so beware a chewed on spleen for it soon could be yours i gnaw upon...MUHAHAHAHA
Elder_Monkey is offline Add to Elder_Monkey's Reputation  
Unread 12-20-2004, 04:11 AM   #8
Lucerin Red

my advice would to not accept giant wooden animals as gifts, or to burn them upon recieval

but actually, I really for one advise againts zone alarm, I tried to remove it once just so I could use another program, and it locked all my system up
Add to Lucerin Red's Reputation  
Unread 12-20-2004, 04:36 AM   #9
Michael Morris
Usually Lurking

Michael Morris has a spectacular disco-style aura about.
Send a message via ICQ to Michael Morris Send a message via AIM to Michael Morris Send a message via MSN to Michael Morris Send a message via Yahoo to Michael Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder_Monkey
ppl Zone Alarm and Mozilla or Firefox... get them...

theres nothing u can say to justify still using IE, IE sucks thats the simple matter of fact and ppl STILL using it and wondering why they have trojans on their com are the dumbests piece's of shit the world has ever seen, really if ur gonna use IE these days its like getting a big sign plastered above ur computer saying "HEY LOOK IM A TURD FOR BRAINS WHOS STILL USING IE COME ON HACKERS FILL ME WITH VIRUSES TO COMPLETELY FUCK UP MY COM I OBVIOUSLY DONT CARE OR ID HAVE STOPPED USING THIS PIECE OF FILTH THAT PASSES FOR A BROWSER A LONG TIME AGO"

if you use IE u WILL get hurt, and those of you who continue to do so even AFTER u know of firefox... well you shouldnt even ba allowed access to the internet... also i just hope u dont get ur come fucked up... too badly...
Calm Down Beavis...

Each browser has it's strengths and weaknesses. IE's security weakness is Active X. Version 6.1 (XP service pack 2) is much tighter on what controls it will - and will not - execute; but it will still be a long while before Microsoft finds and plugs all the holes if they ever do.

There are times when IE is useful. The AdminCP of Vbulletin is written with IE in mind. I use IE to administrate messageboards and test their output since I know 90% of my audience will be using IE. I use Firefox for virtually all my other browsing.

Firefox is more secure - but not infallible. For one, it's less tolerant of sloppy code than IE. Improperly closed div and table tags can give Firefox a migrane while IE will display them "correctly" (Technically it shouldn't but it does: the argument can be made that this is a bad thing since it encourages poorly written HTML).

Both browsers are vulnerable to script attacks, particularly reflexive form attacks and cookie exploits. If you think Firefox is immune to this nonsense you are kidding yourself.

Neither browser correctly displays CSS2, but no browser has yet. IE is the closest to the bunch to being compliant to this standard, but it's still a ways off. Ironically, I predict that Firefox 2 and (if Micro$oft bothers, IE 7) will jump straight to CSS3, bypassing 2 altogether.

IE's pre-eminence is going to be here for awhile if, for no other reason, it is Windows' default browser. Firefox will probably become the Linux defacto - it's already packed in with some distros.

The browser wars are over, but the next OS wars may be heating up. The reigning champ and heavy favorite, Micro$oft is gearing up Longhorn - the most massive Windows to date. It's been predicted that this behemoth may not run on any current machines well, forcing everyone to upgrade just as Windows 95 did. Unfortunately for Microsoft, a lot of Win 95 buyers where first time - that was the wave that came along with the Internet. Longhorn won't have a similar lure. The scrappy challenger, Linux, may pick up users in the vacuum Longhorn will leave behind - folks who want to upgrade their OS but who do not necessarily want (or need) a new computer. Also, at $40 off the shelf (free download), Linux beats M$ easily in the price. The problem is ease of use. Linux is not fully as fully automated as Windows - though some distros are getting there. If they arrive at that point as Longhorn comes out there could be some serious fur flying.

Meanwhile, if you really want to blame someone for IE's ascendancy - blame Pukescape / Crapscape / Netscape. Netscape 4.0 is solely responsible for IE taking control - to date it remains the most glitchy, tempermental, crash prone Piece of Crap ever inflicted on the net. Netscape 4 ignored every W3C standard on the books and to this day mention of it raises a shiver for experienced net-coders.
Michael Morris is offline Add to Michael Morris's Reputation  
Unread 12-20-2004, 09:16 AM   #10
Gorefiend
That Guy

Gorefiend has a spectacular disco-style aura about.
Send a message via AIM to Gorefiend Send a message via MSN to Gorefiend

Really, there's one glaring hole you missed there. Windows Update. Necessary to keep your computer working and up to date, and it requires IE. All those otehr strengths you said, nice.

And, trust me, Zone Alarm is good. I have several programs that I've never heard about (Inicio(start, like the start button).exe, anyone?) and can't find anywhere that I've blocked. Anyone here heard of Process 1692? (The filemane is wmon32. It's probably a virus.)

Anyways, yes, get a better Anti-Virus. In my experience, the only good thing about those free aniviruses is, well, that they're free. A friend of mine has tons of trojans and viruses in his computer that Adaware finds. ADAWARE, for god's sake! And AVG forces him to eliminate them through it. Of course, it finds nothing.

Heck, pay heed to ChaosMage's sig. It helps. And get Stinger. Look for Stinger on google. It'll help.

"Environmental laws were not passed to protect our air and water... they were passed to get votes. Seasonal anti-smut campaigns are not conducted to rid our communities of moral rot... they are conducted to give an aura of saintliness to the office-seekers who demand them." - Frank Zappa, prelude to Joe's Garage

Ever wonder THE TRUTH ABOUT BLACK HELICOPTERS?
Gorefiend is offline Add to Gorefiend's Reputation