The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Social > Computers & Technology
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 05-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
tacticslion
Regulator

tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted.
Tech Support Laptop all buggy... advice for fix?

Well, Sunday morning (roughly nine-ish) my laptop was fine, booted up normally, and all that, I was able to access my things and shut it down, all's good. The only minor hiccup was that Microsoft Security Essentials wasn't turning on, but that happens occasionally when I start doing things too quickly for my computer, and, if given enough time when I just leave it, it'll turn on. But, I shut down the computer quickly thereafter (the proper way). Sunday afternoon (roughly three-ish) it wasn't fine anymore. I booted it up, but when I tried to sign in, it informed me that something was corrupt and it couldn't sign into my local name, but was making me a nice temporary ALT account. I informed it "shut up" by killing in with the power button, and trying to start up again but it immediately did the same when I booted up again. I could select "ok" (that was my only option) or just leave it, which, after around thirty seconds or so, it would sign in anyway. This only happened, however, when I tried to sign into my account name, not while I was sitting at the sign-in screen. I didn't realize it auto-signed-in after thirty seconds until, while carefully trying to read the box's text, I noticed the timer and watched it count down to zero from five seconds, at which point I totally managed to fail in my attempt to turn off the computer, and was already signed in. It appears to be my account - has my name and all the stuff I've downloaded, ranging from DDO (which never worked) to Gametable (which did once) - but there are several things that are in my wastebasket I didn't put there and don't recognize, (and didn't spend enough time in my weird non-account to memorize), and everything stored in "my documents" has gone missing - almost completely. There's no trace of any of my Word documents, PDFs or anything that I'd stored in the My Documents folder. I also had a desktop folder I created and called "Clean Desk" that had icons for things I regularly used, but didn't want cluttering up my Desktop, so I know it's not just something that targeted "My Documents". Fortunately, it's not a huge loss information-wise, but it's disturbing. I don't know if this' the result of an infection, if there really is something wrong with my physical computer parts, and, if there is something wrong physically or virally, I don't know how it got that way, or what to do about it. I'm making this post from my Desktop, because I haven't turned my laptop back on since, and haven't figured out anything I can do. So! Any ideas?

You should watch this trailer! It's awesome! (The rest of the site's really cool, too!)

I have a small announcement to make. And another!
tacticslion is offline Add to tacticslion's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
Krylo
The Straightest Shota

Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat].

Go to C (or whatever your hard drive is labeled) -> Users -> (your old account name) -> My Documents/Desktop/whatever.

Should find your shit there.

Beyond that, your computer is obviously possessed by black magic. Place it in a salt circle, sprinkle holy water over it, and burn a bible while chanting Matthew 14:6 backwards.

If that doesn't work, apply electromagnets.
Unread 05-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
tacticslion
Regulator

tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. tacticslion bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted.
Tech Support Black Magic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylo View Post
Go to C (or whatever your hard drive is labeled) -> Users -> (your old account name) -> My Documents/Desktop/whatever.

Should find your shit there.

Beyond that, your computer is obviously possessed by black magic. Place it in a salt circle, sprinkle holy water over it, and burn a bible while chanting Matthew 14:6 backwards.

If that doesn't work, apply electromagnets.
Darn those black magics! Darn them to a new pair of socks! I told them that they couldn't have my computers, but now I have to burn yet another Bible, and that stinks up the house for days! And don't they know how much the salt costs these days? Lame.

(Also, thanks, I'll check it out)

You should watch this trailer! It's awesome! (The rest of the site's really cool, too!)

Unread 05-09-2011, 01:26 AM   #4
Grandmaster_Skweeb
Doesn't care anymore

Grandmaster_Skweeb ruled well and wisely, in the Golden Age. Grandmaster_Skweeb ruled well and wisely, in the Golden Age. Grandmaster_Skweeb ruled well and wisely, in the Golden Age. Grandmaster_Skweeb ruled well and wisely, in the Golden Age. Grandmaster_Skweeb ruled well and wisely, in the Golden Age. Grandmaster_Skweeb ruled well and wisely, in the Golden Age. Grandmaster_Skweeb ruled well and wisely, in the Golden Age. Grandmaster_Skweeb ruled well and wisely, in the Golden Age. Grandmaster_Skweeb ruled well and wisely, in the Golden Age. Grandmaster_Skweeb ruled well and wisely, in the Golden Age.

Okay, i'll bite. Smarmy commentary aside about OMGWALLOFTEXT (really, do something about that when you're asking for techy help. Makes it a lot easier to sort out the useful bits from the useless bits)

Don't take my word to heart since I'm not physically looking at the thing to poke at the dirty details, But..the things I'm reading I'm really not liking at all.

In all honesty, if things on my box shifted around or were deleted without rhyme or reason I'd low level format that bitch post-haste with the fist of a thousand angry gods and even possibly swapping out the nic card.

Buuuuut before you do that pull your crap out in safemode (a-durrr). If you're wanting to get a little gum-shoe on this betch make a new user account for shits n giggles and leave the laptop running for a while. Have the Task Manager running with the Users tab visible. If a user pops up then well ya done goofed and are either part of a bot-net or someone is remote'n into your lappy. If not, thenl the format'll be good for the laptop anyway.

