Nuklear Power Forums  

Go Back   Nuklear Power Forums > Social > Computers & Technology
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 04-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Loyal
Making it happen.

Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops.
Send a message via AIM to Loyal Send a message via MSN to Loyal Send a message via Skype™ to Loyal
Default "Hard Disk SMART. Status BAD, Backup and Replace"

This Week, In Loyal's Shit Keeps Breaking...

So, any time I start up the computer I immediately get the error message above. In full, it reads, "SATA2 Hard Disk, S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace." After which it prompts me to press F1 to continue, before continuing to boot up. Obviously not a good thing, much less normal, but it's been going on for a couple months (starting about a month after I installed Windows 7) and hasn't been accompanied by any performance problems I can notice... until last week.

Starting last week, after starting up the computer (from a restart or just turning the machine on), I would boot up, log in, and then suddenly bluescreen after a few minutes. The computer would then reboot and run as normal (though I still get the error message). This process has been very consistent.

As of a few hours ago, however, it's degraded further. If I choose to boot up the computer normally, everything but the mouse becomes totally unresponsive about a minute or so after the desktop loads up. On the other hand the computer runs as well as it should in Safe Mode.

I have my Windows 7 install disc and have my important things backed up, so I can just wipe everything again if I need to. What concerns me, though, is the error message, which leaves me believing that perhaps the solution is rather to replace a particular part of the computer. I'm guessing the part I need to replace is the hard drive (it would figure, four years old and the only part of the computer I haven't replaced), but I'd like some second opinions and, perhaps, a bandaid fix so I can continue my work in the meantime until I can afford a replacement.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Tumblr. Twitter. Feel free to follow.
Loyal is offline Add to Loyal's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
Krylo
The Straightest Shota

Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way.

Hard drives are cheap as dirt, and yes you need a new one.

No real band aid fix if you let it go on long enough that it won't start up without blue screening at all that I know of.
Unread 04-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
synkr0nized
The Evil Within

synkr0nized can afford to hire someone to poop for them. synkr0nized can afford to hire someone to poop for them. synkr0nized can afford to hire someone to poop for them. synkr0nized can afford to hire someone to poop for them. synkr0nized can afford to hire someone to poop for them. synkr0nized can afford to hire someone to poop for them. synkr0nized can afford to hire someone to poop for them. synkr0nized can afford to hire someone to poop for them. synkr0nized can afford to hire someone to poop for them. synkr0nized can afford to hire someone to poop for them. synkr0nized can afford to hire someone to poop for them.
Send a message via ICQ to synkr0nized Send a message via AIM to synkr0nized Send a message via MSN to synkr0nized Send a message via Skype™ to synkr0nized
Default worse if it makes noises

Wikipedia is a lazy thing to cite, but for further reading on S.M.A.R.T.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

Replace the drive with a new one. Fortunately you were already cool with formatting. You could also clone your drive to the new one.

"Do you really want to live in a world of stasis? Where nothing changes...?"
synkr0nized is offline Add to synkr0nized's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Krylo
The Straightest Shota

Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way. Krylo didn't even know you could use a corkscrew in that way.

Maybe. I had S.M.A.R.T. inform me of the same issue, and cloning my drive wouldn't work.

Or rather I couldn't get the cloned data to properly load onto the new drive. It had some corruption somewhere that caused an error around the 70% complete mark (I tried a few times, failed at about the same spot each time), which, I guess, isn't all that unexpected.

I replaced it relatively quickly however and I was able to manually pull the data I wanted off and onto the new one. I actually still have my failing drive sitting in my computer, just not hooked up.
Unread 04-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
Loyal
Making it happen.

Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops. Loyal sucks!  Wait, rules.  Oops.
Send a message via AIM to Loyal Send a message via MSN to Loyal Send a message via Skype™ to Loyal

Guess I'm in the market for a hard drive, then. Any decently cheap recommendations?
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Unread 04-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
Krylo
The Straightest Shota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal View Post
Guess I'm in the market for a hard drive, then. Any decently cheap recommendations?
How much storage do you want and how cheap is decently cheap?
Unread 04-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
Nikose Tyris
Defiant with his thrusters

Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay!
Send a message via AIM to Nikose Tyris Send a message via MSN to Nikose Tyris Send a message via Yahoo to Nikose Tyris Send a message via Skype™ to Nikose Tyris

500GB drives seem to be the optimal price point where you get the most bang for your buck.

Example:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...473&CatId=2681

That's with literally twenty minutes of looking. I'm sure you can find better than that elsewhere.
Nikose Tyris is offline Add to Nikose Tyris's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
Loyal
Making it happen.

Default A reminder that I am not as computer savvy as I would like to believe.

Should I be concerned about any compatibility issues with the rest of my hardware or do I only need to make sure it connects to the motherboard properly?

Also, my current hard drive is very firmly planted inside the computer's case and I'm not sure I can remove it* without removing a number of screws I can't even reliably reach, much less replace later when the time comes. Would that be a significant factor in installation?

Is there anything else I should know before replacing a hard drive? Do I need to do anything special or should it be ready to go as soon as I install Windows 7 right on? Will I be unable to install the Windows 7 I have onto the new drive, or is it possible to "move" the license onto the new drive? Will that even be necessary?
Unread 04-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Nikose Tyris
Defiant with his thrusters

Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay! Nikose Tyris slew the jabberwocky! Callooh! Callay!
Send a message via AIM to Nikose Tyris Send a message via MSN to Nikose Tyris Send a message via Yahoo to Nikose Tyris Send a message via Skype™ to Nikose Tyris

Jesus christ I hate myself for saying it but if you don't think you can do it reliably, go somewhere and pay a professional to do it.

What you need and also a couple things to make this easy for you:
1) Plastic Baggy for screws
2) Screwdriver
3) Elastic Bands [Small ones.]

Keep all the screws. Remove both sides of the tower. Remove the (4) screws that should be holding the drive in place, and place the screws in the baggy, and close it up. If you have a camera, feel free to post pictures.

Remove the cables attached to the hard drive. There should be 2. IDEALLY, they are a single Black relatively thick one, and a smaller black one. That defines it as a SATA drive. Put your elastic band around those two heads, not because it is necessary, but so that you can easily identify the cords for later re-attachment.

The hard drive, now unscrewed and unattached to cables, should be sitting loosely in it's little box in the tower. Give it a gentle tug; it's dead anyway and you can take the time to examine this one as you pull it out. Feel free to manhandle it, because it cannot hurt you. If you feel exploratory, break it open later to get at it's innards, make something pretty.

Reinstalling is pretty much everything I just said backwards. [Minus the manhandling and disassembly of the hard disk.] Shove it into place, hook up the two cables, and then gently screw it into place.

The screwing it in is going to be the only part you need to be exceedingly careful. While it won't cause immediate damage, overtightening the screws can damage your hard drive. Basic rule of thumb is that once the screws are on, just thumb them as tight as you can. [so the rule of thumb is to use your thumb. wee look at that.]

The drive I linked shoooould work? If the cables are different then how I described [like, if you have a pin connector for some godforsaken reason then you're using a PATA hard drive and will spend even less money I guess?]

Edit: I think I addressed all your questions? If I didn't post again and repeat them. Also there are very likely youtube videos on this subject too if that would be an easier learning resource than reading.
Nikose Tyris is offline Add to Nikose Tyris's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
Loyal
Making it happen.

I'm fairly certain I can install it with instructions. I was able to do so for the motherboard, RAM, and CPU. And those were some nice instructions.

That said, I'm still concerned about
Quote:
Do I need to do anything special or should it be ready to go as soon as I install Windows 7 right on? Will I be unable to install the Windows 7 I have onto the new drive, or is it possible to "move" the license onto the new drive? Will that even be necessary?
or in other words I have no idea how I might transfer the contents of my old drive to the new one.