The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Social > Playing Games
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 04-02-2017, 12:16 AM   #11
RickZarber
Please Be Well

RickZarber is like Reed Richards, but prettier. RickZarber is like Reed Richards, but prettier. RickZarber is like Reed Richards, but prettier. RickZarber is like Reed Richards, but prettier. RickZarber is like Reed Richards, but prettier. RickZarber is like Reed Richards, but prettier. RickZarber is like Reed Richards, but prettier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauve Ma-- Wait No WIZARD Yeah Mauve Wizard View Post
.....dammit Zarber.
Moi? I am all innocence, I'm sure.

The demo is ready!

Since Dropbox dropped their direct linking support, you gotta left-click or open in new tab/window to get to these. Right-click & Save Link As will not work. If you don't have a Dropbox, you don't need one, just click "no thanks" at the bottom when it asks you to log in, then download the file. Unzip, and you're ready to go; no installation required or anything.

Windows Version (162 MB)

OS X Version (163 MB)

Linux Version (166 MB)

HTML-Only (web browser version for any OS) (155 MB)

I would recommend checking out the options menu before starting a new game. Specifically, the keybindings can be entirely customized, you can set volume levels, switch to fullscreen (the game renders at a native windowed 1280x720), or turn on floaty names above NPCs if you desire that. It also supports game pads; if you press a button on your controller, the button-binding options should show up next time you go to the options menu. If, like me, sometimes upon boot-up your computer struggles with the music, just hit F5 to reboot the game, and keep doing it until the music plays properly.

So yeah, the demo's still a little rough around the edges; plenty of characters are lacking portraits next to their dialogue (or have temporary art), quests end abruptly, lots more flavor text to add, and there's still an XP / leveling system in place, which I plan on getting rid of in favor of something more original. But! all the places are... in place, all the characters have their dialogue trees, and there are secrets to find!

Can you learn a special move?
Can you get refused service at the pub?
Can you find that which should never be gazed upon?
Can you find all $151 in the demo?
Can you get one or all of the characters to level 2?

Please let me know your thoughts, as feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by RickZarber; 04-07-2017 at 12:33 AM.
RickZarber is offline Add to RickZarber's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #12
The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk
War Incarnate

The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk's Avatar

The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier. The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier. The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier. The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier. The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier. The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier. The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier.
Send a message via MSN to The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk

It keeps crashing on me upon leaving the house. Undefined typeline or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azisien View Post
"ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAR I AM A GIANT SPACE TURTLE!!!"
PSN - Hawk_of_Battle
The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is offline Add to The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #13
phil_
Just sleeping

phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops.
Send a message via AIM to phil_ Send a message via Skype™ to phil_

;_; It ain't there, I checked.

Nice title screen, though. Good music.
Unread 04-02-2017, 03:03 PM   #14
RickZarber
Please Be Well

RickZarber is like Reed Richards, but prettier. RickZarber is like Reed Richards, but prettier. RickZarber is like Reed Richards, but prettier. RickZarber is like Reed Richards, but prettier. RickZarber is like Reed Richards, but prettier. RickZarber is like Reed Richards, but prettier. RickZarber is like Reed Richards, but prettier.

Phil, I don't understand this. It's supposed to be looking for $RickZarber1.png, which totally is there, and is the format required for an individual 3x4 sprite sheet, so I don't know why it can't find it. I've got an Ubuntu boot disc somewhere around here, so I'm gonna see if I can't troubleshoot this.

Hawk, which version are you using?

I've tested the Windows version on two different computers and I haven't gotten any errors, so I'm kinda confused here.

Last edited by RickZarber; 04-02-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Unread 04-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #15
Kyanbu The Legend
Local Rookie Indie Dev

Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero.
Send a message via MSN to Kyanbu The Legend

Very cool! can't wait to see it finished, will have to try out the demo (windows version) later along with going back and reading through the old comic.
Unread 04-02-2017, 04:35 PM   #16
phil_
Just sleeping

phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops.

Well, to save a little time, I do have the $RickZarber image, so it's not like that got corrupted or something in extraction. Having not used the current version of RPG Maker, I don't know where whatever script that's trying to pull the wrong file is located (inside the executable? in /www somewhere?), so I can't offer more than "The file it should be pulling is totally there."

On a positive note, I read through the JAQ archive yesterday. Kyanbu, you should totally go read it.
Unread 04-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #17
RickZarber
Please Be Well

I'm having trouble with my Ubuntu boot, I've tried making a bootable USB and a DVD and neither will boot. Freshly downloaded ISO file too, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Apparently Linux exporting was only added to RPG Maker two weeks ago, so I'm not having much luck trying to troubleshoot online either.

Unrelated to that issue, I'd like to know if anyone's successfully been able to run the demo? It's extremely frustrating to have put so much work into this, hype it up, only to be immediately met with problems. I'm not equipped to deal with the problems of professional game devs.
Unread 04-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #18
The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk
War Incarnate

The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk's Avatar

The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier. The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier. The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier. The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier. The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier. The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier. The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is like Reed Richards, but prettier.
Send a message via MSN to The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk

Sorry yeah, should have said, it's the windows version. I was having no other problems until I tried to leave the house; sound and music were working, options menu was operational, everything in the house was interactive (nice touches there by the way).

I could attempt leaving before turning off the lights and the message box pops up telling me to go do that, but the moment I leave the screen, error message. Tried it 3 times, same result each time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azisien View Post
"ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAR I AM A GIANT SPACE TURTLE!!!"
PSN - Hawk_of_Battle
The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk is offline Add to The Artist Formerly Known as Hawk's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #19
RickZarber
Please Be Well

Hmmm. Can you show/write out the exact error message for me? What version of Windows are you using? Does anything change if you run the app as an administrator?

Also, for both of you, what happens if you double-click the index.html file (which should run the game in your default browser)? Does that work at all? Because I was able to run both the Windows and Linux versions via Firefox instead of their app containers. You do lose the ability to go full screen, but the game should run.

EDIT: I added an web browser-only version, so that's an option now too, but again that should also work in any of the OS versions.

Last edited by RickZarber; 04-02-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Unread 04-02-2017, 06:28 PM   #20
phil_
Just sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickZarber View Post
Also, for both of you, what happens if you double-click the index.html file (which should run the game in your default browser)?
It opens in Firefox, and I get the same error looking for the same wrongly named file, but with a blurry title screen behind the error instead of blackness. So progress? Like, I feel like the "$" character got replaced with "%24" somehow. I'm going to try renaming the sprite sheets, see if that "fixes" it.

Edit: That didn't fix it. Same error as before, even though there's a %24RickZarber1.png there to find in /img/characters.

Last edited by phil_; 04-02-2017 at 06:32 PM.
phil_ is offline Add to phil_'s Reputation   Reply With Quote