The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Dead threads
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 08-19-2004, 03:30 PM   #1
ChaosMage
Evil Makes Me Smile

ChaosMage is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Default The Ultimate Geek War: Star Trek vs Star Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8stupidppl
BLASPHEMY! Star Wars is better and I can PROVE it.
Consider the gauntlet thrown down, buddy. The gloves are off. You have slapped me across the face with your pearly white glove. Bring it.
ChaosMage is offline Add to ChaosMage's Reputation  
Unread 08-19-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
hawkboy204
The lil one

hawkboy204 is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via AIM to hawkboy204

I have one question about this dabate: Is there really a point? I mean star wars fans aren't going to going to change their minds and star trek fans aren't going to change their minds, and its all going to end up in a flame war. But my opinion on this is that they are both great sci-fi stories and I can't really pick a better one.

Yay for reading forums during class...
hawkboy204 is offline Add to hawkboy204's Reputation  
Unread 08-19-2004, 03:56 PM   #3
MasterOfMagic
ahahah

MasterOfMagic is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life. MasterOfMagic is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life. MasterOfMagic is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life. MasterOfMagic is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life.

Already done in the Battle Royale thread (v1.0). Star Wars killed Star Trek b/c it is more advanced in technology.

If you wish to argue about it more, post it agian in BR(v2.0) and I guarentee it will have the same result.
MasterOfMagic is offline Add to MasterOfMagic's Reputation  
Unread 08-19-2004, 03:59 PM   #4
Kenryoku_Maxis
87% Pokemon Master

Kenryoku_Maxis is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via AIM to Kenryoku_Maxis

Nah, no point. But I can still come up with something to talk about.

Personally, I like them both. But I do like Star Trek better I admit. Star Wars is fun and I actually like the old series and some of the books I read off of them (Tales of Mos Eisley, Darksaber, Jedi Academyt Series, Timothy Zawns books), but Star Trek has alot more of what I like. Multiple cultures and history mixed with interesting plot lines and characters with more 'depth' to them. Solo and Vader and C-3po/R2-D2 are great. But then when you look at the cross relationship between Kirk, Spock and McCoy or the indavidual characters of people like Picard or Gordie (sp) or Data or the way all the people on Deep Space 9 interact (especially Quark and Odo), there's just so much there that you can get into. And I have to say I actually like the Star Trek movies a LOT, I admit. Probably better than the Star Wars ones. So sue me. -_-

Just remember, I have scrutinized all this because I am a fan of both, but even more because I want to be a Director/Writer/Creator of my own shows so I think about these things...

Anyway, still, I like them more. But I watch Star Trek more cuz there's just so much more to it and I like it somewhat better so.....yeah. Some things maybe to talk about.

-----

And I don't get the whole technology thing......I've always thought Star Trek was beyond Star Wars in ideas of technology. I mean, people like Stephen Hawking and Issac Asimov write books on how certain ideas in Star Trek (some they created) could be theoretically phesable. Oh yeah, did you know Issac Asimov wrote episodes of multiple Star Trek Seasons? I think he has a bit more grasp of science and technology and development of those fields than a guy who sits on a ranch and wrote his story, in his own words, to "give the people of this generation their own Mythology."

Oh yeah, and I consider Star Wars more fantasy based, just like Lucas and most critics. And I'd like to see a Star Destroyer do anything against a Borg Cube or Romulan Warbird.

Star Trek > Star Wars. But both are irreversibly off-track. Just realize we can always trust in the sanctity of Indiana Jones and the Simpsons! Oh wait...

Last edited by Kenryoku_Maxis; 08-19-2004 at 04:04 PM.
Kenryoku_Maxis is offline Add to Kenryoku_Maxis's Reputation  
Unread 08-19-2004, 04:22 PM   #5
MasterOfMagic
ahahah

MasterOfMagic is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life. MasterOfMagic is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life. MasterOfMagic is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life. MasterOfMagic is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life.

Actually, Star Trek is less Technologically advanced. Atleast as far as fighting goes. There was a great link about it in the last thread. I'll go look for it.

If you meant which is better storyline-wise, I'd go with Star Wars. But only if the books are included. I've just always liked it better, but Star Trek is still really great.

I'm off to find that link, that will show you that Star Wars kicks Star Trek's ass in a fight.

EDIT: Hee, hee. Found it. click or die

Last edited by MasterOfMagic; 08-19-2004 at 04:31 PM.
Unread 08-19-2004, 04:31 PM   #6
Archbio
Data is Turned On

Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts
Send a message via MSN to Archbio

Star Wars is soft sci-fi as far as technology goes (it has one foot in fantasy), that's partly why it "wins" a fight. Altough I didn't think that was this thread was for...

Personally I like parts of both. The aliens in Star Trek are sillier, oddly...
Archbio is offline Add to Archbio's Reputation  
Unread 08-19-2004, 04:39 PM   #7
MasterOfMagic
ahahah

Well, that and it takes place much farther in the future...