This is just me talkin out of I.T. Curiosity though so don't take it to heart or do such shenanigans if you're uncomfortable with such ventures.

(and so, my 1337'th post is made. Internal debate will ensue immediately on whether I want to ruin this holiest of numbers with a post later on.)

Last edited by Grandmaster_Skweeb; 05-09-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Grandmaster_Skweeb is offline Add to Grandmaster_Skweeb's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
tacticslion
Regulator

Tech Support Updatin' Time

First: Krylo, I found my stuff. Thanks!
Second:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster_Skweeb View Post
Okay, i'll bite. Smarmy commentary aside about OMGWALLOFTEXT (really, do something about that when you're asking for techy help. Makes it a lot easier to sort out the useful bits from the useless bits)
My apologies. It was laaaaaaaaaaate, I was exhausted and frustrated, and I recognized it was a terrible post, but couldn't think clearly or rationally enough to make it better. Believe it or not, what's above was a four-fold-edited post! It's better than what I started with!

Quote:
I am awesome. You are a n00b. Writhe in your n00bish-ness.Don't take my word to heart since I'm not physically looking at the thing to poke at the dirty details, But..the things I'm reading I'm really not liking at all.

In all honesty, if things on my box shifted around or were deleted without rhyme or reason I'd low level format that bitch post-haste with the fist of a thousand angry gods and even possibly swapping out the nic card.

Buuuuut before you do that pull your crap out in safemode (a-durrr). If you're wanting to get a little gum-shoe on this betch make a new user account for shits n giggles and leave the laptop running for a while. Have the Task Manager running with the Users tab visible. If a user pops up then well ya done goofed and are either part of a bot-net or someone is remote'n into your lappy. If not, thenl the format'll be good for the laptop anyway.

This is just me talkin out of I.T. Curiosity though so don't take it to heart or do such shenanigans if you're uncomfortable with such ventures.
I don't think it's important, but here just in case...Okay, so, I have seen no direct evidence of any user other than myself. Once, after it had gone to sleep, or whatever, on the welcome screen, when I tried to log off, it asked if I was sure, as "other users" were logged in and might lose information. That scared me for a day or so, but, then I realized the other user was me: I hadn't actually logged off.

THAT said:
1) I now have a thing telling me it's in my best interest to download and use it to cleanse me of the "hundreds" of viruses I have. This is a scareware - I know this for fact, because it's stupid and obvious, and I have the real thing (Windows' little shield-thing) it's trying to imitate sitting right next to it. Will probably import Malware Bytes and CCleaner.

2) My Windows Live Messenger is acting funny. Instead of the identical-looking screen that I have had in the past with both computers, I now have a smaller box (half the height of normal) that's completely white, looks outdated*, and has a "click here to sign in" thing. I cautiously bit the line, but instead of signing in, a Windows' Wizard popped up asking if I wanted to add a .NET or something. I had the options of canceling or continuing, but instead I CTRL-ALT-DEL-killed it.

SO! It looks like all this might be due to some sort of Malware? If I run the two programs above in Safe Mode, will that do it, you think? Any other suggestions?

Quote:
(and so, my 1337'th post is made. Internal debate will ensue immediately on whether I want to ruin this holiest of numbers with a post later on.)

Unread 05-14-2011, 03:03 AM   #6
Grandmaster_Skweeb
Doesn't care anymore

Grandmaster_Skweeb ruled well and wisely, in the Golden Age. Grandmaster_Skweeb ruled well and wisely, in the Golden Age. Grandmaster_Skweeb ruled well and wisely, in the Golden Age. Grandmaster_Skweeb ruled well and wisely, in the Golden Age. Grandmaster_Skweeb ruled well and wisely, in the Golden Age. Grandmaster_Skweeb ruled well and wisely, in the Golden Age. Grandmaster_Skweeb ruled well and wisely, in the Golden Age. Grandmaster_Skweeb ruled well and wisely, in the Golden Age. Grandmaster_Skweeb ruled well and wisely, in the Golden Age. Grandmaster_Skweeb ruled well and wisely, in the Golden Age.

Breakin the holy number here, for you!

Yep, it's all coming together now. You got hit by the Windows Defender bug or some facsimile of.

Those suckers can be a real pain to deal with. You have a few options: try running Malwarebytes and seeing if that wipes it off, try following steps other people have taken to remove it (via forums and such) orrr nuke the hard drive. Wipe everything off of it. Barring a complete format Defender/defender facsimile can dig itself in pretty damn deep and come back when you least expect it. Drive By Download Managers and Scareware are tenacious bastards like that.

Seen far too many Windows Defender computers brought in where I work, and quite often repeat visits by the same computers because the users refuse to format. Safest and most reliable option is, as stated above, is to just nuke the fucker out of existence. I prefer Gparted or Parted Magic for doin that, m'self. But if you're not really comfortable with any flavor of Linux then use windows based options for reformating.

Last edited by Grandmaster_Skweeb; 05-14-2011 at 03:09 AM.
Grandmaster_Skweeb is offline Add to Grandmaster_Skweeb's Reputation   Reply With Quote