The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Dead threads
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 07-14-2004, 10:57 PM   #1
The Oz Man
Grevados as 'Cid!'

The Oz Man is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Homestar Runner on MTV! Vote on August 10!

VOTE!
On August 10, 2004, Internet geeks the world over will take back MTV (as if they had it once before)! Vote for "Experimental Film" by They Might Be Giants on August 10, and help us geek up America's "coolest" show!

Why are we doing this?

Quite frankly, I don't much like MTV. No, let me rephrase that. I really, really, really don't like MTV. They propogate a culture that is entirely based on marketing and physical beauty (not that much else in this world isn't, but MTV is by far the worst offender) and give no creedence to bands, videos, or culture that doesn't fit their definition of "cool." And, as Internet geeks, we're the only ones who really know what "cool" is, right?

Why "Experimental Film?"

We're very blessed in this instance: Homestarrunner.com has combined a long-time dork cult favorite (They Might Be Giants) with a more recent one (Homestar Runner and Company). I know that a big ol' chunk of the Internet loves Homestar Runner, and I'm sure those who don't have the same passion for TMBG that I do will easily jump ship once they hear the song. For the uninitiated, the video for "Experimental Film" is available here.

This is so freaking sweet! How can I help?

The easiest way to help is to simply vote for the video. Any time on August 10, 2004, visit MTV's website (yes, we all have to make sacrifices). Click on "Shows," then click on "TRL." Finally, click the "Vote" button... and you're one step closer! And if you don't want to follow all of that, just follow this link.

Because They Might Be Giants is not a band of ├╝ber-hotties, you won't find an easy way to vote for their video. For this reason, select the circle at the bottom and enter "Experimental Film" for song and "They Might Be Giants" for artist. At least some of us would probably do well to mention Homestar in the "What'd ya think of the vid?" box below. And remember: things in that box get on TV, so say stupid stuff like "i vote 4 this vid cuz strong sad is sexay!!!!! <3"

The other way to support the cause is to get the word out. Tell your friends, neighbors, loved ones, pets, gaming buddies, and fellow Internet geeks about this plan. Copy-and-paste this post and put it in other forums you frequent. Have those people spread the word. If each of us makes the effort to just tell a few people, the word will get out quickly, and MTV won't be able to ignore us!

That's a lot of text... summarize?

Okay, fine:

1. On August 10, visit TRL's voting page on MTV.com
2. Vote for "Experimental Film" by They Might Be Giants.
3. Watch TRL (yes, I know, I know) for the next few days to see how we did.
4. Prior to steps 1, 2, and 3, GET THE WORD OUT!

(This seemed like the right forum, since Homestar Runner is technically animation. If it's not, my apologies to the moderators and to the poor people that were made to read this post in a forum unfit for its information.

By the way, this forum has sweet emotes. :rmage: )
The Oz Man is offline Add to The Oz Man's Reputation  
Unread 07-15-2004, 09:48 PM   #2
TheZeroMan
The man is at the window.

TheZeroMan is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via AIM to TheZeroMan Send a message via MSN to TheZeroMan

Fight the Power! Fight the Powers that be!

FNORD
TheZeroMan is offline Add to TheZeroMan's Reputation  
Unread 07-15-2004, 11:24 PM   #3
E-DuB
Pandora Lego

E-DuB is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

I don't even get MTV..........but I'll vote....it's a good video
Unread 07-15-2004, 11:47 PM   #4
TheSpiritOfVengance
The Glorious Number One

TheSpiritOfVengance is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via Yahoo to TheSpiritOfVengance

You put me in quite the situation. You see I am not really a big fan of MTV in fact quite frankly I Hate it more than I do John Kerry. I hate it everything its about, and what it has done is the equevelnent of releasing that hungry mythical beast that cannot be fed they have caused more problems in this world by determining whats cool then some terrorist regimes. And I am not really a big fan of They Might Giants, their okay, but I am much more of a led Zepplin man Myself. However what you are proposing is this, in a very blunt and curt way, (Please excuse the language) fucking MTV in its ass and showing it who's its daddy. Now this I am for. Now this situation requires something drastic. Something the likes of which the world has not seen. For if this happens it will be the equevelent of the world turning upside down. I call upon everyone! All people who have ben repressed and taunted, all who have been teased and cheated, all people who have been picked on in highschool and never got a date to prom! I call upon all of you for the sake of vengance

Vote And have everyone of your friends vote!

