The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Dead threads
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 03-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
Bells
That's so PC of you

Location: In a Server-sided Dimension where time is meaningless
Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay!
Send a message via MSN to Bells Send a message via Skype™ to Bells
Default Decoding our social codes

You guys know this, right? We live surrounded by a series of unwritten codes and laws and sometimes we can get lost in the middle of all those "rules".

You know, there is the "Bro code" there is the "Gal Code" there is the "Old Pal code" there is the "Vegas code" there is the "Drunken night we don't remember: Rules of conduct" and all that...

And there is even the "Xverses" we have to apply those rules too... like, the Microverse (your RPG buddies, your soccer team, the football team) and the Megaverse (your neighbors, Your high school class, etc.)

Some of these rules are pretty basic and well know, but yet debatable such as "There is a 2-to-3 weeks "cool down" period minimum before you can ask the ex of a friend of yours on a date" or "a bud that holds your hair or head while you throw up is to be automatically promoted to Bro/Gal" or even "You owe a beer or beverage of choice to any one who tells a lie to save your ass"

You know, stuff like that...

So, have you ever faced these Social codes? Are you aware of any other rules that are/aren't or should be valid?

Bells is offline Add to Bells's Reputation  
Unread 03-19-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
Mondt
Wat

Mondt is a glorious beacon of painfully blinding light. Mondt is a glorious beacon of painfully blinding light.

You covered ex of a friend, but what about friend of an ex?

Gotta cover your bases.

Edit: This is a joke.

Man Laws should never be taken seriously.

Oh god don't kill me women of the forum.
Mondt is offline Add to Mondt's Reputation  
Unread 03-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
Bells
That's so PC of you

Location: In a Server-sided Dimension where time is meaningless
Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Bells slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay!
Send a message via MSN to Bells Send a message via Skype™ to Bells

Gal rules defines that you should never harm a man in public, but rather, spam mail all who he knows with false rumors... their organization is WAY more "organized" than ours. For god'sake people i'm joking... C'mon.

We still have problems defining a Hierarchy amongst Bud, Pal, Dude, "The Man", Bro, Guy and "Nickname".

Bells is offline Add to Bells's Reputation  
Unread 03-20-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
Amake
Keeper of the new

Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something.

My considered opinion is screw the unwritten rules. If you're following some code between friends and not telling me about it, you're no friend of mine. Literally. Friendship to me means full commitment, for life, and complete trust. If you don't trust me enough that you have to model your behavior with me according to some rules that were made up for you, I don't want to waste my time with you.

There's some rules for ya. Following them has left me with a number of friends that can be counted on one hand. I like it that way.
Amake is offline Add to Amake's Reputation  
Unread 03-20-2009, 02:46 AM   #5
CheshireThief
Still RaiRai's *****

CheshireThief will become famous soon enough. Eventually. Maybe.
Send a message via AIM to CheshireThief Send a message via MSN to CheshireThief Send a message via Yahoo to CheshireThief Send a message via Skype™ to CheshireThief

I think it's an unwritten rule of this forum that I show up and post when it's least expected.
Unread 03-20-2009, 02:57 AM   #6
Melfice
Vigilo - Confido

Melfice is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life. Melfice is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life. Melfice is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life. Melfice is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life.
Send a message via MSN to Melfice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireThief View Post
I think it's an unwritten rule of this forum that I show up and post when it's least expected.
Well, I certainly didn't expect it!
Consider me surprised.
Melfice is offline Add to Melfice's Reputation  
Unread 03-20-2009, 05:58 AM   #7
Osterbaum
The revolution will be memed!

Osterbaum is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Osterbaum is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Osterbaum is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Osterbaum is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Osterbaum is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Osterbaum is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Osterbaum is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. Osterbaum is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world.
Send a message via AIM to Osterbaum Send a message via MSN to Osterbaum Send a message via Skype™ to Osterbaum

Also, to add to that I think it's an unwritten rule for CT to be vague at best. And apparrently post off-topic!

What about more everyday "codes of conduct" such as the left side of an escalator is reserved for people who walk.
Unread 03-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
Madcow9000
With just a hint of lemon....

Madcow9000 will become famous soon enough. Eventually. Maybe.

I find the idea of social codes to be a bit ridiculous. Essentially if I want to make someone a friend it's because I feel like I can trust them, not because they guided me to the toilet to barf.

In my opinion if you're doing something because society and social rules tell you that you should, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons.
"I know not with what weapons the Third World War will be fought. But the Fourth World War will be fought by Splugorthian biowizardry and tatoomagic, with a liberal smattering of giant robots and mutant dogs."

-Albert Einstien
Madcow9000 is offline Add to Madcow9000's Reputation  
Unread 03-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
The Wizard Who Did It
The End of Evolution

The Wizard Who Did It is a glorious beacon of painfully blinding light. The Wizard Who Did It is a glorious beacon of painfully blinding light.
Send a message via AIM to The Wizard Who Did It Send a message via MSN to The Wizard Who Did It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcow9000 View Post
I find the idea of social codes to be a bit ridiculous. Essentially if I want to make someone a friend it's because I feel like I can trust them, not because they guided me to the toilet to barf.

In my opinion if you're doing something because society and social rules tell you that you should, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons.
But you're using your own comparatively untested and unproven logic instead of methods that have been worked out and made over years of dedicated work and research. Although you may feel a sense of familiarity with the person in question, expert studies show that you can only know who your real friend is if they pull your hair back when you barf. Until then, you can never be quite sure if the person is just manipulating you or if you are getting the wrong idea. A well-tested and unanimously agreed upon structure is the only logical method, as it allows people to relate easier and have a better understanding of the people around them. The alternative is awkwardness and misplaced assumptions, which can only lead to pain and agony.

For more details on our current social codes, buy my book "Why You Don't Talk To Other Guys In The Bathroom" at Amazon for $29.95!
Unread 03-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #10
MasterOfMagic
ahahah

MasterOfMagic is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life. MasterOfMagic is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life. MasterOfMagic is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life. MasterOfMagic is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard Who Did It View Post
For more details on our current social codes, buy my book "Why You Don't Talk To Other Guys In The Bathroom" at Amazon for $29.95!
That one actually seems to be going the way of the dodo, and its very disturbing.
MasterOfMagic is offline Add to MasterOfMagic's Reputation