The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Dead threads
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 03-11-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
The Wandering God
THE SUPREME COURT DID WHAT?

The Wandering God is a name known to all, except that guy. The Wandering God is a name known to all, except that guy.
Default Slow/Unresponsive Internet

Okay, so I just got my new computer and ordered a cable modem internet service from Cox. (There mid-level package, but I can't quote the exact numbers right now.)

When the technician went to do a check on the cable line, he said it was a pretty poor connection. It's probably b/c the place I'm staying at has been sub-divided pretty extensively. The original reading sounded something along the lines of -27 out of -40. (I have no idea what that means.) He went down to check the cable box, and when he came back to do another test, he said the connection was fine.

After that, hooking up the modem and getting online via an ethernet direct connection was taken care of. The pages loaded fast and he even ran a speed test which he described as fast.

He left and I surfed for a little while, downloading programs like avast, spybot, etc. All this was done at a very nice speed and with no problems. Then I tried hooking up my new wireless router.

It started off okay, the set-up wizard said everything was hooked up all right. But it was when I tried activating the security protection that I got a headache. Because there were a couple of different passwords to remember, not to mention a username which I don't even remember being given, I was having trouble making it all work out. So, I figured I'd just unhook it all, and hook the modem directly back to the notebook.

Except now the pages load SIGNIFICANTLY more slowly. Or half the time, not at all. I kept running the diaganostic check that comes with Vista, and got this message.

"Modem or router is not available"
it gave me a list of possible solutions.
->A problem with your network router or broadband modem might be preventing an Internet connection.
Solution: Unplug modem, try again. (Didn't work)

->Automatically get new IP settings for the network adapter "Local Area Connection"
Tried that, didn't work

->Reset the network adapter "Local Area Network"
Also, didn't work.

But it would sometimes say it detected NO problems.

Interesting, I got this message when I tried using Firefox and it failed to load a page.

"Connection Interrupted

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again."

That makes sense, though, since sometimes pages will load (slowly), but sometimes not at all.

I tried calling my Internet Service Provider.

They pinged my machine and said that was fine. They asked for my IP addy and said that was fine. They told me to unplug my modem while they... I forget exactly what he said, but after I plugged it back in, surprise, didn't work.

The PC *EDIT* The PC light is blinking on and off very regulary, like a clock or heartbeat *EDIT* and Cable lights on the modem are staying lit, but the sending/receiving lights are only flashing very briefly.

They are sending a technician out to come take a look at what the hell happened.

I realize you might not be able to help very much if at all, but anything would be great. Just narrowing down the possibilities if nothing else. I'm taking my notebook to school tomorrow just to double check and make sure it's not the notebook.

I think it's one of two things:

1. Faulty wiring in the building.

2. When I was trying to set up my wireless router, I really screwed something up.

If you need any further info, I'll be glad to supply it.

The Wandering God

EDIT:
Also, here is my wireless router and notebook.
My notebook hooks up to the wireless network at my school and surfs just fine.

I think I've narrowed down the problem to there being something wrong between the modem and the notebook. Maybe when I was trying to hook up my ethernet cable again, I didn't secure it enough? (At the time, I didn't try unplugging and plugging that back in. Very dumb in retrospect.) Obviously, I'll try that again when I get home.

If it's not that though, what possible problems could there be between the modem and my notebook?

EDIT 2:
Well, when I hooked up my notebook back to my modem, I noticed that the PC light kept flashing on and off, very regulary like a clock or heartbeat. Shouldn't it stay lit without flashing continuously like that?

Also, could a mod change the title to "Modem/Notebook Communication Problem" since I think that would be a lot more informative. Thanks.

EDIT 3:
Well, after a system restore, things seems to be working perfectly fine again. I still have no idea what went wrong though, and am a little afraid to try setting up my router again.

Last edited by The Wandering God; 03-12-2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Further thoughts/developments
The Wandering God is offline Add to The Wandering God's Reputation