The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Social > Computers & Technology
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 06-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Kyanbu The Legend
Local Rookie Indie Dev

Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero.
Send a message via MSN to Kyanbu The Legend
Tech Support Is Waccom really my only choice?

This weekend I'm getting a graphics tablet because everybody's doing it and well in order to move past my current skill level with graphics (getting into no lines, textures, and more detailed backgrounds and proper rendering, which I have to do or else live with the shame of being stopped in my tracks) I'm going to need more control, like near 100% control which I can't get on a mouse.

I have $500 of free money (due to my B-day coming up I guess,Uncle kind of just gave it to me out of the blue) and no intents of spending more then $150 of it on one thing. The question is as far as good tablets go is Waccom really my only choice?

I found an awesomely priced, 12" x 9" work space Adesso Cyber Tablet 12000 with sensitivity pen and mouse for $125, but it seems that every waccom user that's ever touched the thing has given it a bad review.

Am I really SOL on getting a nice size good tablet that's not the ever so expensive waccom models?

Cause I'd like to have the option of getting a 360 or 3DS later in the summer or heck right after I pick up the tablet.
Unread 06-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
stefan
Sent to the cornfield

stefan is like Reed Richards, but prettier. stefan is like Reed Richards, but prettier. stefan is like Reed Richards, but prettier. stefan is like Reed Richards, but prettier. stefan is like Reed Richards, but prettier. stefan is like Reed Richards, but prettier. stefan is like Reed Richards, but prettier.

you can get a good wacom for significantly less than 500.
stefan is offline Add to stefan's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 01:48 AM   #3
Amake
Keeper of the new

Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Amake broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something.

Yes, as far as I know Wacom is the only choice for good tablets. I think their competitors are usually a couple of powers of two degrees of pressure sensitivity behind, as a general indication of the difference. Such as, if a state of the art Wacom promises 256 levels of pressure sensitivity a competing brand would offer 32. At least that was the case when I bought my tablet. And I can tell you 32 levels does not make for a smooth life-like drawing experience.

More to the point, do you know the technical specs for this $125 model? Cause "Sensitivity pen" can mean anything.
Amake is offline Add to Amake's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 01:58 AM   #4
Kyanbu The Legend
Local Rookie Indie Dev

Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero. Kyanbu The Legend is a real American hero.

Yeah after digging up some more info, it seems the model I was looking at has a list of problems from a rough work area, to software support issues, to consistency problems with any stylus.

Welp guess I'm getting a Wacom then. Hate the Bamboo's tiny work area but I don't have too many options right now.

Last edited by Kyanbu The Legend; 06-11-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Kyanbu The Legend is offline Add to Kyanbu The Legend's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
Doc ock rokc
...Really?

Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts Doc ock rokc has almost as many rep points as they do fail posts

Waccom isn't your only choice however Waccom has a lot of advantages that other tablets do not. Majority of Photoshops special features can't be reached without a weccom tablet (even the tiny Bamboo) they are also Cheap without being cheap (as in well made but sold in bulk to have a lower price)
Doc ock rokc is offline Add to Doc ock rokc's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
Kyanbu The Legend
Local Rookie Indie Dev

Alright I've decided to get a Wacom (biggest one I can afford, might be a bamboo). should have it later tonight or tomorrow if my ride doesn't get back in time for me to make it to a store. It's 6:31pm where I'm at.
Unread 06-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
rpgdemon
Not a Taco

rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years.

I have a Bamboo, and I like it, for what it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard The 5th LW View Post
RPG has total "I told you so" privileges.
Quote:
RPG still has total "I told you so" privileges.
rpgdemon is offline Add to rpgdemon's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Kyanbu The Legend
Local Rookie Indie Dev

Forget it, it's not worth the embarrassment I got today just trying to find the damn thing. Fuck Wacom and fuck bamboo.

Last edited by Kyanbu The Legend; 06-12-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Kyanbu The Legend is offline Add to Kyanbu The Legend's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
rpgdemon
Not a Taco

rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years. rpgdemon has apparently made an impact on one or two people over the years.

What happened, dude?

Quote:
RPG has total "I told you so" privileges.
Quote:
RPG still has total "I told you so" privileges.
rpgdemon is offline Add to rpgdemon's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
Kyanbu The Legend
Local Rookie Indie Dev

Went out to get my tablet only to go to the wrong fucking store on a sunday a mere hour before everything closes. And my mom has this amazing ability to make you feel like absolute shit for making any kind of mistake then tries to kindly play that shit off as a life lesson. So I'm left standing in Office Depot (yes I went to a fucking office store for something that has nothing to due with office stuff... -_-) looking like a complete dumbass.

Then when we get home I rage quit on getting the tablet, cuss a bit and now I'm apparently getting kicked out unless I obey them... I got so pissed I actual walked out for an hour just walking for miles before coming full circle and ending up home again. All because of a fucking Wacom Tablet.

Seriously I fucking hate Wacom right now. Probably more then I hate myself.

So yeah Wacom can burn to the ground for all I care.