The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Dead threads
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 09-20-2005, 06:07 PM   #1
PhoenixFlame
☢!CAUTION!☢

PhoenixFlame is a name known to all, except that guy. PhoenixFlame is a name known to all, except that guy. PhoenixFlame is a name known to all, except that guy.
Default Happy Funtime DnD Discussion

Allright. We have Azizien's sheet, IHMN's sheet, Pyro's sheet, Zwei's sheet, and DB's sheet. Just waiting on Krylo's now.

So, now that everyone's statistics are finished, let's begin brainstorming your character backgrounds and personalities. Flesh those numbers out, people!

Remember, campaign setting is left open for your creative liscence, anything realistically fantasy is great.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Azisien's ranger[1].txt.txt (2.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: txt IHMN's Fighter Man sheet.txt (3.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: txt Pyro's sheet.txt (6.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: doc Zwei's sheet.doc (30.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: txt Jarin Ryneck.txt (3.4 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by PhoenixFlame; 09-20-2005 at 08:17 PM.
PhoenixFlame is offline Add to PhoenixFlame's Reputation  
Unread 09-20-2005, 09:08 PM   #2
Zweihander
You are not reading this.

Zweihander is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via AIM to Zweihander Send a message via Yahoo to Zweihander

My sheet with the bracers factored in is attached. I edited it in a previous post, but it looks like you missed it, sorry.

There really isn't much to a Monk's background, is there? Raised in a monastery, taught how to fight and the like. Since he left his home, he's been trying to bring lawbreakers to justice by way of adventuring. I'll try to think of more tomorrow.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Zwei_Sheet.rtf.zip (2.6 KB, 51 views)
Zweihander is offline Add to Zweihander's Reputation  
Unread 09-20-2005, 09:38 PM   #3
Azisien
wat

Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't.

Amendments to my character sheet:

Deity: None (I didn't much like my choices), or if possible, Nature.

Intelligence 16 [+3] (+1 from my 4th level attribute increase)

Languages: Common, Elven, Sylvan, Orc, Goblin

Listen (Wis) = 9 (7 + 2 racial, for my extra intelligence modifier)

Oh, I gain synergy bonuses for the following skills, apparently:

Knowledge (Nature) from Survival ranks.
Survival from Knowledge (Nature) in above ground natural areas.
Survival from Knowledge (Geography) for avoiding natural hazards.

Am I decent at living in the wild now? :P Okay, let's try and flesh out Tobias.

Background Information:

Tobias Gwyeilth is the fourth son of Kismet Gwyeilth, an elder druid of their home village. Outsiders would label the inhabitants of the village of Estarion as a bunch of xenophobic simpletons, but then the inhabitants of Estarion rarely met civil outsiders. Estarion is a very small village built beside a large lake, naturally named Lake Estarion, and populated almost entirely by elves (~90% elf).

The village deity is Ehlonna, and the majority of the Gwyeilth family tracing back for five generations have served her. The druidic arts are quite strong in the Gwyeilth family, and as a result over half of the family are, or claim to be druids. Kismet Gwyeilth was one such druid, taking up responsibilies such as blessing Estarion's crops, flora, and fauna, as well as teaching his sons, daughters, and other interested citizens in his trade.

Tobias knew from an early age he was the "odd Gwyeilth out." In his teens he lacked any kind of magical capability, and with that his aspirations to follow in his father's footsteps as an elder druid crumbled away. His father didn't quite give up on him, however, and pointed him in the direction of the village hunters. Tobias started training while still in his teens. "In the Wild, the weight of your armour serves only to hold you back, and the size of your sword will not save you if you cannot swing it with haste..." Tobias absorbed phrases like this for decades as he learned to the land, how to live off it, and how to live with it. As he reached adulthood he joined the ranks of the hunters and did whatever he could to honour his father.

Tobias grew up learning how to treat everything and everyone with honour and respect, and to pray to Ehlonna to guide his decisions. But Estarion was not a paradise, it had its problems. The far side of the lake gave way to a large area of marshland inhabited by orcs and goblins. Estarion and the marshland orcs have a history of conflict, even if the majority of the villagers are pacifists. While the villagers of Estarion live a peaceful, generally happy life free of strict laws, the orcs and goblins have no problem raping and pillaging their land, and when it suits them, Estarion.

The village is not without some defense, Tobias was taught by professional hunters after all. But Estarion is a very small village, and the orcs and goblins would often prevail by numbers alone. Tobias grew up enduring some harder years when the orc attacks were vicious and frequent, and as he watched some of the horror first-hand his sense of morality was warped. Tobias was taught to bond with nature and hence be neutral in his decisions as nature is neutral in all it's glory. But Tobias decided for himself, that even if Nature itself allowed for such terrible things as orcs to live and spread destruction, he could not. Tobias and the hunters spent time near or sometimes in the orc marshlands and he became fluent in their language in time. "If peace is not an option, it is in your best interest to know your enemy's weakness."

