The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Social > Bullshit Mountain
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Nikose Tyris
Trash Goblin

Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday!
Send a message via AIM to Nikose Tyris Send a message via MSN to Nikose Tyris Send a message via Yahoo to Nikose Tyris Send a message via Skype™ to Nikose Tyris
Serious What's wrong with Flouride, exactly?

Okay bit of a broad topic here, but I've been invited and pestered to join a bunch of anti-flouride things lately, and I'm actually kind of confused. Googling it only brought me to a big propoganda page that had nothing that resembled verified evidence or any real scientific backing, and the only thing they listed [despite labeling it repeatedly as deadly, toxic, going to kill me, etc] was flouridation of the teeth in young children, causing a white spotty appearance.

Flouride is naturally in the drinking water, and we add more to it in the city of Toronto that remains within the concentration levels as set out in health and safety guidelines.

I'm just really confused. Can someone explain the fear, and explain to me if it's justified?
Nikose Tyris is offline Add to Nikose Tyris's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
Aldurin
Lakitu

Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk. Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk. Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk. Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk. Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk. Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk. Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk. Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk. Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk. Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk. Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk.

I think this one of those things along the lines of banning hydrogen dioxide, given how flouride is beneficial in numerous ways. Really people should be focusing on real issues regarding unhelpful ingredients in products.
Aldurin is offline Add to Aldurin's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
akaSM
:3

akaSM is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. akaSM is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. akaSM is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. akaSM is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. akaSM is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. akaSM is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. akaSM is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. akaSM is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world.
Send a message via MSN to akaSM Send a message via Yahoo to akaSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldurin View Post
I think this one of those things along the lines of banning dihydrogen monoxide, given how flouride is beneficial in numerous ways. Really people should be focusing on real issues regarding unhelpful ingredients in products.
FTFY

I haven't seen anything like that around here...yet. If it's so bad, I wonder why a salt company advertises their product as "fluorada" (fluorinated).

akaSM is offline Add to akaSM's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Aldurin
Lakitu

Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk. Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk. Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk. Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk. Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk. Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk. Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk. Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk. Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk. Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk. Aldurin is the 13th apostle of funk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaSM View Post
FTFY
And that's why I'm not going into chemistry.
Aldurin is offline Add to Aldurin's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 11:04 PM   #5
Archbio
Data is Turned On

Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Archbio has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts
Send a message via MSN to Archbio
Default The only thing you need to ask yourself about Fluoride.

Have you ever seen a commie drink a glass of water?

Last edited by Archbio; 05-27-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Archbio is offline Add to Archbio's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
bluestarultor
Blue Psychic, Programmer

bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. bluestarultor is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two.

Since I happen to be here anyway, basically fluoride being good for your teeth is unsubstantiated bullshit based on one guy observing one town back in the 1800s and despite all of its 2 inhabitants having disgustingly brown teeth from the high fluoride levels in the well water, nobody happened to have cavities at the time. From that point forward we've spent a good hundred years not going back and doing any fact-checking.

Some contested info asserts that fluoride collects in the brain and can cause developmental problems and such, which is why most toothpastes say kids shouldn't swallow them.

But, really, even if it's not causing brain damage, the fact of the matter is it's not helping our teeth, either. Better to just drop the whole thing and, y'know, actually study it for once than to find out in another 100 years our IQs should all have risen an extra 60 points and that it causes autism and cancer and herpesyphilAIDS.
I'm gone from here for good. This place gave me many memories to take with me and shaped me greatly. I still care about you guys. I just can't stay.

Journal | Twitter | FF Wiki (Talk) | Projects | Site
bluestarultor is offline Add to bluestarultor's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #7
Marc v4.0
Fight Me, Nerds

Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Marc v4.0 will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestarultor View Post
Since I happen to be here anyway, basically fluoride being good for your teeth is unsubstantiated bullshit based on one guy observing one town back in the 1800s and despite all of its 2 inhabitants having disgustingly brown teeth from the high fluoride levels in the well water, nobody happened to have cavities at the time. From that point forward we've spent a good hundred years not going back and doing any fact-checking.

This seems a rather suspect presumtion.
Unread 05-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
phil_
Just sleeping

phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops.
Send a message via AIM to phil_ Send a message via Skype™ to phil_

I bet Dr. Strangelove was funnier back when the audience could pretend that the people in power couldn't possibly be that crazy.

Dr. Strangelove makes me cry and I never want to watch it again.
Unread 05-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #9
pochercoaster
rollerpocher tycoon

pochercoaster has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. pochercoaster has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. pochercoaster has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. pochercoaster has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. pochercoaster has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. pochercoaster has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. pochercoaster has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. pochercoaster has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. pochercoaster has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. pochercoaster has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve. pochercoaster has the dial turned up to eleven. Maybe twelve.
Send a message via AIM to pochercoaster Send a message via MSN to pochercoaster

This topic interests me as well. I've drunk distilled water for the majority of my life and have had few problems with my teeth besides some of them growing at weird angles and not being able to afford braces. (Yeah, I know anecdote =/= evidence...) It is difficult to find an unbiased source of information on the topic. On the one hand it seems like many people believe fluorine is good for you just because it's hammered into your head by Crest commercials. On the other hand I don't have any relevant education in biochemistry and I'm not going to pretend I'm more informed than a dentist. However it wouldn't surprise me if the addition of fluoride to water is unnecessary and actually doesn't make much of a difference in terms of your dental health.

Does the body actually require fluoride to be ingested? Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't fluoride benefit your teeth by coming into contact with the surface of the tooth (hence fluoridated toothpaste), not by being ingested? And if so, is simply brushing your teeth twice a day with fluoridated toothpaste so insufficient that we must drink it as well?

(This reminds me of how people react when I tell them I don't drink milk and consume very little dairy- they freak out because they think it's simply not possible for me to get enough calcium from other sources...)

That said, I don't think the city adding fluoride to water makes it EEEVIL or some weird conspiracy theory, just that it's some kind of semi-myth that councilors with good intentions believe and wish to implement because that's what you're supposed to do... Wouldn't surprise me if it falls out of practice.

Edit: Personally it doesn't bother me that much because I already filter my water (dunno if it filters out fluoride, though). If I'm missing out on some benefits eh, it's my fault. After living with well water for nearly a decade though I can't stand the taste of city water. I can even smell the chlorine in it when I shower and it drives me nuts, although that's unavoidable if I don't want to be contaminated XD

Last edited by pochercoaster; 05-28-2011 at 12:05 AM.
pochercoaster is offline Add to pochercoaster's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #10
Orcmeat
Tobidashite!

Orcmeat is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_ View Post
Dr. Strangelove makes me cry and I never want to watch it again.
That movie also greatly disturbed me. Much like the thought of being stuck in a Cracker Barrel during an earthquake. I mean, really; at what point did it become a great idea to hang farm utensils from the ceiling?

But in regards to the topic at hand.

Quote:
This seems a rather suspect presumtion.
Agreed. While I'm obviously no fluoride doctor (my own studies having been completed in the related, albeit tangentially, field of looking on in helpless despair as something dubious transpires in the foreground), a thorough search of Wikipedia has revealed that a 2000 'systematic review' of the efficacy of water fluoridation demonstrated an association of fluoridation with decreased cavities in children. This suggests that there's been a few less years than 100 spent without fact checking.

Of course, the link cited is now dead. Take that for what you will.

Last edited by Orcmeat; 05-28-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Orcmeat is offline Add to Orcmeat's Reputation   Reply With Quote