The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Social > Playing Games
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 04-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
Bells
That's so PC of you

Location: In a Server-sided Dimension where time is meaningless
Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay!
Send a message via MSN to Bells Send a message via Skype™ to Bells

It's not the same thing!

There is no way to cut this in a positive light, but they didn't simply wait to tell... now they've informed, the information is correct and conclusive and inform people what to do next, there is a private investigation firm searching for who did this, they are rebuilding the entire system to prevent further and future leaks and they were able to assess what information was leaked because of that... maybe, just maybe, that's all information they didn't have on the first days

It is one of the largests Companies in the world y'know... you don't compile that amount of data and mobilize that many people and offices in a turn of 24 hours.

Bells is offline Add to Bells's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #12
Kim
adorable

Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post
It's not the same thing!

There is no way to cut this in a positive light, but they didn't simply wait to tell... now they've informed, the information is correct and conclusive and inform people what to do next, there is a private investigation firm searching for who did this, they are rebuilding the entire system to prevent further and future leaks and they were able to assess what information was leaked because of that... maybe, just maybe, that's all information they didn't have on the first days

It is one of the largests Companies in the world y'know... you don't compile that amount of data and mobilize that many people and offices in a turn of 24 hours.
They took it down because there was a breach. As in, they knew there was a breach, and then they took it down.

It took them several days to inform people of the breach. Then several more to inform about the possibly compromised info.

Yesterday, they "weren't sure" if any info had been leaked.

Today, they're able to list almost exactly what was leaked, but phrase the credit card stuff as possible.

If they were able to do that, I highly doubt they only realized, just yesterday, that info might have been leaked. They knowingly kept customers in the dark about the theft of this info because it would make them look bad.

You can phrase it politely and as in their favor as you want, but that is what happened.
Unread 04-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #13
Marc v4.0
Fight Me, Nerds

Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday!

Did...I miss a few pages or something where this was all ramped up to sucha point or something?

On topic, I will say that, if Sony didn't have at least a small inkling that this might have been malicious early on, then they are very poor at this and I still don't regret not giving them my money so they could let my info get leaked.

edit: If they knew from the take-down that it WAS a Breach, there is absolutly no excuse for not informing the consumer at the same time

Last edited by Marc v4.0; 04-26-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Marc v4.0 is offline Add to Marc v4.0's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #14
Kim
adorable

Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. Kim will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc v1.0 View Post
On topic, I will say that, if Sony didn't have at least a small inkling that this might have been malicious early on, then they are very poor at this and I still don't regret not giving them my money so they could let my info get leaked.
They knew it was malicious the first day it went down.

Also, Bells is VERY UPSET that I'm blaming Sony for this I guess.
Unread 04-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
Marc v4.0
Fight Me, Nerds

Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonCon View Post
Yeah, slipped in a quick edit, that sort of business practice is just disgusting and shameful.
Unread 04-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #16
Kim
adorable

Yeah, I mean, my main problem isn't that they were hacked. Maybe they should have had better security, and if my info were at risked yeah I'd be pretty pissed, but I'm not all "RAWR SONY I HATE YOU FOR GETTING HACKED." My main problem is their incredibly poor handling of the situation.
Unread 04-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #17
MSperoni
Artist and Writer of Comics

MSperoni would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. MSperoni would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. MSperoni would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. MSperoni would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. MSperoni would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. MSperoni would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. MSperoni would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. MSperoni would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was. MSperoni would dive into a lake to save a drowning girl from a sinking car, without even stopping to think about how dangerous it was.

There's no way for Sony to cut this in a positive light so instead they just didn't say anything till the last possible second and so made themselves look negligent. Dunno who is in charge of Sony's P.R department but I'd make 'em commit seppuku..

Had they said something a week ago when it happened, at least customers would've got the impression they were somewhat on top of things. If they thought for a second there was a risk of identity theft they shoulda informed us, so we could have had a heads up.

Weather forecasters don't tell you there's a tornado coming when it's at your doorstep, they let you know early that you can expect the possibility of one and you prepare for it.

I find it incredibly hard to believe Sony hadn't the slightest clue there was a security breach, and if so, they could have at least released some kinda "Maybe you all ought to change your passwords and beware.."

And if they were wrong, and there actually was no security breach and we ended up all fine and dandy, then so be it. They'd have inconvenienced customers slightly instead of majorly.

