The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Social > Drawing, writing, and other art
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 11-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #101
Ryong
Professional Threadkiller

Ryong hacked the Gibson. Ryong hacked the Gibson. Ryong hacked the Gibson. Ryong hacked the Gibson. Ryong hacked the Gibson. Ryong hacked the Gibson. Ryong hacked the Gibson.
Send a message via Skype™ to Ryong

Her upper body seems to be very stiff.
Ryong is offline Add to Ryong's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #102
Kyanbu The Legend
Local Rookie Indie Dev

Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero.
Send a message via MSN to Kyanbu The Legend

Alright, I'll fix that up. Also what about the cloak/cape?
Unread 12-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #103
Ryong
Professional Threadkiller

Ryong hacked the Gibson. Ryong hacked the Gibson. Ryong hacked the Gibson. Ryong hacked the Gibson. Ryong hacked the Gibson. Ryong hacked the Gibson. Ryong hacked the Gibson.
Send a message via Skype™ to Ryong

It's alright. Gotta see what happens to it if you change the torso though.

I suppose you're planning to have start/stop animations?
Ryong is offline Add to Ryong's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #104
Kyanbu The Legend
Local Rookie Indie Dev

Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero.

Yes, there will be an animation for when she stops too. Same goes for her running animation. Which will have a starting and stopping animation too.
Unread 12-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #105
Kyanbu The Legend
Local Rookie Indie Dev

Update: Still working on her running animation and tweaking the jogging animation.

In the mean time here's a WIP of a concept design for Somnus Castle, the castle of Dreams.

Which will be finshed sometime later this month/next month. This is one of what might be many attempts at designing this castle.

Last edited by Kyanbu The Legend; 12-21-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Kyanbu The Legend is offline Add to Kyanbu The Legend's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 01:35 AM   #106
Kyanbu The Legend
Local Rookie Indie Dev

Updates: Not much mostly just a question or two and a heads up.

First what do you think of "Somnus Castle" (The Castle of Dreams) design? I know that the CG isn't finished but a part of me feels like I should wait and see what others think of that concept design first. I'll post another after I've finished working on some more sprite animations.

And question number two. You may have noticed the somewhat realistic looking texture on the tree Sarina's standing on. Long story short, I went out into the woods, took some photos, and made some grey scaled textures out of them to use as a base for textures.

Do you think that realistic looking textures would look weird or off next to semi realistic/anime inspired characters and designs? Or do you think it won't hurt things all that much? Is it wrong of me to use photos I took to create real-ish looking textures?

Also probably won't have much up next week due to holiday reasons. I know updates have been slow. But now that I finished that commission, and will likely have a new tablet by January. things will start to pick up after Christmas.

Last edited by Kyanbu The Legend; 12-21-2013 at 02:14 AM.
Kyanbu The Legend is offline Add to Kyanbu The Legend's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #107
phil_
Just sleeping

phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. phil_ sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops.
Send a message via AIM to phil_ Send a message via Skype™ to phil_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyanbu The Legend View Post
First what do you think of "Somnus Castle" (The Castle of Dreams) design?
I think those turrets on the far left and right, the ones that look like rooks on a chess board, look like a cardboard cut-out of a castle. Maybe shading will help, but they don't look like structures that take up space and can be inhabited. I say all this having never drawn a satisfactory castle myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyanbu The Legend View Post
And question number two. You may have noticed the somewhat realistic looking texture on the tree Sarina's standing on...

Do you think that realistic looking textures would look weird or off next to semi realistic/anime inspired characters and designs? Or do you think it won't hurt things all that much? Is it wrong of me to use photos I took to create real-ish looking textures?
First, you can use your photos how you wish, as long as what's being photographed isn't a person. Ethically, I mean. I don't know the legality of using images of someone else's tree without their permission, but I don't think that will be an issue. Maybe you should find a photographer to ask.

Second, realistic textures next to cartoons works fine if it's done consistently. So don't just have one photo realistic hallway in a game of cartoon hallways and it shouldn't stick out much. Heck, half the time in non-fantasy anime the background is just a cityscape photo with a filter on it, so you're not without precedent.
Unread 12-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #108
Kyanbu The Legend
Local Rookie Indie Dev

Ok thank you for the feedback, Phil.
Unread 12-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #109
Kyanbu The Legend
Local Rookie Indie Dev

Update:

Been brain storming about the levels lately. And while the plan is to have each of the stages be around 2 to 3 minutes. I kinda feel like that might be too short.

Is 2 to 3 minutes too short? Would 5 to 7 minute long stages be just right or too long?

The game is for the most part intended to be fast paced. So it's not like you aren't going to be doing anything for too long. Especially not anything tedious.
Unread 12-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #110
rpgdemon
Not a Taco

rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years.

Make the levels long enough that they get you into the fun part and doing fun things, and short enough that they end before you get sick of it. Levels should end while they're still fun, not when you're sick of them. If you always end the level while the player is still enjoying it, it keeps them engaged and keeps them playing.

Edit: Also, no offense, but that concept art really doesn't show much of anything to talk about. Concept art needs to give you a good idea of what the thing is going to look/feel like, it's not just a rough sketch made early on in the process. You have it right in that it shouldn't take you long to draw, but there's a technique to getting just the right level of fidelity so that things are clearly illustrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard The 5th LW View Post
RPG has total "I told you so" privileges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard The 5th LW View Post
RPG still has total "I told you so" privileges.

Last edited by rpgdemon; 12-29-2013 at 10:53 PM.
rpgdemon is offline Add to rpgdemon's Reputation   Reply With Quote