The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Dead threads
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 03-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
Kyanbu The Legend
Local Rookie Indie Dev

Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero.
Send a message via MSN to Kyanbu The Legend
Default Wallpaper

This is probably the first major CG wallpaper I've ever made that didn't suck (or was just a tutorial). Although I know I'll get chewed out over what the subject is, I still want to see what you guys think of it. Please note that this is my first real wallpaper and that I sketched and colored the stack image.

http://kyanbu.deviantart.com/art/Kag...rted-115137316

and for anyone who can't view it on Deviantart.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...paperwaved.jpg

Last edited by Kyanbu The Legend; 03-07-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Kyanbu The Legend is offline Add to Kyanbu The Legend's Reputation  
Unread 03-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
Robert Frazer
Epic-Level Lurker

Robert Frazer is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

It seems to be something of an odd size - what monitor resolution is the wallpaper designed for?

On a technical point, I would diminish the size of your credit in the bottom-left, if not remove it completely. We are here to regale the art, and copyright claims should be small and unobtrusive - the large space you dedicate to it is jarring and distracting. If you are worried about theft, it may be worth your while developing a watermark which you can place in the corner.

It may be a petty thing, but I'd also change the font that you use for the title - writing can be part of the art as well, and plain Arial looks a little amateurish I'm afraid. Blambot offers a sizeable library of free fonts (as well as ones that they charge for) if you want some more variety beyond which plain Windows gives you.

The art itself is decent, but I tend to prefer wallpapers where the developed elements are not centred but rather off to one side, so that my columns of icons can be stacked together on the other and not bury any prominent foreground detail - that's just a personal preference, though.
Robert Frazer is offline Add to Robert Frazer's Reputation  
Unread 03-08-2009, 02:10 AM   #3
Kim
adorable

Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them.

Put the crow/reaper/thing on the right. Put something small, simple, and cool on the left so it doesn't feel so empty once you move CrowMan. Get rid of the text completely.

It isn't bad, but the text really ruins it, at least the way it is now. The other things I mentioned are purely aesthetic and not nearly as important.
Unread 03-08-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
Kyanbu The Legend
Local Rookie Indie Dev

Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero.
Send a message via MSN to Kyanbu The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Frazer View Post
It seems to be something of an odd size - what monitor resolution is the wallpaper designed for?

On a technical point, I would diminish the size of your credit in the bottom-left, if not remove it completely. We are here to regale the art, and copyright claims should be small and unobtrusive - the large space you dedicate to it is jarring and distracting. If you are worried about theft, it may be worth your while developing a watermark which you can place in the corner.

It may be a petty thing, but I'd also change the font that you use for the title - writing can be part of the art as well, and plain Arial looks a little amateurish I'm afraid. Blambot offers a sizeable library of free fonts (as well as ones that they charge for) if you want some more variety beyond which plain Windows gives you.

The art itself is decent, but I tend to prefer wallpapers where the developed elements are not centred but rather off to one side, so that my columns of icons can be stacked together on the other and not bury any prominent foreground detail - that's just a personal preference, though.
I originally made this for my psp but messed up the size. I did download a few fonts, I'll have to give them a try later when I have time. I'll remove some of the text and move the stock over to the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonCon View Post
Put the crow/reaper/thing on the right. Put something small, simple, and cool on the left so it doesn't feel so empty once you move CrowMan. Get rid of the text completely.

It isn't bad, but the text really ruins it, at least the way it is now. The other things I mentioned are purely aesthetic and not nearly as important.
Okay thank you for the advice. I'll keep that in mind with future projects.