The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Dead threads
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 06-06-2004, 01:56 PM   #1
BMHadoken

Default (Summer) Movie Review

Well, summer's here and so are all the blockbusters. I've seen a couple but there are some I want some other opinions on before I spend/waste my six bucks.

Here are my opinions:

Troy: Too talky in my opinion, and all the 'battles' seem to end after one major character dies, plus I believe I've gone over my Man-Ass quotient for the year thanks to Brad Pitt.

Day After Tommorow: A good solid hour of special effects destroying the world, which I liked, but then another hour of boring talking.

Shrek 2: Better than the first and the first was great.

I still havent seen Van Helsing (one friend said it was good, the other said it sucked, your opinions?) and I'm seeing Harry Potter III tonight.

What are your thoughts on this summer's offerings?
Add to BMHadoken's Reputation  
Unread 06-06-2004, 02:17 PM   #2
Forever Zero
Saint of Stats

Forever Zero is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

I want to see Shrek 2, since I've only heard good things about it.

I don't want to see Troy anymore... All I've heard is bad about it...

I thought Van Helsing was a good monster mash, but don't go in expecting anything too impressive (Or logical) and you'll enjoy it.

As to Harry Potter III... The book will be better then the movie, and that's all I have to say without even seeing it...
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
- The Destruction of Sennacherib
Forever Zero is offline Add to Forever Zero's Reputation  
Unread 06-06-2004, 02:46 PM   #3
AerodynamicHair
Cane Fighting Master

AerodynamicHair is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via AIM to AerodynamicHair

Alright, here's what I think about the few movies I've seen or heard about this summer:

Troy: Not too bad. Not something I would really be interested in buying on disc, but It was entertaining and didn't do too bad a job with the story and script. Only a few characters were really flat, and you didn't get the sense that the movie was trying to force some moral message down your throat. They were just telling a story, one that I found somewhat interesting but not that fascinating. Of course, thats all because of my personal tastes, and if you've been interested in seeing this movie from seeing the preview, or if you're into those great epic kind of movies with grand battles and twisting plot-lines of honor and bravery, you'll like this movie.

Harry Potter III: I was amazed at how rushed together this movie seemed. Its like they tried to put in another sequel before Daniel Radcliff got any older (on a side note, Radcliff without his glasses kinds of reminds me of the star of "Home Alone," whose name I would say except I can't spell it). The plot seems unfinished, and it feels like your missing something as you watch through the movie. Connections fail to be made for the audience of the characters and their actions, its all just thrown together in the end, and you have to suppose what they all had to do with one-another. They did a horrible job with this one, and the previous ones are much better. They need to do a better job adapting the book for the next one, or its just going to totally suck.

Movies I've heard stuff about:

Van Helsing: I heard it was boring, and badly written. It wasn't recommended.

Mean Girls: I heard it was stupid predictable humor, and when I saw the preview I could tell this wasn't something I would enjoy at all. Then, I heard another friend say it was funny, but he does have that tendency towards gross-out humor. I think previews say the most about whether you'll like a movie or not, so if it looks good in the preview to you, go for it. I'll just watch something else.

Movies I'm excited about:

Saved!: Dark comedy. I love dark comedy, and I just think the whole setting is something that is full of ideas. It would take a really crappy writer to turn this great idea into something incredibly stupid. Of course, knowing hollywood, I wouldn't be suprised, but I have high hopes for this one.

Alright, thats it. See ya.
Lord ain't he well hung"
-Liam Lynch, Well Hung

I wish I had something interesting to say now...
My Blog
AerodynamicHair is offline Add to AerodynamicHair's Reputation  
Unread 06-06-2004, 03:15 PM   #4
Death Dealer
Death Dealer's True Form?

Death Dealer is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

Shrek 2 is excellent. It is indeed better than the original.

Saved does seem pretty interesting as well.

(From Sloganizer.net) You don't want Death Dealer as your enemy.
Death Dealer is offline Add to Death Dealer's Reputation  
Unread 06-06-2004, 03:25 PM   #5
Mr. Wind-Up Bird

Spiderman 2 and Open Water are the only movies I want to see this summer. Everything else has been disappointing.
Add to Mr. Wind-Up Bird's Reputation  
Unread 06-06-2004, 03:45 PM   #6
Fifthfiend
for all seasons

Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare.
Send a message via AIM to Fifthfiend

Haven't seen Shrek 2 yet... but the Washington Post gave it the worst, most disgusted, dismissive, and often downright hateful review imaginable.

Which, as is always the case with the Washington Post, means it's unbelievably fucking awesome.
Unread 06-06-2004, 04:24 PM   #7
Lost in Time
Fungus Among Us

Lost in Time is a glorious beacon of painfully blinding light. Lost in Time is a glorious beacon of painfully blinding light.
Send a message via AIM to Lost in Time Send a message via MSN to Lost in Time

I saw Shrek 2 Friday, and to me, it was very good, except it's a little slow to pick up in the beginning, but you can't even relize that, I was just being picky. Otherwise, it's funny, fun, better then the first, and worth your money.

And I am seeing The Day After Tomarrow wednesday, I'm hoping that's a good movie.

Last edited by alien_4_life; 06-06-2004 at 04:26 PM.
Lost in Time is offline Add to Lost in Time's Reputation  
Unread 06-06-2004, 04:29 PM   #8
BMHadoken

Wind up, which one is Open Water?

I think I'm gunna see I, Robot and Riddick, just because I'll have nothing else to do.

And I'm looking forward to Garden State, but pretty much only because it has J.D. from Scrubs in it.
Add to BMHadoken's Reputation  
Unread 06-06-2004, 04:31 PM   #9
Forever Zero
Saint of Stats

Forever Zero is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

I, Robot is leaving Asimov spinning in his grave... But a morbid curiosity almost makes me want to see it regardless...

Riddick actually looks like it could be a good blow-em up movie.
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
- The Destruction of Sennacherib
Forever Zero is offline Add to Forever Zero's Reputation  
Unread 06-06-2004, 04:31 PM   #10
Mr. Wind-Up Bird

Open Water is a suspense movie coming out august 20. It's about two people who are left out in the middle of the ocean during a scuba trip. It looks pretty intense.

Here is a trailer: http://www.openwatermovie.com/
Add to Mr. Wind-Up Bird's Reputation