The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Dead threads
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 03-24-2008, 11:39 PM   #1
Solid Snake
Erotic Esquire

Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Solid Snake didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way.
Send a message via AIM to Solid Snake
Default After the Period: One Space or Two?!?

So I'm not technically sure whether this topic qualifies as "computer hardware and software," though it does rather intimately involve typing documents on Microsoft Word and its ilk.

I recently got into a surprising argument with other members of my family regarding whether or not to put one blank space or two blank spaces between a period and the first word of a new sentence.

You can already tell which method I use. (That's one space between the period and a new word, or in this particular case, one space between the period and a parentheses.)

My father, mother, and younger sister *ALL* use two spaces, then a new word. So it looks something like this. Read it. And. Weep.

EDIT: It appears that Nuklearpower forums prevents two spaces after periods! So let's try this. Read it.__And.__Weep. (Imagine there are two spaces instead of two "_" there.)

So I mean, have I been taught to type for the past however-many years on lies?!?! Interestingly I've never been penalized on a paper I've written for high school or college for only putting one space after the period (and exclamation point, and question mark.)
Unread 03-25-2008, 12:09 AM   #2
Rant_S_S
The New Ultimate Jesus

Rant_S_S is reputed to be..repu..tational. Yes.
Send a message via MSN to Rant_S_S

Two periods is the old way they used because of something to do with the exact spacing of a typewriters. From what I gather most people use one space these days.

FIRE!
Rant_S_S is offline Add to Rant_S_S's Reputation  
Unread 03-25-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
Demetrius
In need of a vacation

Demetrius is like one of those neat quartz stones you find at the beach.
Send a message via AIM to Demetrius Send a message via Yahoo to Demetrius

I have always used two spaces, not doing so triggers this odd OCD thing and I must fix it. Thank you so very much for pointing out that NPF filters that out, now I'm really not going to be able to sleep.
~DFM

Wii bishie bishie kawaii baka! ~ Fifthfiend
Demetrius is offline Add to Demetrius's Reputation  
Unread 03-25-2008, 01:14 AM   #4
POS Industries
Argus Agony

POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them. POS Industries will strap all reputation givers to balloons and kidnap them.
Send a message via AIM to POS Industries

Learning to type on a computer, I was always taught to use two spaces, as it better differentiates between sentences. Not only is it a reflex to do so at this point, but I also continue to do it here out of spite for the forum code.

Last edited by POS Industries; 03-25-2008 at 01:55 AM.
POS Industries is offline Add to POS Industries's Reputation  
Unread 03-25-2008, 01:24 AM   #5
Fifthfiend
for all seasons

Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare. Fifthfiend has indicated, by your reading this, that they are now President and you have to fart gourmet mustard arugula into your Obamacare.
Send a message via AIM to Fifthfiend

I've done both; my English teachers forced me into the two-space habit until my Journalism teacher beat it out of me. AFAIK most printed publications use one space, whatever that's worth to you.
Unread 03-25-2008, 02:32 AM   #6
bananarama
Old Gregg

bananarama will become famous soon enough. Eventually. Maybe.
Send a message via AIM to bananarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS Industries
Learning to type on a computer, I was always taught to use two spaces, as it better differentiates between sentences. Not only is it a reflex to do so at this point, but I also continue to do it here out of spite for the forum code.
So do I. I don't know why I always put 2 spaces after sentences... maybe it was the way I was taught in typing class. In any case, while typing, if I see a single space separating a sentence, I flip out and I have to fix it immediately. So yeah I'm with Dem and POS on this one...
bananarama is offline Add to bananarama's Reputation  
Unread 03-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
shiney
Derrrrrrrrrrrrrp.

shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history.
Send a message via AIM to shiney Send a message via Yahoo to shiney

Most printed publications use one space as it saves on additional paper and thus money, but technically the grammatically correct way is two spaces. I have always used two, but then at the same time I never really gave that much thought to it.
Unread 03-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
I_Like_Swordchucks
An Animal I Have Become

I_Like_Swordchucks will become famous soon enough. Eventually. Maybe.
Send a message via MSN to I_Like_Swordchucks

As a science boy I was always told to do one space and one space only. Really, for personal purposes, it doesn't matter much. English teachers just have this habit of 'it has to be THIS way' even though that attitude is totally wrong. For publication purposes, one space is the standard, and since publication purposes are the only ones that really matter in the real world I stick with my one space.

Quote:
I'm just pointing out that the universe really shouldn't exist at all and it's highly suspicious that it does.
I_Like_Swordchucks is offline Add to I_Like_Swordchucks's Reputation  
Unread 03-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
Lady Cygnet
Hasn't changed her avatar in years

Lady Cygnet is a name known to all, except that guy. Lady Cygnet is a name known to all, except that guy.
Send a message via ICQ to Lady Cygnet Send a message via AIM to Lady Cygnet Send a message via Yahoo to Lady Cygnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Swordchucks
For publication purposes, one space is the standard, and since publication purposes are the only ones that really matter in the real world I stick with my one space.
Once I started doing technical writing on the side, I discovered that one space after a period is the acceptable format. For fiction and articles of that nature, two spaces is still the norm. It's taking forever for my editors to beat the two-space habit out of me, but I'm starting to remember, and I may even tweak Word to bitch at me when I forget, if I can.
Lady Cygnet is offline Add to Lady Cygnet's Reputation  
Unread 03-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
I_Like_Swordchucks
An Animal I Have Become

I_Like_Swordchucks will become famous soon enough. Eventually. Maybe.
Send a message via MSN to I_Like_Swordchucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Cygnet
Once I started doing technical writing on the side, I discovered that one space after a period is the acceptable format. For fiction and articles of that nature, two spaces is still the norm.
Yeah, I was speaking as a science boy. Things I'd publish would very seldom be fictional.

Quote:
I'm just pointing out that the universe really shouldn't exist at all and it's highly suspicious that it does.
I_Like_Swordchucks is offline Add to I_Like_Swordchucks's Reputation