The Warring States of NPF  

Go Back   The Warring States of NPF > Social > Computers & Technology
User Name
Password
Mark Forums Read
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Join Chat

View First Unread View First Unread   Click to unhide all tags.Click to hide all tags.  
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
RobinStarwing
C.M.B.A.S.O.B

RobinStarwing is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life. RobinStarwing is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life. RobinStarwing is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life. RobinStarwing is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life.
Send a message via Yahoo to RobinStarwing
Tech Support Robin is shopping for a Laptop! You get to help!

So, as Flare can confirm...I once again got around to playing Star Trek Online through my netbook mainly but also using my Grandma's 6yo E-machine (which plays it better then my 2yo Toshiba N550 Netbook surprisingly). I've decided that should all else...I want to get a good budget Laptop to play it on at home when not at my grandma's and want help shopping around for one that meets these requirements:

1) $500 spending limit - This could go up depending on what you guys reccomend but not by much.

2) MUST meet or exceed Star Trek Online's System Requirements with at least a 100-200Gb Hard Drive and 1GB or more of DDR-RAM. No DVD-rom needed. Following requirements are.

Quote:

Operating System: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+

RAM Memory: 1GB RAM

Hard Disk: 10GB Free Disk Space

Graphic Display: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics

Sound Drivers: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard

DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
Exceeding these would just be gravy on the meat and potatoes to play STO. Also wouldn't mind if any of you have said laptop sitting around and want to give it a good home where it will be used and taken care of.

Accept No Substitutes
Also known as "The Least Interesting Man in The World" according to multiple surveys
RobinStarwing is offline Add to RobinStarwing's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
shiney
Derrrrrrrrrrrrrp.

shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history.
Send a message via AIM to shiney Send a message via Yahoo to shiney

You're in Minnesota right? Go to Microcenter. It's in st. Louis Park I think. Just go there aand throw money at your problem.
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Nikose Tyris
Trash Goblin

Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday!
Send a message via AIM to Nikose Tyris Send a message via MSN to Nikose Tyris Send a message via Yahoo to Nikose Tyris Send a message via Skype™ to Nikose Tyris

...You are one of those people that are quoting things that you've heard before to sound smart, and don't seem to acknowledge that you're talking to the tech department.

If we recommended a machine with DDR ram I think McTahr would ban us for incompetence.

Anyway here: You have about 25 hours from time of posting this to order it at it's sale price, this machine should cover your bases.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...sku=T70-150062

you can add another stick of RAM to that to bump it up to 8GB if you're okay with your final price being $600 instead of $500 but
eh
this will do

ps Intel HD Graphics on this machine because Laptops for gaming kind of suck / having an actual solid video card is kind of balls expensive.
Nikose Tyris is offline Add to Nikose Tyris's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
RobinStarwing
C.M.B.A.S.O.B

RobinStarwing is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life. RobinStarwing is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life. RobinStarwing is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life. RobinStarwing is a ray of sunshine lighting up your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney View Post
You're in Minnesota right? Go to Microcenter. It's in st. Louis Park I think. Just go there aand throw money at your problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikose Tyris View Post
...You are one of those people that are quoting things that you've heard before to sound smart, and don't seem to acknowledge that you're talking to the tech department.

If we recommended a machine with DDR ram I think McTahr would ban us for incompetence.

Anyway here: You have about 25 hours from time of posting this to order it at it's sale price, this machine should cover your bases.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...sku=T70-150062

you can add another stick of RAM to that to bump it up to 8GB if you're okay with your final price being $600 instead of $500 but
eh
this will do

ps Intel HD Graphics on this machine because Laptops for gaming kind of suck / having an actual solid video card is kind of balls expensive.

I unfortunately don't have the money to throw at it right now. I am going to be saving up and either by Summer or end of 2013 might have the money to buy it. >_>

EDIT: Also acceptable is a PCI Graphics Card with Vertex Shader. Nvidia prefered. My Dell 2400 has the slot.