Vote for the sake of liberation of all of our kind! For now is the day to be seized for now a new sun rises to a new day! In the words of Theodin of rohan

Forth Eorlingas!!!

For now we must fight for the future!

Last edited by TheSpiritOfVengance; 07-15-2004 at 11:57 PM.
TheSpiritOfVengance is offline Add to TheSpiritOfVengance's Reputation  
Unread 07-16-2004, 12:40 AM   #5
slightly aboveaverage man
Trudeau Maniac

slightly aboveaverage man is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via MSN to slightly aboveaverage man

Meh, why not. It wasn't their best work, but it was Homestarrunner, thus I will vote.

(And so will my brother, whome I showed this thread to earlier today.)

All at
WWW.Ultima-Java.com

If you're not there you'd better be dead, or in jail!
And if you're in jail...

BREAK OUT!

Visit this Sunday SUNDAY Sunday and saturday.
slightly aboveaverage man is offline Add to slightly aboveaverage man's Reputation  
Unread 07-17-2004, 11:08 AM   #6
The Oz Man
Grevados as 'Cid!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightly aboveaverage man
Meh, why not. It wasn't their best work, but it was Homestarrunner, thus I will vote.
<sniparino>
That's pretty much exactly what I've been saying for a while. It's definitely not the best thing on H*R (see also the Strong Bad Emails "caffeine" and "guitar"), and I honestly don't even think it's the best They Might Be Giants video ever (see also "Ana Ng" or "Birdhouse in Your Soul") or the best TMBG song ever (see also "The Statue Got Me High" and "Kiss Me, Son of God"). But it's definitely a fun video if nothing else, and it's certainly better than half the unoriginal tripe they're playing on MTV. And you must admit that you at least got a chuckle out of it.

Thanks a lot for the support thus far. The NationStates people were slightly less welcoming (since it didn't involve an argument about how Bush was stupid, since it wasn't an inane high school dance simulator, and for some stupid reason because it's not the best thing on H*R), but everyone else has been awesome. You guys rock. Here's another lil' red mage. :rmage: Rawr.
Unread 07-17-2004, 05:52 PM   #7
Defcon
Definitely, Psycho.

Defcon is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

As much as I like homestarrunner, That video plainly sucked ass, I'll still vote though.

Edit:

and I'm not saying it because of the style, It has a nice cheat flash feel to it, as well as the absurdity, Just the fact that I plainly dislike strong sad and anything having to do with him, at all.

Last edited by Defcon; 07-17-2004 at 11:14 PM.
Defcon is offline Add to Defcon's Reputation  
Unread 07-17-2004, 05:56 PM   #8
Hamelin
OMG! Sea Monster!

Hamelin is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

Every time somebody tries to make something a bit more artsy and archaic, people go up in arms because it sucks. When really it is just different then the other stuff they have.
Unread 07-17-2004, 07:18 PM   #9
The Oz Man
Grevados as 'Cid!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamelin
Every time somebody tries to make something a bit more artsy and archaic, people go up in arms because it sucks. When really it is just different then the other stuff they have.
Too right, you. The video's also quite appropriate for the song, which is about experimental films. In that respect, it's a typical Brothers Chaps parody, and it's as spot-on as anything else on the site. The biggest problem I find is that most people on the Interweb don't know what's being parodied.
Unread 07-21-2004, 03:56 AM   #10
sephiroth666
lord of the undead legion

sephiroth666 is an unknown quantity at this point.
Send a message via AIM to sephiroth666

eh. wut the hey. ill do it. but seeing as how my tv is broken i wont be doing the watch mtv part. i never liked mtv. but my sister does...she forced it upon my helpless soul. but i was just too dam lazy to do sumthin else so i just watch tv.

i never watched mtv that much, but i have watched it. and im not sure why i hate it. i just do. its probably because of the constant songs that repeat over and over. i dunno nuthin bout it cept it has music, which i dont like.
and i dunno how u guys know all this stuff about it. i know nothing of wut goes on in the world. for example. it took me 1 month to figure out who bin laden was. im not exaggerating. i dont really like sports so i didnt watch the one half time show thingy. with janet jackson. but i heard about it in school and the clip of it was on funnyjunk.com so i saw it. i spend hours playing warcraft,gunbound,work, homework, and read. that is my life.
----:bmage::bbelt:
"get a life."
"where do you get one of those??!? jeez every one tells me to, but i cant find em anywhere. even seven eleven dont got those."
sephiroth666 is offline Add to sephiroth666's Reputation