As to the story, the aliens in Star Wars are my only complaint. They seem to be mostly huminoid, but lately(w/ new tech.) it has been getting better. Of course, I didn't/don't have this complaint with the books, b/c I was using my imagination. I make them look however I want.
Unread 08-19-2004, 04:41 PM   #8
Archbio
Data is Turned On

Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts
Send a message via MSN to Archbio

[QUOTE]Well, that and it takes place much farther in the future...[QUOTE]

Isn't it in the past, or whenever?
Archbio is offline Add to Archbio's Reputation  
Unread 08-19-2004, 05:26 PM   #9
Kenryoku_Maxis
87% Pokemon Master

Kenryoku_Maxis is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via AIM to Kenryoku_Maxis

Well uh..I'm on job and I'm really not THAT interested in Star Trek vs Star Wars to go read that thing right now, especially seeing its probably going to be BIAS towards Star Wars.

Here's how I see it though, very breifly. Star Wars has all this technology and these weapons, but none of them are ever explained how they are made and 90% even how they WORK. On the flip side, 90%+ of all the weapons, ships, technologies in Star Trek are explained in great detail. Some of the stuff might be in non-realistic terms, but that's where Star Trek realizes that they would rather create technologies and terms not yet invented than just create a weapon and instead of saying how it works, just hide the details with special effects. Heck, they've even tried explaining how Light Sabers work. They are created with small fusion powered batteries that emmit microscopic lazers through a special type of crystal. That's cool. But they never explain why the fusion battery nor the lazer don't melt the handle. How about the little fact that the Lazer get's cut off in mid air? How about what kind of crystal could prject the light in such a way to make it be able to cut metal? See....then you look at Star Trek and they not only create something, but describe in great detail how it is made. Right down to a phaser. And while we haven't even come close to making a Lazer even be able to work in space yet, people in the field of defense working for our nations Police forces have been developing a Stun pistol which they say takes many properties from the concept of a Phaser set on stun in Star Trek (even its look).

So some would say because Star Wars is 'so beyond us' that they are more advanced, I actually don't think so. I think because so many things in Star Trek actually may be able to be made in the future, they actually are more advanced. Star Wars is nice and the gadgets and droids and stuff are cool, butyou can't exactly say they are 'more advanced' than something that CAN be made eventhough some things may look it.

And you also have to realize there are quite a many thing Lucas took from other Sci-Fi authors to produce ideas in Star Wars, whereas in Star Trek, since even its first season (especially the first season), some of the biggest names in the field of both Science Fiction and Science itself have written scripts and concepts for it. All the way up to the recent Enterprise series (which I have yet to watch much of). So you see, its like comparing the work of someone taking ideas from the people who created them and saying they're better than the works he took them from. Because many of the ideas for various famous books or games or even leading scientific debates right now were created by some of the people who wrote screenplays or episode concept ideas for Star Trek.

And I still hold to my argument that a Romulan Warbird or Borg Cube could beat a Star Destroyer. Romulan Warbird using 8 simotanius Photon Torpedoes + cloaking = over-powering Star Destroyer anyday. And Borg Cubes are almost impossible to destroy unless you know the precise spot to hit them. And even then, you have to hit them pretty hard to do it. And then you factor in such things as Shield modulation, shield dampiners and proton arrays....Star Wars never dealed with those things and ships in Star Trek were able to always neutralize or get through those. I mean, just think about it:

Deck of Enterprise-D

Data: "We have an interesting ship ahead of us, its raising its shields."
Ricker: "Red Alert."
Picard: "Status on the Object?"
Data: "It appears to have a simple shielding system sorrounding its hull being generated by two large explosive containers atop its main bridge."
Picard: "Target those containers and Fire a full spread."

::The Shields Blow Up, then they blow up the Bridge with 1 Torpedo all before the Star Destroyer has time to fire more than 1 volley of Lazers that barely damage the Enterprise Shields::

I think they could polish off a Star Destroyer rather easily. Maybe not a SUPER Star Destroyer but again...that's going into my point of 'ok, that's just so big and "fantastic" that we gotta look at something more realistic here...' And a Death Star......maybe in 100,000 years it could be made but its not exactly that 'practical' now is it..........

-----

And I thought Star Wars was 'A Long, Long Time Ago...' -_-

Star Trek > Star Wars. But both are irreversibly off-track. Just realize we can always trust in the sanctity of Indiana Jones and the Simpsons! Oh wait...

Last edited by Kenryoku_Maxis; 08-19-2004 at 05:42 PM.
Kenryoku_Maxis is offline Add to Kenryoku_Maxis's Reputation  
Unread 08-19-2004, 05:41 PM   #10
TheReturnOfTheAceofSpades
Back and Ready to Rant

TheReturnOfTheAceofSpades is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

Ok Star wars has Yoda, Darth Vader, and Chewie. They also have Jar-jar to attract the hits from the klingons whiel all the force users kill the crew. And do not say Jar-jar could not take that many hits, when he can. I mean so much hate agianst Jar-Jar and no one has tried to destroy the computers where the info of Jar-jar is located, I mean at least one Grover puppet has been vandilized....
TheReturnOfTheAceofSpades is offline Add to TheReturnOfTheAceofSpades's Reputation