The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Social > Playing Games
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 09-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #21
walkertexasdruid
I am the One

walkertexasdruid is a glorious beacon of painfully blinding light. walkertexasdruid is a glorious beacon of painfully blinding light.

I am also a fan of Castlevania. How did the most recent game on the PS3 (and I think 360) stack up against my favs, Super Castlevania 4, Symphony of the Night, and Lamant of Innocence?
Unread 10-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #22
Azisien
wat

Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't. Azisien can secretly fly, but doesn't, because it would make everyone else feel bad that they can't.

Harmony of Despair? It's an awesome multiplayer game. I had a ton of fun with it.
Azisien is offline Add to Azisien's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 01:55 AM   #23
BahamutFlare
Troopa

BahamutFlare is a glorious beacon of painfully blinding light. BahamutFlare is a glorious beacon of painfully blinding light.

I actually bought Harmony of Despair just a couple weeks ago. Never heard of it until right now. And I love it. Everybody in multiplayer is so much better than I am with DPS, but I'm sure at some point, I'll get there.

My biggest praise with it is the difficulty. Lament of Innocence was hard on it's highest difficulty. HoD is also pretty difficult on it's hard mode. I usually breeze through every Castlevania and most games in general. But just wow. I felt like I actually needed to find better items and become more powerful to continue on.

With Legend of Dragoon, my difficulty lies in the item management. I don't like the status effecting items and have a hard time dealing with knowing how many healing, reviving, and status items. I only made it to the third disc, so I have no idea what I'm going to be up against. I just went through trying to find as much stuff on my own playing at my own pace.
BahamutFlare is offline Add to BahamutFlare's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 02:24 AM   #24
Locke cole
Would you like to save your game?

Locke cole is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. Locke cole is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. Locke cole is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. Locke cole is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. Locke cole is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. Locke cole is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. Locke cole is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. Locke cole is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. Locke cole is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two.

There are some pretty good JRPGs thave have come out recently. Xenoblade is the standout title.

Arc Rise Fantasia is... weirdly decent. Like, the story is sort of "poor man's Tales of", down to a coliseum with an inexplicable exhibition match against previous heroes from the series it's in, and the voice acting flits between mediocre and atrocious, and it takes some time for the battle system to hit its stride (it's one of those "alright, another hour has passed, here's another piece of the battle system" things), but when it's firing on all cylinders, it's really good. It's an interesting experiment, and the battle system is kinda deep for a turn-based game.
Locke cole is offline Add to Locke cole's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #25
Ecks
GHOST BOTTOMED DICK FACE

Ecks is the belle of the ball. Ecks is the belle of the ball. Ecks is the belle of the ball. Ecks is the belle of the ball. Ecks is the belle of the ball.
Send a message via AIM to Ecks Send a message via Skype™ to Ecks

i might be alone in this, but i feel skyward sword was a fantastic addition to the series. and despite the handholding (dammit fi stop reminding me of navi) i found it a lot more challenging. particularly if you bothered to attempt hero mode (holy fuck was that a thrill). to the person who said "could not get into it" could you clarify a bit? what was it that turned you off?

as far as other modern vs. classic/retro stuff is concerned, i still sit in the middle of the spectrum. i would love to be able to have the best of both worlds. i enjoyed skyrim, arkham city, ACR, and SS (as i mentioned above) but i still go back and play stuff i fondly remember like pokemon red, mario sunshine, ocarina of time, jak and daxter (jak II and 3 as well).

i don't think it's a bad thing to be into the older stuff these days, a lot of games that come out don't deliver on their promises or are so laden down with overhyped and overmarketed bullshit that just looking at a game case can make you go "oh boy, it's that fucking modern warcraft shit again, think i'll keep my $60 for a dvd box set"

when you look at the box art (or whathaveyou) for a beloved classic you go "damn, a childhood well spent!" or some such nonsense, i dunno, i don't know what you guys did in your youth and adolescence

Last edited by Ecks; 10-01-2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: boy i can't spell for shit today
Ecks is offline Add to Ecks's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #26
Locke cole
Would you like to save your game?

Locke cole is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. Locke cole is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. Locke cole is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. Locke cole is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. Locke cole is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. Locke cole is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. Locke cole is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. Locke cole is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two. Locke cole is one of Jay-Z's 99 problems. Possibly two.

Man, I love Skyward Sword. I liked it more than Twilight Princess (the sense of urgency doesn't pop halfway through the game), and I dunno if I can ever go back to a 3D Zelda game without a sprint function. Except for Majora's Mask, of course.
Locke cole is offline Add to Locke cole's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #27
Ramary
HE OPENS THE DOOR TO HIS DARK PAST

Ramary is a name known to all, except that guy. Ramary is a name known to all, except that guy. Ramary is a name known to all, except that guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecks View Post
to the person who said "could not get into it" could you clarify a bit? what was it that turned you off?

It felt bland to me, I don't know. Plus the sword controls never worked right for me, and I was not liking that first temple you go into. This was on top of that horrendously slow start that seems to be in every Zelda game now. I don't mind "everything is normal" starts if done well, like Half-Life, but every Zelda seems to do it lately and they never do it well since it takes too fucking long for stuff to pick up.

EDIT: In addition, Fi stopping me every 5 seconds to point out the obvious is terrible. At least most of Navi's things were optional.

Last edited by Ramary; 10-01-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Ramary is offline Add to Ramary's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #28
Magus
Archer and Armstrong vs. the World

Magus broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Magus broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Magus broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Magus broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Magus broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Magus broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Magus broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Magus broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Magus broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Magus broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something. Magus broke the dial off at twelve but is probably at infinity or something.
Send a message via AIM to Magus

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkertexasdruid View Post
I am also a fan of Castlevania. How did the most recent game on the PS3 (and I think 360) stack up against my favs, Super Castlevania 4, Symphony of the Night, and Lamant of Innocence?
Glad to hear someone else liked Lament of Innocence. It was enormously underrated, and fixed most of the problems that had arisen with 3D Castlevania games (problems reintroduced in Curse of Darkness, unfortunately). I haven't had a chance to play Lords of Shadow yet, though, although Harmony of Despair is supposed to be pretty good, I've heard great things about it, and not just from people here, BUT it's basically a multiplayer game, so keep that in mind.

Last edited by Magus; 10-01-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Magus is offline Add to Magus's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #29
walkertexasdruid
I am the One

walkertexasdruid is a glorious beacon of painfully blinding light. walkertexasdruid is a glorious beacon of painfully blinding light.

My sister said she is getting me Valkyria Chronicles for Christmas, is this something I should be looking forward to?
Unread 10-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #30
greed
Whoa we got a tough guy here.

greed bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. greed bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. greed bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. greed bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. greed bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted. greed bakes the most delicious cookies you've ever tasted.

It's a good game, whose only real problem is a couple of utterly bullshit difficulty spikes. Other than that it's really quite fun and pretty unique.
greed is offline Add to greed's Reputation   Reply With Quote