The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Dead threads
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 08-09-2004, 05:24 PM   #1
Chrono_Traveller
Shyguy

Chrono_Traveller is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via AIM to Chrono_Traveller
Default Phantom Brave and Star Ocean 3

What to choose? What to choose? Both are being released on August 31st (in North America) and I've been looking forward to both for over a year now. However, at $50 each, I think I'll only be able to get one now, then wait till christmas for the other (if I can find the other by then).

If you are uninformed, Phantom Brave is the next strategy RPG by Nippon Ichi (Disgaea, La Pucelle) and is along the lines of games like FFT, and Tactics Ogre.

Star Ocean 3 is a sci-fi RPG by Tri-ace (star ocean series, valkerie profile) that features a real-time battle and an item creation systems.

So will anyone out there be buying either or both of these games when they debut? Any thoughts on what you've read or seen about either game? I think right now I'm leaning toward getting Phantom Brave first, if for no other reason than it seemed so hard to get Disgaea even a few months after release. Both look like they will be awesome though.
Prinnies are the best creatures ever, I mean who would have thought of a peg-legged penguin, with wings and a hip pack, talk like they are from the '80s and, get this, explode when you throw them! - Disgaea programmer smoking something wierd

"The only people I fear are those who never have doubts." - Shades of Gray by Billy Joel

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." - Douglas Adams
Chrono_Traveller is offline Add to Chrono_Traveller's Reputation  
Unread 08-09-2004, 06:40 PM   #2
IHateMakingNames

IHateMakingNames is the wind beneath your wings. IHateMakingNames is the wind beneath your wings. IHateMakingNames is the wind beneath your wings. IHateMakingNames is the wind beneath your wings.

Get Star Ocean 3. It's better. And if it ends up like Star Ocean 2, it will be much harder to get that then Disgaea ever was.
IHateMakingNames is offline Add to IHateMakingNames's Reputation  
Unread 08-09-2004, 09:27 PM   #3
Chrono_Traveller
Shyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateMakingNames
Get Star Ocean 3. It's better. And if it ends up like Star Ocean 2, it will be much harder to get that then Disgaea ever was.
Was SO2 that hard to get after its release? One of the reasons I got it last summer was that I kept seeing a couple copies of it used at the EB games near me and, at $15, I thought it couldn't hurt to give it a try. I didn't realize it was so hard to get. I must have gotten lucky.
Prinnies are the best creatures ever, I mean who would have thought of a peg-legged penguin, with wings and a hip pack, talk like they are from the '80s and, get this, explode when you throw them! - Disgaea programmer smoking something wierd

"The only people I fear are those who never have doubts." - Shades of Gray by Billy Joel

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." - Douglas Adams
Unread 08-10-2004, 12:40 AM   #4
KefkaTaran
Magikoopa

KefkaTaran is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

IHMN: How can you say it's better when (I'm willing to bet pretty hard here) you haven't yet played either?

Anyways, early review of SO3 haven't been TOO enthusiastic. I've mostly been hearing in the 70-80% range. If Phantom Brave is anything like the previous releases in the 'series' it'll end up becoming a cult hit, but I haven't heard any early reviews yet, so I can't say there.
KefkaTaran is offline Add to KefkaTaran's Reputation  
Unread 08-10-2004, 01:36 AM   #5
In Hindsight

Well, neither are perfect tens, so to speak, or at least this is what I have read so far from import reviews. Phantom Brave is supposed to be the weakest of the Nippon Ichi tactics entries for the PS2, and while I am looking forward to SO3, I expect it will fall into the same trappings as it's predecessors. Both are supposed to have mediocre-at-best storylines, but are both strengthened by excellent gameplay.

Also, Growlanser Generations comes out on the same day as well, so if you're a TRPG diehard, this will probably be a must-get as well.

I'm hoping to pick up all three, but now that I might be getting a house, my game collecting addiction might end up getting scaled back a bit due to financial constraints.
Add to In Hindsight's Reputation  
Unread 08-10-2004, 12:13 PM   #6
Chrono_Traveller
Shyguy

Hmmmm... This growlancer generations title intrigues me. Tell me more. I have found 2 different previews but they haven't got much more than it is two different games, the names of the main characters, and it is a hit in Japan.

And to IHMN, could you at least elaborate a little on why you think SO3 will be better than PB? Especially considering that unless you have some Japanese imports(or live in Japan), you probably haven't played either one. Any juicy gossip on either one is welcomed.

And to TheInfernalStorm, PB is supposed to be the weakest of the 3? Thats disappointing news. I haven't gotten La Pucelle because I've been waiting for PB. Also, I've been waiting because my friend has La Pucelle and he hasn't been enamored with it.

Unread 08-10-2004, 12:18 PM   #7
IHateMakingNames

IHateMakingNames is the wind beneath your wings. IHateMakingNames is the wind beneath your wings. IHateMakingNames is the wind beneath your wings. IHateMakingNames is the wind beneath your wings.

I still stand by my statement that SO3 is more fun then PB. Based of Disgaea and La P, I have a good guess as to how PB will play. SO3 is more of a guess, but SO2 had the best battle system ever for a random encounter RPG, and Real Time Combat>All other forms of combat, and I know SO3 has RTC.
Unread 08-10-2004, 12:25 PM   #8
Venice
Being John Malkovich

Venice is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

I prefer Turn Based Combat myself, so I would probally go for Phantom Brave. Is it being made by the same people as Disgaea and La Pucelle? If so, then I'll probally get it, just because I like their games.

I've never had a Star Ocean game, what is the basic concept of it?

:rmage: The only thing we have to fear, is half-black dragon troll deathknights.

Disclaimer: No, those are not real 8-bit theatre quotes, but they fit the characters in my opinion and I thought it was clever. So nyah to the naysayers I naysay!
Venice is offline Add to Venice's Reputation  
Unread 08-10-2004, 12:52 PM   #9
Chrono_Traveller
Shyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venice
I prefer Turn Based Combat myself, so I would probally go for Phantom Brave. Is it being made by the same people as Disgaea and La Pucelle? If so, then I'll probally get it, just because I like their games.

I've never had a Star Ocean game, what is the basic concept of it?
It sorta a Japanese version of a Star Trek RPG (sounds wierd huh?). From what I've read of SO3 as well as playing 2, the main character is placed in some futuristic galaxy where space travel is common and somehow, whether is a surprise attack (SO3) or a wierd artifact (SO2), gets stranded on an undeveloped planet. Now because of the 'Prime Directive' (don't interfere with developing planets) he must use swords to fight and find out what the heck is going on.

I didn't think that SO2 was really that strong on story (though you do get attached to the characters) but its shining achievement, as IHMN touched upon, is its real-time battle system that many believe is the best system ever. I would put it in the top 3 of non-SRPG battle systems (along with Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter and FFVI). I would definitely suggest picking up SO2: the second story used for about $15. It is worth it.

Unread 08-10-2004, 01:35 PM   #10
KefkaTaran
Magikoopa

KefkaTaran is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

Both of them are supposed to have amazing battle systems, which is to be expected from looking at the previous entries. I've definitely heard negatives about SO3's plot, though, and I also prefer turn-based. Turn-based vs. real-time might be the real argument here. Whichever you prefer will probably be the one you want to go with.
KefkaTaran is offline Add to KefkaTaran's Reputation