Tobias lived in Estarion for several decades after reaching adulthood and sought further mastery in his trade. His hate for the orcs and goblins of the marshlands grew in time and over a hundred have died by to his swords. But their numbers again defeated even the skilled warriors of Estarion, and Tobias was nearly killed in an orc raid one year before he left Estarion. He survived, along with most of the defenders, but many of the raiders broke through the lines and reached the village. Aurefina Gwyeilth, Tobias' mother, was murdered in cold blood by an orc. Tobias recovered with the help of the healing magic provided by the village druids, and spent the next months learning about the lands beyond Estarion, the lake, the marsh, and the surrounding forests. His mission was clear now, and a pacifist's neutrality would not be able to do his mother's life proper justice. Ignoring words of wisdom from his father, Tobias stormed out of Estarion carrying only a waterskin and an amulet his mother gave him.

He started adventuring, learning more tricks of his trade and killing orcs wherever he encountered them. He eventually came to more civilized lands and gained newfound respect for the law and order towns and cities provided for their citizens. He gained some minor fortune and renown for undoing evils when he could, or if the evil was orcish, when he heard the name. With the fortune he bought newer weapons and armour with which to slay his enemies, and a faithful mount to lighten his burdens. In the towns and cities he has learned that even with his training in survival skills, it doesn't hurt to keep supplies nearby.

He has been adventuring for two and a half years now.

Personality:

Tobias is intelligent, but that is as far as his positive traits go. He can be head-strong at times, a side-effect of being the "Odd Gwyeilth Out," and he is quite antisocial, a side-effect of growing up in a closely-knit community of elves far from greater civilization. Any full-fledged xenophobia has since evaporated during his adventuring, but interpersonal skills with non-elves are usually awkward at best.
Azisien is offline Add to Azisien's Reputation  
Unread 09-21-2005, 01:40 AM   #4
Krylo
The Straightest Shota

Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat]. Krylo is [censored for Unusual use of a goat].

I really don't have time to do a background, but I got the character sheet done.

The <-> things are spells I have prepared at the beginning.. and probably will be preparing unless reasons comes up for me to do elsewise.

Also: If there's anything wrong, tell me. This is all of the second proper DnD character I've made and the first caster.

Oh... and which spells can't I use with my alignment? Some I think are pretty obvious (animate dead) but others I'm unsure (inflict wounds, curse, etc.)
Unread 09-21-2005, 06:07 AM   #5
PhoenixFlame
☢!CAUTION!☢

PhoenixFlame is a name known to all, except that guy. PhoenixFlame is a name known to all, except that guy. PhoenixFlame is a name known to all, except that guy.

Any spell that has an [Evil] Descriptor, if you're Good, or a [Chaos] or [Law] descriptor if you're opposed to either.

Example, an LG cleric can neither cast "Chaos Hammer" or "Animate Dead" because both have descriptors opposed to his alignment.

Azizien: That's rather wow. Excellent Job.

Zweihander: Doesn't have to be complex, so long as I just know where your character comes from.
Unread 09-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #6
Zweihander
You are not reading this.

Zweihander is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via AIM to Zweihander Send a message via Yahoo to Zweihander

Hrm. Is it too late to change my character's class? I'll keep the attributes I have, but I've been overcome with a sudden urge to play something else.
Zweihander is offline Add to Zweihander's Reputation  
Unread 09-21-2005, 06:10 PM   #7
PhoenixFlame
☢!CAUTION!☢

Not too late, since we haven't started. T'would seem everyone is stuck on backgrounds.
Unread 09-21-2005, 06:30 PM   #8
Azisien
wat

Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't.

Come on guys, I'm sure we'd make due with a generic DnD background, nice stereotypical class origin. :P Maybe you need the Hero Builder's Guide or whatever that book was called...
Azisien is offline Add to Azisien's Reputation  
Unread 09-21-2005, 06:34 PM   #9
Incendius
Magikoopa

Incendius is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via AIM to Incendius Send a message via Skype™ to Incendius

I am really stuck on the backround.... the only ones I can think of are steriotypical. Like "I studied all my life to be magey yay!" or "Waah im an half elven outcast ".

- Sun Tzu The art of war
Incendius is offline Add to Incendius's Reputation  
Unread 09-21-2005, 06:53 PM   #10
PhoenixFlame
☢!CAUTION!☢

Pyros, sterotypical is common. Generic is sterotypical. It's not who you are, it's what you do with it.

Azizien's background is a rather sterotypical elven ranger, but it's rather impressive in it's detail.

A few classic ideas. (I perfer "Classic" because everyone loves that, yet loathes "Sterotypical" for some reason.)

Rogue: Street urchin mentored by a master theif, becomes a theif himself. Professional military scout.
Paladin: Nobleman aspiring since birth for knighthood, adventuers in the name of his god or king.
Fighter: Gladiator, Military NCO, fighters could be anyone.
Wizard: Grew up as a scholar, trained in a wizard's lyceum for most of his adult life.
Monk: Ascetic religious or nonreligious man, trained in a monestary and learned martial arts. Adventuers in the name of his cause.
Cleric: Same as rogue, except he has been taken in by a temple and set on a more righteous path.

The possibilities are endless, really.

Last edited by PhoenixFlame; 09-21-2005 at 07:02 PM.
PhoenixFlame is offline Add to PhoenixFlame's Reputation