This was going to end up as a P.R nightmare anyway, so they were going to look bad before E3 regardless.
http://twitter.com/#!/mSperoni
Check out my Deviant Art page if you'd like to see other pictures I've made!
http://exmile.deviantart.com/
Follow The Dreadful on Facebook!

Last edited by MSperoni; 04-26-2011 at 05:05 PM.
MSperoni is offline Add to MSperoni's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #18
Bells
That's so PC of you

Location: In a Server-sided Dimension where time is meaningless
Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay!
Send a message via MSN to Bells Send a message via Skype™ to Bells

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonCon View Post

Also, Bells is VERY UPSET that I'm blaming Sony for this I guess.
i'm not "very upset" it just annoys me all this assumption being made in order to blame Sony as some sort of Evil Mastermind of Corruption and Corporate Greed, when in fact they act pretty much as any self respecting corporation would in a case like this...

This was not some sort of "prank" by a couple of Hackers, this was an actual criminal activity against sony. And a serious one, a big one. In cases like this you -do not- rush to tell everyone what "may perhaps have happen", you get your facts straight and then inform your customers a one-note speech with truthful information. That's what sony did, specially considering that this is linked to a serious criminal offense that will have legal repercussion, you have to measure your words and actions... not just "cause it's nicey nice to do" but cause there are also legal reasons to act this way.

I know people loooooooove to shit on corporations and Sony, but this time they are actually the first Victim in this case.

Bells is offline Add to Bells's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #19
Krylo
The Straightest Shota

Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat].
Default I thought the statement of it maybe happened before yesterday. It didn't--Fuck 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post
This was not some sort of "prank" by a couple of Hackers, this was an actual criminal activity against sony. And a serious one, a big one. In cases like this you -do not- rush to tell everyone what "may perhaps have happen", you get your facts straight and then inform your customers a one-note speech with truthful information. That's what sony did, specially considering that this is linked to a serious criminal offense that will have legal repercussion, you have to measure your words and actions... not just "cause it's nicey nice to do" but cause there are also legal reasons to act this way.
Out of curiosity, what legal repercussions would have resulted from them informing customers that there was a possibility of leaked information the first day the network went down?

I mean, you're saying that companies don't do that in this kind of situation, but why? What is at stake for them not to? It's not like a judge would look at the case and be like "Oh, Sony was suggesting information MIGHT have been leaked before they were sure? Case tossed." That's not a thing that happens.
Unread 04-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #20
bluestarultor
Blue Psychic, Programmer

bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two.

Guys, I'm gonna say this once, so y'all shut up and listen. Sony is handling this well and anyone with any clue as to how this shit works would know that.

The first step is to minimize damage. When someone hacks into your system, they're not always sloppy about it and you may not know you've been hacked at first. They took down PSN when it became clear that it would be the best way to minimize further damage.

The second step is not to give out bad info. The press looooooves them some bad info to go to town on. Sony hired on a security analyst to help them track down what exactly happened and that analyst is the one who's given them the info they're releasing now. Sony COULD have just gone "OH NOEZ WEVE BEN HACKED UR DATAZ R ALL GONE!" and it would have accomplished jack shit and probably not been accurate, instead causing a panic and media frenzy based on what would have likely been bad info.

The third step is to fully assess what happened so you can give out GOOD info, which is what they're in the process of doing now. This will lead to the perpetrators tossing the salad behind bars when it's all figured out.

They're also well on their way to step 4, which is to make sure it doesn't happen again. They're already beefing up the system so it'll be more secure when they re-launch it.

Sony is handling this as best as can be expected given that someone, for the very first time, managed to compromise their online system. It's only been, oh, what, going on FIVE YEARS or so since it launched? The fact that they were hacked is by no means their "fault." If someone wants to get into your system, bullheaded persistence will eventually pay off. They had it up for years with no issue, and let's face it, they were carrying lots of juicy info. People were probably trying for ages to get into it and someone finally succeeded. Yes, that they were hacked is not a good thing, and they'll be hearing about it for years, I'm sure, but this, I assure you, was not some fly-by incident.

I think the thing that pisses me off most about this are the trolls and people who just want to stir up shit. Looking at the posts on the blog, the same three trolls are causing a ruckus, or trying to, and it makes me smile to see the intelligent people telling them to fuck off and the couple of posters there who actually know their stuff.
I'm gone from here for good. This place gave me many memories to take with me and shaped me greatly. I still care about you guys. I just can't stay.

Journal | Twitter | FF Wiki (Talk) | Projects | Site
bluestarultor is offline Add to bluestarultor's Reputation   Reply With Quote