Accept No Substitutes
Also known as "The Least Interesting Man in The World" according to multiple surveys
Unread 12-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
akaSM
:3

akaSM is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. akaSM is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. akaSM is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. akaSM is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. akaSM is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. akaSM is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. akaSM is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world. akaSM is a sparkling bit of joy and beauty in an otherwise harsh and uncaring world.
Send a message via MSN to akaSM Send a message via Yahoo to akaSM

Yeah, getting something that has a decent video card will be kinda hard. I got a laptop around a month ago and, it was 999 USD. I was restricted to buying it not-on-the-interwebs and, was pretty much the best thing I could get with a nice video card and not hugely expensive.

You may find something better online but, right now I think anything with a dedicated video card (I.E. not Intel's stuff) will be over 600 USD, and at that point it'd most likely be a simple card.

After having a look at your PC, you'll be better off getting a new PC instead of buying stuff for your current PC or, getting a laptop. Unless you really really need the laptop.

Last edited by akaSM; 12-27-2012 at 11:07 PM.
akaSM is offline Add to akaSM's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
RobinStarwing
C.M.B.A.S.O.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaSM View Post
Yeah, getting something that has a decent video card will be kinda hard. I got a laptop around a month ago and, it was 999 USD. I was restricted to buying it not-on-the-interwebs and, was pretty much the best thing I could get with a nice video card and not hugely expensive.

You may find something better online but, right now I think anything with a dedicated video card (I.E. not Intel's stuff) will be over 600 USD, and at that point it'd most likely be a simple card.

After having a look at your PC, you'll be better off getting a new PC instead of buying stuff for your current PC or, getting a laptop. Unless you really really need the laptop.
Yeah, I am aiming for the laptop. I don't want "the best" though. I just want a budget one with the most bang for my buck.

Accept No Substitutes
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
shiney
Derrrrrrrrrrrrrp.

shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history. shiney once spliced a monkey with a guinea pig, and well, the rest is history.
Send a message via AIM to shiney Send a message via Yahoo to shiney

Microcenter, goddammit. They frequently have deals for mid-range laptops in the $3-$400 price range.
Unread 12-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
synkr0nized
synk-ism

synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law. synkr0nized isn't just above the law -- they are the law.
Send a message via ICQ to synkr0nized Send a message via AIM to synkr0nized Send a message via MSN to synkr0nized Send a message via Skype™ to synkr0nized
Default *shrug* My laptop is shit and runs STO, outside of combat anyway.

You might have luck with a refurb, as well, which would allow you to get a dedicated video card and some fairly good specs in the 500-600 dollar range.

Or maybe keep an eye out on SlickDeals and the like for some decent sales.

Find love.
synkr0nized is offline Add to synkr0nized's Reputation   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
RobinStarwing
C.M.B.A.S.O.B

So been doing my research and a few questions have popped up.

1. Is anything made by Alienware worth it? I am currently looking at the M18x as well as at the website for the place shiney talked about and they have this available at the site.

Basically, which one is better for what I want?

2. Are per month payment plans worth it?

Accept No Substitutes

Last edited by RobinStarwing; 01-04-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
Nikose Tyris
Trash Goblin

Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday! Nikose Tyris will now be known as Freedom Friday, but still on a Tuesday!
Send a message via AIM to Nikose Tyris Send a message via MSN to Nikose Tyris Send a message via Yahoo to Nikose Tyris Send a message via Skype™ to Nikose Tyris

Per Month Payment Plans will cost you more money and are not worth it, I do not recommend them. They are a poor choice in debt management strategies.

Go with Shiney's recommended one I'm not even going to look at the two links. I just 100% trust Shiney on this one- and finding homegrown local guys to do things is 100% better than doing stuff anywhere else.

Also Alienware is now just rebranded Dell shit. So no.
Nikose Tyris is offline Add to Nikose Tyris's Reputation   Reply With Quote